• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    13,3 laptop for college (programming, business)

    13,3 laptop for college (programming, business)


    13,3 laptop for college (programming, business)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 01:58 AM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase: 4500 PLN (~1200 USD) - would be nice to buy something cheaper of course. Country: Poland.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life is really important for me. I demand at least 8 hours (the more, the better) run with one code editor card (vs code) and ~3 browser cards, nothing more - maybe e-mail sometimes.

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Probably more than build quality, I will use this anywhere, so would be nice to have light weighted machine.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows/Linux/Mac

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13,3

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Sometimes simple graphic edit, but specs are not that important as battery life.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Top battery life, lightness, comfortable keyboard and touch-screen.

    submitted by /u/mk27x
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 13 vs. Macbook Pro 13

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:16 PM PDT

    Which one would you buy?


    XPS13 - 2018 white/gold model with i7-8550u cpu, intel 620 gpu, 8gb ram, 512 ssd, 4k touchscreen

    Pros: Higher resolution and touch screen, option for cheaper 256 ssd and upgrade down the line, better customer service.


    Macbook Pro -touchbar model with i5 8259u. iris 655 gpu, 8gb ram, 256 ssd

    Pros: Slightly bigger screen and slightly faster cpu/gpu/ram


    Both computers are about the same price of about $1500-$1600 usd in my country

    I plan to use them for several years or sell it down the line so longevity is the most important for me.

    I take good care of my stuff so components quality is what I am concerned about.

    I am comfortable with both these laptops and both do what I need.

    I was wondering which one you would buy. Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/iceterrapin
    [link] [comments]

    Stealthy 15" notebook for programming and occasional gaming

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:23 AM PDT

    Currently I'm an owner of Dell xps l502x, all in all it is a good device, but it is "fat", loud and not the most good-looking laptop nowadays (especially not for a business meeting). I'm looking for something with spec similar to:

    CPU: I7 (preferably not U series)
    GPU: (preferably nvidia discrete graphic)
    STORAGE: 512+ SSD
    RAM: 16GB
    DISPLAY: 15" FHD

    and average to good thermals/noise. Battery life is not the most important, but few hours would be welcomed.

    Now I'm looking at Dell xps 9570 and ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550GE so the price range is about ~1700-2000 EUR (lower is better). I'm particularly interested in the second one, but I'm not sure about ASUS, never had one, so quality is a mystery for me.

    submitted by /u/zawiczek
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 1366x768 resolution not good for a laptop in the 600$ range? I'm looking at the Lenovo Ideapad 330.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:29 AM PDT

    Looking to do light-medium gaming and photoshop

    submitted by /u/BiskyFrisket
    [link] [comments]

    13" Laptop for School (programming and other) 850$

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:43 AM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase:850$ Country: Israel, I also have some relatives coming over from the US all the time, so that should be included as well.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I want specifications for the money, I will have a socket available most times so battery is not a problem.

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Important, I will take this anywhere with me (and my school backpack), so would be nice to have light weighted machine.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows/Linux

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. around 13"

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I use Photoshop from time to time, about gaming I don't intend to play games on this machine because I already have a PC for gaming

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I guess a nice CPU and amount of RAM, lightness, and comfortable keyboard. SSD is important even if it means there will be a short amount of storage

    submitted by /u/Basicfreeze
    [link] [comments]

    College student looking to spend all my life savings. Budget AUD$4500 (~USD$3250)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 03:40 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: AUD$4500 (i get student discounts almost anywhere too)
    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. - Specs are essential. Needs to run fast and smooth
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Below 6lbs
    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows
    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Above 14"
    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Light gaming and photo editing
    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Good keyboard, display resolution no lower than 2560x1440p
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Many suggest the new macbook but the one thing that's really attractive to me about it is the whole ecosystem - I won't have that with all my android devices. I used to have Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon 2 gen, and was considering the 6 gen one. Microsoft Surface Book 2 seems like a good option as well :^/ Dell XPS resolution is too low
    submitted by /u/stickybots
    [link] [comments]

    Lenovo Ideapad 530S or ASUS Zenbook 14

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:02 AM PDT

    Both laptops have the specs I'm looking for which is:-

    • 8th Gen I7-8550U
    • 16GB RAM
    • 512GB SSD
    • Decent graphics card (Nvdia MX150 or geforce 1050)

    Ideapad 530S (81EU006SSB) - S$1649
    ASUS Zenbook 14 (UX430UN) - S$1898

    My intention is to use them for studies and some light gaming.

    Which one will you buy? If you own one, how well do they perform when you are gaming?

    Any other recommendations with the stated specs? I need something with decent battery life and portability (<2kg). Thanks

    submitted by /u/finalkian
    [link] [comments]

    budget gaming laptop in india

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 09:55 PM PDT

    okay guys so i am from india and gaming is super expensive here, we are literally getting ripped off in electronics in general. i have always wanted to buy a laptop and now im gonna get a job so I'll be able to afford one. never ever owned a laptop because financial restraints and the last game i played was GTA sa on a hp laptop which is like ancient as my grandma. so please suggest a laptop. thanks

    • Total budget and country of purchase: budget is around 60k INR and from india * Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. best specs for Money, I don't care for battery, it should last maybe 4 hr if thats what it takes. * How important is weight and thinness to you? none * Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. windows* Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. -maybe 15-17 inches * Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. not anything other than gaming and some browsing on internet. * If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? GTA V, red dead redemption 2, fallout 4 * Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? only specific thing is that laptop should not go out of date small tike maybe last for 5-6 years * Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. n/a
    submitted by /u/unrefusableoffer69
    [link] [comments]

    All-out $575-$750, Philippines |Moderate Editing and Gaming | Performance >> Battery

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:49 AM PDT

    Hi Reddit! Zephaniah here with a Reddit post. I have to apologize in advance if my English sounds weird. I am not a native English Speaker though I know my grasp at the language. Anyways, I am a Grade 11 Student residing in the Philippines looking for a laptop both for educational and personal use. I use a laptop daily ranging from video and photo editing, note-taking and gaming. Though it's been a while since I played a game but more on that later. We're not that rich so this is a big deal in terms of finances since saving money here is difficult. Regardless of this, I hope there is a laptop out there that I can lean on so here's my form:

    • **Total budget and country of purchase:*\*
      Budget is around $575-$750 (which is around ₱30,000 - 40,000 in my country). Though I am looking for laptops pertaining to that range. One laptop for $575, another around $600+ and one costing around $750. I live in the Philippines, a third world country and where the temperature can intensify from 30-40° C over the afternoon. Very specific laptop models might be difficult to find but I can do some research before resorting to shipping. The leftover money from the budget will be spent on a future PC build my brothers and I will work on after this purchase years after.

    • **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.*\*
      I can settle with a refurbished model or a brand new but barely-used 2nd hand laptop. I heavily prefer performance over battery life. With that, specs for the price are crucial and important. Battery should last for about a couple of hours with Airplane Settings on with the exception of WiFi. In terms of specs, I need at least 8GB RAM (will probably upgrade in the future), a decent i5 processor (3.00ghz+ as much as possible or an i7 if we can), a Graphics Card that has the same power as the Nvidia GeForce 1050 (or 1050ti if there's a cheeky deal that exists) or a level below that. Ideal space should be 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD which would be great.

    • Side Note - I want to try out AMD as a CPU but since we live in a country that's hot, I don't want to risk it by damaging it as I continue to use it during the summer where the heat usually makes it presence known. Though it's just widely known and said in my country that AMD chips are so susceptible to heat that's it's very risky to try it unless you have a proper cooling system. Since this is a laptop, not a PC Build, I just don't want to risk it.

    • **How important is weight and thinness to you?*\*
      Not that much. As long as the laptop with the charger, mouse and touchpad fits in your typical school backpack, it's good. I don't have books, just notebooks since we're more into research.

    • **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.*\*
      Windows 10 is highly preferred. Windows 8 is not ideal, to be honest.

    • **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.*\*
      Something proportional to 15" inches. 17" is okay but not desperately needed and wanted. As much as long the proportion is great to the keyboard and touchpad, it's okay.

    • **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.*\*
      As mentioned earlier, I edit videos and photos. I use Adobe Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Sony Vegas. I also use your typical MS Office Applications like Word and PowerPoint. I use Steam for gaming and use Discord most of the time when I play with friends. I use Google Chrome and open around more than 10 tabs when doing academic research with Wordpad besides it. I eat up a lot of memory to be honest.

    • **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?*\*
      I used to play a lot of Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 and CS:GO. I mainly play Indie games and online multiplayer games. I look forward to being able to play them at max or mid-high settings with more than 60+fps. I also want to be able to try out more modern games such as Overwatch, Fortnite and Rainbow Six Siege and be play them with medium or low settings as long as I am able to play them consistently at 45+fps. This goes the same to some more modern Triple A Titles such as Doom, Fallout IV, Rise of the Tomb Raider and other 2016-2017 Triple A games. I can settle with low-medium settings as long as I'm getting 30+fps consistently. I've played TESV: Skyrim on the lowest settings so I'm kind of used to weird and clunky graphics.

    • **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?*\*
      A good mechanical keyboard is preferred but honestly as long as it's durable, is not clunky and a bit resistant to, I'm fine. The same goes to the Touchpad. As long as they're comfortable to use consistently, I'm good. Though I need an HDMI Port, Ethernet Port, Thunderbolt 3 USB Drives, an Audio Input and Output. An Optical Drive is preferred but not needed. I don't need touch-screen or a finger-print reader. The build should be reliable enough to be able to fight throttling and allows cooling to fight off heat and for it to breathe. Again, since I live in a country with ridiculous heat, I kind of need a laptop built to fight off heat and allows cooling to work.

    • **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.*\*
      I honestly sound picky. I do not know if my budget fits the specs I want but I can compromise with the GPU. Memory and CPU is something I need to be firm on. As long as I can use something for 4-5 years, I will be content. Though then again, I want to use a laptop that I can enjoy within those years. My current laptop, an ASUS with an Intel Core i3 with 2.3gHz, 4.00GB RAM, and a GeForce 610M, this buy by your suggestions would be an absolute upgrade- most especially since our laptop now looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/guL1nuAIt consistently crashes on a daily basis, the display have some dead pixels and we just connect it now via a monitor, keyboard and mouse since we removed the frame to allow it to breathe more. By this point, I just need a decent laptop that can live up to today's normal video editing, photo editing, note-taking, typing and gaming I can actually bring somewhere. Hopefully this information should suffice and if you reached it this far, thank you. Many thanks if you are able to suggest something I can use.

    TL;DR - I need a laptop that at least has 8GB RAM, an i5 processor (3.00+gHz), and a GPU that can handle some Triple A Titles today that fits around the $575-$750 budget range. Heat resistant builds are a must to fight throttling.

    submitted by /u/Zephylizabeth
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an engineering laptop under $1200

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:28 PM PDT

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:**

    <$1200, but I can spend more if I have to

    * **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**

    Doesn't need to be 2 in 1 form, but I wish it to run most of engineering related programs needed in Electrical engineering course.

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?**

    doesn't matter

    * **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**

    Windows or Linux preferred

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**

    13 inch or little above. 15inch doesn't fit into my backpack

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**

    Possibly CAD, MATLAB, etc

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**

    N/A

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**

    reliable build quality and good A/S is preferable

    Good GPU, large storage, good screen quality make it better

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**

    Purposes:

    MATLAB, CAD, etc

    Youtube

    No need for touchpad

    Thank you!!!

    submitted by /u/SaturnBloom
    [link] [comments]

    A laptop for programming and a bit of gaming, $800

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:59 PM PDT

    I'm about to take computer science course at the university, so I will mostly use it programming but i will also use it for photoshop, some video editing and a bit of gaming. My budget is well, $800, but i can add up to $50 more if it's a good deal.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    Prefer best specs for the money, good battery life (at least 10 hours)

    **How important is weight and thinness to you?

    Portability would be great as it is for college

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Windows

    **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    Between 14-15.6 inches.

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    Programming. App dev, game dev, general dev.

    Some occasional photo+video editing

    Light gaming (gaming is infrequent)

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    If I were to play anything it'd be Overwatch and well, the sims? Would play in low to medium settings but with 60FPS

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    No 2 in 1 at all unless it's the absolute best deal.

    I'd prefer an i7, 7th or 8th gen, at least 8GB of ram, with 256 of SSD and a larger HDD, 16GB and 512GB SSD would be cool though

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    I need to use it for a long time because $800 is already too expensive for me, so i hope it's going to last more than the 4 year at university and can help me go through with my work some more few years afterward. Since some components are upgradable, it would be a plus if i can upgrade the components later

    Thanks, and sorry if i'm looking for something that's too much and sorry for my bad English tho

    Edit: Grammar mistakes

    submitted by /u/Ryan17ch
    [link] [comments]

    Need a nice laptop for $3000

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 04:35 PM PDT

    Copy-pasted the post (meaning to post there first but oh well) from /r/SuggestALaptop

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $3000 USD

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I prefer best specs for the money, and good battery life

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Not needed, but it would be nice

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13"-15.6"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, Adobe After Effects)

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I'd love to have a fingerprint reader, and a GREAT keyboard (if possible, mechanical), I love the Trackpoint on my current Thinkpad T540p

    submitted by /u/PCMRwill0956
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS VivoBook S510UN or Acer Aspire 5?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:06 PM PDT

    ASUS VivoBook S510UN or Acer Aspire 5?

    So I've been researching getting a new laptop for about a month now for casual use and maybe some light video editing, (a mid range between 600-800) and it looks like it's come down to the ASUS VivoBook S510UN or the Acer Aspire 5.

    Both have pretty much the same specs I'm looking for (8G RAM, MX-150 Graphics card, 256 SSD, etc.) I'm leaning a bit towards the Asus because I've heard their screen is a tad better than the Acer but wanted to ask on here what other people may think of either machine in any respect before I make a decision on a purchase. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Darkshadow78
    [link] [comments]

    College student who wants an upgrade for a dying laptop, <$1500, US

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:01 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1500, budget is not my main point of concern, if I need to go over I will

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. prefer specs, battery life is less important, touchscreen or 2 in 1 not wanted

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? not important

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. more than 13", less than 15.6"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I use Adobe suite for work, Sims is only game

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? EA says NVIDIA GTX 650 or better for graphics

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? if parts were easily replaceable by me that would be great (I have ruined keyboards with coffee and had to replace them in the past)

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. My current laptop does not have enough memory for me to easily run multiple programs at once (something that is useful for research and schoolwork), and is physically falling apart. I would like an upgrade, but I have so many options because of my large budget that I don't know which direction to go in. My current specs are: CPU Intel Core i5-2450M CUP @ 2.50GHz RAM 6 GB 750 GB hard drive (not ssd) 1366x768 screen on 15.6" laptop Intel HD Graphics 3000 It's a Lenovo V570, and it's 6 years old, and it was under $600 when I bought it Thanks for any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/minstumes
    [link] [comments]

    $400-500 USA | no optical drive | performance >>>> battery | light game play, and heavy video/audio/photo editing

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 08:51 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:
      $400-500, USA

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.
      Willing to get a refurbished model. Specs for the price are mandatory. If I can get 8 GB RAM [upgrade-able to more] and a recent i5 processor, that'd be unreal. 1TB HDD + 500GB SSD would be highly desired.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you?
      N/A

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.
      Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.
      15.6", for the purpose of having a numpad and relatively small form factor.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.
      Intend to use Adobe Suite for editing: including PS, Audition, After Effects, & Premier, with the intent for self education and hobbying. Regarding gaming, I mostly play Heroes of the Storm and indie games on Steam.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?
      Read above

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
      Again, numpad is highly desired. Durable. It'd be great to have quality keyboard that can handle a lot of typing/key presses. I have an audio interface for sound, and a video card isn't an absolute necessity. No need for touchscreen. I use a mouse for most of my needs.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.
      I might be asking for too much, but my current laptop might have spoiled me: Samsung ATIV Book 4 NP470R5E-K01UB. It was a refurbish, I got it for $420+tax, and has lasted me 4 years. But it's getting slow and clunky and just doesn't meet my demands now. And some keys are starting to fail, making typing really annoying.
      I need heavy duty storage, but somehow getting an SSD in addition would be great. If I can add this bad boy, it would be awesome.
      Additionally, when researching, I might have 10-20 Chrome tabs open while editing and downloading 1-4 GB files.
      tl;dr - I can be really hard on the laptop, as I can and will run it through the wringer. I take care of the machine physically.

    submitted by /u/itsthevoiceman
    [link] [comments]

    Need Windows laptop, must have glossy screen

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 08:05 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:

    $1,200 max USA (though I prefer not to spend that much)

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    Best specs. Good battery life (or at least not lousy).

    • How important is weight and thinness to you?

    Not really important

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    15.6 inch, glossy screen (not matte!)

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    Adobe Illustrator, GIMP, Python (for machine learning)

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    ** I would like a 512 GB SSD or a 256 GB SSD with 1 TB hard drive. ** I do a lot of data entry, so I need to have a numeric keypad. ** A NVIDIA GPU for machine learning/deep learning applications is preferred but not mandatory. ** I require an ethernet port (many new laptops seem to be missing this).

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    The screen must be glossy. For some reason matte screens on laptops make me nauseous.

    *EDIT: formatting issues

    submitted by /u/SpiroCat2
    [link] [comments]

    15.6" (or bigger) $1,600.00 USA Gaming / Work Laptop Request

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:03 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1,600.00, USA.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specs for the money. It will be plugged in most of the time.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Unimportant. I'm looking for a desktop replacement and it won't be moved around very often.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15.6"+ My current laptop is 17.3" and I love the nice, big screen.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Minor video editing, work, and gaming.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Yes, I plan to use it for games. I'm an /r/patientgamer so I'm usually a couple of years behind current games. I just downloaded Shadow of War.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I need a 10-key on the keyboard for work. I'd prefer not to have a touch screen. A strong WiFi adapter and Bluetooth would be very useful to me.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I love the SSD on my current laptop (ASUS ROG G752VT). It's been a huge quality of life improvement to have short boot times and have Windows running so quickly. I was looking at this ASUS from Costco (I like their warranty) but I'm not thrilled about the GPU and I'd love to hear feedback. I'd prefer that it is not an HP. I've been burnt by them a couple of times and I just can't bring myself to buy another one of their computers.

    On a somewhat related note, I'm also looking for a decent mid-range 10" Samsung tablet ($400-$800) if anyone has any suggestions or experience.

    Thank you for the help.

    submitted by /u/SeanV2oh
    [link] [comments]

    Uni student for music production ~£600 budget

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 03:42 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: £600, UK

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Specs

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Only weight, not overly heavy

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows or Mac

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Serato DJ, Ableton Live, League of Legends

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Medium settings would be ideal, 60fps for LoL

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? N/A

    submitted by /u/calkeeno
    [link] [comments]

    Best Large, Well-Built, General Application Windows Laptop w/ Great Picture & Audio (Unlimited Budget)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 03:41 PM PDT

    I don't need any special amount of power and I'm not a gamer nor do I do heavy computing of any kind. Therefore, my main concern is the build type and quality. I need the following:

    • Needs to be Windows
    • Has to have a big screen (15-17") and fantastic picture quality. I'm setting no particular budget so that the build and picture quality are top-notch.
    • The laptop doesn't have to qualify as very portable but it can't be insanely heavy. For reference, I had a 15.6" Acer Chromebook 15 and thought it was a great size and weight. Had it been a Windows laptop, I might even have got another.
    • Should be sturdy and be able to withstand a busy travel schedule with the potential for many dings, drops, and other everyday issues.
    • Needs to be able to flawlessly handle the following activities: intense web browsing (20+ tabs open when I periodically forget to use the suspender), gigantic spreadsheet editing, and Rollercoaster Tycoon (which is why I need Windows specifically).
    • Needs to have great all-around speakers as I'm constantly listening to music of all types (Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, The Beatles, James Taylor, Debussy, Zeppelin, african folk music, you name it)
    • BONUS: If the laptop looks great -- even better...not a necessity though.

    Thank you very much in advance for your input. If not for people more experienced and knowledgeable than me, I would have to learn about this myself.

    submitted by /u/mikefromnewyork86
    [link] [comments]

    Long-term school and gaming laptop, <$1100, US

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 07:03 PM PDT

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:** <$1,100, US. Must have availability to Hawaii.

    * **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.** Battery life should last around 5-6 hours, when using the web. I need to get the most for the money.

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?** Does not matter much, just not extremely heavy. Should be portable.

    * **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.** Mac or Windows.

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.** I prefer larger screens, 15.6 diagonal around, I suppose.

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.** AutoCad(not required), and gaming.

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?** Overwatch(if its mac I can use another software to run it), and osu!. 720p, I guess?

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?** Durable keyboard(osu), a touch pad that doesn't take up half the keyboard, possibly a backlit keyboard(not required), at least 2 usb inputs and a headphone jack. A quiet fan. At least 4gb ram. Must be able to run Microsoft Edge.

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.** I don't know much about laptops, but I want to have it last for the next 4-6 years. It's fine if it's releasing in the next month. Should be able to fit a decent amount of files.

    submitted by /u/Coffepot7
    [link] [comments]

    Best laptop to run the following apps smoothly.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:18 AM PDT

    Should be able to run these smoothly. Autocad Revit Sketch Lumion V ray 3D Max Photoshop

    I'm an architecture student. Budget is around $1k

    submitted by /u/et-nad
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop $500 School and programming

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 09:08 AM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase: United States and looking for a max of $500, can chip in a little more if something is better and only $50~ more

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    Was leaning towards a 2 in 1 laptop and specifications

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Doesnt really matter

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows only

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 14"-15.6" max

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    I'm a first year computer science student and own a gaming PC so this laptop would be strictly for programming in c++ and a few other languages. I'd be running MSVS and maybe spotify or chrome up, but other than that not much. Laptop strictly for school

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? No games, but if I were to play anything it'd be hearthstone

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Not too picky. Looking for a laptop that'll operate pretty fast. Backlit keyboard not a must, but wouldnt hurt. Good battery life is pretty important too

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Nothing else. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Deheberic
    [link] [comments]

    Acer Swift 3 2018 vs Matebook D 14 Ryzen 2500

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 06:44 PM PDT

    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-SF314-54-56L8-i5-8250U-Windows-Silver/dp/B07BJT451N/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1538267484&sr=8-7&keywords=acer+swift+3+2018

    vs

    https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Kepler-MateBook-14-Mystic/dp/B07G7GSM29/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538271257&sr=8-1&keywords=matebook+d+14

    Anyone´s been in the same boat? Ill answer the Q format but I really just need something for college that is light, portable, great battery life (don´t care for the mx150 in the pricier swift model), and relliable. Ill be going studying abroad.

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:** ~850

    * **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.** Battery life & specs.

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?** Quite important.

    * **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.** Windows

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.** 13-14

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.** Nope. Just Matlab, Minitab, Microsoft office stuff.

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?** Nope.

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?** Reliable build quality and great keyboard.

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.** I would have bought the Matebook D 14 already; im just scared about it breaking up on me and not being able to talk to cust. support or idk. If anyone has experience with the new swift 3 or matebook d 14 I would appreciate any tips!

    submitted by /u/Mexican-Hobo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a laptop, high-performance, programming, low end gaming

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    Hi,Im looking for a laptop to be used for programming and some low end gaming.

    preferable specs:
    - 7th gen and above intel i7 (vPro will be awesome)
    - OR AMD Ryzen CPUs
    - GPU (Vega / nvidia)
    - 16gb ram and above
    - 256gb ssd and above

    bonus specs:
    - touchscreen
    - fingerprint reader
    -thunderbolt port

    Budget wise, looking for a laptop up to 2400$US.

    submitted by /u/Cysho
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Lenovo c930

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:26 AM PDT

    So I started looking for a laptop and I really didn't know what to get. I sort of liked the yoga 920 and recently saw that Lenovo is releasing a newer version, the c930. I know its not out yet, but what are your thoughts? Should I wait for it or buy something that's out now?

    Here's a link to the Lenovo site: https://www.lenovo.com/my/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-c-series/Yoga-C930-13IKB/p/88YGC900982

    submitted by /u/monkeyburrito411
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel