• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, September 22, 2018

    Home Networking Ubiquiti for my Home Network

    Home Networking Ubiquiti for my Home Network


    Ubiquiti for my Home Network

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:44 PM PDT

    Can it really be this easy to ditch my undependable wireless router?

    My house already has cat5 cable run throughout and I have a 24 port unmanaged switch. Can I simply add an Ubiquiti USG and a couple Ubiquiti Lite access points powered through the included injectors? Apparently I can run the controller software on my Qnap NAS as well. Is there any reason to buy a managed or managed POE switch?

    Thanks for your input.

    submitted by /u/andrewse
    [link] [comments]

    (UK) Unlimited 4G

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 04:59 PM PDT

    Hi guys! So I have a personal issue which has resulted in me not being able to have access to unrestricted data on a wifi network. Hence, I have now been looking at an unlimited data 4G plan. The issue now, is that only Virgin Media provides an unlimited data tethering plan, but it is only available to Virgin Media broadband owners in order to reduce the number of people that would hammer their network(Like I would plan to), instead of just using a wifi connection. The other plan I have found is the Three network which offers unlimited data, however tethering is limited to 30gb. I was wondering whether the Huawei LTE stick is a good option or if there are any other moderately cheap options. Or if there was a bypass I could use to allow for me to use unlimited tethering. A bypass would be best since it would be a pain to unplug my sim every time I wish to use the internet on my laptop. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/maowly
    [link] [comments]

    i need to add ethernet to a room in my house and i have a rj11 port

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:04 PM PDT

    i know it's possible to change a rj11 port to ri45 i just don't know how. are there any good youtube videos that i can watch to help me do it or would getting a professional to do it be better? thanks

    submitted by /u/Bentheball1
    [link] [comments]

    Mediacom Technicolor Troubles

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:24 AM PDT

    I have a Technicolor CGM4231 and I am trying to portforward it, but I can't get past the Mediacom Control Panel to gain access to my router. I've tried what seems like everything so far but to no avail. Please Help!

    submitted by /u/Seamaniac811
    [link] [comments]

    I just realized my in wall conduit contains water... is it too dangerous to run UTP Cat5e CM-rated cable through it ?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:58 AM PDT

    Ubuntu Internet Sharing Issue (pinging works but can't see network shares)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:27 PM PDT

    Hey guys I'm hoping you can help me out here with this ubuntu/windows internet sharing problem I'm having.

    I have an odroid-xu4q running Ubuntu 18.04 with 2 ethernet ports. One is set to share internet directly with a windows machine, while the other connects to the internet via VPN built into ubuntu. This takes the OpenVPN cpu pressure off the windows device for me. The windows machine can access the internet as you'd expect, but it can't mount shared folders elsewhere on the network. Yet, I can still ping other machines from the windows unit, and Wireshark shows the ping coming from the ubuntu's 192.168 IP address.

    Any ideas as to how I could get my windows unit visible on the network? What am I missing on Ubuntu?

    Best I have is to nab a USB-Ethernet adapter for the windows machine, connect it directly to the network, then set up some rules on my edge router to ensure it can't reach the internet. I'd rather not have to work with 2 adapters concurrently if I can avoid it however. If you have a better idea I'd appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/boobajoob
    [link] [comments]

    Legrand TM1045

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:20 AM PDT

    Hey all. Just got to move into my house and one of the upgrades I included was a full little home networking closet inside of the master closet. I also ran a lot of my own CAT6 cable that they plugged for me.

    Inside this closet is a Legrand Telephone Input Module TM1045. When they ran their own cable, they plugged one yellow and one into the service in, so I plugged as many as I could into the remaining slots.

    Looking into it, it's not a network switch, is it? (I already bought one.) Is it just for IP phones or something? If that's the case, I'll remove it.

    Just wondering what it's there for, especially since it can't fit all my cables.

    Thanks.

    Picture of TM1045

    submitted by /u/SoMuchLasagna
    [link] [comments]

    Help me choose a wireless router professional solution

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:15 AM PDT

    I'd like to buy a new wireless router, but avoiding all those "commercial" ones that come with low security standards and get unsupported after 2-3 years. So nothing like Dlink, Netgear, Asus, Tplink, etc. that shout out "buy me, I'm super power++".

    What I care about is: decent security standards, long time support (or easy firmware upgrade/customisation), low power usage (this shouldn't be a problem), doesn't cost an eye.

    After some research these are the candidates I found:

    • Pepwave Surf Soho. Pros: they say good security, long support, full settings customisation. Cons: really high price (~240$)
    • Mikrotik, something like "hAP ac lite". Pros: much used by techs, good security/support/customisation.
    • Ubiquity. I only read about as one of good rivals of Mikrotik, any opinion on Ubiquity routers?
    • setup one myself. I already own a RaspberryPi, I'm also curious to buy a Vocore2 Ultimate. Pros: full control on it, almost unlimited updates. Cons: I need at least 3 ethernet ports, maintenance could become not worth it.
    • buy a commercial one (those ones that I'm avoiding) but that is fully supported by alternative firmwares (eg. Openwrt) so I have full control and long support/security.

    Any opinion or others to suggest me?

    submitted by /u/unbranched
    [link] [comments]

    Fast download speed - so so upload with Netgear

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    Hello. I googled around and didn't find much and did search the forum quickly and without going too deep didn't find much.

    So we have Cox internet on a good package. Before we had an Arris docsis 3.0 maybe 3.1 cable model/AC router. I cannot remember the model number but maybe the SB8200 or similar. Anyway, it would pull fast download speeds AND fast upload, like 90 Mbps and 60-70ish upload. However, for whatever reason it seemed to time out on us. My computer is a wireless connection and it's like randomly the connection would die. I also noticed on my PS4 while running an internet connection test, it would always come up good except the "NAT Type" would show up as an error. The random dying out also happened on the PC connected to ethernet on the modem.

    Sick of all that I got a good deal on a slightly used Netgear C6250. Had Cox switch it over. It's all setup and fine and dandy, and while I'm getting 80-90 Mbps down, my upload speeds are topped out around 7-8Mbps. The wired connection also gets 90-100 Mbps down, and 10Mbps up at the most. The Netgear C6250 is approved for Cox as well.

    I am logged into the router but there really isn't anything to update the firmware (support website says the ISP pushes it down).

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/My02cTakeItorLeaveIt
    [link] [comments]

    Araknis networks gear

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    Has anyone ever used Araknis routers, switches, or WAPs?

    Working on building a new house and they are what the builder's low voltage sub uses. I was leaning towards Ubiquiti but if it's any good then I may reconsider.

    submitted by /u/oscar0228
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get the address of some IP Cameras

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 07:02 PM PDT

    I was given a couple IP cameras but don't have any software to go with them. There is no manufacturing or company name on them; I even took it completely apart. Can I find their address? Can I still utilize them in any way?

    submitted by /u/csamaker
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: Turned off DHCP on router, now I can't log in to it

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:01 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've disabled the DHCP Server on my TP-Link Archer C7 V2 and forgot to set a static IP. Now, after the reboot I cannot access the configuration site using r/http://192.168.1.1 . I did a reset holding the reset button for more than 10 seconds, but when trying to open the aforementioned link, I only get "timed out". What can I do?

    submitted by /u/chrisr34000
    [link] [comments]

    Would a network extender help me given the following scenario?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 06:18 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    So I moved recently to a new apartment, the building of which is also brand new (not sure if this might be indicative of the following issues...). The apartment itself is about 30' long, and outside my door is the hallway, about 4' wide I guess, and directly across from my unit is a garage with my vehicle. The router is at the end of my apartment furthest from the door/hallway/garage. So, we'll say there's ~45' between the router and the inside of the garage. I did a quick google and routers should emit wifi for quite some distance, assuming perfect conditions of course.

    My issue is that I have no wifi signal in my garage, and I'm not sure why, unless there's something really blocking the signal in the walls? Is that feasible?

    And the main point/concern: I'd like to get wifi in my garage to that my vehicle can receive OTA updates and such. Would placing an extender right at my apartment door help this? Or would it be pointless assuming that between my unit and the heart of the garage, the walls are just going to cause major interference?

    submitted by /u/appledude9
    [link] [comments]

    Using a switch in a different room than the router

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    I have my router in one room and there's an ethernet cable connected to the router going through the wall into another room. I have two devices in the room away from the router that I'd like to make a wired connection. Can I attach an unmanaged switch to the ethernet cable going into the second room and then connect the two devices to the switch?

    I cannot tell if the switch must be located in the same room as the router and needs to be connected 'modem to switch to router' rather than what I'm looking for which is 'modem to router to switch',

    Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/MiamiFootball
    [link] [comments]

    Old PC with Wi-Fi adapter issue

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:51 PM PDT

    Greetings everyone,

    Im out of ideas, today I went to help and "fix" an old pc, athlon64/radeon 9600 pc. Due to power outrage, motherboard network slot died. Couldn't find pci network card, so I bought D-link wi-fi adapter.

    Driver installation went smooth, found great signal right away and connected. Problem is, I cannot open almost any website. Takes almost a minute to open up google.

    This is confusing since router is 3 meters away, and every smartphone can connect and surf really fast.

    Operating system on the PC is windows 7 and I cannot install any drivers I got on motherboard's dvd, cause latest supported there is windows xp.

    Please, any insight is needed. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/_thoax_
    [link] [comments]

    Networking my house?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 02:24 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I've purchased our second house and we have a large under the house storage area fit for an office. We also have a shed/outdoor area that could be used as a secondary office or even converted to a guest room with a bit of tlc.

    What are my options in terms or networking the under the house area to upstairs and also networking the outdoor guest house / shed.

    The floors are wooden (polished floorboards) and the distance between the house and the guest room / shed is about 10m.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/TheSaltySteak88
    [link] [comments]

    Another cry for help to the networking gurus out there

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 04:30 PM PDT

    Hey there fellow redditors.

    I have a rather specific problem with my WiFi from time to time, and since I know a little about computers and connection but not much specifically internet connectivity I turned here for help.

    I used the so called "Internet connectivity tool" that does exactly what it sounds like, on a particularly bad evening, here is the log output, to give you a picture of what is happening.

    https://pastebin.com/2pMu5wyQ

    Basically, the WiFi completely dies in seemingly random patterns. On this particular evening it was about 50 times in 2 hours. If it helps, here's a screenshot of the resource monitor during a few disconnects.

    https://imgur.com/a/NraHhkB

    And third time's the charm, here is a screenshot of the details for the Wifi I'm connected to:

    https://imgur.com/a/P4mlnI4

    What's interesting about this is that my connection to the router, which I get over a WiFi adapter that I recently changed (No difference with either adapter) is very stable, full 100% signal strength almost all of the time.

    What probably is very important, is that I am by no means the only user of this particular WiFi. I live in a house with about 6-7 other people, students mostly, who all use the same WiFi.

    So, after this wall of text, what could be a probable cause for these disconnects ? I suspect it being the router which can't handle requests from so many users at once, especially because the disconnects get more frequent the more people are at home. If there is any diagnostics tool that would help any person to spot where the problem may lie, I am open to suggestions in that regard too.

    TL;DR: Halp, internet is shit.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/HomoMilch
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble opening a second port on TL-WDR7300

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:04 AM PDT

    I've tried opening a port range as well as separate entries for each port but it still only shows the first port is open. I had things working correctly on a TP-LINK TL-WDR7400 1750Mbps (100M) router. When I was upgraded form 100Mbs to 150Mbs I realized it wasn't a gigabit router. I couldn't get a second port open on the ISP router (ZTE ZTE H298a), so I purchased a TL-WDR7300 AC2100 when I was in China but I'm having the same problem, only the first port seems to be open.

    There is one setting I'm unsure about

    Common Service Port: --Select One-- DNS FTP GOPHER HTTP NNTP POP3 PPTP SMTP SOCK TELNET

    submitted by /u/silk186
    [link] [comments]

    Cut the cord. Using Fios and debating Onhub or Google pucks - what else will I need? 1600sqft Ranch without ethernet in walls.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 08:28 AM PDT

    As the title says I'm debating between an OnHub and the Google WiFi pucks currently. I live in a 1600sqft ranch thats pretty much a rectangle and my router will probably be at the far corner office where my PC is so that I can hardwire the PC. I don't have Ethernet in the walls and don't plan on going too far into adding that because I will hopefully be buying a new bigger house within 2 years. The ONT FiOS modem is in my garage on the exact opposite side of the house. Running an Ethernet cable through the attic from there to the office isn't a big deal but I really don't wanna do much else. We just painted and remodeled a little and I don't want to use anything that's not already there. There is one spot almost dead center of the house that coax currently runs down from the attic to my old cable box however so I can make use of that too.

    My questions are, are the OnHub or pucks the best options for me? And what else will I need to purchase. I'm assuming some type of switch so I can hardwire my PC from the router? Is my best bet to place the router in the office at the far side of the house with the switch, or to place it somewhere in the middle or even the attic? In that case where would the switch to run cable to the PC be located? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Boyiee
    [link] [comments]

    Network headache

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:57 PM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    I have a tablet and when that tablet is in the youtube watching videos the whole network is slow my xbox is laggy when I play online and so on. Is there a way to prevent this or to choose a "bandwith" to MAC address to the tablet?

    submitted by /u/Crikxus
    [link] [comments]

    How does an ISP identify my home router?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 06:10 AM PDT

    ** For educational purposes only **

    Is MAC address (or BSSID of my router) the only thing that helps the ISP identify my router or is there some other identification method used?

    submitted by /u/meat258
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi USB Adapter lag spikes

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:51 AM PDT

    Hi. Long time lurker of these great forums, but only now decided to register, as I thought you guys would be able to help.

    I had a desktop computer and a USB Adapter (D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter), it was working fine when I had my setup at about 7 meters from the router, but the weird thing is that now that I moved my setup to my new office at merely 1 to 2 meters from the router, my connection is not stable anymore.

    What I notice the most is that when I'm talking on Slack or Discord, I hear other people breaking/hiccup mid sentence, leaving a lot of guess work about what they were talking about.
    So the connection seems fine, but at some point, it breaks, as in, I run Slack, Discord or even videogames at 30 ping, and then spikes to 400, then goes back at 30 a second later.

    The speed connection test I made reported an ok 4 MBs speed of download and 1 MBs of upload (I have 15MBs from my ISP, but I guess the Wifi adapter is not as strong as just connection an ethernet cable in)

    To sum it up:
    - The weirdest thing is that it was working with no lag when my setup was further away from the router.
    - I had an USB extension for the USB adapter, I heard it would improve the connection, but didnt help, not as expected.
    - Is it possible this adapter was damaged? Are there better alternatives to receive internet connection in my home office?
    - Also tried resetting router and all cables.
    - I have no way to bring an ethernet cable in, as the router is on the other side of the room.
    - Previously thought it'd be walls that would be too thick, but even leaving the door open won't change a thing.

    Really have no idea of how to solve this on my own.

    submitted by /u/mignogueira
    [link] [comments]

    Archer A7/C7 custom firmware?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:36 PM PDT

    Just got mine setup and I'm wondering if I should flash custom firmware to replace the (surprisingly capable) stock firmware. If yes, what firmware should I flash it with?

    submitted by /u/The-Toon
    [link] [comments]

    Help/Question: regarding disappearing AP IP address

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:42 AM PDT

    Hello, i am confused with a disappearing access point IP address in my home network.

    I live in a rural area, and my NAT/router is in my shop, and then i run Ethernet to my house into an old d-link router which i use as an access point. I hard line into it with my laptop, and wifi into it with my phone.

    Just learning home networking, so i would do a ping sweep with nmap, and it would give the following:

    router 192.168.15.1

    AP 192.168.15.2

    laptop 192.168.15.3

    phone 192.168.15.4

    ...and everything worked perfectly.

    So my ISP came and upgraded my equipment and installed a new router. I did not reset the AP in my house when the new equipment was installed.

    So now my nmap sweep yields

    router 192.168.11.1

    laptop 192.168.11.2

    phone 192.168.11.3

    Everything works perfectly. I just don't understand how the AP doesn't have its own IP any longer?

    Is it now just a hub? How is the wifi still functioning?

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/dakine879
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with Access Point and Router

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:14 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 router which I want to configure as an access point. Two computers are connected to it and the Archer is connected to a cable modem / router.

    I've made following configurations:

    1) Archer

    LAN IP: 192.168.0.100

    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

    2) Cable Modem / Router

    IP: 192.168.0.1

    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

    3) Desktop Computer 1

    IP: 192.168.0.101

    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

    DNS Server1: 192.168.0.1

    4) Desktop Computer 2

    IP: 192.168.0.102

    Same Gateway and DNS as Computer 1

    The problem I have, is that when I try to configure the cable modem through 192.168.0.1 I get the error:

    "This website is not allowed

    A home User has activated the User Interface. You can not access the Web Interface now. "

    Do you have any idea what could be the issue?

    submitted by /u/chrisr34000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel