• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    IT Career Has anyone regretted their graduate degree?

    IT Career Has anyone regretted their graduate degree?


    Has anyone regretted their graduate degree?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:28 AM PDT

    Long story short, I've been tossing around the idea of going back to school to advance my career. I've been looking at MBAs and also technical degrees. I see a lot of mixed reviews from people who kind of throw their hands in the air and say "My graduate degree hasn't help me at all."

    From what I've read, graduate school is more about the networking than actual knowledge learned... I have two Bachelor's degrees (one earned recently in a technical field and a Political Science degree I got right after HS) and I've found that I always learned more reading or studying on my on than from classroom time. For example, a Professor may assign 2 or 3 books to read a semester and I will learn more from these books than actual lectures. So why did I pay thousands of dollars for the degree? Well, as you all know it's the reality of the HR filter and the hoop most of us must jump through.

    Graduate degrees are sure to vary wildly by institution. I did the online thing for my second Bachelor's (from a respected B&M school) and will never do online learning again - especially for a degree that will be valuable from the relationships forged. I feel like I basically paid 10k so I can check off the "Computer Science or related degree" box I find on more and more job applications.

    Any thoughts on graduate school in general? Is this another hoop I should jump through or will it be a regret of time and money wasted? I rarely come across technical jobs that require anything more than a Bachelors. Should I gain more experience and really narrow down what I want to do? I'm already in my low 30's and feel like it's getting to the point where ROI will decline.

    I only have a few years in the IT Industry (just earned my CCNP and AWS certifications) and feel I should be doing more to better myself.

    I like the idea of eventually getting into Network Architecture - but I rarely even seen these roles available. I love to build stuff and the idea of designing enterprise networks really excites me. I could also see myself wanting to do more of a management role once I gain more technical experience. Another route I have some interest in is Instructional/Educational Technology for a large University - although I know this one is kind of a long shot, pigeon holed job.

    submitted by /u/c0sm0nautt
    [link] [comments]

    First day of Service Desk | Already feel miserable and want to leave.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:20 PM PDT

    So I started my new job in SD and can already see and feel that it is going to suck.. hard.

    Got the job with no prior IT experience or anything at my Hospital.

    The workers are great, older and friendly for the most part.

    My trainer is also very cool and very informative.

    This is an entry job from what I was told but you're doing tier level 3 work.

    The job is just insane with what you have to remember and do, it's literally applications ontop of applications and the little details mean everything. The ticketing system doesn't seem too bad, a lot of password resets, but I don't even know. The call volume is also insane, my trainer had a hard time training me and showing me stuff because she always got stopped with other calls. I have anxiety and I can already tell on the first day this isn't going to be for me. Not even happy coming home after the first day and my parents are super excited and want to hear all about it and I just want to go.. away.

    Not saying that I was expecting big money for an easy job or anything but this was the total opposite from what I thought it'd be. I think I rushed into this job way too fast because I'm still in school and I'm just stressing hard. I already want to start looking for another job.

    Tips? Experiences? What do you think?

    submitted by /u/xyzal1
    [link] [comments]

    Grew up around computers, was always tech savvy, went into human services field. At 26, I'm looking into considering the IT field finally after numerous conversations from my IT friends

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:23 AM PDT

    I only have my associates degree. After back and forth with my friend about who works for an amazing tech company, he convinced me after long talks about the field I'm in has me drowned. Case management does not pay and it's mentally and physically exhausting.

    I was alternatively looking into human resources but I think IT is the most demanding field and I cannot avoid the technology around me.

    The benefits of the job, the salary, everything that comes with it.

    I just don't want to be a failure. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck. I'm capable of learning. My only downside is math. I hated math and I'm afraid this may be the only thing to hold me back. I'm a huge people's person, my friend told me IT is all about customer service and it changed my mind.

    Some questions: Do I need a degree? Will my associates degree in liberal arts be fine with some certifications? What certs would I need? Money isn't a problem for my education right now. Will I have to start as an intern? What are some companies I can work for to start out for?

    submitted by /u/Asking4Afren
    [link] [comments]

    Considering dropping out of college. Don't know if it's a good idea?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    So to start from the beginning, I moved to Hubert, NC with my dad so I could finish my schooling. He told me a month ago he was gonna retire next fall so I was planning to finish my certificate for Computer Information Systems (As well as studying for my A+ certification exam on the side) in May (as my only remaining class is only available in the spring). Then he told me about two weeks ago, he didn't get selected for advancement in the Navy so now he's retiring in February and is probably going to move. On top of this, I feel like..I'm wasting my time and money. Ever since this semester started, I feel like I'm being more prepared for this exam through free resources like Professor Messer than through paid professors at the local community college. Has anybody felt the same way? What should I do?

    submitted by /u/TreyTrey23
    [link] [comments]

    Chasing your Dream Job/Company

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    This might be a more general career question than what is appropriate for this sub, but I currently work in the IT industry so hopefully I can get a little leeway. Has anyone ever chased a specific company they wanted to work for? How did you go about it? And if you were able to land the job, were you happy that you did?

    submitted by /u/AwkwardVoicemail
    [link] [comments]

    Coworkers get-togethers related to the product?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:48 AM PDT

    Did any of you meet in their companies with the managers/leaders trying to bring up different teams closer together in order to exchange ideas more naturally and create tighter bond between the coworkers from different departments? I don't mean Christmas parties or similar things, but events focused rather strictly on the product. If yes, how did these meetings look like? Were they planned/structurized or it was rather like „just go and talk to each other"?

    submitted by /u/SolidVegetable
    [link] [comments]

    Recently unemployed, seemed to have lost my interview skills. any advice brushing up?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:25 AM PDT

    Throughout college and when seeking my first position seemed I was able to get any position I interviewed for. However recently laid off, unemployed for about a month now my interview skills are completely gone. Managed to get 10+ interviews since and everyone has resulted in no callbacks after initial screen.

    Any advice for regaining my former skills? Is it normal to lose interviewing skills after being cold for some time? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sharp_Chemical
    [link] [comments]

    Professional networking

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    Resume Feedback Please!

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:53 AM PDT

    Hello fellow Techies, I need some advise with fixing updating my resume to make it more appealing to employers. I've recently made some changes but I'm having a hard time landing any interviews. Does anyone have any feedback on what I can change or add to make it more appealing?

    In advance, thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond. You are the real MVP.

    Resume

    submitted by /u/DHGamer21
    [link] [comments]

    From IT support and Server admin to Oracle DBA

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:26 AM PDT

    To begin, I have 15 years of experience in IT support and Server Administration. I'm pretty decent at it, and currently support a company with 400+ employees, and a VMware server environment with 30+ VMservers, and 8 physical servers.

    My employer has offered to get me training to be an Oracle DBA, This would be added to my current job roles until we expand enough to need DBA services full time. I understand that I can earn much more money in the role, but have absolutely zero experience in database management. Can some of you with similar experience in DBA shed some light on the new challenges I could expect to run into and how exactly this transition could make me grow as an IT professional?

    submitted by /u/iduno871
    [link] [comments]

    Career progression, network technician to datacenter technician

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have been working as a network technician/administrator at a company for nearly 3 years.

    I'm part of an infrastructure team, we handle servers almost all of which are virtualized (VMware) and the network infrastructure + VoIP stuff + backups, everything IT.

    I'm part of the network division. We take care of multiples sites each featuring around 50 or more switches per site.

    My duties include:

    • replacing damaged switches/routers/APs

    • installing/configuring new switches/routers/APs

    • getting to the bottom of network congestions/slowdowns with Wireshark captures

    • site surveys for our APs, making sure we have good coverage

    • infrastructure documentation

    • DNS and DHCP reservations (Windows 2012r2 stuff)

    • replacing damaged fiber links between switches (SFPs as well & fiber to ethernet convertors)

    • any network-related issue, I'm your man (alongside 2 other network guys)

    During my time here I have studied for and got my CCENT and CCNA R/S not too long ago. I have studied Powershell quite a bit on my own and have scripts capable of:

    • applying changes to multiple groups of switches in one go
    • add new switches in our DNS/Radius and prepare a config ready to upload of the switch
    • fliter DNS entries, make a list and check if the devices are "alive" (ping)

    I am aware that network automation is part of the deal for the future.

    My plans for the future include further developing my network and security knowledge with CCNP R/S(currently studying for the Switch cert), CEH and CISSP.

    Will probably get into Python after CCNP, seems like it's a great asset to have for network-related tasks.

    I would like to end up designing networks for clients and securing them, and also troubleshoot and secure damaged/compromised networks. I believe the term is network architect but with a security background as well.

    My current job will soon become a lot less interesting because a remote branch will take over a big chunk of our infra and our team will also be split in two, one part stays with current employer, the other gets "sold" with a big chunk of our sites.

    I have been recently approached by a globally well known IT company to work for them as a datacenter technician.

    I would like to hear your opinions as to if working as a datacenter tech would support my plans for the future.

    Would this be considered a devolution to go from a network admin (contract title is: Systems and Network Engineer) to a datacenter tech ?

    Would it be worth to go as a datacenter tech just for the prestige this would later bring to my CV for having worked at such a big company, even if it wouldn't be entirely relevant to my planned future ?

    Either way I will have to move from my current workplace, things have been stagnat for a while, only recently becoming more interesting because I'm part of the team helping design the network infrastructure of the new organization that will be formed out of the sold site/team, but this is merely temporary. It sure is a great feeling influencing the birth of a new network though, giving advice and arguments and your design opinions actually being taken into consideration.

    What do you guys think ?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/dresmasher
    [link] [comments]

    HELP-Need to know if I would qualify for an IT Coordinator position-please see job description

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:01 AM PDT

    Job description: "Responsible for security, risk and compliance leadership by coordinating project administration, reviewing, revising and maintaining vendor management, risk, audit and regulatory compliance. Support the functional aspects of the assigned team or department, including overall project and team administration, tracking of annual attestations, certifications, assessments, audits, policies and procedures required to met IT general controls and achieve industry security certification status. Process Support.

    This position will be the IT Security Coordinator for Compliance, Vendor Management, and Risk.

    Experience: Two years Project Coordination or administrative experience.

    Education: Associate's degree or at least 4 years of additional experience in lieu of degree."

    I copy and pasted the posted above. I want to get into IT, i only have admin experience, but i'm more technically inclined.

    I need to know if i have a chance or if i'm qualified, it looks like the position is just a coordinator position

    submitted by /u/genxroceans11
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at gaining database experience.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:47 PM PDT

    I want to expand my basic SQL and database knowledge into a more advanced skills.

    With the aim of getting potential certs. What do you find the most in demand skills? What cert would you suggest?

    I Know Oracle, Microsoft, cloudera have certs for databases but not sure which is useful for a guy with no work experience in this field.

    submitted by /u/Phenoix512
    [link] [comments]

    How to ask if an internship is paid?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 11:54 PM PDT

    At the end of August, I interviewed for an entry part time job. The whole interview went well, and at the end (as well as the follow-up call a week later), I was told that I was the interviewer's first choice. Last Thursday, I received an email to schedule a follow-up interview, but as it turns out, the part time job wasn't approved and this second interview was for an internship position, with the same responsibilities as the job we'd spoken about. I have been given no indication that the internship is paid.

    This concerned me, because I was planning on quitting my current (manual labor) job for this, but the fact that it's an internship instead of a job scares me, since I need money.

    TL;DR Is there any way during this second interview that I can ask about pay and weekly hours I'd be working in a way that wouldn't ruin my chances of being hired?

    I was planning on asking as end questions if they hadn't been covered during the interview, but I wasnt sure if that's appropriate to ask about at that time.

    submitted by /u/rotora0
    [link] [comments]

    Which way is the best way to apply?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 10:00 PM PDT

    Which way of applying give you a better chance of being hired. Online on the business's website? Or in person showing up and dropping off your resume for the job application?

    submitted by /u/Micaiah12
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Opting in for potential employment

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 04:52 PM PDT

    Google's relatively new program has been talked about a few times on this sub, and one of the main draws is that (according to the course description) you can opt in to have your information shared with top IT companies. What I would like to know is if anyone has had experience with this (finishing the program and opting in to have your info shared with companies), as in did they email you and enter you into some kind of program, add your info to a special pool of applicants, etc.

    submitted by /u/SubliminalWombat
    [link] [comments]

    I think I took the wrong job.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    I was offered a position with huge global consulting company that is doing an insurance project in my state. I have an MIS degree and they brought me on a PMO analyst. My overall career outlook is the work in business intelligence or be a database administrator. Now when I took the job I was told I would be transitioning to become a full data analyst. After almost 4 months the data analyst work I've been getting is few and far between. Also it's not really something I'm super interested in. I want to be querying data from a database and creating dashboards while this more analyzing incoming spreadsheets. Another thing is a lot of reviews for this company said it was a good place to start your career but in my case we are not near the home office. A lot of people in my position would start "on the bench" waiting for project to come up so they could ask other consultants for advice and take courses. I feel like bothering people when I ask for advice because our project is apparently a big one for the company. I feel like jumping ship because my role isn't as technical as I would want it to be. The real kicker is I turned down a position for working with dashboards at another company because by the time they called I was at a national training for my current job. Now I'm not rushing out. I'm casually looking on indeed and LinkedIn for other jobs and the money i make here is pretty good 55k for a 22 year old with minimal expenses. What I'm really wondering is has anyone been in my position before and what did you do. I'm also considering going back to help desk work because I feel like the opportunity to advance and learn would be better but I don't think I would make enough money and I'm constantly contacted by predatory recruiters peddling help desk jobs. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/k0fi96
    [link] [comments]

    Entry level help-desk interview - need tips on how to wow the hiring manager

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 02:57 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I finally got an interview with a large animation company! The company has 3 offices world-wide and have about 600 employees.

    Had a phone interview today and the employer seemed pretty eager to get me in for an interview. I have an interview this coming Friday :)

    I have an CompTIA A+ cert and am studying for Cisco CCNA. I don't have much experience however - only 6 months from a previous job, plus some volunteer work. I've never supported more than 50 users in an IT role before. What are some tips to ace the interview? What are some things you would want to hear if you were hiring a L1 helpdesk technician?

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/crackmarrow
    [link] [comments]

    How do you not quit your job (MSP)?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:06 PM PDT

    Cross-posted from r/msp

    I've worked for 3 MSPs over the last 6 years, which has been the extent of my career. One small, one enterprise, and now a medium-sized one that I've been at for only the last 5 months. I'm contemplating finding another job, as I'm hating the lack of procedures/documentation, the numerous clients that most of which's environments follow no best-practices, and engineers making changes without documentation, so it's a cluster-F any time I investigate an issue. Not to mention, I'm an escalation point, but I'm stuck troubleshooting keyboard and printer issues.

    How do you do it without drinking yourself to death? Is it time to find a company with an internal IT department and say goodbye to the MSP life? Or do I get out of IT altogether?... Because I hate it.

    submitted by /u/audioeptesicus
    [link] [comments]

    Does part-time consulting exist?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:01 PM PDT

    I have a full time job as a cybersecurity engineer, so I'm not looking to replace my current job but I am looking for outside work to supplement my income.

    I'd like to do some form of consulting part-time without having to freelance or form my own consulting gig.

    Anyone know of where to look for something like this?

    submitted by /u/modeststickycandy
    [link] [comments]

    Where to being and is it too late?!!

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:45 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm really interested in cyber security/ ethical hacking/ pen testing. I'm currently in a Help Desk position and want to dive into the security field. I'm wrecking my brain trying to decide where to begin. I don't have any certs. I'm trying to decide to either go back to school and get a AAS in cyber defense, or should I focus on getting certs. If I do go the directions of certs, is it ok to jump straight into the Security +? I was told that certs outweigh degrees in the IT world. I also wanted to know, do the 1 week classes really work, or is it waste of money? I am 29!! HELP!!!

    PS I tried to change the subject to begin didn't let me.

    submitted by /u/stacmot52
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple Interviews

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 04:25 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have multiple interviews coming up and have been interviewing here and there for the better part of the last 2 months for a network administrator position. I have been extremely fortunate that I have been able to sometimes get interviews around 3:30/4pm so I am able to come in to work early and leave early but lately I have been getting interviews that are in the middle of the day and they won't allow me to reschedule to a later time. Because of this, I am having to take/request time off and I am worried my manager is going to get suspicious and think that I am seeking opportunities elsewhere. Are there any tips on how I can avoid looking too suspicious?

    submitted by /u/rezadential
    [link] [comments]

    How good are my chances of getting an internship?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:03 PM PDT

    I'm a sophomore at Oklahoma State University going after an MIS degree. I have a 2.9 GPA but it's from my previous major. After this semester I should have a 3.7 major GPA and a 3.1 overall GPA. This is my resume. I've applied for a bunch of oil and gas companies. Think I'll fare well?

    submitted by /u/LordWilliamII
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel