• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, April 16, 2018

    Linux Would like to dual boot Linux onto my current Windows 10 desktop.

    Linux Would like to dual boot Linux onto my current Windows 10 desktop.


    Would like to dual boot Linux onto my current Windows 10 desktop.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 11:08 AM PDT

    Currently, I built my own comp with a single 1TB harddrive.

    I would like to dual boot Ubuntu 14 on it ultimately because I enjoy the supported tools for compilers like g++ and CMAKE.

    Here are my questions for this:

    Ubuntu 16 vs 14, I prefer something more stable and supported and 14 has been around a whiiile. Do I need to worry about any of my PC hardware not being supported for 14?

    Windows 10 is currently the only OS on that HDD, Can I repartition my HDD even though its the only one without bad things happening?

    Is Virtualbox a better solution for my use case? ultimately I would like my linux machine to be my at home developer workstation for any projects I want to do with C++ or golang.

    lastly is there a great guide anyone can recommend to get started? Or have anything I should be aware of before jumping into this?

    submitted by /u/Borofill
    [link] [comments]

    LibreOffice - Fails to startup

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    Hi I have got some strange things with the LibreOffice for a while. Whenever I start to run it it returns this message :

    Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large Application Error

    I have removed the ~/.config/libreoffice, Reinstalled Libreoffice but it was no good.

    The major change I made before this happened was installing katoolin. Now I have removed katoolin and all its repos still the problem is around.

    submitted by /u/j_thelastdragon
    [link] [comments]

    Is there ever a point where it is necessary to be root?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:23 AM PDT

    We are always told not to do anything as root, and if we need higher privileges to use the sudo command. But is there any scenario where it is beneficial or necessary, to be the root user?

    submitted by /u/Fibreman
    [link] [comments]

    How to access Linux files from Windows?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:13 AM PDT

    I have a dual boot of Win 10 and Ubuntu on my machine. How can I access files on the Ubuntu partition from Win 10. I searched around and most people suggest ext2read . But I can't seem to get it to work? I mounted the partition but windows still dose not recognize the drive, and wants to format it. Are there other solutions? or a way to get ext2read to work?

    submitted by /u/iamnotafurry
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get the "Choose OS"-screen for two physically seperated OS?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 11:09 AM PDT

    I'm using Windows 10 and Ubuntu, but physically seperated. That means I have two hard drives , one with Windows (2TB Samsung HDD) and one with Ubuntu (3TB Hitachi HGST). Since the OS don't "see" each other, I can't choose at startup which OS I want to use. How do I "tell" the Ubuntu that there is Wondows on another hard drive so it shows me the "Choose OS"-screen, as if you use dual-boot?

    submitted by /u/Valondrum
    [link] [comments]

    Install Linux Dual Boot on a SD card

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 01:43 AM PDT

    I want to install Linux ( preferably Debian or Ubuntu) on an SD card in a laptop with Windows 10. My biggest is the following: When i try the graphic install i select the Hard drive in wich install Linux ( in this case my sd), but how can i say where is the mounting point to install the grub (wich it should be my primary hdd with windows, right?) ?

    submitted by /u/FireFox1616
    [link] [comments]

    ubuntu not booting : nobody cared (try booting with "irqpoll" option)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 10:21 AM PDT

    SO, I am new at this but my ubuntu install seems to be broken. When I start it I get a termal screen with this message .

    irq 7: nobody cared (try booting with "irqpoll" option) handlers [<ffffffffaf89c170>] amd_gpio_irq_handler Disabling IRQ #7 sd 10:0:0:0: [sdd] No Caching mode page found sd 10:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache:write through

    and lots of other stuff. will try to post screen shots, but I don't know how to other just taking a picture with my phone.

    How do I repair it to start again ?

    https://i.imgur.com/BKYyGEl.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/le8GNGZ.jpg

    https://imgur.com/gUeGoTa

    submitted by /u/Magi-1_Melchior
    [link] [comments]

    How similar are red hat and kali?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 04:05 AM PDT

    Ultimately trying to become a pen tester but I need to get a couple years of experience as a network engineer while I work towards an OSCP and improve my pen testing. Currently getting my CCENT to brush up on networking skills and was planning to study for an RHCSA to get my linux fundamentals down.

    However, I understand kali linux is what's most used in pen testing...would obtaining my RHCSA still be beneficial in honing my linux fundamentals to eventually use kali linux for pen testing?

    submitted by /u/duydoe
    [link] [comments]

    Can the Hard disk get damaged when Linux is suspended?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 01:08 AM PDT

    I try not to move around the computer too much, especially when the Hard disk is doing it's thing. This is to minimize the risk of damaging the hard disk.

    I just strated using arch linux and I am not able to Hibernate the system yet. I can suspend it though (to RAM?). I would like to know I risk damaging the hard disk when I move with the computer at this state.

    submitted by /u/iWishForMoreTea
    [link] [comments]

    Need to triple boot

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    I need to triple boot my laptop with fedora, ubuntu and Windows 10, and need a swap space shared between all the OS. I currently have a dual boot with ubuntu and Windows but I'm going to nuke my laptop soon and need advise.

    submitted by /u/kish_pierre
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an ssd soon; can I just install Antergos to the ssd and mount /home, etc. on the hdd?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:32 AM PDT

    Switching user using the bash shell on Ubuntu 17.10

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:23 AM PDT

    I'm creating a shell script, and one of the requirements are to logout out of the Ubuntu user and login into another one without doing any manual work by the user, entirely using script. How can this be achieved?

    SU command, it only switches user for commands execution, that's not complete switch to an user.

    I need complete switch with updates on the GUI of Ubuntu.

    submitted by /u/BoQsc
    [link] [comments]

    Specific questions about installing Linux

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:08 AM PDT

    Hello r/linux4noobs!

    I've been looking at installing linux on a severely underpowered notebook (bad CPU, 2 gigs of RAM, tiny hard-drive) to breathe a bit of new life in it, and hopefully learn stuff along the way. I have intermediate competency with computers, as I have been teaching myself programming for the past 6 months or so. So I am familiar with using the command line, BIOS doesn't terrify me, I've used pip, etc.

    In my situation what I would like to do is completely remove windows (win10 in this case) and replace it with some version of linux on the hard drive. It seems like a lot of linux versions (especially puppy linux, which is a distro I'm considering) are meant to boot off of a USB. That's great, as it would allow me to try it without removing windows entirely. However, most guides neglect to mention how Linux actually replaces windows on a machine. So, to put everything concisely:

    1. How do you gut a windows machine and put linux on it?

    2. What distros are optimal for 2G of RAM and minimal HDD space?

    3. This obviously depends on #2, but what size of USB stick would I need?

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/GuyInJeans
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas for improving cinnamon's performance?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 08:49 AM PDT

    What considerations to I need remember when using Linux in the workplace?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 08:31 AM PDT

    I use more of a tinkers' distro for personal use and love it. I will be working as a developer soon, but have only ever used Windows professionally. What distros are safe? What else should I know? How can I convince my IT department?

    submitted by /u/GrapefruitPervert
    [link] [comments]

    Why are higher privileges required to read from /dev/input/*

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 08:10 AM PDT

    Why do I have to do for example

     sudo cat /dev/input/mice 

    instead of

    cat /dev/input/mice 

    to read from the input source 'mice'?

     

    Also where do applications read from if they want for example the raw mouse input?

    submitted by /u/1redditMissingCanary
    [link] [comments]

    Which one of these two distros are best fpr common people ?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    Zorin Vs Solus, which is best for normies. The first criteria of user friendlyness is that it should not require any knowledge of terminal and command prompt. Just like windows and Mac, one shouldn't even know about the existence of these things. If any other distros fulfills this criteria, please suggest them, I would really appreciate it. I am fine with paid distros too. Thank you for helping me with my past questions, this community is the best. My goal is to use Linux as a normie. I don't want to learn anything about how OSs work or gain any technical knowledge in this field. Just like 90% of the people. There's a reason Mac os is at the top of user friendlyness market.

    submitted by /u/faith_crusader
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone knows how to fix this?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 07:13 AM PDT

    Mount Points

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 03:24 AM PDT

    I'm aiming to install Linux and have a question re mount points

    I'm install the OS on a 120GB SSD I've got a 2TB internal drive to be used as storage and I'm trying to understand mount points

    I want to call the 2TB drive storage or something else and I'm stuck re mounting it do I mount it at / for that drive or mkdir/Storage and then mount it at Storage and make sure fstab is correct so it auto mounts?? Will the drive start at Storage and ignore anything before the mount point??

    Confused a bit

    submitted by /u/seguhi87
    [link] [comments]

    set nu "number line width" vi only not vim

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 06:19 AM PDT

    Hello, I've been having some problem with my vi editor. The width (starting from the left until the number) when executing set nu is very big for my liking. Is there anyway to reduce this? as the post said, vi not vim. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/trabeast
    [link] [comments]

    [Solus] Wifi unavailable after fresh install

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 05:43 AM PDT

    Just installed Solus on my XPS 9370. The latest iso image on the site seems to be a little dated and my wireless card doesn't seem to work at all. I tried using a thunderbolt 3 to ethernet adapter but that doesn't seem to work either (I only have thunderbolt 3 ports).

    Would be great if I could someone download a newer version of solus. How do I go about fixing this?

    ```

    $ nmcli device

    DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION

    wlp2s0 wifi unavialable --

    ```

    Thanks

    edit: I tried to format it :/

    submitted by /u/enilsen16
    [link] [comments]

    EFI-STUB / Systemd-boot - friendly Linux release?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 09:09 PM PDT

    Can you recommend a not-rolling but still fairly up-to-date ( e.g. like Fedora ) Linux distribution that can be easilly implemented to launch through EFI-STUB or systemd-boot?

    Currently refind seems to be broken and when I launch any Linux distro through GRUB on my laptop ( CSM only makes it worse ) my touchpad is annoyingly jittering and laggy

    submitted by /u/JelkyBelly
    [link] [comments]

    How can I install Linux into an extremely safe/encrypted partition?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 07:35 PM PDT

    Not sure if my question makes sense, but please bear with me.

    I'd like to install Arch Linux onto my laptop, I use an Acer Predator Helios 300

    It has an SSD of 256GB(effectively 126GB usable, but I don't intend to use this for the Linux partition) and a HDD of 1TB, of which I'm currently using 500GB and would like to partition 300GB out for the Linux partition.

    How can I go about creating the 300GB partition, making it as encrypted and secure as possible, and installing arch linux?

    submitted by /u/davemadgew
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about ditching OSX, how compatible are linux and my iPhone?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 07:25 PM PDT

    Don't want to use Android because Google privacy concerns, but like the interoperability between iOS and OSX, how much would I regret it?

    submitted by /u/logosophos
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel