• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    Linux Learn how to secure your Linux workstation with this great text sheet from the Linux Foundation.

    Linux Learn how to secure your Linux workstation with this great text sheet from the Linux Foundation.


    Learn how to secure your Linux workstation with this great text sheet from the Linux Foundation.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 10:51 PM PDT

    What is this one additional file that counts as link in ls -al

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:57 AM PDT

    For example, if i create directory folder and then another 3 directories there, total number of links to folder will be 5. One link comes from . in folder which addresses itself , 3 links come from .. in newly created directories, what's another one?

    submitted by /u/Barnoul
    [link] [comments]

    Fedora 29 Beta Linux distro now available for download with improved Raspberry Pi support

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:04 AM PDT

    Changing polybar language

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    I am using polybar 3.1.0 and have a module/date. I set it to the format

     [module/date] type = internal/date interval = 5 date = "%A %d.%m.%Y" date-alt = "%A %d.%m.%Y" time = %H:%M time-alt = %H:%M format-prefix = format-prefix-foreground = ${colors.foreground-alt} format-underline = #0a6cf5 

    so that it starts with the name of the current day: Tuesday 25.09.2018 19:44.

    Is it possible to change the language of the day to German?

    submitted by /u/CH_SWB
    [link] [comments]

    What is WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and what is it for?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:48 PM PDT

    I am still struggling to understand what it is and what is it for. Can somebody pleas give me a simple, in-depth explanation of WSL?

    submitted by /u/Dictator_Dedede
    [link] [comments]

    Thinpad Yoga 11

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:06 PM PDT

    I have a thinkpad yoga 11 that my cousin gave me a few years ago. It seems I can only install Ubuntu on it. I've tried a couple different distros but having issues on the install. I'm not having any luck. Is there a BIOS guide where I can see how I need to set it up properly?

    submitted by /u/LuckyOneDuck
    [link] [comments]

    I want to make my system look as close to Windows 98 as possible, can anyone help?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:26 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I had an idea for a fun project. I want to make my linux machine look as close to Windows 98 as possible. I have no real purpose for this other than aesthetics and a way to challenge myself. I've been using linux for about 6 months now and I figured this would be a good way to get to grips with the customization options of the OS.

    Right now Im running Linux Mint Cinnamon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/helium-leeks
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 2500U can't enable vsync

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:50 AM PDT

    Hey. Not a total complete noob here, but I'm really at a loss on this one.

    I bought an Ideapad 330 with Ryzen 2500U APU, I know that I need a linux distro with kernel 4.15+, from there, I tried ubuntu, debian, mx linux and openSUSE. (all of them on kernel 4.18)

    Ubuntu displays a garbled mess even at the installation process (even console output is completely garbled)

    Debian, mx linux and openSUSE installers worked, but when booting on the installed OS, they all gave me blackscreens. (screen backlight on, nothing on it.)

    I figured that adding "nomodeset" on the launch options allows me to have any of them working.

    But then, inxi -G output shows me that they are all using llvmpipe and mesa meaning it is running on software renderer ? ( I'm taking guesses here, I may be wrong)

    I don't care about the higher CPU usage of software renderer but about the lack of vsync on Mesa...
    Even scrolling or drawing boxes on the desktop shows high screen tearing. Youtube vids are bad and VLC output is terrible.

    I actually tried GNOME on mx linux and it looked like vsync was on, but not on VLC nor youtube (opengl output ?)

    If you happen to know magic settings for enabling vsync on Mesa, I would like to try them !

    (I only found fixes of intel, nvidia and amd chips, Ryzen 2500U is a amd chip, but I don't believe it's recognized as such, at least yet.)

    I believe I am mistaking about Mesa being a software renderer, as I read that AMDGPU package works with mesa, maybe that's the gallium llvmpipe part that is software.

    On that too, I don't think AMDGPU package supports Ryzen 2500U (yet) as I didn't not see any changes when installing it.

    (or maybe I did that wrong)

    TL;DR With Ryzen 2500U laptop, I have screen tearing issues, think it's related to gallium llvmpipe mesa being used, but can't seem to have anything other than a blackscreen without "nomodeset" option

    Looking for vsync activation setting systemwide, display environment AND on youtube/VLC.

    submitted by /u/zonzonleraton
    [link] [comments]

    Formatting fedora partitions outside fedora

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:23 AM PDT

    Hi, I was about to install manjaro on my ssd which had fedora installed. There was some issues with booting from my USB stick and it ended up with me doing the thing where you hold the power button for 20 seconds and it resets (or wipes?) the entire thing and whatnot. This was due to me being dumb and not realising I had secure boot on in the first place. Now when I boot into manjaro from the USB stick and the installer tries to write over the fedora partitions it just tells me it can't. Gparted tells me I can't format the ssd because fedora has locked it (there is a key symbol next to the partition)

    After that I figured I could do it in fedora but it seems that I have managed to wipe the os from the ssd while the partitions have remained as if it weren't (?).

    Have I bricked my ssd or can I still fix this?

    submitted by /u/CeramicDog
    [link] [comments]

    SparkyLinux 5.4 GameOver localisation, what keyboard layout is best for this keyboard?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:28 PM PDT

    Moving Linux Mint from HDD to SSD

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:10 AM PDT

    Hey, everyone. So, I'm a relatively new Linux user, and I just want to make sure I do this right, because messing with disks makes me nervous.

    I'm currently dual booting Windows 10 and Linux Mint. W10 is on a 120GB SSD and has around 1.5TB of a 2TB HDD. Mint is installed on a 500GB partition of the HDD, so I could try it out for a bit.

    Well, I really like Mint so far, and just bought a 500GB SSD to install it on. Ideally, I'd like to take everything I have on the HDD partition (about 75.7 GB) and move it over to the 500GB SSD, then use the HDD partion as additional space.

    I installed the SSD, and it's recognized by the system as being there, but I don't know the best way to accomplish this. Old threads I've found suggest using dd, but other say this is dangerous, so I figured I'd get a specialized opinion.

    Thanks in advance! :D

    submitted by /u/SharpieThunderflare
    [link] [comments]

    How to use Linux without password?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:42 AM PDT

    It is so infuriating typing password every few mins that I sometimes just dual boot back to Windows out of sheer frustration. Any way to completely disable password and be in root mode all the time?

    submitted by /u/Merim_10
    [link] [comments]

    I can't for the life of me get Nvidia drivers to give me something other than a blank screen.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:37 AM PDT

    Because of the new Steam Play I decided to upgrade my Linux machine (which is an i5 computer i got from my uncle). I got this GT630 clone which cost less than 30$ when i bought it. And no matter what nonsense I do it always gives me a black screen. i tried apt-get install nvidia-current, apt-get install nvidia-driver-390, downloading from the nvidia site, installing the many smaller numbers, and ubuntudrivers autoinstall. All give the same result of a blank screen which forces me to reinstall Ubuntu.

    I have Ubuntu Bionic Beaver. If you need more info, just ask.

    Edit: Almost success just had to reconfigure the xserver. (for future noobs the command is "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"). However it is now stuck on 480p. I'll see if i can fix it

    submitted by /u/oshaboy
    [link] [comments]

    [Mint] VirtualBox fails when opening a VM

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:08 AM PDT

    When I try to open my Windows VM, I'm greeted with this message.

    Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

    The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing

    'modprobe vboxdrv'

    as root.

    where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

    I've updated everything and, AFAIK, I've updated all of VB's drivers. Running modprobe returns

    modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-33-generic

    submitted by /u/HeloRising
    [link] [comments]

    Vbox guest Ubuntu 18.04 not recognizing enlarged disk

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:03 AM PDT

    The disk size was 40 gb then i started to get warnings of low space available so in host machine (windows 10) i ran VBoxManage modifyhd "D:\vBoxDisks\Ubuntu Desktop 18.04\UbuntuDesktopBoxDisk.vdi" --resize 92160(see screenshot)

    Then boot my Ubuntu guest and ran lsblk -o name,size,type,fstype,mountpoint

    I got this (here im putting only the last lines):

    sda 40G disk └─sda1 40G part LVM2_member ├─ubuntu--vg-root 39G lvm ext4 / └─ubuntu--vg-swap_1 976M lvm swap [SWAP] sr0 55,3M rom iso9660 /media/kmms/VBox_GAs_5.2.18 

    Still showing the 40G instead of the new 90G.

    What i need to do?

    Note: Im using a vbox snapshot but i rebooted the machine after the resizing

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to prebuild a linux distro on a virtual machine for a bare steel install later?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:32 AM PDT

    So I'm building a PC but I'm still researching and buying the various parts I want. That's not super important, but while I'm looking and still building, I'd like to build the Linux OS that I want in a virtual machine on my main laptop so that when I'm done I can just install my prebuilt linux. What I found is how to deploy a clean install to many machines, which isn't what I'm looking for. I imagine the process is similar, but with some changes needed to get it to work. I'm looking at Kubuntu or Arch possibly. Arch has some of the aesthetic I already want, but Kubuntu looks really customizable.

    I'm pretty new to Linux, but any resources that I should read for this very topic would be welcomed.

    And by build, I mean custom themes, settings, etc. My virtual machine can detect a USB drive so that's one issue solved.

    submitted by /u/SuperPants87
    [link] [comments]

    Printing document with custom margins

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:16 AM PDT

    Has anyone successfully printed documents with custom margins?

    I've tried Okular and Evince and haven't been able to get the margins right.

    So basically I have some documents that were created in LibreOffice, with custom margins, and then exported as PDF. I then want to preserve those margins when printing the PDF.

    submitted by /u/42ntarom
    [link] [comments]

    Getting my trackpad working

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:39 AM PDT

    Containization

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:06 AM PDT

    I am switching to Glorious Void Linux from Arch. I wanna start using containers for security reasons, I have heard of chrootjails and docker please no wars. My question is this, what's the difference between the two, and do I need to set them up during the install or can I do it post install? Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/FOSSilized_Daemon
    [link] [comments]

    Backups

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:52 AM PDT

    When doing a backup, because my external drives are not formatted for linux. Can I just go into /documents/backups and copy that .tar to my external drive and be able to use the backup if needed? Thanks

    submitted by /u/deepindawoods
    [link] [comments]

    Setting new theme / colours of GTK programs without restarting them

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:37 AM PDT

    I am using pywal to change my wallpaper and set a new colour scheme with the colours of the wallpaper. I use the command wal -i %s -g && wal-steam where %s is the wallpaper.

    The terminal colours and i3 window decorations are automatically applied, however, the GTK programs stays the same until I close them and reopen them. I tried setting the GTK theme to a different one and then selecting the wal theme again using lxappearance but that only set the new theme to the lxappearance window itself.

    Is there a command that refreshes the theme of all GTK programs without having to close them?

    submitted by /u/CH_SWB
    [link] [comments]

    Mint 19 (grub?) takes over reFind on dual boot with Mac Mojave

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:34 AM PDT

    I installed reFind on my macbook pro to act as a boot selector between Mint and Mac OS. Everything is fine, when I restart from Mac OS and into Mint, but when I do the opposite, it automatically boots into Mint. I have to hold down the <option> key to get back into Mac.

    Any idea what could be wiping my reFind config every time I boot up Mint? I've always understood that installing under Mac OS is best when dealing with Macs and I've never had this happen before. My suspicion is that Grub is throwing its weight around and claiming the EFI partition as its own...but I am honestly perplexed and willing to try almost anything.

    Both installs are fresh and I won't lose any data by starting over from scratch...

    submitted by /u/TiniestGiant79
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint 19 / Mac OS Mojave Dual Boot with reFind Problem

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:33 AM PDT

    I installed reFind on my macbook pro to act as a boot selector between Mint and Mac OS. Everything is fine, when I restart from Mac OS and into Mint, but when I do the opposite, it automatically boots into Mint. I have to hold down the <option> key to get back into Mac.

    Any idea what could be wiping my reFind config every time I boot up Mint? I've always understood that installing under Mac OS is best when dealing with Macs and I've never had this happen before. My suspicion is that Grub is throwing its weight around and claiming the EFI partition as its own...but I am honestly perplexed and willing to try almost anything.

    Both installs are fresh and I won't lose any data by starting over from scratch...

    submitted by /u/TiniestGiant79
    [link] [comments]

    Q about linux environments

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:49 AM PDT

    Hi total noob here , i am about to download linuxmint and was wondering if it's possible to swap environments after i choose 1 ? Say i choose cinnamon and later decide i want to try the other 2 , can i do this without redownloading and reinstalling ?
    I would like to test them and see which one i like the most since i could not find a good side by side comparison video (if you have a good source of this please share) . Cheers

    submitted by /u/adeukis
    [link] [comments]

    upgrade from ubuntu 18 to arch without reinstalling.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:31 AM PDT

    so i have a ubuntu install and what im wondering is how would i go about upgrading from ubuntu to arch without wiping my files, programs and keep my settings as well as the gnome desktop. is this possible with the right commands?

    submitted by /u/drfusterenstein
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel