• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, September 29, 2018

    IT Career Who loves to subnet?

    IT Career Who loves to subnet?


    Who loves to subnet?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 07:03 PM PDT

    Holy fuck ya mang I'm about to tattoo the power of 2 table on my leg

    submitted by /u/NegNap
    [link] [comments]

    PowerBI vs SSIS Certification?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 09:58 AM PDT

    I work as data developer doing SSIS packages and Power BI reports, I want to get a cert on any of those tools to improve my job options. Which one do you recommend and why?

    my background: working in IT since 2002, most of the time as Application Dev / Web Dev and I moved to reporting (Queries mainly ) two years ago.

    I hold a CS degree and a Master in Tech Management. 1 cert in T-SQL 2008 and 1 in SQL Oracle (developer)

    submitted by /u/redditor3900
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do to make my job search easier?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    I'll start with a bit of background on me, I am a recent college grad in IT technical support and networking from a good 2 year program. I have been coding for 8 years now on side projects as well as ran a web development company and I also built one released SaaS and one soon to be released SaaS. I know Node.js pretty well and PHP to a lesser extent since I have not used it in 3 years.

    I have been a Linux user/admin at home for 3 years now setting up a bunch of different database services, applications, limited docker, Nginx and haproxy. I also have been doing config management for about a year now as well.

    I currently work as a Junior devops at a AI company and handle most of the project work and a little day to day work. Been here for 6 months since I graduated. I have no official certs or anything but do have AWS experience and I have studied for multiple certs but never taken them as I didn't have much money in college and been paid very little since I left college.

    I have had 2 offers so far since I started working from other companies who didn't have HR and were just technical guys who loved me, I turned down both due to either bad office conditions or wanted me to do more legacy coding than DevOps work.

    I have about ~$150 CAD a month I can spend on certs now as well. Suggestions on how I have improve my experience and qualifications to get past HR to the technical interviews?

    submitted by /u/jsdfkljdsafdsu980p
    [link] [comments]

    Which MCSA cert should I pursue?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 05:20 AM PDT

    I am at a very junior level, only have 1 year of IT experience, CCNA r/S and AAS in Network Administration; I just turned 21.

    I have been studying for the MCSA Server 2016 and was struggling. I never use PowerShell, don't do much Windows Server management, no infrastructure experience, etc.

    It had just occurred to me, why not MCSA Windows 10? I looked over some of the material, and I think it would be a much better approach. I can add something to my resume and at the same time learn relevant experience that I can use everyday unlike the crap I was learning on the Server exam.

    What I am looking for is to become a Windows admin, and I think this is a better step for my situation. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/OswaldoLN
    [link] [comments]

    Java or Python?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 08:53 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    What would be the safest programming language to learn for the future? (Java or Python). I'm talking long-term. I currently have a IT services job (which I like) but would like to get into programming after I retire.

    submitted by /u/awesomebro23
    [link] [comments]

    Certifications to help resume for aspiring Systems Analyst?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 12:36 AM PDT

    I mentioned I was planning on getting my Comptia A+ certification and someone said it wouldn't be relevant to Systems Analyst. What would be some good certifications to get and add to my resume?

    submitted by /u/InfiniteStatus66
    [link] [comments]

    Resume advice - No *relevant* work experience

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 05:15 PM PDT

    For someone (else) who just graduated with a B.S. in IT (Software Development): Should they put their work experience on their resume if it's not relevant to computers or IT? Like, grocery store dairy manager, general laborer, etc. He was at each job for over a year, so they may speak to his work ethic or company loyalty, but they're not IT-related.

    submitted by /u/LastLioness
    [link] [comments]

    What is reasonable salary in my situation?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 05:07 PM PDT

    I started at this company doing simple manual testing for their software. Basically, i used their software like a normal user and catch bugs. After 2 months, they asked me to start doing some junior web development work using html, css and JavaScript. I didn't get a raise even though I got more responsibilities that require skills you can't just find anywhere. A month later, Boss asked me to learn automation testing and writing scripts. This was easy because I already know programming (student in computer science). After a week I told him that I am writing automation test scripts for their software. So in a matter of 3 months, I moved from manual tester to junior web developer and automation tester without a raise.

    Our HR send me an email asking what I think about my salary. I asked for 50k (current pay is 25k). I came up with this figure by doing research online. It's been two weeks now and I haven't heard anything. I am giving HR another week and then I will ask for a response. Do you think that is reasonable salary? Did i ask for too much? Or I should have asked for more?

    I live in Phoenix,AZ.

    submitted by /u/may_yoga
    [link] [comments]

    Which field has more entry level jobs? Software or hardware?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 12:15 PM PDT

    Which field has more demand for entry level employees usually. Beginner software programmers, or hardware technicians and admins.

    I almost finished the Comptia+ 901 and 902. I remember looking at indeed and saw a lot of help desk jobs.

    but I wondered. What would it be like with a software training similar to the 901 or 902. How many jobs would you be able to work for.

    Thanks, im just trying to figure out how to get my foot in the door still, and am looking for the best path to get there.

    submitted by /u/ThatsNotRoight
    [link] [comments]

    Should I remove this job from my resume?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 08:36 PM PDT

    Following up from my post (reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/comments/9jsnxs/anyone_willing_to_critique_my_resume/) I wanted to initiate separate discussion surrounding this specific topic. I have a job on my resume that was, well, a mistake. I was unemployed after my previous contract ended, and I accepted an offer that I new was not a good fit for me, then left 5 months later for something that was a lot more suitable.

    Now, I'm debating whether or not it is better to leave it off entirely (essentially, it would be adding a gap of 6 months between jobs to my resume)... what do you think?

    submitted by /u/Throwingawayobviousl
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get better at Technical support roles?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 02:58 PM PDT

    I started a new IT support job about a month ago. I'm on short-term-cover, so each week I'm assigned to different places. Sometimes I might end up in places that I've been before.

    Mostly I just try to take notes on how things are done at the particular center and revise over them. If a problem occurs and I don't know what to do, I'll try to wave a flag and ask someone or just google it. Then if I do find a solution, again just take notes and revise how to do it if the problem occurs again.

    What else could or should I be doing?

    submitted by /u/TheDruidOftheland
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone willing to critique my resume?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 06:22 PM PDT

    How hard would it be to get a Systems Analyst job with a fresh MIS degree?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 05:08 PM PDT

    I am currently in my sophomore year for MIS. I am planning on getting my A+ cert, building my github profile and then trying to land an internship related to my major for the upcoming summer.

    If I was able to accomplish this, how hard would it be to land a 70k+ a year Systems Analyst job as soon as I graduate?

    submitted by /u/InfiniteStatus66
    [link] [comments]

    Just applied for Google's ITRP

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 05:06 PM PDT

    Like the title states, I have just applied for Google's residency program!

    I have scheduled phone interview coming soon. Any tips or advices from alumni's/interviewees?

    I did a bit of research already and here is what I've gathered

    - Study study study (Networking & OS).

    - Explain everything that you're thinking while interviewing.

    - Be honest about skill set.

    - Don't say anything that you aren't sure about that they'll grill you on, instead just say I don't know or am not sure.

    Please add on to this if you guys have a chance

    submitted by /u/hippodoitmus
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone get a job with their Github profile?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 01:15 PM PDT

    I'm learning Python and plan on starting to work on some Github projects, I have heard of people landing a job from just their Github profiles. Has anyone here had this happen to them?

    submitted by /u/InfiniteStatus66
    [link] [comments]

    Which areas of troubleshooting should I focus before I get a help desk job?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 04:02 PM PDT

    I'll be getting a help desk job after my courses are done and would like to know what things pop up frequently. Like should I focus on how to troubleshoot workgroups, PowerShell?

    submitted by /u/PUBG_INTENSIFIES
    [link] [comments]

    Help with level 1 helpdesk resume

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 01:50 PM PDT

    So I've been searching for about 2-3 months now. Had about 5 phone/skype interviews and 1 in person.

    https://www.scribd.com/document/389694714/It-Resume-Help

    Any tips appreciated

    I took one of those IKM helpdesk tests yesterday, provided by a recruiter from Robert Half Technology (staffing agency) and got an 89%. Not exactly sure how useful this is, but it's something for them to use I guess.

    submitted by /u/yosimba2000
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiter in-person next week, location advice

    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 12:26 PM PDT

    Had a great call with a recruiter today, and we're setting an in-person conversation next week.

    My question here is, he gave me a time/date (about 30 minutes) with "at a location of your choice". I asked if he wanted to do lunch, and he agreed.

    Thoughts on what kind of a place to suggest?

    submitted by /u/nightpanda2810
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel