• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, April 21, 2018

    Linux Young profession with privacy, security, and monopoly concerns asks: is Linux right for me?

    Linux Young profession with privacy, security, and monopoly concerns asks: is Linux right for me?


    Young profession with privacy, security, and monopoly concerns asks: is Linux right for me?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:29 AM PDT

    Hello. I'm your average middle twenties professional working a white collar job. I've always been interested in technology and wanted to get the latest thing. I've used a mix of Google, Apple, and Microsoft devices and services over the years. In the past couple of years, however, I've become concerned around privacy and security of my data and the large tech companies having so much influence over our data with what seems like very low public understanding of what that means (at least I struggle to understand it).

    My question is would switching to a Linux OS, such as Ubuntu, assuage my concerns and still give me the computing experience I've come to expect. I get that there will be changes and things to get use to. If it helps, I have a Surface Pro 3 which I keep in excellent shape. I have zero coding experience; what I looked at the Surface Linux sub on how to install Linux on a surface device, it all became Greek to me once I saw the stuff about kernels. So that's where I am.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Texpat90
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody know how to fix this problem of borders around the windows? (xubuntu)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:46 PM PDT

    Dual booting Windows, harmful to linux?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:43 AM PDT

    I have been told that, even if I put linux on a seperate hard drive to Windows, that malware affecting Windows can potentially cause problems to the linux side.

    I'm wondering to what extent this is true or not, what sort of risks are involved and what are the practical implications of this?

    submitted by /u/AlpacaKid
    [link] [comments]

    Do the latest version of Arch Linux, Kali Linux, Linux Mint, Manjaro and Ubuntu (from 16.04) still depend on Python 2? How about purging it?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:22 AM PDT

    Hello and good morning,

    I am an user of Linux for a decade - Ubuntu for 5 years, Linux Mint for 2 years, Arch Linux and Manjaro for 2 years, with currently Kali Linux for one year (I have meant I have used Arch Linux, Manjaro and Kali Linux together). As I have a Mac mini, I switched to macOS, also for a decade, although I still be faith to Linux and still have Linux in my other two computers. I work a lot with programming, server and terminal.

    But as the computer science student in my last year in college, I am required by professors to study reliability and maintainability of software of NASA, together with fault-tolerant system and [information] security, related to aerospace engineering as my term paper, and to work on two projects about OpenCV, therefore, I have to use Linux.

    I have heard the news that Arch Linux, Debian and Ubuntu (from 18.04) will drop Python 2 and will use Python 3 as default. Python 2 will be terminated next 1 year, 8 months and 12 days.

    I installed three distributions - last versions of Kali and Manjaro, and Ubuntu 16.04.

    Today, at Kali Linux, when I was going to install some packages, it told Python 2 packages were going to be installed. At Manjaro and Ubuntu, it also told.

    I wonder if the last version of all these distributions still depend on Python 2, because I want to use only Python 3 and economise the hard disk and a lot of work (for saving more than 10GB). Do Kali, Manjaro e Ubuntu 16.04 need Python 2? If I install all these packages, can I purge Python 2?

    I think of moving to Ubuntu 18.04, because it will use Python 3 only as default, but I need to know...

    If I want to install packages similar to metasploit-framework and to webshells of Kali, and OpenCV, will Ubuntu 18.04 need Python 2?

    And will the next versions of all these distributions that I have used during a decade, need Python 2 to install these similar packages and OpenCV?

    Thank you for your attention, help, patience and understanding!

    submitted by /u/gusbemacbe
    [link] [comments]

    Special characters in terminal

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 12:10 PM PDT

    Greetings,

    I'm using RP3 with Raspbian light, I have set my locals via raspi-config to use en_GB + si_Sl and set my default/display language as English. Now I'm having problems displaying special characters like -> č,š,ž,.. So I tried fixing the issue in /etc/default/locale and set is as following http://shrani.si/f/31/D8/4XC8qCEx/img20180420004538.jpg and my locales are set as http://shrani.si/f/j/QF/ALPUXro/img20180420004031.jpg What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/Ffdd3
    [link] [comments]

    How to make Audacious auto-update my playlist?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:24 AM PDT

    I got a directory called Music where downloaded files through Nicotine are allocated. I set Audacious to use this directory as my playlist, but when i download new files, it don't apper on Audacious. I have to set the directory again.

    submitted by /u/Torcedor_do_America
    [link] [comments]

    I've realized I know next to nothing about the filesystem compared to what I thought I knew, can anyone give a run down?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:18 AM PDT

    So I thought I knew at least the basics of how the file system works and such but right now I'm trying to change my steam game directory to be on a separate harddrive and I'm starting to realize all of this is foreign to me.

    A couple of questions if you don't feel like giving a rundown of filesystem:

    • If all media devices are stored on / then how do their contents not consume space on my install drive

    • What's the difference between /mnt/ and /media/

    submitted by /u/dreymatic
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, Parrot OS isn’t booting, used it everyday for about a year but suddenly this is happening. I’m not a linux noob but tried everything I could think of, any advice?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:22 AM PDT

    Arch Linux Brightness Problem.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:57 AM PDT

    I'm using lenovo z500 and It has some buggy things. Brightness problems one of them. I know how to fix it in windows but I don't know how to fix it in Arch Linux. Could some please help

    submitted by /u/BedirhanYalta
    [link] [comments]

    I have ubuntu 16.04 installed. How do I boot from my usb disk to reformat and reinstall ubuntu?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:51 AM PDT

    I searched in google and could only find how to reformat and reinstall on windows. I currently have Ubuntu 16.04 on my mac mini and want to reinstall it. When I boot up I hit f2 and f12 but nothing happens. It just boots into ubuntu as normal. Any ideas??

    submitted by /u/dox1842
    [link] [comments]

    Backup And Restore Application Settings On Newly Installed Linux System

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:00 AM PDT

    What are some "MBR-Friendly" distributions which I can install without having problems in booting Windows?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    I tried with Ubuntu and Deepin but there's always something that mess my PC up and doesn't let to boot Windows 10 and 7 (I've got them both in dual boot)

    submitted by /u/_matke
    [link] [comments]

    Kubuntu 17.10 - can't set full resolution on Intel graphics

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 01:46 PM PDT

    I'm trying to run Kubuntu 17.10 and 18.04 but the graphics settings are set to a max 1920x1080.

    My monitor is 2560x1440. I'm using an older gigabyte brix

    Is there a package for Intel graphics drivers?

    submitted by /u/bearassbobcat
    [link] [comments]

    Wash error - any ideas?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 01:20 PM PDT

    Downloading VirtualBox to create a virtual Ubuntu OS

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:00 AM PDT

    Any tips for someone embarking on this journey with not experience?

    submitted by /u/Zayba
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - 5 boxes with red or white dots on display

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:51 AM PDT

    Hello. My father runs Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on one of his computers.

    Currently, his Ubuntu computer is displaying a series of 5 boxes with red or white dots that appears to be some sort of progress bar. The dots change color in what appears to be a left to right progression. One pass they will turn from white to red and on the next pass they change from red to white.

    Rebooting the computer does not cause this progress indicator to go away.

    Any ideas on what might be causing this? The computer seems to be running fine but it's a little bit annoying to have these boxes with color changing dots in the middle of the screen.

    edit: Here is a link to a photo of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/QOLaCf2

    submitted by /u/bigdummy9999
    [link] [comments]

    Script at startup PER PROFILE and feeding a password

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi all! I'm specifically working in Debian 9. I have found the first part of this answer for 'buntu, but it doesn't seem to be applicable in Debian.

    I have two profiles on my computer that exist for different purposes and must behave differently. How would I have a script run for a certain profile on startup? I have stuff running universally on startup, but I need it to only run for one of the profiles.

    Also, I just installed a service that I can operate via CLI. After the command to start the service, it then prompts the user for a password. How can I make a script (preferably in Python, though I'm not opposed to learning bash) that can start the service and then feed in the password?

    Thanks for any help that can be provided!

    submitted by /u/ConwayK9781
    [link] [comments]

    How to dual boot windows/debian withe encrypted debian / partition

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 10:36 AM PDT

    I need to dual boot windows (installed) with debian(not installed) but i want the debian to be encrypted with just 1 partition(only /, not /home or/var). But i've only used the "use entire disk" and i can't figure out the "manual" option.

    submitted by /u/whoami1331
    [link] [comments]

    Question about user durring Linux instalation

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:44 AM PDT

    As we know there is option to add user account as administrator(during instalation).

    How is compared to Root?

    submitted by /u/XDF5
    [link] [comments]

    Does Timeshift use all disk?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 09:31 AM PDT

    EDIT: I've rebooted and now there's a folder called timeshift and i'm able to access the other files.

    ~~Hello,

    For the first time i used timeshift in linux mint, i selected one external HDD, i just selected 'sdb1' and set up the cron job. I also did the first snapshot.

    I thought that timeshift would create one file but now i can't access the external disk anymore 'could not enter folder ...' so i'm assuming i have to make a partition just for timeshift?~~

    submitted by /u/Burt_93
    [link] [comments]

    Can't boot into Antergos Live USB

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:59 AM PDT

    I'm trying to set up a dual boot with my current windows 10 PC. I have some experience with Antergos and its currently installed on my laptop and i had no issues using a USB, booting to a live desktop and installing with cnchi. Using the exact same USB and image writer (Rufus, set for UEFI MBR partitioning only) and exact same ISO file (not re-downloaded, I made the bootable for my laptop with this machine and kept the ISO) It will only boot to a screen that looks like this as opposed to what I used before that looked like this. I've tried using multiple different image writers, each with differing degrees of success but still i can only get to the first black and white screen.

    What could be causing this in my PC? Is it a problem with my BIOS settings? My motherboard is an MSI b350 PC MATE on the latest firmware.

    Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/X1Phaser
    [link] [comments]

    I don't have Linux yet, all I know is it's good for programming. What OS should I use?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 12:27 PM PDT

    Little Help

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 05:02 AM PDT

    So I installed Antergos couldn't get into the login using DVI so changed to HDMI got in and tested resolutions changed to 1600x900 and it's Invalid format the moment after I put my password in can't see anything past login screen

    Any tips

    submitted by /u/seguhi87
    [link] [comments]

    Linux conf files naming scheme.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:44 AM PDT

    Hi.

    Why some conf files in linux have names like 50-mouse-acceleration.conf or 20-intel.conf. I'm asking about the number. Is it a priority thing?

    Thanks.

    Edit:

    Thank you very much for your quick response. Have a good day guys.

    Edit.2: Anyone know where I can read more on this topic?

    submitted by /u/gaabrysz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel