• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    Linux Why do some files (usually files not native to Linux, like a .txt, or a code file like .py) have file endings? Most other files in Linux don't, so why do some files have them, and why does Linux know what to do with them?

    Linux Why do some files (usually files not native to Linux, like a .txt, or a code file like .py) have file endings? Most other files in Linux don't, so why do some files have them, and why does Linux know what to do with them?


    Why do some files (usually files not native to Linux, like a .txt, or a code file like .py) have file endings? Most other files in Linux don't, so why do some files have them, and why does Linux know what to do with them?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:43 AM PDT

    So I was taught that files in Linux don't need file endings like in Windows because every file has an identifier on it's first line (if you think of the file as a text document, which all files can be. a non-text file will just be garbled text though) that lets the OS recognize the file as a picture or text file or whatever.

    But some files, usually ones that I've sent to my Linux from my Windows (like a .jpg) or a code file, retain their file endings. Moreover, the file endings actually have some impact on how Linux views them (the file endings aren't just viewed as part of the file name). For example, changing a .py file to a .class file will actively make Linux interpret that file as a file containing code for Java and not Python.

    I'd think that Linux doesn't even have the ability to identify files based on the extension in their name, since it doesn't need to do that (since identifiers are in the files anyways). So what's going on here? Why does changing the file ending do anything, when Linux doesn't rely on file endings at all?

    submitted by /u/DullExperience
    [link] [comments]

    What Linux tutorial would you recommend for a brush up for someone who used Linux 15 years ago?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:12 AM PDT

    When I was in college, I used Linux as my primary OS for 4 years and loved it (Mostly Fedora and Debian and some times Suse). I even wrote this script for a college project: r/https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/cool_tools/sysinfo/

    After I graduated I worked on software development for Windows platform, so I stopped using Linux. Now I am changing tracks and mostly using Python. So I can go back to Linux. I have forgotten vast majority of Linux stuff. I installed Kubuntu 18 day before yesterday and so far I am liking it.

    So what I am looking for is a quick brush up of Linux with emphasis on sys admin and bash.

    submitted by /u/DSLORnapArecRY
    [link] [comments]

    Transfer my existing windows 10 in a virtual machine under Linux

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:45 AM PDT

    Hello mates,

    I'm considering transfering my desktop from Windows 10 to Linux and I was wondering If there's a way to copy my existing windows installation somewhere and just transfer it to a new installation inside a virtual machine after I install Linux...

    The purpose of this is to avoid reinstalling all my softwares and keep all my windows configuration...

    Any good help would be very much appreciated :).

    Thx in advance

    submitted by /u/Congossa
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of screen tearing on YouTube videos and scrolling Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:34 PM PDT

    I have a Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU and 8gb RAM. On the Nvidia control panel thing I forced the pipeline compositor (I believe that's what its called?) But I still get screen tearing when watching YouTube videos, scrolling, and playing games. Is there any other way to fix this? I'm dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows 10 as well.

    submitted by /u/elChespirit0
    [link] [comments]

    Can i make windows and linux share a partition??

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:40 AM PDT

    So now i have an ssd 128 GiB where linux is installed and a hdd 1TB (2 partitions) 1st partition 500 GiB where windows installed, i need to make the 2nd partition (500 GiB) for saving large media files. And i want to be able to use it on linux and on windows to share files between these two systems??

    What should i do?? what file system should I use ???

    2nd question:

    Can i download a file from internet directly to an external hard disk on linux??

    submitted by /u/boseka
    [link] [comments]

    Cozy is a Cozy Little Audiobook Player for Linux

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:58 AM PDT

    Is lxde the lightest desktop environment?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:01 AM PDT

    I got an old PC lying around with an Intel g3220, 4gb ddr3 ram and a radeon 7770. Need something very lightweight and stable.

    submitted by /u/What_R_YOU_Doin_Here
    [link] [comments]

    Audio script for sharing sound on laptop with my son?? Or something simple but over my newbhead.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:39 AM PDT

    So, there are these pbs games that my son plays. I want to play an audiobook but still have him interact and hear the game when he clicks on characters and they talk, etc. I'd like my audiobook to either turn off and on or do something like that so that we can share the sound.

    omg better yet, or can i have my audiobook play on headphones and his play on the speaker. My specs are like a super lean i3 no gui arch using alsamixer and ncmpccp. my sons games and interactive books are on firefox.

    will somebody brainstorm with me. thx.amill. kaleena

    submitted by /u/trekgirl47
    [link] [comments]

    New laptop--who to get windows license numberbefore installing linux

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:47 AM PDT

    I bought a nice new Lenovo T480s laptop to upgrade from a failing linux T450s. I want to get the windows 10 license off it before I wipe the disk to install linux. I'll reinstall windows in a virtual machine once I get linux installed. But I can't find the windows license number. Any help is appreciated. I've been running windows 7 for years in a virtual machine under linux, but not windows 10. Anything I need to be aware of regarding windows 10 in a virtual machine that might be different from windows 7

    EDIT: the title should be how not who ;-)

    submitted by /u/rnclark
    [link] [comments]

    What Linux distribution should I use as a beginner?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:21 AM PDT

    I was thinking either Debian or Ubuntu, and are there any good free/cheap learning resources for whichever I should use?

    submitted by /u/CiscoRockatansky
    [link] [comments]

    When i load in my middle monitor is isnt showing anything

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:27 AM PDT

    Lurker running Manjaro on 2400g

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 01:34 PM PDT

    Wanted to thank the Linux community as a whole. I been lurking around and had Lubuntu on an old MacBook, recently deceased. Just installed Manjaro on my home pc that has 2400g Ryzen APU. I struggled for a few hours trying to get Ubuntu to work but gave up and saw that Manjaro worked well with it from a few comments around. Had it up and running in very short order after choosing Manjaro. The set up do it was way easier than my old MacBook. A tip for anyone else making an install USB for Manjaro in Windows don't use Rufus it does not install correctly and get stuck on grub. Use ImageWriter. Still a noob but I learn a little every day.

    submitted by /u/spaceman2spiff
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anything that can make it so that my files DO have file extensions, even if they're unneeded in Linux? Personally I found them really convenient on Windows, and I don't see any real reason not to have them, even if they're unneeded.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:46 AM PDT

    I know that files are identified by an identifier on their first line, which is why Linux files don't have file endings. But I liked file endings a lot. Isn't it nice to be able to tell what a file is/does without having to open it? In Windows I could open up a folder and immediately have a lot of information about the folder and the files within it, just from the file endings.

    I also don't see a drawback to file endings. If it's a matter of speed or something (like your file explorer has to load file endings...? No idea if that's how it works, but this is the only possible drawback of file endings I can think of) then I'm okay that, since I was fine with Windows Explorer's speed.

    Is there a program or anything in Linux that re-enables file endings? Maybe a file explorer, or an add-on to a file explorer? It doesn't sound very difficult to do, I guess you'd have to assign a name to every type of file that is unique to Linux, but I'd honestly be fine with learning those if it means having the convenience of file endings.

    Any ideas are appreciated!

    submitted by /u/DullExperience
    [link] [comments]

    Manjaro

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 07:36 PM PDT

    I was looking to test manjaro on my machine but every time I use rufus to make a bootable usb with the iso from their website it fails. It gives me some GRUB error. It takes me into some recovery command prompt. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/ninjagarcia
    [link] [comments]

    Guide on how to boot a Samsung ATIV Book 4 laptop from a USB memory

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    This is a guide on to how to boot a Samsung ATIV Book 4 laptop from a USB memory. I had plenty of trouble of figuring out how to get my laptop to boot a Linux distribution ISO that was on a USB memory and I'd like to help others who are in a similar predicament. (More precisely, the USB memory wasn't recognized as a bootable device in the boot menu without some tweaking.) I do not know if this solution also applies to other Samsung ATIV Book versions, but if yours has the same problem it's worth a try.

    It is presupposed that the USB memory stick already contains an ISO image of the operative system.

    1. When starting the laptop, repeatedly press F2 in order to access the BIOS boot menu.

    2. Go to tab "Advanced" and set Fast BIOS Mode to [Disabled].

    3. Go to tab "Boot" and set Secure Boot to [Disabled].

    4. When step 3 has been done, another configuration called OS Mode Selection becomes available in the same menu. Set this to [CSM OS].

    5. Press F10 in order to save and reset.

    6. When your computer is starting up, repeatedly press F10 in order to access the boot menu. Here, you should be able to select your USB memory. (In my case it was listed as its brand/model name.)

    submitted by /u/booting-from-usb
    [link] [comments]

    Arch Linux installation: partition

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:55 AM PDT

    This is my first install of Arch Linux.I want to keep this simple and partition the drive in the simplest way possible like how in Manjaro I'm able to click the option to partition the whole disk. I am reading the Wiki and it sent me to a page stating that a single root partition is the simplest and should be enough for most use cases. This single root partition option looks like the option I want but am unsure yet.

    submitted by /u/Case963
    [link] [comments]

    Using Command Key

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:37 AM PDT

    Hello, I looked this up, but it kept telling me to use xmodmap. How do I find that? I am on Ubuntu 18.04 on a MBA.

    submitted by /u/plasticScript
    [link] [comments]

    Question about OS/DE integration

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:17 AM PDT

    Budgie is to Solus what Cinnamon is to Linux Mint what GNOME is to Fedora what KDE is to Neon... You get the point.

    Are there any other distros in which the desktop environment is also maintained/developed by the OS developers? Are there ones for, say, MATE or XFCE?

    As I try to wind down my distro choice, I'm finding that I prefer those distros that are more integrated with their DEs. GNOME, for example, ran much better in Fedora than it did in Ubuntu; Budgie ran better in Solus than it did in Ubuntu Budgie, etc.

    submitted by /u/FeralAlleyCat
    [link] [comments]

    Ralink RT3290 chip....Did i just pick a shitty compatible device or is this common issues? Can i chanege it? Whats a good compatible choice?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:25 AM PDT

    So switched from windows10 to linux..because i needa stop avoiding it and learn it.

    apparently my laptop has a Ralink RT3290 chip..and apparently its very shitty with linux...

    1.) First issue, had to go find and download and install drivers to use my wireless usb doggle as i guess none come with linux mint already.....alright kinda wtf but i'll live after figuring it all out...

    2.) Now apparently bluetooth on linux dosnt work with this chip..i get "No blue tooth adapter found"...I psoted this and thankfully someone poitned me int he right direction but ....after following 2 different directions step by step it still dosnt work and now i feel iv downloaded shit i have no idea what it is and or how to remove it now....*shrug* okkkkk.....

    So are these common issues when using linux or did my laptop just come unfortunately with a really bad part for capability?........

    submitted by /u/I_jay_bike
    [link] [comments]

    Steam

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:03 AM PDT

    I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before. I've installed LinuxMint w/ Cinnamon on my wife's potato laptop due to some complications with Windows. I'm trying to run a Steam game (RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe to be exact) but the Steam store said it wasn't available on Linux Steam. So I installed PlayOnLinux w/ Steam for Windows. Everything went well but I can't seem to get the games to download. I keep getting (content servers unreachable). I read somewhere to try running Steam through Wine version 3.8 but that didn't work. Any help for a complete Linux noob?

    submitted by /u/CrazyCatLadysHusband
    [link] [comments]

    How to get Linux to use my 1060 graphics card?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:01 AM PDT

    Specs: Dell G3 3579 15.6" Intel Core i5-8300H Processor 2.3GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM 1TB Hybrid Hard Drive+8GB

    submitted by /u/TheTux305
    [link] [comments]

    Elan trackpad memory leak

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:56 AM PDT

    My Asus laptop has the ELAN1200:00 04F3:3090 Touchpad

    This trackpad has always been a bug in my ear but I turned it off in the settings and use an external mouse which works fine for me.

    The issue is the process irq/131-ELAN120 is constantly using around 10% of the processor, I suspect this ain't normal.

    submitted by /u/TheFingerTron
    [link] [comments]

    problems trying to install Ubuntu Mate...is my pc toast?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    I have a 5 y/o Lenovo Yoga 2 with 4 GB RAM that was giving me fits running Windows 10 - lots of crashes and freezing up. I tried to install Ubuntu Mate but created more problems than solutions. Ubuntu would not install due to disk error and now Win10 was gone as well.
    Replacing the hard drive seemed like a relatively cheap and easy fix so I wiped the drive with DBAN with intentions of replacing it. Just for giggles I attempted the Ubuntu install after the wipe. Received the following errors:
    [ 0.000000] [Firmware Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata: plesae update microcode to version: 0x20 (or later)
    [ 0.32000] [mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 6: ae00000040110a
    [ 0.32000] [mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ABBR ffb07640 MISC 38a0000006
    [ 0.32000] [mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:40651 TIME 1537996692 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 17 0

    My question is this - Are these errors a result of the HDD wipe or are there other issues that make replacing the HDD not a fix.
    Wondering if I should just trash the machine...as much as I hate to..

    I have lots of experience with Windows and related software but am a real noob when it comes to working in terminal, etc. Clueless. I want to salvage this computer if possible, instead of adding to the electronic graveyard.

    Asked this question on askbuntu.com... was directed to a previously posted answer...

    "Just install intel-microcode with sudo apt-get install intel-microcode and reboot."

    How do I I do this when the computer will not boot?

    When I asked a follow-up question it just received down votes...

    submitted by /u/Turovtsin
    [link] [comments]

    Needing Kodi build for Linux Mint

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:20 AM PDT

    Morning friends.

    Any recommendations for a kodi build on linux mint?

    submitted by /u/Mateoalejandrow
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel