• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, September 24, 2018

    Home Networking Just got my pair of MoCA bridges. They are amazing, quick question however!

    Home Networking Just got my pair of MoCA bridges. They are amazing, quick question however!


    Just got my pair of MoCA bridges. They are amazing, quick question however!

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:28 PM PDT

    I just finished setting up my MoCA bridges in my home and I must say they are absolutely amazing. Kicks Powerline's ass in terms of speed. Anyways, I purchased the pair from BestBuy and in the box came a 5-1650MHz two-way splitter. I'm in IT but have never really had to deal with splitters and Coax wiring (yet). The two-way splitter installed at my PoE is a 5-1000MHz splitter. Is there any reason to use the included splitter that came with my Actiontec's? I am still essentially hitting the ISP cap at my house (250mbps). Also, I have ordered a PoE filter that should be arriving soon this week.

    Any advice on whether I should replace the splitter I have with the new one? Or what even is the procedure to do so? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MoopusMaximus
    [link] [comments]

    crimping cat 6

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:14 PM PDT

    I need to connect RJ45 connectors to a bare CAT6 cable. I am looking for recommendations for a good crimping tool. Should I get a kit? Do I need a cable tester or just use my laptop to test the connection? Do you guys recommend using a boots?

    I have seen ranges from 10-100 for pricing. Any suggestions for RJ45 connectors, or are they all about the same?

    submitted by /u/letsgotime
    [link] [comments]

    Network advice for new home

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 11:28 AM PDT

    We are moving into a new home soon and I wanted some advice on what to get to set up a WiFi network. The house is 3000 square feet (1500 up and 1500 main level) with an unfinished basement (1500 sq feet). I want a strong WiFi signal throughout the main and upper levels. We are limited with respect to ISPs. It sounds like we have to go with Spectrum/Charter. I have read a bit about Mesh systems and was leaning towards that along with purchasing my own modem. What say you Reddit? Is the mesh stuff the way to go and, if so, what brand is best? Also, what modem should I use? I would like a newer, mid to high end modem so it's not obsolete in a year. Also, what other options should I consider? I almost forgot, we will have 2 smart tv's, an Xbox one, 4 phones, 3 laptops and a desktop on the network. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/StatInformaticistics
    [link] [comments]

    Router Suggestion for 5 College Students?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:18 PM PDT

    Not sure if there is a budget (although the cheaper the better).

    There's 5 of us in an apartment (2 bedrooms + living room), 3 of which are CompSci majors and all of us play games (to varying degrees, although I'm pretty sure none of us are hardcore gamers). None of us really know what we're doing honestly, but if there's anything I can help to clarify, that would be great!

    submitted by /u/Kaipolygon
    [link] [comments]

    Can a smaprtphone be turned into a ...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:00 PM PDT

    A quick question I have is, can you turn a smartphone into a node?

    A project of mine is to try and turn smartphones into a type of open/mesh network for a small neighborhood watch/community.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/polybiusKai
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet Priority over Wireless connection

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    How can I make my Xbox's Ethernet connection prioritize over other wireless connections? I've tried googling it but without any helpful articles

    submitted by /u/6Dread6TheLight6
    [link] [comments]

    Yet Another MoCA adapter question

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:41 PM PDT

    My new home already has Ethernet drops and I have pre-installed smurf tubing for running CAT6A when I can get the funds for a 10G switch. My ISP is the local cable company and I will getting their 300/20 Internet package along with 4 HD TiVo boxes (1 DVR, 3 receivers). The provided ISP cable modem has wireless, two Ethernet ports, and MoCA, but I want to separate my networks. The TiVo boxes all use a MoCA network to allow the receivers to play recorded shows from the DVR. If I replace the modem with one that I purchase (that is usable on their system and allowed, but MoCA-less) and an EdgeRouter Lite, can I hang a single MoCA adapter off of one of the EdgeRouter Lite's LAN ports and create a separate network for just the TiVo boxes? (Network Diagram 1) The other LAN port would go to a switch and connect to my wired ports in the house. Everything I have read says you need two MoCA adapters - one at each end - but, the TiVo units have MoCA built in, so I'm wondering if the single adapter is fine to go from my EdgeRouter Lite to the TiVo units. Or, do I also need a switch on that LAN port with a MoCA adapter for each TiVo unit on a switch port? (Network Diagram 2)

    Please excuse my terrible network diagrams.

    submitted by /u/tooj
    [link] [comments]

    Another packet loss problem...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:49 PM PDT

    So this has been happening for some weeks, but thought it fade..

    I have too much loss, can't play online games, even struggling to watch streams.

    This is how my cable runs:

    1. Modem;

    2. Switch;

    3. PC.

    With minor phones usage..

    Here is a speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7663296867.png

    Here is a graphic of the loss, which was losing half packets a hour ago: https://prnt.sc/ky9yjk

    This only happen during night time.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    What should I say to the ISP?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Goloso98
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor Roku usage?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:01 AM PDT

    I'd like to see how much my Roku is being used. Basically, is it streaming all day long? I have a Ubiquti USG and a CloudKey with Cloud Access enabled. Roku is connected via Ethernet. I also have a Raspberry Pi running Pi Hole.

    Any easy way to do this?

    submitted by /u/UngluedChalice
    [link] [comments]

    Help with network shared drives

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:26 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm a photographer and was hoping to use a computer with network attached storage (USB drives) so that I could edit photos from my PC desktop, iMac in my studio, or MacBook Air on the couch.

    My network is served by a TM-AC1900 on stock firmware.

    My "server" is an HP Prodesk with an i5-4590, 8gb ram, gigabit lan. Windows 10 Pro. I have this hardwired currently to test speeds.

    Storage is a couple external Seagates through USB3.

    Drives are 100MB/S+ read/write.

    I mapped the drive, and am testing speed from my MacBook Air (2012) from about 10' from the router. Speed is 20-22MB/s.

    What am I missing? Will it ever be feasible to use this to store my photos?

    submitted by /u/hellowiththepudding
    [link] [comments]

    Webcam / PC suggestions for Home TV

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:17 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Long time, first time, please let me know if this isn't the right place to post this.

    I want to set up a simple video conferencing solution at my parents house to make it easier to stay in touch. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for decent mid range web-cams a reasonable media pc that can run some kind of video chat app (skype, zoom, hangouts etc.) over hdmi to plug into a TV.

    For the computer was considering building a Raspberry Pi but am concerned that the processor wouldn't be up to the task of streaming video.

    submitted by /u/phlickey
    [link] [comments]

    m.2 WiFi Card - No Bluetooth

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:02 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I'm trying to remove Bluetooth from my life and my laptop (Galago Pro) allows you to remove the module. However it also removes the WiFi.

    I want to replace the module/card with a version that does not have Bluetooth included.

    I can't seem to find any. Are there any m.2 cards that don't have bluetooth?

    submitted by /u/briefarcher
    [link] [comments]

    MoCA Question: 2 Story Home, seemingly no possible way to get Ethernet directly to first floor

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:00 PM PDT

    Hi, This is my first post in this subreddit, so please forgive my mistakes.

    My situation is as follows:

    I bought a new 40yr old home 3 weeks ago. It is a 2 story home and half of the home has attic access to run Ethernet to 2nd floor rooms with no issues.

    My network hub will be 2nd Floor Upstairs - I already have ONT > cat5e/6 to my Frontier Wirelsss router.

    The WiFi is currently servicing all devices except my desktop PC at the moment.

    1st Floor - Roku, XBoxOne, and Samsung SmartTV 2016, UniFi AC Pro Access Point (not installed yet)

    2nd Floor - no wireless devices yet

    Roaming - 2-3 laptops, 2 phones

    I am looking to run Ethernet to the first floor (no over coax), but after further investigation... it seems more and more likely that running a new Ethernet line correctly (read as: not janky as hell) is out of the question. [No crawlspace, coax studded and ran externally then through brick into the house, vaulted first floor ceiling where the ethernet is desired]

    So, with all of this said, would the following set up be feasible:

    ONT > cat5e/6 > USG Router > UniFi 8 port PoE switch > cat5e/6 > 2nd Floor Office MoCA adapter > (first floor) MoCA Adatper > PoE power injector > UniFi access point for first floor + all other devices

    I understand that my route will most likely be slowed at the slowest point and therefore the UniFi access point wont be ideally utilized.

    Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

    Thanks for any advice you can give!

    submitted by /u/BS3_
    [link] [comments]

    How to decide b/w Google wifi & Ubiquiti Unifi-AP-lite if I'll be using wired backhaul anyway?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:02 PM PDT

    Want to install a wifi system that works.
    Have a 3 story building About 3000 sq ft on each floor. Lots of glass walls.
    Was wondering how do single units compare with each other in terms of range.
    Is a single Unifi-AP-lite more powerful than a google Wifi puck?

    Thanks in anticipation

    submitted by /u/Noobencephalon
    [link] [comments]

    Google WiFi and ISP are both noping each other. Any fix?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:49 AM PDT

    Okay. I bought a google WiFi router. I downloaded the app they make you download to set up. I get all the way through set up at the end and it tells "can't set up network error" the internet is definitely connected and working through the "setup" network. I chatted google and called my ISP last night. Google says there is a double nat configuration stopping the WiFi point from setting up. My ISP says "tell them to allow nat configurations" or something similar. I tell google and he says "well we can't bc we can't set up the router" and the ISP guy says "it's showing online and working" but I'm still stuck at the actual set up. There was talk of a bridgemode etc. my ISP basically told me to tell google either fix on their end or fuck off. So. What now? How can I get this router to set up the network? ISP is local and fiber optic and a direct connect to the wall jack.

    submitted by /u/kaumudi
    [link] [comments]

    Home Network Setup

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I've been lurking on this sub for awhile now and decided to finally just ask for help as a lot of this stuff is honestly a bit above my current skill base and I would like to avoid blindly making any improper decisions or purchases.

    I'm looking to build a better home network via the purchase of a new router/switch, WIFI access point, etc. For years now I've been using an old WPN824N Netgear N150 but since moving into my new place (a 650 sq ft duplex ranch) I've been having intermittent drop offs and extreme slow downs. I imagine this may have to do with my neighbor's internet usage (combined with my old hardware), perhaps the physical structure of this building and maybe even just the age of the router itself causing issues. A couple key points.

    • I live by myself (other than neighbors around me) and only rarely try to use a lot of bandwidth. Typically I just surf the web, stream music/podcasts and use Alexa to look up the weather, turn on/off lights, etc. Lately even loading a simple web page has taken 20-30 seconds or more on occasion; something is very clearly wrong.
    • Internet/WIFI usage
      • Frequently used: 1 PC (hardwired), 1 cell phone, 1 tablet, 2 Alexa dots, 1 smart thermostat, 6 TP Link switches for lights (controlled via Alexa)
      • Rarely used: PS4, Roku, download move/album/etc.
    • I'm currently buying Comcast broadband internet and running it through an ARRIS Surfboard SB6121 4x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that I bought a while back
    • Considering Buying
      • Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC Long Range - Wireless Access Point
      • A router and/or switch to get this signal from my modem to the access point and PC. My PC will remain hardwired while all other devices will likely rely on WIFI (could/will wire PS4 if I ever end up actually using it again).

    The part that's throwing me off (and yes I have done searching on this subject but still am not exactly clear what I need for my use) is the difference(s) between a router and a switch. More to the point, which would better serve me in this case as I'm really only planning to hard wire two pieces of hardware - my PC and the access point. Through, in the future I may want to add more access points I don't believe it is necessary in my current small home. Can I get by using only a switch or is a router also necessary? Would you all recommend a Ubiquiti UniFi switch 8 60w? An Ubiquiti Edgerouter X SFP? Something else?

    I also should add that during these times of extreme slow downs (~5-7mbps or even crashing) it's been restarting my router (or coincidentally just allowing time to pass) that has eventually got things back to a normal speed of 65-70 mbps. Looking at the light display on my modem seems to indicate that everything is continuing to pass through that point as normal. Obviously this is a rather ignorant way of trying to pinpoint the problem but based on what I know about my current hardware I have to believe the Netgear N150 route is the bottleneck. But hey, maybe I'm wrong?

    Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Rage8150
    [link] [comments]

    U-Verse router upgrade

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    I'm currently looking to upgrade the router AT&T gave me with the internet I have with them. It's the Basic Internet 5 package due to that is all they offer in my area currently with a max of 5 mbps download speed. That's currently split between myself and three others in the house. Streaming eats up most of the WiFi, while my brother and I game on a PC and XBOX using Ethernet coming from the router. I know increasing the download speed would drastically improve our scenario however I do not pay for the internet. Would upgrading the modem improve anything?

    submitted by /u/CajunRagin95
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t get my xbox one’s wired connection to work

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 01:09 PM PDT

    Let me preface this by saying I have absolutely no idea how any of this works.

    I've had my xbox one wired to the port in my room for about three years, never any issues with it. Until a few days ago no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to connect to the internet.

    So far I've tried everything, made sure all the Ethernet cables involved were working, plugged my laptop into the same port and sure enough no problems connecting to the internet. I've tried all kinds of fixes I found on the internet and not one of them managed to fix anything (although some of that be my own ineptitude).

    Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated, at this point Im completely stumped and in way over my head with this.

    submitted by /u/vanilafrosty
    [link] [comments]

    Very curious network behavior...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 04:42 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I've got a fairly peculiar situation going on right now, and I can't explain what on earth is going on and why. Anyways,

    I've got a switch (1) connected to a switch (2) connected to the router. The first switch has a few things on it like a printer (100mb), an AP (1000mb), and a PC (1000mb). When I freshly boot the PC, I can copy files to the NAS located on switch 2 at gigabit speeds, and I can do so from another PC on switch 2. However, on the first PC, after a short while copying files (about a minute or two), it drops to 100mb/s and stays that way until I reboot.

    Now, you may be thinking, "Sounds like Windows screwing up" or something like that, which is what I thought at first too, but then I noticed something else. I opened the Unifi controller for my AP on the same switch and noticed it had about 95mb/s traffic reported on the uplink. See here for details

    I tested and this traffic is not reported when the files are copying at gigabit speeds (just a few Kb/s reported), and starts as soon as the file copy drops to 100mb.

    Anyone have any idea what is going on here? It almost seems like the switch is freaking out and becoming a hub (broadcasting data to all ports) and limiting things to 100mbps (such as for the slower devices like the printer). I suppose it also could be Windows somehow screwing everything up. Unfortunately I cannot currently put another PC on that switch to test its behavior, but I could in a few hours.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/newhbh7
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapish router for a Gigabit line?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 12:50 PM PDT

    I just moved house and I now have access to an advertised 1Gb/s connection (modem shows 928 Mb/s in download, speed tests show 600-800 depending on the website used. Actual download speeds with services like steam and gog are around 100Mb, I made sure to check if they were MB, but I think that's unrelated to the topic).

    Due to how the house is built I have my modem (issued by the provider) in the living room and I have a 10 meters flat cable going into the studio and directly into my PC.

    I'd like to put a router in that room so that I can connect other 3 devices with an ethernet cable.

    Budget is 70-80 dollars

    Things that I need/want:

    • Ports that allow me to use my line to the fullest (so gigabits I think) if possible, but I value Jitter/latency way more than speed.

    • Low Jitter/latency

    • Ease of use, I read that things like the Ubiquity ER-X are hard to set up so I'm not leaning towards it

    • Stability, if possible for the price. The router will be slightly out of reach so it would be a hassle to constantly mess around with it and reset it.

    • I can give or take the 5 GHZ wifi (or not have wifi at all since the modem is more than capable of covering the rooms I need it in)

    • At least 4 ethernet ports

    I thought about getting the TP Link ac1200 V2 (couldn't find V1) but I read very different opinions about it, especially about the stability part.

    Any recommendations?

    Also, I don't know if it matters that much but all the ethernet cable I'll be using are gold plated and Cat7

    submitted by /u/JustJohnItalia
    [link] [comments]

    How to hide a WAP?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 08:10 AM PDT

    So my university has a restricted wifi network that uses enterprise wifi which means I cannot connect my amazon echo to wifi. In the past I have connected a WAP to my ethernet port however this year they have detected the WAP (listed SSID and WAP brand). My WAP is not currently providing DHCP is there a way to hide my wap from the network and still use it?

    submitted by /u/niteninja1
    [link] [comments]

    Wi-Fi faster than powerline adapter?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:37 PM PDT

    I've always used a powerline ethernet adapter for my PC (up to 500 mbps) because my wifi router was at the end of the house. Now I've just recently gotten a faster internet plan and they also gave me wifi pods so there's a wifi pod right in my room so the range is not a problem anymore and my internet speed is twice as fast now.

    Now I tried testing my download speed by downloading a game on Steam but then it's only going up to 1.5MB/s? I then unplugged the adapter and as soon as I connected through Wi-Fi, the speed kept climbing up to 7.5MB/s.

    Should I just not use my powerline anymore since there's pretty much Wi-Fi in my room now? I like to do a lot of online gaming and twitch streaming every now and then so I need to have a consistent speed for my connection.

    submitted by /u/Jekkers08
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from AT&T Uverse to Cox

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 11:44 AM PDT

    I'm moving from an apartment to a real house in Tulsa and that means shopping around for a new ISP.
    Looks like I'm gonna have two choices: ATT or Cox (I guess those aren't the worst-all things considered).
    I currently pay $90 a month for 100/20 (no data cap) from Uverse and Cox told me they could get me one of those fancy synchronous fiber lines for $20 more than what I'm currently paying.

    All that said, my question is seeking the advice of this awesome community:

    What should/can I expect from Cox if I make the jump? Any reason to not switch?

    submitted by /u/evendude7763
    [link] [comments]

    Internet connection issues: Upload nonexistent, cannot access certain websites, 4G router connection

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 07:33 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm feeling exhausted after a week of trying and testing all the different possible fixes for my problem. I decided it's finally time I post a thread. I don't think there's anything else I can do anymore with searching online myself.

    Situation: Using a 4G router with a SIM card to use the internet connection.

    - receiving high ping (70ms to 120ms)

    - download speeds good but vary a lot (15mbit/s - 90mbit/s)

    - upload speed seems non exsitent (most online upload tests return an error (socket error))

    - cannot open certain websites at all (e.g. reddit), other websites like facebook.com work but can't access certain functions (e.g. cannot open chat at all, or when opened, cannot send messages)

    - other websites, incl. video streaming websites work perfectly

    - all mobile phones work just fine on the same network

    - two PCs work fine on the network

    - two PCs show the same issues (no upload, connection reset error, socket error)

    - tried fixes: updating/rolling back drivers, uninstalling/disabling all AV and firewall, uninstalling all (if any) ''cleaning'' software, tried formatting, reinstalling Windows 7 & 10

    - the laptop that has issues on the 4G home network, works JUST FINE in an internet caffee/ other home networks (friend's apartment) and coffee shops

    - tried using different routers at home, both with wireless and ethernet

    - tried using different category ethernet cables

    - tried disconnecting ALL devices from the network, rebooting the router, and connecting ONLY one laptop that had issues - this doesn't work

    - tried flushing/changing DNS settings locally and on the router, tried using a set IPv4 address, same issues as it were with DHCP

    - tried setting the router to only use a 3G connection, not 4G exclusively

    - tried to play with many settings in the router interface, including updating its firmware

    - tried loads of other small "fixes" found across the web

    - tried getting a brand new SIM card that's normally used for the 4G connection, no affect at all

    - contacted ISP and confirmed there are no issues with their network coverage and they've also said there hasn't been any reports lately with these kinds of issues, so in summary it's me not them

    I am left baffled, this part of the city I'm living in doesn't have the infrastructure for even decent ADSL speeds or fiber/optic connections. 4G is pretty much my only option, and it just doesn't work.

    In summary, the same laptop that works normally with internet connections in other places, doesn't work well with my home connection. On the other hand, one other laptop (friend's) works just fine with my home connection. So I am left baffled... I don't know if I mentioned this, I also tried using different routers, both on wireless and ethernet, and different category ethernet cables (tried to mimic everything that the computers that DO work do, but to no relief).

    Any and all advice appreciated... Hope there's someone out there that managed to deal with the same situation. Humbly offering to Paypal $50 to anyone that can help me out. All my work depends on having a somewhat stable internet connection with an upload speed.

    submitted by /u/rundbear
    [link] [comments]

    If I have already changed my routers DNS address, do I need to manually change my devices DNS server address?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 03:34 AM PDT

    My router is currently using Google Dns since I have manually configured/set it. Just curious, do I need to change my devices (phone/computer) DNS address too?

    FYI: Our ISP does not use CGNAT and we are using the ISP provided router which has been configured to use manual Google ipv6 Dns.

    submitted by /u/Gaminglife18
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel