• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    Laptops [HELP] Spilled water on my Asus Zenbook Flip 14.

    Laptops [HELP] Spilled water on my Asus Zenbook Flip 14.


    [HELP] Spilled water on my Asus Zenbook Flip 14.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    I've scoured the Internet and read many posts and articles about water damage, but I'm a little paranoid and everything seems to contradict, so that's why I'm here.

    Four days ago, I spilled maybe <15 mL of tap water on my keyboard. There were a few drops on the screen and the trackpad too. The laptop was not plugged in. I immediately locked it (not shut down) and wiped down the keyboard and screen. My first mistake was that I turned it on. I absolutely needed it for the rest of the day; I probably used it for 2 more hours. I tested out the keys and everything was working fine. Then, I left it to dry when I got home until the next day, so 3:00 PM - 8:00 AM and I didn't charge it. Right now, it's working perfectly and no problems arose. I have a 1 year warranty that covers accidental damage, but I'm really unable to bring it to a technician or to Asus right now.

    I have a couple questions:

    1. Was enough water spilled to get through the keyboard and cause serious damage? Is the keyboard sealed?
    2. Was the water just external or do you think it got inside and caused/will cause internal damage?
    3. Although no short-term problems came up, will any long-term problems develop? What are some problems that can arise?
    4. Should I be as worried as I am right now?

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/MediocreRequirement
    [link] [comments]

    My weird requirements for a new laptop: great for university, lightweight, under £500 and can run World of Warcraft smoothly. Can you help?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:16 AM PDT

    Hi guys. I've had a HP laptop for about 6 years now and it's done me well, but the hard drive is failing and it sounds like a helicopter when I'm doing work on it.

    I need a cheap-ish laptop that's quiet and will allow me to take notes in lectures, while at the same time having a strong enough processor for mid-tier gaming. Is this possible with my budget?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/OliverB199
    [link] [comments]

    Confused About Windows Recovery Media

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 02:21 PM PDT

    Hello. I recently got a Thinkpad L380 and would like to put Linux on it. However, I'm still undecided as to whether I want to dual-boot or wipe Windows entirely and install my distro of choice on the entire drive. Part of why I haven't decided yet is due to my lack of understanding on the recovery procedure for Windows 10 in case I want to revert to the original configuration of the laptop. Assuming I make a recovery USB drive, let's say in the future I decide I want to put Windows back on my laptop. If I only have Linux installed at the time, I can just boot from the USB recovery drive and re-install Windows, correct? Since the product key is tied to the BIOS I won't have to enter it when installing right? If I'm dual booting and want to go back to only Windows in the future, I'd still need the recovery media correct? But instead of reinstalling Windows I would need to repair it and replace the Linux bootloader with the Windows bootloader? Sorry if these are silly questions, I just want to make sure that whatever changes I make can be undone if I ever want to return to only Windows. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/b3ararms
    [link] [comments]

    I have a strange question. I use a laptop and when i type the screen (lid) bounce/wobbles a bit. basically my question is can this cause damage over time? such as to the hinges or something... thanks in advance!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 02:05 PM PDT

    Could someone tell me if this laptop is worth the price?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:32 AM PDT

    Essentially ive been looking at laptops a while, and this one has caught my eye. It has a decent CPU, 250GB SSD and seems to be a reasonably slick build. Could someone essentially tell me if this is a good laptop or if there is something better for the price?

    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-530s-14-amd-ryzen-7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10180757-pdt.html

    submitted by /u/ItsHardToBeHumble
    [link] [comments]

    The 8th gen lenovo 330 ideapad

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    Normally this is priced the same as the Acer Aspire 5, which makes it not really worth it, but next week it's going on sale (here in denmark) for quite a bit lower than the Acer has been, from what i've seen.

    The specs are:

    Intel Core i5-8250U

    8gb DDR4 ram

    256 GB ssd

    No dedicated gpu, but I don't really need one.

    I've been searching this sub and youtube and not able to find anything on this specific model. Specs seems really good for the price, which is 623 (tax included). Stuff is more expensive here. The Acer Aspire 5 is a whopping 935 usd when not on sale.

    Can anyone comment on build quality? It's the best laptop purely on paper specs i've been able to find. The Acer Aspire 5 is still 780 usd on sale. All these prices are tax included (25%)

    submitted by /u/Vaztes
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any security/privacy focused laptops?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 01:24 PM PDT

    Something out of the box that would be a bit more secure and privacy focused than other laptops? I'm not expecting it to be perfect. I'm just wondering if anything like this exists. Linux or Windows is fine.

    submitted by /u/BAN666
    [link] [comments]

    [x-post][help] Aero 15x v8 Intermittent Fan Whine

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:57 PM PDT

    Laptop keyboards fonts

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:12 PM PDT

    Am i the only one who actualy cares about the font used in the Laptops keyboard ? I find that Razer blade / Macbooks and MS Surface have the best fonts in their keyboards But Asus Msi and other are just pure garbage. If you don't agree ... i don't care.

    submitted by /u/hattaliahmed
    [link] [comments]

    Does undervolting cpu save battery?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:04 AM PDT

    It obviously does but did anyone actually do a proper test?

    I got my Xiaomi mi notebook pro i7/16 and I undervolted it's 8550u CPU by 0,125V. Does anyone know if this will actually do anything to the battery life? AFAIK this should decrease cpu voltage for about 10% but I don't know if this affects it at all loads or just higher loads.

    submitted by /u/Squid2g
    [link] [comments]

    Design trends for budget laptops: 4 GB RAM on-board, 1 slot available

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:01 PM PDT

    I've recently been looking at laptops in the $250-550 range and noticed quite a few laptops with only a single DIMM slot, while 4 GB of RAM is soldered on the motherboard. Why do manufacturers do this?

    submitted by /u/GrapeCloud
    [link] [comments]

    Asus Vivobook

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:49 AM PDT

    Opinions on this laptop for this price? Going to be playing games like LoL and WoW. Also running some 3d modeling programs.

    https://cukusa.com/asus-vivobook-k570-i7-8550u-gaming-laptop-k570ud-ds74.html

    What is the difference between the SSD options?

    submitted by /u/ShroomyBroomy
    [link] [comments]

    My experience with the HP Envyx360 AMD Variant

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:25 AM PDT

    Just wanted to drop this here so anyone looking to buy this laptop is aware what they're getting themselves into.

    I'll start by saying that this laptop is well built and designed; I got the 13" variant and the size and weight is exactly what I was looking for. The keyboard is excellent, and so are the speakers and trackpad. The touch screen and 2-in-1 functionality work seamlessly via the hinges, though I dislike how the screen easily wobbles from any pressure you may put on it while in laptop mode. The AMD card provides solid performance; I played some online games on high graphics and performance-wise it held up extremely well.

    However, all of these praises are for nothing when you consider the cooling management in this device. I purchased the Ryzen 3 variant and hoped I would not be affected by this problem that is seemingly present throughout the AMD range of x360 devices but it truly has ruined this laptop for me. The laptop runs idle at around 45 degrees Celsius / 113 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the first giveaway something is wrong. Running with the HP CoolSense Technology fan control I can honestly say I have never seen worse CPU temperature management in a laptop. Something as simple as watching a HD YouTube video can cause the fans to go very loud, and this is after I removed all the HP shovelware that was clogging my CPU usage. Playing an online game raised the temperatures up to around 75 degrees Celsius / 167 degrees Fahrenheit, even with the 'gaming' fan preset that is only available when plugged in active.

    I would not recommend this laptop unless you get it for a bargain or if you're willing to put up with the noise it makes at all times, or otherwise suffer heavy performance loss at the price of a 'quiet' fan preset HP have generously provided. I will say that the outside of the laptop stays at a moderate temperature in normal use at least, but it's nowhere near a saving grace from the noise. Very disappointing considering the overall build quality, and it blows my mind that HP have released this to the public in this state, where the sound was intense right from the moment I powered the laptop on for the first time.

    edit: I forgot to mention that even in Windows battery saver you'd be lucky to squeeze more than 5.5 hours of web browsing out of this device, with any more CPU-intensive tasks dropping that number considerably. Again, no idea how this got past HP, and I'd hate to imagine a more casual consumer having to put up with the shovelware on top of the noise. Shame on you, HP.

    submitted by /u/bunnytickles
    [link] [comments]

    How do you even find a Lenovo laptop? Is it supposed to be this difficult?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:11 AM PDT

    I'm looking into Lenovo laptops right now. They have a LOT of product lines and, based on the descriptions, each model can come with a wide range of options.

    • Unlike with HP's website, I found no way to make an advanced search to narrow down the choices.
    • Once I ascertained which models could be good for me, I get no info whether such a config really exists. E.g. model X may exist with Y RAM, but there's no telling if such a laptop is really available.
    • Then, even if I knew if it's available, I don't know where it is available. When I'd proceed to buy it, all it does is it lists 20-30 vendors in my area who may have something to do with Lenovo. What, am I supposed to call each one by one to ask whether they have this specific config or not?
    • And what do I do if they don't have it? Should I then call all vendors in a different country?

    Am I missing something very basic here? Or was Lenovo serious about making the process this difficult?

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/chaser__
    [link] [comments]

    Which laptop should I get for school?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:51 AM PDT

    I am a mac user, I know very little about laptops but I am looking for a new one I can use to study, take notes on, etc. I am really interested in the 2-in-1 laptops. I am looking to get the best performance for the price. Right now I am looking a Dell XPS, Surfacebook, Surface pro 3, and HP envy, or any other one that the screen is detachable. What are your recommendations?

    submitted by /u/weclomeb
    [link] [comments]

    Screen had been tinting orange, and now the screen is very, very dark

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:34 AM PDT

    It's an ancient Lenovo, certainly due for replacement. But is there any quick fix I can employ to get another year out of this screen?

    submitted by /u/Walterod
    [link] [comments]

    Would this laptop be worth getting for uni?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:53 AM PDT

    Where to get Lenovo Miix 720?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:01 AM PDT

    I've posted this on a few forums looking for help but here goes. Not even Lenovos own website carries this thing. Is it discontinued or does anyone own/know ANYTHING about this thing? I'm trying to buy it for digital art. Or if anyone has any better recommendations (I won't buy Surface products they use Ntrig and not WACOM). Thanks.

    Edit: I've tried to flair the post but doesn't work on mobile. Can't force desktop.

    submitted by /u/PinkLEDLamp
    [link] [comments]

    Help with replacing a battery.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:29 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm just resorting to reddit after google led me on a runaround.

    I have a HP EliteBook 8730w, bought secondhand with a dead battery. I'm looking for a replacement but all the options are 14.4v instead of the 10.8v of the dead one, that or buy international. I don't know enough to be sure if this will be an issue and I don't even know if the battery I have is right for the laptop I'm using, it was sold dead after all.

    Googling has not brought me to any information on the batteries I can use or how I could determine what specs I need for the battery or even if I need to know anything other than model numbers. As far as I can tell the manual does not specify, the sticker inside the battery slot says 19v and I don't know if I'm asking the right questions.

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TSCHaden
    [link] [comments]

    How well can I game on this version of HP ZBook Studio G5 ?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:03 AM PDT

    What would be the performance of this laptop while playing say witcher 3, dota 2,civ 6? What fps can I expect for each of those games? Would an external graphics card be worth it if this laptop cannot handle these games?

    Laptop:

    HP ZBook Studio G5

    Product type: Mobile workstation

    Processor family: 8th gen Intel® Core™ i7

    Processor model: i7-8750H Coffee Lake

    Internal memory: 16 GB

    Memory slots: 2x SO-DIMM

    Storage: SSD PCI-e NVMe 512 GB

    Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB

    On-board graphics adapter model: Intel UHD graphics 630

    Display diagonal: 15.6"Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels Full HD

    OS: Windows 10 Home - 64 bits UK/NL

    Weight: 2 kg

    Colour of product: Silver

    Including AC-adapter

    I am a 1st year student and I will need to do projects on solidworks CATIA etc. but I love to game and do so regularly, so I am thinking of buying a work station laptop and my university offers this laptop for 1200€ it felt like a really good deal. I am not sure if it is a good deal or if I can game on it?

    TLDR; CAN GAME THIS LAPTOP GUD??

    submitted by /u/astudentengineer
    [link] [comments]

    Toshiba Laptop not detecting the AMD graphics card, only the intel HD card.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 02:07 AM PDT

    Toshiba Satellite L50B23H *All drivers and software have been installed from the toshiba support site. *tried amd drivers direct from amd *radeon graphics is not detected and does not appear in Device Manager (tried with Hidden Devices too) *BIOS has no option for disabling either graphics adapter *was working fine yesterday on win10 before the reinstall of win7 *win7 is fully updated

    submitted by /u/ConstantOffer
    [link] [comments]

    2 in 1's for a digital artist?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:40 AM PDT

    So I know I asked about the Lenovo Miix 720 but I just noticed I can do this here. Sorry--I'm new to this forum. I wanna see what hidden gems may be out there for 2 in 1's. I have done research but it can be very overwhelming. The Lenovo Miix 720 doesn't seem to exist except on EBay, but lacks any kind of extended warranty I imagine.

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1200 or a little above United States.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

      2 in 1 form factor and good specifications due to RAM needs.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? So so. I can go thin to medium.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I would run Maya/Photoshop/Photo editing. No gaming.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? No gaming/indifferent

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I prefer detachable. I will keep the bending in half ones in mind, but eh.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    If I can get away with it, I prefer completely detachable ones but I'll keep the 2 in 1s that fold at the point in mind. I will almost 100% of the time have it in tablet folded mode. I won't take any of the Surface line as a suggestion--I've researched WACOM AES, Ntrig and EMS and by far I want an Aes wacom device that Surface doesnt provide.

    submitted by /u/PinkLEDLamp
    [link] [comments]

    Lenovo Ideapad 530S or ASUS Zenbook 14

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:55 AM PDT

    Both laptops have the specs I'm looking for which is:-

    • 8th Gen I7-8550U
    • 16GB RAM
    • 512GB SSD
    • Decent graphics card (Nvdia MX150 or geforce 1050)

    Ideapad 530S (81EU006SSB) - S$1649
    ASUS Zenbook 14 (UX430UN) - S$1898

    My intention is to use them for studies and some light gaming.

    Which one will you buy? If you own one, how well do they perform when you are gaming?

    Any other recommendations with the stated specs? I need something with decent battery life and portability (<2kg). Thanks

    submitted by /u/finalkian
    [link] [comments]

    FHD laptop with pentium or a HD lapop with ryzen (400€ budget)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:20 AM PDT

    My notebook has just arrived yesterday from amazon, it's an Aspire A3 with a ryzen 3, 6GB RAM and SSD of 256 GB. A good PC overall. The only problem is the monitor, it's a 15,6" HD panel with a bad angle of view. I'm wondering if i should buy a FHD (even Touchscreen) for 400€ instead of this. What do you think? I'm going to university so i don't know what will be the use of my laptop in this years.

    submitted by /u/Hialus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel