• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018

    Linux Why doesnt academia embrace Linux in open arms?

    Linux Why doesnt academia embrace Linux in open arms?


    Why doesnt academia embrace Linux in open arms?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:10 PM PDT

    Given that Linux is a collaborative open source software project and that universities are generally known for adhering to collaboration and open standards, it makes me wonder my many universities use Windows as the most common operating system for university computers. I think that Linux is such a missed opportunity for academia since getting more people to use Linux would ultimately help the Linux community in the long run.

    So it makes me wonder, why doesn't academia embrace Linux in open arms and use it to power most computers on campus?

    submitted by /u/mgunt
    [link] [comments]

    Gamers, how did you make the change?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:21 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I'm interested into migrating to linux, but my main hobby right now is gaming(although, thats terrible for my studying overall).
    I've tried to use the OS in dual-boot, and in a VM, and that simply doesn't cut it.
    I almost never go into the OS by my own free will.
    I've been wondering for a while since there's Steam Proton ( and right now i have no idea how that works), maybe i should force myself out of my comfort zone by just installing ubuntu and just push through my lazyness.
    Last time i had a few issues though, once i've installed the system and tried to install the ASUS Geforce 1060 dual drivers, it crapped it's pants and i had no login screen, also my headset (logitech G430) kept making myself rear the mic on the headphones, and that was slowly driving me mad.

    Anyways, i've rambled a lot but to sum it up, i'm into my comfort zone, and feel like linux might be a way out to kickstart my learning (SQL, GIT, Programming in general, and i feel like Linux is a great addition to my resume as well).
    Obligatory sorry for the bad english, not my native language.

    submitted by /u/linuxthrowawayBR
    [link] [comments]

    Dual desktop environments (KDE & i3): start i3 with minimal number of programs (for better battery life)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    On a single boot, I want to be able to start an i3 session for when I'm on the go and need longer battery life.

    I would like to start i3 with the minimum number of processes running.

    After a quick search I found a short youtube tutorial

    Would that be the best way to achieve this ?

    submitted by /u/Remos
    [link] [comments]

    Won't restart

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:44 AM PDT

    So I've got a debian VM going but for some reason it will not reboot. When I try to reboot, it will shut down the services and then gets to

    [ok] Unmounting local filesystems...done.

    [info] Will now restart

    [ 61.095269] connection1:0: ping timeout of 5 secs expired, recv timeout 5, last rx 4294905052, last ping 4294906304, now 4294907556

    Then it just hangs there. Can't ping or SSH. If I power it off, it will start back up normally but I can't seem to reboot it.

    Pretty new to debian/linux so I'm not sure where to really start looking. Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/Harbec
    [link] [comments]

    how to install non-built in app in mint19 like built in one, telegram for example?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:10 AM PDT

    hello, every time i want to use telegram app i must run ./telgram in the terminal how can i install it and arrange it in menu list.

    submitted by /u/lyn_gy4n
    [link] [comments]

    How to maintain an OS in a pen-drive?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:10 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I know the title is kinda vague, so here are the details. My laptop is running gnome with ubuntu 16.04, but it gets very slow and lags when I use pycharm or chrome. So I want to try a lightweight os. I made a live usb of linux mint with xfce and it's a much much faster experience than gnome. So, I would like to use it.

    But the thing is, I am not ready to uninstall gnome yet. So I want to use mint xfce out of the usb. I am able to boot and use mint no problem (infact I am making this post from mint), but I lose all my installed softaware if I reboot the system.

    Is there anyway I can use mint without making another partition?

    submitted by /u/cant-find-user-name
    [link] [comments]

    How do I use the paritition tool in Ubuntu?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:58 PM PDT

    (Please forgive that I am posting a lot in a single months due to my noobness)

    So far Ubuntu seem very stable so I decided to shave off a 150 Gigabytes from Windows 10 partition to my Ubuntu but the tool in Windows 10 aren't powerful and I can't add it to Ubuntuwithout deleting the Ubuntu using that tool so I decided to use the tool in Ubuntu but it is very confusing.

    Btw, this is a little off topic but I thought I only have 750GB hard disk drive, not three extra SSD/HDD, That could explain the bootloader RAID screen What should I do with these?

    submitted by /u/MissingCodePlaGames
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu - Can I have 2 displays with only 1 screen using TeamViewer?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:25 AM PDT

    I have a tower running Ubuntu plugged into my TV. I remote in using Teamviewer on my laptop.

    I want to have 2 separate displays.

    Display 1. To my TV showing whatever I'm streaming.

    Display 2. To my laptop via Teamviewer

    The aim is to be able to play Football Manager on my laptop via Teamviewer whilst showing a movie on the TV.

    Is there anyway to do this?

    In case it matters, I don't have a 2nd screen that I can plug into the tower.

    Edit:

    If possible please ELI'm the dumbest person you've ever met. I have found this but I can't make heads or tails of it.

    submitted by /u/tronaldodumpo
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone recommend a USB Wi-Fi adapter that works well with Linux?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:16 AM PDT

    I need a USB Wi-Fi adapter for my Linux box, preferably from a reputable brand, is capable of 802.11ac and is dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), though I can settle for 802.11n and 2.4 GHz if that is the only option.

    I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 but I would prefer something that works with most Linux distros.

    Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AgreeableLandscape3
    [link] [comments]

    How do i run this simple driver for a digital signature token on linux

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:40 AM PDT

    Hello.

    i have been trying to switch to linux and this one particular thing is not coming up is using a digital signature certificate made by various manufacturers which do claim to support linux although they dont have any documentation i could get hold of or understand.

    here are the drivers.

    http://charteredinfo.com/DSC/DSCTokenDrivers.aspx

    http://www.e-mudhra.com/repository/

    can anyone try to install the linux versions of the drivers and get a gui running? there is a readme in one epass 2003 driver installation folder which says something about green library and also running some config files. there is one" pki manager" which in a pdf shows the right gui but i dont know how to run it

    submitted by /u/Archiver_test4
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any storyboarding software available on Linux?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:11 AM PDT

    I'm a photographer and I shoot images that are like scenes from a movie. There are so many moving parts and sometimes it can look right in your head, but the day of the shoot you weren't prepared for some additional factor.

    Back when I used to make short films, I would storyboard the entire movie with a Windows software, I believe it was called, FrameForge, however, I don't think it came with lens options or anything, just a way of creating the scene in mind. I'm, unfortunately for myself, so bad at drawing that my stick figures look like they've been bludgeoned.

    Anyone know of software like that for Linux that could help me create the scene in mind?

    submitted by /u/Aniform
    [link] [comments]

    How to update pycharm or open it with write access?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:02 AM PDT

    I have been going crazy trying all sorts of things in the terminal but nothing is working.

    mcpe-commander@mcpecommander-HP-EliteBook-8440p:~$ sudo pycharm sudo: pycharm: command not found mcpe-commander@mcpecommander-HP-EliteBook-8440p:~$ sudo pycharm.sh sudo: pycharm.sh: command not found mcpe-commander@mcpecommander-HP-EliteBook-8440p:~$ sudo ./pycharm.sh sudo: ./pycharm.sh: command not found 

    It does not want to open pycharm like it does not exist. I am on linux mint 19 I have already tried googling as much as I can.

    P.S:I started linux around a month ago so go easy on me guys.

    submitted by /u/mcpecommander
    [link] [comments]

    VMWare Horizon Client application wont start after running installer on Linux Mint 19.1. Many components failed to install or appear to be missing.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:59 AM PDT

    I downloaded and ran the VMWare Horizon Client version 4.4 64 bit client and ran the installer using bash. The installer appeared to run and I scanned at the end of the install and it looked like many components failed. Any tips on how to resolve these for linux mint 19.1? Is the application even compatible with mint 19.1?

    Edit: Here is a screenshot of the final output from the installation:

    [https://postimg.cc/JDhRRgdG]

    submitted by /u/PercussionGuy33
    [link] [comments]

    Which of these is a better way to install Linux?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:25 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am completely new to the world of Linux so I apologise for this question that is probably stupid, but I want to make sure I do everything right. My goal is to run Linux on my Windows 10 Pro PC, purely to use my VPN in alongside a few other applications.

    After doing some research, I have found two ways that I can install Linux (Ubuntu to be specific, as from what I've heard this distribution is the most noob-friendly). The first way is to install it through Hyper-V. I have enabled Hyper-V on my PC so I believe I just need to get the Ubuntu ISO, although it seems to have Ubuntu already in it? Does this mean I don't need the ISO and can just run it through that way?

    The second option is to get it through the Microsoft Store. Are there any disadvantages to this compared to the above method? For example, does it have any limitations? Will there be a GUI?

    just to repeat, the only reason I want Linux is to use my VPN inside it alongside some other applications to create my own HTPC (Home theater PC). I will keep Plex (my media center) on my normal OS. I would be grateful for some advice for a complete Linux noob such as myself.

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/_Epir_
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 18.04 will not connect to the internet - wireless nor wired

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:55 PM PDT

    I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 alongside Windows 10 on my ASUS Vivobook S. My attempts to connect to the internet somehow have been... infuriating. It tells me that there is no Wi-Fi adapter found, the Bluetooth is stuck at either Off or Airplane Mode (I've searched it and apparently it's a bug?), and wired tethering to my phone doesn't work either; it doesn't detect that my laptop is connected at all.

    All I've found includes downloading from Github or applications by connecting to the internet in another way first, but obviously I can't do that. I also don't have an ethernet port on my laptop. I've installed Linux on a separate, new SSD if that makes any difference.

    If anyone could help me connect with at least one of the three options, I'd be golden for the rest of it. I'd appreciate it a lot.

    submitted by /u/CannibalCaramel
    [link] [comments]

    shortcut key combos to open applications

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:22 AM PDT

    is there a way I can setup key combos like shift + ctrl + s to open the screenshot app?

    submitted by /u/littleredryanhood
    [link] [comments]

    Request: Suggestions for testing distribution

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:21 AM PDT

    I'm working on a Dell ultrabook, want to rule out any (Windows 10) OS or driver issues. What I need is a Live Linux distribution that I can put on a bootable USB flash drive.

    The simpler the better. According to Windows the processor is throttled to .11 Ghz so command line only could be workable as long as there are commands that will allow me to read the temperature readings, and Intel SpeedStep settings/condition.

    submitted by /u/timotheusd313
    [link] [comments]

    How to Replace one Linux Distro With Another in Dual Boot [Guide]

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:51 AM PDT

    Unable to install Clementine/ Amarok

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    • Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

    • 3.6.7

    I wanted to put some music apps and streaming music apps on my laptop. when I tell the package manager to install Clementine. A window pops up saying:

    Additional Software has to be installed. Please take a look at the list of changes below. 6.6mb will be downloaded. 30.1mb more disk space will be used:

    • libqjson (0.8.1-3)
    • liblastfm1 (1.0.9-1)

    I tell it to continue, enter my admin password and then wait. the install bar starts to fill up, it stops and then it goes back to being a regular install button.

    I have restarted, I have removed unused kernels. I have run the apt-get auto-remove option, and am now out of ideas.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

    EDIT: I have around 700gb free on this laptop. So I am pretty sure its not a space issue, but at this point i have no idea.

    submitted by /u/OldTreePuncher
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I start?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:10 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a desktop running Windows 10. I have a 128gb ssd for Windows (and hopefully Windows) and a 1tb storage drive. What should I do to be able to duel boot?

    submitted by /u/alebanari
    [link] [comments]

    How do I manage global volume settings in Ubuntu?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:32 AM PDT

    When I adjust the volume settings in Windows 10 for example every application is following these volume settings.

    When I set it to 25% every application will be on 25% also.

    When I do the same in Ubuntu only system sounds are affected and I have to adjust the volume of every application separately (Firefox and Discord for example)

    submitted by /u/Tywele
    [link] [comments]

    How to make bootable pendrive from .bin file i want try chromium os by neverware, I'm currently using manjaro deepin

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:21 AM PDT

    Steamplay with Radeon HD7850

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:38 AM PDT

    So I'm sure some will see this as dumb and idealistic. But I've switched out my 1070 (I do still have it), with an Radeon HD7850 because I was wanting to use and support a company who was contributing more back into the development of the kernel. Once I got the card installed I tried to launch doom with steamplay and got an error saying it couldn't initialize Vulkan. So after some asking around I was instructed too install Vulkan from the terminal. After doing so I still got the same result. I then switched distros from Fedora 28 (KDE) to Kbuntu so I could install the AMDGPU drivers and hopefully fix the issue. With Ubuntu I have to edit the boot option with "nomodeset" to actually get video and boot into my environment. After installing the drivers I now get a black screen instead of my DE.

    So, long story short I'd like to get my Radeon HD7850 working with Vulkan for steamplay on Fedora or at least something with the KDE environment. Thanks in advance to anyone able to help.

    submitted by /u/Capt1ndustry
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5 Ubuntu 18.04

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 02:42 AM PDT

    Me again (thanks for the loads of helping the other thread, btw! I've been enjoying this learning opportunity a lot). After the issues dual booting this on my main rig with Win10, I managed to find my old one. And boy is it old. To give you an idea, here's the stats;

    • Acer aspire 5253
    • AMD c-50 processor
    • CPU speed 1000 MHz
    • Dual monitor using a 24in vizio tv

    Anyway, I did a fresh, clean install with only ubuntu, minimal install. Only mod so far is Discord. Now, from here I want to install Magic Online (maybe the skills I learn with this environment can be extrapolated to my main rig, heh). I went with this link to attempt to understand;

    https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/9cefm0/howto_install_mtgo_on_osx_and_linux_using_wine/

    What do I need to find in the repository to make this work, from my current point? Wine? I searched that but didn't find anything. Docker? That sounds unsecure from the thread (but I may be misunderstanding) and I'm not sure I want to try that, but if it's safe then it's fine. At the same time, I'm not planning to take this anywhere as it has to stay plugged in anyway so I'm not sure how unsecure the docker method would really be to me, anyway.

    Thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/THEmtg3drinks
    [link] [comments]

    How do I enable encrypted swap space?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:16 AM PDT

    I heard that with Linux you can set up the swap file so that it is encrypted with a random key at boot, which is only stored in RAM. This renders the swap content unreadable after shutting down the computer, which protects the security of data in RAM (like encryption keys, passwords, etc).

    Can anyone point to a reputable tutorial on how to set this up?

    I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.

    submitted by /u/LatterEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel