• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018

    Laptops Was getting an ssd for alienware 17 r2. I'm not understanding the form factor as one shows m on left and other shows on right

    Laptops Was getting an ssd for alienware 17 r2. I'm not understanding the form factor as one shows m on left and other shows on right


    Was getting an ssd for alienware 17 r2. I'm not understanding the form factor as one shows m on left and other shows on right

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 05:40 AM PDT

    DON'T be afraid of repasting, you may save your laptop!

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    TL;DR: Stock thermal paste is sometimes worse than no paste at all.


    I'll try to keep this short since this has probably been posted multiple times but anyway, my MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro that i got last year used to overheat (100 ºC within seconds of stress test) and thermal throttle which defeated the whole point of getting such a chubby notebook to start with. Undervolting maintained temps under 90 so that's what i did and called it a day thinking that i'd eventually repaste.

    Lazy me never gets things done.

    So... a year has passed and finally ordered some very affordable but still above average (and non-conductive) Arctic MX-4, opened the laptop and... what a freaking mess. Holy crap. Looking back i should have taken some pictures since that didn't look like thermal compound, that seemed chewing gum. And there was a lot of it... A LOT.

    So i cleaned it all with alcohol, applied a tiny drop of MX-4 onto each die, reassembled and... now i max out at 60 ºC under full load (transcoding), with the fans in manual mode, instead of 90 like before. I managed to bring temps down by 30 ºC simply by repasting, that's how bad this shit is.

    And i simply don't get it!!!!! They're saving cents by not using something half decent. Come on, i had to void the warranty to fix their mistake.

    submitted by /u/Didi_Midi
    [link] [comments]

    I was gifted a used M18x R2 laptop.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:44 PM PDT

    My friend had it sitting around for a while and told me it didnt work. if i could fix it, then its all mine.

    Reinstalled a new version of windows and replaced a harddrive.

    its running good as new now. exspet the trackpad. which i cant seem to get working. a bit of reshaerch shows a lot of people have that problem with this laptop.

    He doesnt want it back now. but i already have a gaming pc, plus this laptop is so dang big.

    How much do you think i could get for it?

    Here are the specs

    Intel Core i7-3820QM
    (4x2.7GHz + HTT, 3.7GHz Turbo, 22nm, 8MB L3, 45W)

    ChipsetIntel HM77Memory4x4GB Hynix DDR3-1600 (Max 4x8GB)

    Graphics2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 2GB GDDR5 in SLI
    (1344 CUDA cores, 719MHz/3.6GHz core/memory clocks, 256-bit memory bus

    )Display18.4" LED Glossy 16:9 1080p (1920x1080)
    Samsung 184HT (SEC5448)

    Hard Drive(s)2x Samsung PM830 256GB SATA 6Gbps SSD in RAID 0
    (includes open mSATA slot and third 2.5" drive bay)

    Optical DriveSlot-loading Blu-ray/DVDRW Combo (HL-DT-ST CA30N)

    NetworkingAtheros AR8151 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
    Killer Wireless-N 1103 Network Adapter
    Bluetooth 4.0

    AudioSoundBlaster Recon3Di (CA0132) HD Audio
    Stereo speakers with subwoofer
    S/PDIF, mic, and two headphone jacks

    Battery12-Cell, 11.1V, 97Wh

    submitted by /u/Pardytime76
    [link] [comments]

    Razer blade 15 4K vs aero15x vs gs65

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:37 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a gaming laptop with good speakers , ergonomics and a vibrant and bright display..I really love the blade 15 but the QC Issues really freak me out..razer isn't official where I live and so replacement ain't an option.. please gimme some suggestions

    submitted by /u/Hemukurra
    [link] [comments]

    Need help deciding between laptops (Comparison)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 02:09 PM PDT

    The two laptops I am looking at are Acer Nitro 5 models. They are both £700 right now with a few differences.

    This is the first one

    This is the second one

    Here are some differences between them:

    • GPU: 1050ti 4GB v 1050 4GB
    • CPU: i5-7300HQ v i5-8300H
    • Storage: 256GB SSD v 1TB HDD

    I need help deciding if the CPU upgrade is worth the GPU downgrade from 1050ti to non ti. Also, is it possible to add an SSD to the 2nd laptop? I know that it is possible to add an HDD to the first so I assume it is the same across these models.

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/SirMrTom
    [link] [comments]

    13 or 15 inch?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:25 AM PDT

    Little background: I'm a cybersecurity student at a community college. My 15 inch HP just died on me. All I've ever used is 15 inch laptops. I bought a Lenovo Yoga 730 15", and I like it, but I've been wondering if I should trade it in and pick up a 13 inch instead. Some info:

    -I take my laptop to class twice a week for note taking. All of my CS classes are taught in computer labs, so no need for it there. -I don't have a desktop at home, so it'll be my primary computer. -Don't play games on it or anything. Mostly basic stuff, with some VM stuff at home.

    Is there any other advantage to a 13 inch other than portability? Should I hold onto the 15 or trade in for a 13? Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/BlueLiner58
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone knows if the Ideapad 720s is getting an upgrade/rework/successor this year?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:04 PM PDT

    Are the surface’s laptops durable?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:54 AM PDT

    Hi! So I'm planning on buying a new laptop in a couple of days, but I'm still unsure which one, I was going to wait until the rumoured new MacBook Air, but I don't know when it if it's going to be released and right know I'm using an old laptop that works really bad and has awful battery (btw I'm a political science student, so my needs are pretty basic). My options are the 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro (no Touch Bar), the Surface Laptop or the Surface Pro (which where I live has a big discount and includes de type cover). The problem is that I always had bad experiences with windows laptops in terms of durability, and I need one that will last me at least for three years, it's true that those laptops were cheap and full of unnecessary software, but I just don't want to make a bad investment again. Any advice? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/aebb11
    [link] [comments]

    I have found a pc and i would like your thoughts.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:54 AM PDT

    I have found a cheap pc for 787 USD and I would like your thoughts on the specs and if you think they are good. Planning to use this pc for a long time. Here the specs: https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05848817

    i have also written them down here if you dont want to click on the link

    Edit: I need it to school work, browsing the net and to use photoshop and adobe after effects (i dont render long videos). Maybe some light gaming on lowsettings.

    Model name:HP Pavilion 14-bf188no

    Basic info

    screen size 14'

    Wheight 1,5 kg

    Processor

    Type of processor: Intel Core i5 8th gen

    CPU number/model: i5-8250U

    Number of cores : 4

    Speed (GHz): 1,69

    Storage

    Ram Type: DDR4

    Ram: 8GB

    Type of Storage: SSD

    Graphic

    Intel UHD graphics

    submitted by /u/xamza1608
    [link] [comments]

    [BUYING HELP] When Is the best time to buy a new laptop? (Dell)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:38 PM PDT

    I'm planning on buying the Dell G5 15 but I am unsure as to when is best to buy it discounts-wise. At the moment I qualify for student discounts so I get 10% off of it, however, Christmas is coming up and I'm not sure if I should wait until I buy?

    submitted by /u/theomossey
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me chose between HP OMEN 15-CE006NE and DELL G5-1048941-BLK

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 12:17 PM PDT

    G7 alternatives or wait

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:07 AM PDT

    Looking for something just like the G7 but without the massive bezels. Seems like to get a 1060 in anything remotely sleek is going to cost over $1500, is there anything comparable now or just wait for 2019?

    submitted by /u/Bwhippped
    [link] [comments]

    Spectre x360 15 Vega is going back and XPS 15 9570 is coming home. Is it a right choice?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:59 AM PDT

    Ok, so here is what happened.

    I bought a HP Spectre x360 15t with Vega graphics for $1239 during the Labor day sale. It is core i7 8705G, 16GB, 512GB SSD, Vega M 4gb. I got the laptop, but somehow don't like the off centered keyboard and touchpad, slippery surface. I didn't like the clicky keys and touchpad texture either. But rest of stuff like screen, speakers were fine. Samsung SSD is great. In my limited use, I found the fan kicking in frequently even doing simple browsing(even when BIOS always turn on fan being off). Also, even after multiple tries in Raedon control panel, Chrome would still go back to using integrated graphics and not playing 4K videos smoothly. Honestly, I started worrying this Vega graphics can become a pain point with drivers and such.

    I tried a XPS 15 at Microsoft store. I instantly liked the rubbery keyboard area and centered keyboard (I was long time X1 carbon user). Also, like the slightly smaller form factor. I found a Dell outlet deal yesterday on XPS 15 9570 - i7 8750H,16GB, 256GB SSD, 1050TI 4gb. It came with a year warranty. Deal was $1429. I bit the bullet and now planning to send HP back. I don't plan to change PC for next 3-4 years at least. I thought Dell will be a better one even though it is ~$200 pricier coz it has a better processor and graphics. Also, heard people here telling XPS are sturdier and last longer.

    Did I make the right choice? Are the refurbs as good as new like they claim? What are the things I need to test out as soon as the laptop arrives?

    submitted by /u/robolifeforme
    [link] [comments]

    Aero15x broken less than 24 hours out of box. Help.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:37 AM PDT

    Received the laptop yesterday, did the setup, ran fine. Left it over night to install some games that were quite large and didn't have time to do during the day. Wake up to the setup page and now it wont boot. Did I do something wrong or did I just shell out over 2k for a laptop that didn't last 24 hours?

    submitted by /u/Noktuah
    [link] [comments]

    Inspiron 2-in-1 15.6" 4K

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:34 AM PDT

    Background: coming from a Mackbook Pro (15" early 2013 model). I broke it on a flight recently (crushed it w/ the chair). Back when I got it, it was great to have Unix, enough screen real estate b/c of the Retina display to actually do work (development), as well as watch videos in nice resolution. Now, I think I'm just gonna go dual boot, mainly using Linux with Windows 10 on there for logging into my office from time to time.

    Looking at the aforementioned Inspiron, I'm pretty surprised by the specs compared to others from Dell (and other manufacturers). I don't have any 4k videos and likely won't for a long time, but for coding,1080p is not going to be enough for me, which is why I am digging this. The retina at 15.5" or whatever it is was just barely enough screen. I could probably even live w/ an i5 and 8GB of ram but won't gawk at more. (For the record, this will be mainly NodeJS development... with a little C++). I won't be gaming on it. As long as it can play 1080p videos back, I should be good as far as media is concerned.

    While this model seems to have some decent reviews it's hard to find many due to all of the Inspiron variants. I get a lot of hits for old models when Googling and they don't read so well. Is my logic for liking this model sound? The cheapest XPS w/ that resolution is quite pricey. Another contender is the new Huawei MateBook X Pro. Seems to have a nice screen for pretty cheap. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/kiss-o-matic
    [link] [comments]

    What laptop specs do I need?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:40 AM PDT

    I'm need to buy a new laptop and I need to be able to edit 4k videos it, as well as run games.

    What kind of processor do I need for this and what type of graphic card would be suitable?

    Any model suggestions, thanks in advance?

    submitted by /u/K_Byrd2
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 13 fans coming on far too easily

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:50 AM PDT

    I have a Dell XPS ultrabook from a couple of years ago and I find that the fans come on far too easily and the battery isn't good at all. I have disabled basically all the startup processes and check task manager but sometimes even with just a couple of Edge tabs open the fans start going.

    Is there any way I can stop this? A lot of times random things I don't recognise show up on task manager. I've also never done a full reset of the laptop in the 2 years or so that I've had it. Do you think this would be a good idea?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/sashley520
    [link] [comments]

    Display quality of HP EliteBook 745 G5 Touch

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:37 AM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade my X220 and have an excellent offer for an HP EliteBook 745 G5 (~900 EUR).

    It has an obligatory touchscreen display (14" IPS 1920x1080), which I have no experience with and don't really want/need.

    Does the touchscreen property impact the display quality?

    submitted by /u/boolean_is_null
    [link] [comments]

    is it enough?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:17 AM PDT

    I am interested in buying a gaming laptop that will include 1tb hdd as well as a 32gb intel optane memory accelerator. thus putting all my programs games and ultimately the os on the hard drive. is it sufficient?

    submitted by /u/sniperloaf
    [link] [comments]

    Was getting an ssd for alienware 17 r2. I'm not understanding the form factor as one shows m on left and other shows on right

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 05:28 AM PDT

    Fed up with Asus quality control...other options?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:24 PM PDT

    I got an Asus 13 Zenbook UX331UA and the screen had this weird thing where it would flicker blue-ish for 1 second occasionally especially if I were typing and it was quite distracting (as if I had highlighted the screen). I updated the drivers and everything but it kept happening. I didn't keep it long, but I noticed eye fatigue with the matte screen.

    I got a replacement hoping the weird blue flash wouldn't be a problem with this new one. Nope, it kept happening. I turned off the "night light" as I thought it might just be that it turns off the warm tone for 1 second and yes it did get better, but my eyes hated the matte screen. I couldn't lower the brightness as that made it way worse. I installed Flux an it was also flickering even more.

    I then returned that and got the ASUS ZenBook 13 UX331UN-WS51T which has a touchscreen that I really don't want, but I figured with the Nvidia graphic card and glossy screen would solve my issues. Now the trackpad is noisy and makes a loud click sound even with the slightest touch and feels loose. My sister has the Asus Zenbook Flip with the same trackpad and hers doesn't do that. It's completely silent.

    I'm MAD.

    What other brands of similar laptops should I look into?

    submitted by /u/throwawayy8970
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for college

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:26 AM PDT

    So I am about to enter college and my course would be computer science. I am trying to find the best laptop that is worth around 1000$-1300$. I wanted it to be light as much as possible and for light gaming also. Some of my choices where the dell g7 and hp omen (2018), but i am still looking for more suggestions.

    submitted by /u/hotbluedesiderata
    [link] [comments]

    Keycap replacement, need help.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:19 AM PDT

    Hey, I got a ASUS GU501GM with a missing seven key, it just fell off and although covered by warranty, I use this for work and cannot wait the 14 days for them to replace a keycap. I cannot find a replacement key for this anywhere, I really need help with it. It has the same keyboard as the ASUS Zephyrus M (also known as ASUS GM501GM) I know that for sure, I dont know about any other asus keyboards though. Its the seven key on the top number row and it has a scissor switch. The metal on the keyboard meant for holding the keycap in is still fine and completely straight, the plastic on the key just broke.

    Please help me

    submitted by /u/c1n3ma
    [link] [comments]

    What Laptop should i get ? (EU/Germany)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    Hello ! I will buy a Laptop for university and i already looked out some: Dell XPS 15 with i5 8th Gen 8gb ddr4 256gb SSD and GTX 1050 without Touchscreen vor around 1330€(including a hardcase) Huawei Matebook X Pro with Touchscreen and 3k Screen (3:2) with 256gb SSD 8gb Lpddr3 and a mx150 with 2gb gddr5 for 1000€ The dell XPS 13 with the actually Version seems to suck hard when i read reviews etc. (Also dell sub) So i really dont Know. I want Touchscreen but with my Budget of around 1400€ IT Just Looks Like i cant Aufford a good slim one. Without Touchscreen i dont Know there are so much Laptops .. I will usw the Laptop for mainly Uni stuff but i want a high Quality Laptop. Also for progrMming etc. Pleased recommend me Something i come Frustrated from the whole laptop Theme sorry for formatting am mobile

    submitted by /u/RailingRailRoad
    [link] [comments]

    XPS 13" 2-n-1 vs Surface Book 2

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    I've narrowed myself down to these two options. Both are thin, light and are available with an i7 processor. I've been using an iPad Pro for three years now and it's no longer meeting my needs.

    I need the following things from a laptop:

    1 - Mobility - I'm in construction and I'm in the field a lot. I need something I can carry around with me, quickly set up, or even use as a tablet while walking through a building.

    2 - General business use, including spreadsheet work.

    3 - Mobile platform for photo work - I'm an amateur photographer. I want something that will allow me to review photos and do editing in lightroom and photoshop.

    4 - Gaming - Fornite, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Kerbal (some of my desktop go to's). (This is honestly the lowest priority).

    The one downside I see with the XPS 13 is no standalone GPU. I'm honestly not sure how that effects using lightroom or photoshop. The surface book 2, however, seems to have issues with it's GPU due to the removable screen. It also has very devise reviews online.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/erikh42
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel