• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018

    Rant Wednesday! Networking

    Rant Wednesday! Networking


    Rant Wednesday!

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:13 PM PDT

    It's Wednesday! Time to get that crap that's been bugging you off your chest! In the interests of spicing things up a bit around here, we're going to try out a Rant Wednesday thread for you all to vent your frustrations. Feel free to vent about vendors, co-workers, price of scotch or anything else network related.

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix and Amazon Prime Video think my org is a vpn?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:32 AM PDT

    I'm a network admin for a mid-sized public school system. We have about 6500 users natted behind 8 or so IPs. My users at our largest sites are getting blocked when they try to stream video from Netflix or Prime with error messages that basically say, stop using a vpn.

    I'm assuming this is because of the number of connections coming from a single address. And there is some kind of automatic blocking on the streaming sites end. I did some quick google-fu and even chatted with a basic support rep at Amazon but I can't get anywhere.

    Does anyone know how I would get these sites to unblock our IP block? Or how to reach out to an actual admin over there instead of a customer support rep?

    submitted by /u/libraryitadmin
    [link] [comments]

    SPF to RJ45 WAN Network question

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 07:52 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Our office is moving very soon to a new location, and since I have been the one with the most networking experience, the whole issue has been moved to me.

    Now I have ordered us some router & switches that are user-friendly enough that if I ever need to pass it on, they don't need a cisco cert to understand the basics. In light of this, I ordered Cisco Meraki MX84 & 2x MS210.

    Since the new building owner also doesn't provide any Internet connection, I was left out shopping for this as well. Now long story short, we found a well priced ISP and they provided us with a neat set of static IPs and hooked us up to wide Internet.

    Now, this is where the issue comes in.

    The email I got from the ISP said the following: "we have connected the fibre and added an SFP 10GBASE to the line". This is pretty cool, until it hit me, the MX84 has SFP ports, but they can't be used for WAN, the WAN port is RJ45 only.

    The SFP device is the following: https://imgur.com/a/xKvrFTL - which is an SFP or SFP+ device? This confuses me, as I'm finding it hard to find any information if there's actually any physical difference between the those plugs.

    So, given a nice little headache and me going back to thinking about how I can solve this. In comes my idea of "Fuck this, we're moving soon, I'll deal with the overhead later".

    Option 1)

    Plug the SFP plug into the switch SFP port (49) put that port on VLAN ACCESS 666, wire copper (CAT6A) from port 48 (VLAN TRUNK 666) to the router WAN port. WAN on the router is set to one of our static IPs, and VLAN 666.

    Disadvantage: we run from switch back to router, to go eventually back to switch to the clients.

    Option 2)

    Plug the SFP plug into the router SFP port (11) put that on VLAN ACCESS 666 and assign it a static IP address from one of the subnet which we received, run a copper cable from one of the router's RJ45 ports to the WAN input, putting that port in trunk 666.

    Disadvantage: we're already losing 1 static IP just to give that SFP port an IP.

    Option 3)

    Call some store, order at the speed of lighting a media converter.

    Disadvantage: it's ugly, it costs more money, it might not arrive in time (putting 50 developers without Internet for a few days)...

    I'm inclined to go for option 1 as we have the overhead on that solution: ISP -> Switch -> Router -> Switch -> Client, but at least we're not losing anything (static IPs, money on media converters, ...)

    Finally, this link is 5 Gbps which was ordered from the ISP, and our devices can currently (we're adding more devices later on) only handle 1Gbit SFP, will this be an issue as well? If it is, all my solutions are void and I'm fucked anyway:-)))).

    The goal is to run option 1, until we complete the upgrade of the network, at which point I can order MX250s and just plug the SFP directly into the WAN SFP+ port of the MX250.

    Any help would be much appreciated (and thanks for sticking with me till the end).

    Hoder

    submitted by /u/Hoder_
    [link] [comments]

    need help on dual homing switches

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 07:40 AM PDT

    We're upgrading our core and the old one has our access-layer switches dual homed: 2 different vlans going to 2 different cores. The new (hp) core is running vsf (2 cores but logically 1). Since we're not yet upgrading the access layer switches, we'll probably stay with the old (at least 7 yo) design. We can't do etherchannel/trunk since a lot of the links we have are different speeds and i haven't had luck getting 2 brands to work (hp and alcatel). Is there a potential flaw/risk in this kind of design? If so what would be an alternative?

    submitted by /u/d3adbor3d2
    [link] [comments]

    SPAN into Cisco ACI (not within)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:15 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. In summary I'm trying to get external (to ACI) SPAN traffic into a VM that happens to sit behind ACI network (VMM dom).

    So far I've got an EPG that consists of a physical dom linking the external b-leaf port accepting the SPAN traffic and of course the correct VMM dom to the VM with Promiscuous mode is enabled.

    However I'm not seeing any of the SPAN'd traffic hit the VM.
    From the EPG -> Operational TAB I can see that ACI has all the mac addressing as expected for the BD.

    If any one has done similar or has any pointers please let me know?

    Regards,

    TC4

    submitted by /u/tauceti4
    [link] [comments]

    Assigned carrier address space - can I use a .0?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:41 AM PDT

    I was assigned a /28 from a carrier as additional NAT address space. I've used everything from .1 - .15, but not .0. I've never tried this before, but would it be possible to have a host use the .0 address?

    On a LAN where it's a broadcast domain I wouldn't bother trying, but this would be a pure routed solution. Seeing as how I have already assigned and used the "broadcast" address of the subnet, that's where I'm coming from and questioning whether I can use the network address.

    submitted by /u/InternetPersonv6
    [link] [comments]

    Differences Between APC NetShelter Models?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    I've read some good posts on APC NetShelters here but I'm a bit lost on exactly what differentiates some of the models.

    I'm looking at 42u units in 1070mm depth, and I can see that there's the AR3140 for $2,250 and then the AR3150 for $1,650. They seem to have the same dimensions, and the only difference I can see in the specs is that the 3150 has a slightly higher max mounting depth and a slightly lower minimum mounting depth.

    Other than that, I'm lost. So could anyone fill me in on what other differences there might be, and why one might pick the 3140 over the 3150?

    submitted by /u/Apptubrutae
    [link] [comments]

    Spine/Leaf Management Tools

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:02 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am curious what people are using to manage and deploy spine/leaf fabrics. The only thing I've seen is CORD, but even that doesn't look like its for deployment, more just statistics. Currently everything is done via CLI, but I'm hoping to automate some deployment with SDN.

    submitted by /u/lynch11561
    [link] [comments]

    DWDM over 140km DF?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:32 AM PDT

    We are looking at getting a DF pair over 140km. We'd like to run a handful of 10G circuits over it. It seems like a passive mux/demux with pre-amplifier tops out at around 120km (fs.com) - is our only option to get it regen'd along the path? My knowledge of long haul fiber runs is a bit lacking.

    submitted by /u/runelind
    [link] [comments]

    UK WAN Provider

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 05:17 AM PDT

    So our MPLS WAN contract is up for renewal. We have a small netowrk of 100+ sites spread over the UK and Europe. We are looking at our options and so far are underwhelmed by what our suppliers are offering so I am looking for recommendation for managed WAN provider, or recommendations for who to avoid.

    Current offerings is just re-enter contract with existing supplier (not something we want) or they've offered us a solution using Meraki hardware.

    As it is a managed solution I don't mind what hardware they are using as long as we have the relevant SLAs etc but from reading reviews of Meraki it seems it may not be the best for the price.

    Is there anyone out there who can recommend a good provider who they have experience of using that aren't a complete nightmare to deal with? (if these even exist!)

    submitted by /u/twunkypunk
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco [NX-OS] Port Number Names?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    Is there anywhere a full list of all the port numbers that a Cisco device (Nexus switch in particular) will use in place of a numeric value in an access list?

    For example if I configure the following ACL:

    ip access-list TEST permit tcp any any eq 80 permit tcp any any eq 443 

    When I look at the running config it is represented like this:

    ip access-list TEST 10 permit tcp any any eq www 20 permit tcp any any eq 443 

    The "80" has been replaced by WWW. I know it uses the official IANA port names (as defined at here,) however it doesn't use them all, for instance it doesn't replace '443' with 'HTTPS'.

    I am automating our access-control lists using NX-API REST and it also returns the textual form of port numbers. To ensure consistency I have to convert the textual form back to numeric where appropriate, but I don't know where I can find a full list. I could of course create an ACL and try to add every single port number, but perhaps someone knows where a definitive list is available?

    submitted by /u/rankinrez
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie to home networking. Need help deciding.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:35 PM PDT

    Sorry if this thread has already been posted. Just bought a new home and I had my builders pre wire all the rooms with cat6 cable. I want to know the big differences in 568A and 568B standards. My house is all ready keystoned to 568A. I'm getting ready to patch the cables to my patch panel. Should I take the extra time and re-keystone all my jacks to 568B? Will all my electronics work with 568B? Examples: smart tv's, Xbox, ps4? I'm planing on doing all Ubiquiti equipment for my home network. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/EL_RICHY
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice. What is the industry standard to connect remote worker locations to multiple customers without having the customer build a tunnel for each employee?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:13 PM PDT

    Crude diagram here: https://i.imgur.com/U3QbVXM.png

    FYI, not trying to do anything cheaply/free, just need to know best practice. All tunnels are IPSEC VPN tunnels and each employee is a remote worker.

    submitted by /u/jackwhaines
    [link] [comments]

    Data Center Bridging - need some help...

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:33 AM PDT

    Just to preface this - i've raised calls with both Microsoft and Dell and read the documentation extensively but I don't seem to be getting very far. Hoping someone who has real world experience of this could offer some insight...

    We have a Hyper-V cluster supported by a pair of Dell s4048T switches. Each host has 4 NICs, 2 of these will be dedicated to ISCSI so the DCB element is only required on the remaining two which will run all cluster and server traffic. We're looking to use ETS to allocate bandwidth to certain traffic types over the non ISCSI pair of NICS, specifically live migration and cluster, with a default for everything else. My config is below

    On each cluster node

    Get-NetQOSTrafficClass

    Name Algorithm Bandwidth(%) Priority PolicySet IfIndex --------- ------------ -------- --------- ------- ------- [Default] ETS 45 0-2,5-7 Global LiveMigration ETS 50 3 Global Cluster ETS 5 4 Global 

    Get-NetQOSPolicy

    Name : Cluster Owner : Group Policy (Machine) NetworkProfile : All Precedence : 127 Template : Cluster JobObject : PriorityValue : 4 Name : Default Owner : Group Policy (Machine) NetworkProfile : All Precedence : 127 Template : Default JobObject : PriorityValue : 0 Name : LiveMigration Owner : Group Policy (Machine) NetworkProfile : All Precedence : 127 Template : LiveMigration JobObject : PriorityValue : 3 

    Additionally - QOS is disabled for the iscsi adapters and enabled for the remaining.

    Switch Config

    service-class dynamic dot1p dcb enable dcb-map SET priority-group 1 bandwidth 50 pfc off priority-group 2 bandwidth 45 pfc off priority-group 3 bandwidth 5 pfc off priority-pgid 2 2 2 1 3 2 2 2 

    Each interface connecting to the hosts (non iscsi) nics then has the dcb-map assigned.

    Testing

    The reason I don't think it's working is that when testing, the live migration is saturating the link. For example, if I live migrate 5 VMs and move a large (30GB) file simultaneously, the fire transfer speed drops to a fraction of the link speed until the live migration has finished. If I amend the percentages to be in favour of default traffic with a 95/5 split, the same behaviour occurs.

    I feel like i'm misunderstanding something fundamental about how DCB works or how this should be configured, can anyone offer any input?

    submitted by /u/lunghook
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco WLC and AP help

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 02:39 PM PDT

    I've never had to set up WLC in my life until this week so I apologize in advance if this question is stupid BUT does a WLC need its own management VLAN or can I use my regular management vlan? I'll try to explain the set up as best as I can.

    Core switch has a management Vlan 50 (10.50.50.x). I created a wireless vlan 100 (10.50.100.x) for the data. On the WLC I make the management vlan 50, the same as on my core switch. Connect the WLC to the core via trunk. Now when I try to get the AP to join the WLC, it gives me an error message saying something among the lines of wrong subnet/IP. The AP receives the correct IP from DHCP (10.50.100.5 in this example) and unless I tell the AP to send out a unicast to the WLC, it will not join.

    What would be Cisco best practice in terms of setting up the WLC and AP? Should I create a separate management vlan for wireless (for example vlan 110 10.50.110.x) and have the AP and the WLC on that vlan?

    submitted by /u/newengineerhere
    [link] [comments]

    Routing over VPC without dedicated L3 P2P links

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:28 AM PDT

    I will keep it short as I am on mobile.

    I am trying to configure OSPF between core (2x nexus 9k) and distribution (4x nexus 9k) but I see the typical odd routing behaviours over VPC (stuck in exchange/exstart).

    Has anyone ever implemented routing over VPC without using dedicated layer 3 point to point links? I don't want to use up spare ports and organise a trip to the data centre to run more cables. If anyone has achieved this without dedicated links I would very much appreciate some advice, thanks!

    submitted by /u/ciscoislyf
    [link] [comments]

    MCSE or CCNP R&S

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 02:22 PM PDT

    I currently hold CCNA, CEH, and Sec+. Work is paying for a boot camp of my choice. Not sure if I should go for ccnp or mcse.i enjoy working with both at work but I don't know which is more beneficial to pursue or is more beneficial to have. Should I concentrate on networking? Or build a more diverse skill set with an OS specific cert like windows.

    Anyone ever been in a similar situation before? Not sure what would be best in the long run.

    submitted by /u/Repairmanmanman1
    [link] [comments]

    4 Fiber lines murged into 2 bigger fiber lines?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 02:17 PM PDT

    So I ran into something while I was going through our DC.

    We have 2 separate cages in our DC, that are connected with a inter-dc link. This link is run over 4 strands of fiber to a patch panel in each cage. From the patch panel, these 4 2-strand cable run out individually, and then in the cable run are then merged into two thicker fiber cables (same on both sides) and then is delivered into one port of each of our Nexus 5k core switches. I've never seen this kind of in-line fiber merge before.

    They are terminating on N55-M4Q cards in the Nexus (QSFP+ card), and each has 2 active channel/connections. Logically this all make sense, I've just never seen fiber merged on the fly like this previously.

    I'm curious, is something like this normal?

    submitted by /u/rushaz
    [link] [comments]

    Routing for DMZ to DMZ communication between sites?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:58 PM PDT

    I am trying to set up communication between two DMZs that exist in each of our data centers, and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the routing logic required to make that happen. I have included a Visio of how the traffic I envision the traffic would flow between the two sites, but I'm having some trouble understanding how I can have traffic destined for a subnet, let's say 172.16.1.0/24 get to the firewall (in step 3 of the diagram) and also be routed properly over the DCI (in step 4). Getting the traffic to the Site A firewall is easy, but I'm missing something for the remainder of the path.

    If I create a route on the Site A core switch to point traffic destined for 172.16.1.0/24 to the firewall, and then a route on the firewall to point the traffic back to the core router so that it can traverse the DCI over to Site B, that obviously won't work very well.

    How would you handle this particular configuration? Switches are Juniper and firewalls are Palo Alto.

    Quick ugly Visio of the topology and the traffic path: https://i.imgur.com/rvzGLfB.png

    submitted by /u/zer0trust
    [link] [comments]

    SC to LC Multi mode fiber connection issue when using FMC and SFP

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:49 PM PDT

    Running Multi mode 1300nm (the 2km variety) fiber network. Have a bunch of fiber media converters (FMC) that take an dual SC connector and magically turns it into a ethernet connection. I recently purchased Trendnet TI-G102 switches with SFP ports and would like to directly connect to the MM fiber feed using Trendnet's MMFiber module TE100-MGBFX. These are all unmanaged devices, yet I don't get a link light when the fiber is connected. I made sure to run them TX > RX and RX> TX. I tried 62.5/125 and 50/125mm MM fiber patch panels, but to no avail.

    However, I can go from one SC FMC to another SC FMC without issue as well as one LC SFP to another LC SFP without issue. So why not an SC to LC?

    Is there some restriction that makes it difficult to go from an SC to LC connector?

    submitted by /u/lthrhx
    [link] [comments]

    Ubiquiti NanoBeam M2 not broadcasting SSID in AP mode

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:38 PM PDT

    Hey guys and gals, I'm having an issue with a nanobeam trying to set it up as an access point. We have a customer in our WISP network that has our service and is working just fine. We have a mini tp link switch in place. I'm just running into an issue with the SSID not broadcasting so phones or any device can see it. This was working previously before a storm hit and the other AP died. The guy before me had it set up and I'm not sure what he did to make it work. Any suggestions??

    submitted by /u/Freakin_Hashtag
    [link] [comments]

    Network Tools

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    What networking monitoring tool would everyone suggest? I work for a rural phone/internet/tv provider. Would like something that does graphing as well.

    submitted by /u/mdr76
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended Reading for Campus Network Design?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:59 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I apologise if this isn't allowed here or I've not displayed enough effort to warrant an educational question.

    I'm just heading into my final year my degree programme and my project involves evaluating network technology within a model I've to create of a medium-sized campus network in Riverbed Modeller/OPNET. I intend to evaluate the performance of EIGRP and OSPF within this model and implement a routed access layer in an attempt to make it more modern and help it stand out a bit more. My biggest obstacle I believe will be the design and creation of this model as my results (and by extension my paper) will be garbage if it's not fit for purpose - so I'm looking to see if you gents have any other recommended reading on the topic.

    My library has 3 Cisco books I'll be checking out: Designing Cisco Network Services (ARCH) Implementing Cisco Switched Networks (SWITCH) Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESIGN)

    Just checking if anyone has any recommendations or tips outwith these books and whatever design documents are available on the Cisco website. I'm eager to do well, but not have anyone do it for me, so any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/The_Gastronaut
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help determining which switch traffic is flowing through

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:46 AM PDT

    I have a Hyper-V guest that has 2 vNICs on 2 different subnets, both on the same VLAN ID 2 within a virtual switch.

    The host that the guest resides on has direct connections to a SAN switch and a server switch that contain the 2 subnets, the SAN switch communicates on VLAN 1, the server switch on VLAN 2.

    What I cannot determine at the moment is how the guest is able to communicate to the SAN considering the vSwitch it's on is using VLAN 2 not VLAN 1 and I cannot tell which physical switch the guests packets are flowing through.

    I have tried tracert (shows next hop is the destination)

    I have tried netstat (shows on-link, so direct connection)

    I have tried Wireshark; however, I am not certain exactly what to look for with packet flow, when I do an ICMP request it simply shows the source and destination but not the path of how it gets there (i.e. which physical switch)

    Anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Justbegin
    [link] [comments]

    Subnet scheme for transit networks best practices

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:25 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    We are beginning to move away from large layer 2 networks and spanned vlans at our sites. I am looking for suggestions on subnet choice for the new /30 transit networks we will have. So right now for our devices, clients, servers we assign a 10.X.0.0/16 to each of our locations and subnet that into multiple /24's and smaller. For transit L3 interfaces I assume it is best to use networks outside of that /16. Would it be a good idea to dedicate a /24 range at each site for transit use? Such as 10.8.1.0/24 for Site 1, 10.8.2.0/24 for Site 2. Site 1 transit network 1 is 10.8.1.0/30. Transit network 2 is 10.8.1.4/30 etc etc. Any suggestion would be appreciated, we are just trying to make growth easier and avoid future headaches.

    submitted by /u/Brev-ity
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel