• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, April 22, 2018

    Linux Linux Mint (18.3) doesn't recognise my 3.5 mm jack microphone.

    Linux Linux Mint (18.3) doesn't recognise my 3.5 mm jack microphone.


    Linux Mint (18.3) doesn't recognise my 3.5 mm jack microphone.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 07:13 AM PDT

    I only have one 3.5 mm jack on my laptop. On Windows a pop-up usually appears when I connect something in it where it asks me if I am using speakers, microphone or headphones.

    Do I need to install a software for it to work on Mint?

    Edit: This fix worked for a lot of people. Sadly not for me but I will keep it up for people Googling in the future.

    submitted by /u/Most_Intriguing
    [link] [comments]

    What could be causing this black square on the corner and how do I remove it? (Details on comment)

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 09:34 AM PDT

    Best Distro for gaming with AMD r9 390?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 11:50 AM PDT

    I am currently using linux mint and would prefer better graphics optimization.

    submitted by /u/adamlikessouls
    [link] [comments]

    Starting on Xubuntu?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 04:10 AM PDT

    I care about ease of use (for a current Win 10 user), light on hardware, trustworthy/safe distro, many available apps, most options (as possible) for gaming. Y/N?

    Edit: Laptop w/ dual-core i5 @ 2.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 'M', 8GB DDR3.

    submitted by /u/-seauxx-
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 17.10 does not wake up from suspend

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 11:52 AM PDT

    Hello there, this is my first post on reddit (yey). I have the following problem: If I suspend my computer and then press a key to wake it up, it does spin the fans, the motherboard lights up, keyboard and mouse light up too. However, the power led keeps flashing and the screen says 'no signal'. If I use windows it wakes up just fine.

    my system: Ubuntu 17.10 on 4.16.3-041603-generic Ryzen 7 1700X on ASUS Prime X370 AMD RX480 on Mesa 17.2.8 Gnome 3.26.2

    I was able to suspend and wake up just fine with this exact hardware in the past. I suspect its the GPU, but I have no idea how to proof or fix that. any ideas where to start?

    submitted by /u/rapsoft
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop won't load - Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 01:40 PM PDT

    I think I may have fucked up. I am installing Linux Mint onto a new laptop through a usb. I believe it was successfully installed and I am installing additional software. I restarted the system after some installations were completed and my desktop will not load. It is stuck in a black screen with text in the upper corner:

    Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia tty1

    login:

    I am able to login here and I get text as I would in the terminal. I am stuck after this. Using an asus vivobook S intel i7. I don't know much about Linux and so please explain simply.

    any help greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/duhqsoop
    [link] [comments]

    Password + Fingerprint PAM config

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 11:20 AM PDT

    I would like to have the following setup. When ever auth is required via PAM the finger print sensor should be used. Additionally PAM should ask for the password but only if it is more than say five minutes ago I entered it the last time. Is this possible?

    submitted by /u/Desmulator
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 and Ubuntu won't Dual-Boot.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 05:06 AM PDT

    So I am trying to dual-boot ubuntu and windows 10 but i am not successful.I tried using this youtube video.I followed every step but it won't show me the grub menu.I have 2 HDD's and 1 SSD.On 1 HDD is for Windows files(games) and the other HDD is for the Linux files(I previously installed Debian but now i want to make Dual-Boot work and have that HDD for the home folder).Windows 10 is installed on the SSD and i made space (as shown in the video) to install Ubuntu on it.If i want to boot into W10 i simply have to choose "Windows Boot Manager" and set it as the first "Boot Priority".Now the problem is that if i boot from the ACTUALL SSD where also Ubuntu is installed (not "Windows Boot Manager") it won't Boot.The strange thing is if i boot into my 1 HDD that Debian was previously was installed it will boot into Ubuntu but will not show the grub menu(The previous files from Debian as still there though).I have no clue what i have done wrong.I can provide pictures of the partitions if needed.

    submitted by /u/garden2231
    [link] [comments]

    Food expiration/Inventory app?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 08:04 AM PDT

    Looking for an open source linux or android app that manages food expiration dates (number of items, notifications).

    Also inventory app (for tracking items I posess).

    Or any advice how to do all that any other way if there aren't any dedicated apps.

    submitted by /u/ivanrancic
    [link] [comments]

    Manjaro, can't seem to figure out jar files

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    My partner got me onto Manjaro, and at the same time we decided to start playing Minecraft together. He figured out how to run Minecraft through the command line Terminal thing via "java -jar". That works fine, thankfully.

    But now I'm trying to install mods for minecraft, and need Forge. I tried using the same "java -jar" command like I do with Minecraft, but it says "Error: Unable to access jarfile forge-installer.jar"

    At first I thought it was because the original jarfile name had periods in it, so I renamed the file and it's still not working. Though the command works for Minecraft still.

    What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/TheDumplinPrincess
    [link] [comments]

    Could you run the newest version of Tails on a crappy laptop with no Hard drive but a lot of RAM?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    How well does Linux handle newer monitors?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 03:22 AM PDT

    Hi Linux peeps :)

    I'm looking to upgrade my old 1080p monitor to a new expensive one, but I'm kinda scared that Linux drivers wont be able to handle it. Right now I'm looking at this screen from Asus: Link.

    Can Nvidia drivers for linux handle high resolution and framerate without tearing? Should I wait for better drivers before upgrading my current monitor? Thank you for your advice :)

    submitted by /u/kimyeti
    [link] [comments]

    Incorrect font size on boot, openSUSE xfce

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:58 AM PDT

    Whenever I reboot my pc the font size is abnormally large. I'll log in, go to the appearance page in settings, change it from size 12 to something else, hit apply, then change it back and all is fine. But on boot the font size in the settings is 12 but far far larger. Any ideas what could be causing it or how I could muddle a fix together?

    submitted by /u/JustAFatYeti
    [link] [comments]

    Getting Real GNOME Back in Ubuntu 18.04 [Quick Tip]

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:57 PM PDT

    Is the Linux Community Open To New Users? @Mostly_Linux podcast episode b0.04 has landed.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 08:09 AM PDT

    @Mostly_Linux on #Mostly_Gaming Beta Episode 0.04 Has Landed!

    We're covering the gaming and Linux news from the week, announcing Tower of Time as our next Giveaway (woohoo!) and ask "Is the Linux Community Open to New Users"?

    Banter

    • Ryan McCaffrey apologizes on behalf of the entire Xbox Community so we explore the impact of advertising on "gaming journalists";
    • What if Zelda was half as good as God of War? We explore the hype;
    • The Halo World Championships! Congratulations to Splyce! Too bad the head honchos at Xbox weren't watching ;)

    Games

    • New content lands for Hollow Knight
    • Underworld Ascendant Preview
    • Maelstrom enters early access - coming to Linux soon

    Giveaway

    • Tower of Time! Five codes going out this week. We'll post contest details to this sub.

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/617480/Tower_of_Time

    Weekly Topic

    Is the Linux Community open enough to new users?

    Podcast Website

    Twitch

    YouTube

    Twitter

    submitted by /u/adamacuo
    [link] [comments]

    Can not reach the loggin page, boot failed ! (VirtualBox Machine)

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 04:53 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I don't know if I am on the right sub (and if not, sorry 'bout that post), but I have a boot issue and I really need some help.

    I have a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed on a VB Machine, and recently I've got out of free space (like, really 0 Mo). Since then, my Ubuntu VM doesn't boot anymore, and I am stuck on the Ubuntu loading screen. So I added more space to my VM, used an Ubuntu Image to make it grown (using gparted) and reboot my original VM, with more space.

    Same problem. When I try to see the system logs on boot, I got this:

    [ FAILED ] Failed to start Login Service

    [ FAILED ] Failed to start Accounts Service

    [ FAILED ] Failed to start Modem Manager

    [ FAILED ] Failed to start Network Manager

    [ DEPEND ] Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online

    And it get stuck. Does anyone have an idea about what I could try to fix this ?

    Many thanks !

    submitted by /u/PeroKetStory
    [link] [comments]

    PDF Editor For Ubuntu?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:09 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm in need of a PDF Editor for Ubuntu. I just need it to be able to write text on PDFs (not annotations) so that the file and text can be viewable on any device (like my phone)

    Are there any solutions available, preferably open source?

    Edit: Thank you for your comments everyone! LibreOffice Draw can do exactly what I want, and then you just export as a PDF. Wonderful!

    submitted by /u/WeirdPneumaticCheese
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu LTS not shuting down correctly

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 10:35 PM PDT

    Whenever I try to shutdown my laptop it freezes and I have to manually turn it off with the power button. I have tried shutting down using the console using sudo shutdown , but it does the samething and just freezes. How do I fix this issue?

    submitted by /u/ThatOneDoorFrame
    [link] [comments]

    Internet Slow After Booting Up

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 03:34 AM PDT

    Hi there whenever I boot my Linux Mint 18.3 machine the internet is just extremely slow it can't resolve any hosts or whatever. I have to disconnect my wired connection in the down right corner by clicking on the "Wired" thing in order for it to start? Could someone have an idea about this...

    submitted by /u/adnansapcanin
    [link] [comments]

    Old computer with new hdd stuck on “loading operating system...”

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:27 PM PDT

    Hi I recently found my old computer I built from around 2012. I got a new hard drive in 2018 and I'm trying to use it with Debian but when I made a usb bootable and try to load the operating system it is stuck on "Loading operating System..." my mother board is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. I also tried this with Ubuntu and had the same issue

    submitted by /u/ieattheass
    [link] [comments]

    How do I completely reset Ubuntu 18.04 to stock gnome?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:04 AM PDT

    I can't find any guides that don't miss several things with the dock.

    submitted by /u/MockingBird421
    [link] [comments]

    PC unable to recognize USB drives in any way.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 09:21 PM PDT

    I'm currently running Antergos on my HP Spectre and recently my computer has just stopped recognizing USB flash drives. Anything else I put into the USB ports (charging cables, wireless mice, wired mice, etc.) are all recognized and work just fine, but none of my USB flash drives do. I have two flash drives which I tested in both the USB-A port and I also used an adapter to connect them to the USB-C ports but there's no recognition at all. It doesn't give me any notification that a drive is plugged in, nothing shows up in Gparted or disk manager, and when I try to boot from the drives, nothing shows up in the f9 menu. The drives also work fine on other computers. USB boot is enabled and secure boot is disabled. Honestly, this most likely has nothing to do with Antergos or linux, but everywhere else I've asked I haven't gotten a response, so I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Batbat_
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone had luck with the Realtek ALC298 audio driver?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:07 PM PDT

    I just recently installed Ubuntu Gnome on my Galaxy book 10 and everything about it is perfect and worked out of the box. (Except networking but that was an easy fix) The only problem that persists is the lack of audio output.

    The sound card it uses is the Realtek ALC298 and was just wondering if anyone has had any luck making it work. If not then I will likely create a github page attempting to reverse engineer the windows driver.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/very_large_bird
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel