• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, September 24, 2018

    Linux This feels more like a hardware problem than a software issue because it happens before GRUB even starts usually, but has anyone seen this before? I can't do anything besides turn the laptop off. Happens every time I boot.

    Linux This feels more like a hardware problem than a software issue because it happens before GRUB even starts usually, but has anyone seen this before? I can't do anything besides turn the laptop off. Happens every time I boot.


    This feels more like a hardware problem than a software issue because it happens before GRUB even starts usually, but has anyone seen this before? I can't do anything besides turn the laptop off. Happens every time I boot.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:21 AM PDT

    I am searching for a terminal text editor with these features...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:58 AM PDT

    Actually it's not exactly a Linux-related question, but I don't know where to ask it and people from here are more qualified to answer this question anyway

    I am searching for a terminal text editor for writing fiction and I need the availability of certain features (from the program itself or through plugins).

    • Spellchecker (not only for English, but also other languages like Portuguese), if I can activate more than one language it would be great since some texts of mine are in multiple languages.
    • Possibility to visually wrap text without actually breaking lines where I can naturally move the cursor like in a graphic text editor. Even when I am working with programming code or HTML I prefer this way.
    • This one is very important: possibility to easily add unicode characters (I use en dashes and em dashes a lot). For example, Vim has the awesome plugin unicode.vim where I just have to write "dash" then type Ctrl-X Ctrl-Z and I have a list with many characters, very simple and quick.

    For now I am trying Vim, but I am facing some problems with this program and trying to solve them, that's why I am searching for other alternatives.

    If there are not terminal editors with these three features besides Vim, you may suggest me graphic text editors with spellchecker and possibility to easily add unicode characters

    submitted by /u/Rasolar
    [link] [comments]

    Okay, so I can't find much of answer in this regard: Is there an analogy to .msi or .exe installers in Linux for those who don't have a reliable Internet connection, or for just sharing between 2 people?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:41 PM PDT

    As far as I know, the standard way to install packages on Linux is grabbing them from repos using a package manager of some sort, but how would one add and upgrade packages if they *did* have some way to download things off the internet but their actual computer was isolated. I'm very much thinking about these two use cases, and cases like them:

    1. Someone might live in a place with no internet access, such as a rural town out in the boonies, but every month or so they make a trip to the city. On Windows, that person has the ability to download those installers, maybe from a relative's computer or an internet cafe, and place them on a pen drive, bring the drive home, then install the programs locally.
    2. Somewhat the same deal: a person who usually doesn't get to connect to the internet sees someone else running a program they like on, say, a laptop. If that other person kept the installer around in storage, they could hypothetically give a copy, which could then be installed locally.

    I don't know if there's a simple solution there that I just overlooked, but all my google-fu hasn't been enough to give me a negative or positive answer. I just started using Solus 2 days ago, and I think one has the option of unpacking downloaded eopkg files, but I have no idea if there's anything universal about how that works on something like Ubuntu or Arch.

    submitted by /u/sniperFLO
    [link] [comments]

    How to see what applications are opening output connections ?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:42 PM PDT

    Maybe not a n00b question, but:

    I'm using Mint 19 Cinnamon. I've set up iptables to stop most incoming connections, and have a VPN going. But how can I log each time any application makes an outgoing connection ? I can't tell how many updaters and services and such are running in the background and doing things on the network.

    I see discussion of this, such as https://superuser.com/questions/34782/with-linux-iptables-is-it-possible-to-log-the-process-command-name-that-initiat and https://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/monitor-net-connections.html But they seem to conclude that there's no easy way to do it with app names shown. All you get is PIDs that are no longer valid by the time you'll see the log.

    You can get instantaneous snapshots (not cumulative logs) by running "ss -tp" or "netstat -A inet -p".

    I tried to look for some package that might do it, but got lost, there are a bazillion firewall-addon or firewall-wrapper packages. And I don't want to run something that requires tons of knowledge and configuration, such as maybe Wireshark.

    Help, please.

    submitted by /u/billdietrich1
    [link] [comments]

    Hi all, I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy guy and I'm looking at buying/building a computer, can someone please take the time to ELI5 why should I go Linux over the others?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 09:39 PM PDT

    Sorry if this the wrong sub, But can someone please help me. I'm looking at spending a fair bit on this as a I want a computer that wont get slow or lag etc... Obviously I'll buy the parts needed but when it comes to OS, I'm so stuck.

    Grew up on Windows as I'm sure most people did, I used to love that shit man, but every version that comes out I find more and more annoying and actively want to avoid it, It's also so ugly now.

    I do kind of like the aesthetics of IOS and also the Aesthetics of Apple products in general, I find them very ergonomic but I know through friends who know their stuff, internet communities and general consensus that you are mostly paying for the logo.

    I don't really know too much more about other OS's but Linux is my next go-to I suppose.

    I will be using my PC for Gaming. I won't be streaming or anything, I'll download a PS2 and gameboy emulator to play through yu-gi-oh tag force GX and the old pokemon games. I'll chuck a bit of Rollercoaster tycoon 2 in there and maybe an MMO-RPG.

    I'll use it for watching stuff, Obv I'll buy a great graphics card and screen.

    I'll use it for downloading A LOT, using music production software and accessing TOR.

    Other than that, just the general emails, Reddit and other stuff.

    Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I'm of the awareness level where I could be easily mislead and lied to in a shop so I've come here.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Hey_-_-_Zeus
    [link] [comments]

    Prettyping - Make The Output Of Ping Command Prettier And Easier To Read

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:22 AM PDT

    Understanding permissions: how to allow a program permission to delete files in a directory

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    Background info: I created a raid array and then created a directory photos, however the program I'm using to edit these photos seems to be lacking the permission to delete files from this directory. Here's the output from ls -al:

    -rw-rw-r--. 1 lentils_and_lettuce lentils_and_lettuce 1355 Sep 24 16:49 DSC_3032.NEF.xmp

    I'd like to give a program permission to delete files in a directory, what's the best practice to do this? Should I do chmod + 777 or is that overkill?

    Follow-up question, when a new directory or file is created how are the permissions which it inherits determined?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lentils_and_lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Epson l365 (a printer and a scanner) scanner not working

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:51 PM PDT

    So I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop. I was able to get the printer working using these and these drivers. I just can't get the scanner to work. I tried installing this package bu it only helps to recognise the scanner in programs like spimplescan. What do I do?

    Edit: Fixed a link

    submitted by /u/myrealnameisnt5
    [link] [comments]

    "Filesystem root" has only 752.0 MB disk space remaining

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:12 PM PDT

    bricked dual boot linux on separate drive

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 02:36 AM PDT

    I have windows 10 on my first hard drive installed and bought a second one to install ubuntu which went well. I updated my graphics driver and the whole system crashed and I can't boot into linux anymore.

    Now, how do I try to fix this problem? There is nothing important on my linux so I could delete and reinstall completely. I used "sudo update-grub" to install the dual boot. If I format my drive will I still get the boot menu where I can choose between w10 and linux?

    submitted by /u/oppoi
    [link] [comments]

    Making the jump

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:02 AM PDT

    Okay, so I've been a windows user all my life. I'm on Win10 with my laptop (Acer e5-573). Then I saw all the backend junk Microsoft has in Win10 and I'm disappointed; I want to distance myself from that. I've only barely heard of linux, but it's been somewhat likened to the recent slant toward the FOSS take I've brought my s8+ toward.

    So I read a well written introductory article about four beginner distros. Of those I liked what "Solus" had to offer, and I even went to their website to learn more. I like it. But I feel so.....overwhelmed. How do I start from here?

    I don't need much, really;

    • watch video content in firefox

    • discord

    • Open Office (though I guess Docs suffices if I need something saved online/multiperson edited.

    • Photoshop CS2 (I hate GIMP)

    • Magic: the Gathering Online

    • I'd like to keep my Nestopia/SNES emulator, but I'm not married to it if Linux doesn't support these.

    Help please.

    submitted by /u/THEmtg3drinks
    [link] [comments]

    Which one do I download Debian installer?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 02:39 PM PDT

    http://i.imgur.com/ul4Q91m.png

    Which one do I pick? I just want to boot up Debian and install it. I clicked the 64 bit option and it brought me to this menu with many options.

    submitted by /u/Case963
    [link] [comments]

    Learning the meet n potatoes of linux

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:03 PM PDT

    I've been using linux mint on and off for a few years. I used it the same as windows, using the software and package manager. Cruising the interwebs and doing some photo editing etc.
    I recently F'd up my mint 19, was trying to move my /home folder to a separate partition and kinda lost it and/or wiped it. After a lot of help from people on reddit and linuxmintforums I was able to recover some of it. I also combined both old partitions to make a 180 gig partition so I won't run out of room anytime soon. I installed mint 19 MATE which I have been really enjoying. But, the one issue I have had was trying to find and learn more info about how linux works, how you work with it and what I can do for you.
    I'm not sure if they are good sites that have info, if that's something I need to read in a book or if its just learning from "doing" it.
    Over the last week I have learned quite a bit about partitioning and how that works. I still have a lot of trouble with the terminal and you will probably laugh but I have atrophy in both of my hands and arms so using the terminal is hard because sometimes I cant feel my fingers. Thank god for auto correct (just not in the terminal lol) BUT.. I still want to learn how to use the terminal, such as installing things that are not found in software manager.
    Thanks for listening and if you have any thoughts thanks as well.

    submitted by /u/deepindawoods
    [link] [comments]

    Backup and restore a linux machine

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:42 AM PDT

    Hi friends,

    i am not quite sure if its a noob question but i feel like it is one. So making a backup of your data is quite important. I have a cronjob with an rsync script . I use rsync like this in it.

    /usr/bin/rsync -ax --exclude={"/var/log/*","/tmp/*"} --del $path $backup 

    I backup the whole root directory. Now i came to the realisation if i would try to copy it all back in after a crash or something wouldn't there be a problem with all the file ownerships and file permissions?
    Is there a better way to backup my data to restore it in case of a crash?

    thanks for all the help.

    submitted by /u/what_is_this_admin
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to download Ubuntu and in the installation this came up what should I do

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:44 AM PDT

    Is there any way to center the clock on the XFCE panel? Separators on both sides leave it slightly off-center. (Manjaro)

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:30 AM PDT

    Files gone after rewriting superblocks using mkfs.ext4 -S

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:19 AM PDT

    Hey! Today my laptop running KDE Neon booted up to the grub 2 terminal. I tried multiple things to fix this. Last resort was running mkfs.ext4 -S to fix the alleged corrupted superblocks on my filesystem. This ran for less than a minute. Afterwards I ran fsck using Gparted. Now Gparted tells me that the partition is basically empty, i.e. it looks like a clean install.

    I tried both testdisk and photorec with no success. I also tried mounting /dev/sda2 (the partition) using different superblocks using mount -o sb=<block> /dev/sda2 /mnt/data/
    with the following error:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so.

    Output of dmesg | tail:

    [ 991.743066] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

    [ 998.813738] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

    [ 1191.053798] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

    [ 1359.445884] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

    [ 1447.482002] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

    [ 1555.788399] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

    [ 1641.827793] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

    [ 1682.722472] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

    [ 1798.426418] sda: sda1 sda2 sda3

    [ 2300.503335] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

    Mounting /dev/sda2 without specificying a superblock does work, but it only contains an empty lost+found directory.

    Any tips? Thanks!!!!!!!

    submitted by /u/plshelpmefixthisshit
    [link] [comments]

    Best Adobe Premier Pro (& After Effects) alternative for Linux?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    The only reason I've kept Windows as my secondary OS is for the ease of video editing.

    Few text animations for my video depends on Adobe After effects projects (I bought them from videohive).

    Can something similar be done on Linux?

    I've no idea - help me out.

    submitted by /u/Soul_Predator
    [link] [comments]

    Test Linux Distributions in Your Browser No Downloads or Install Required

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:00 AM PDT

    Looking for a distro good for privacy/security as well as gaming

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:28 AM PDT

    Also for those who do game on a linux, do you find that Wine supports most games that Windows is able to run? Would one be able to torrent?

    submitted by /u/SeniorBolognese
    [link] [comments]

    Welcome message SSHing into my server

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:25 AM PDT

    Does any one know how to remove/edit this peice of text when sshing into my server?

    I have checked the following 

    /etc/motd /etc/banner /etc/bash.bashrc ~/motd

    Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64)

    * Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com

    * Management: https://landscape.canonical.com

    * Support: https://ubuntu.com/advantage

    System information as of Mon Sep 24 07:19:22 UTC 2018

    System load: 0.0 Processes: 84

    Usage of /: 11.0% of 19.63GB Users logged in: 0

    Memory usage: 36% IP address for ens3: 45.76.57.154

    Swap usage: 0%

    * Read about Ubuntu updates for L1 Terminal Fault Vulnerabilities (L1TF).

    - https://ubu.one/L1TF

    * Having fun with some surprising Linux desktop apps... Alan keeps

    the family entertained over the summer/winter holidays.

    - https://bit.ly/top_10_entertainment_apps

    * Want to make a highly secure kiosk, smart display or touchscreen?

    Here's a step-by-step tutorial for a rainy weekend, or a startup.

    - https://bit.ly/secure-kiosk

    * Canonical Livepatch is available for installation.

    - Reduce system reboots and improve kernel security. Activate at:/

    https://ubuntu.com/livepatch

    83 packages can be updated.

    37 updates are security updates.

    submitted by /u/Arctic_emerald
    [link] [comments]

    Add .iso to grub2

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:21 AM PDT

    I want to add some .iso files to my grub menu and I find it more problematic than expected. When googling, I keep finding methods how to add bootable Linux iso images, but pretty much nothing about other kinds.

    I would like to add things like:

    - a Macrium Reflect restore.iso to create/restore partition images to/from a secondary hard drive (I find it better for my needs than Clonezilla because it's easier to browse the images without restoring them first)

    - Hiren's Boot CD, because it's surprisingly useful still and the included Parted Magic, although outdated, would serve well as an emergency live linux boot if the operating system(s) fail for whatever reason, but the computer still boots to GRUB

    I know I can just use a bootable USB stick with all the utilities I want, but sometimes I'm either too lazy to search for it or simply forget it and leave it at work ;)

    submitted by /u/relu84
    [link] [comments]

    How do I put my computer to sleep from i3wm?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:48 AM PDT

    I'm using Ubuntu with i3wm and rofi. When I want to shutdown my computer I just type shutdown in rofi. However, when I want to make it go to sleep (to save power when I'm gonna be away for a while), I execute 'sleep' from rofi but it doesn't do anything. I tried looking around on the internet and there's some mentions of pm-sleep/hibernate/suspend as commands, but when I try to execute them in zsh it just says that there's no such command. Very noob question but I can't figure it out.

    submitted by /u/owd2
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to install qbittorrent, on kde neon and keep getting this error with "./configure", not just here but every time.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 04:48 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel