• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, April 20, 2018

    Linux Diving back to Linux (Suggestions)

    Linux Diving back to Linux (Suggestions)


    Diving back to Linux (Suggestions)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 07:42 AM PDT

    I am tired of windows now and want to switch back to Linux . I've used Ubuntu few years back and was alright with it . But i read that ubuntu is preinstalled with spyware and they have some partnership with amazon . so any suggestions for the best distro right now?. I've read that arch linux is good but it's too complicated for beginners . i'm gonna mostly use the distro for programming .

    submitted by /u/Brkoushik99
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for ways to gather all dependencies for Python code.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 06:32 AM PDT

    I've been writing programs for computers with no internet connection for a few years now and the biggest challenge is packaging all dependencies for an install. I concentrate on Ubuntu and I create a fresh VM, do apt-get clean then install all dependencies. I finally copy the apt/cache folder to an install directory and use dpkg in my install script. It works great for most machines but occasionally something doesn't work right. I Google it every time and have tried many things but nothing seems to be all inclusive. Is there a standard for this process?

    submitted by /u/saulmessedupman
    [link] [comments]

    How can I run linux from a pendrive on Win 10 laptop?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    Hello, I am a noob.

    And by the way, what would be the best linux to use like that? Ubuntu?

    submitted by /u/NiMPeNN
    [link] [comments]

    Good distro for noob user with touchscreen support

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:49 AM PDT

    My girlfriend was frustrated with her Windows experience, so she asked me to install her Linux. I chose Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome, because I heard it has good touchscreen support. Past couple days have been really frustrating because every now and then she comes across something that doesn't work or works very differently from Windows, gets frustrated very easily and I spend a lot of time explaining, fixing and setting up stuff.

    My question is, is there any better option? Any distro + de combo, that works well with touchscreen, is as windows like as possible and will run smooth on older Lenovo yoga 300 laptop?

    We came across a lot of problems and from this experience I have a strong feeling that Linux is not as noob friendly as it may seem.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    EDIT: Please help, or I will have to put windows back on :D

    submitted by /u/dotsirup
    [link] [comments]

    Laptops - is NFC coupled with the WiFi/Bluetooth chip?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 06:32 AM PDT

    Just curious where the NFC chip is usually found on laptops. I feel like it must be coupled with the WiFi/Bluetooth chip but I could also see it being soldered right at the edge of the mobo as a stand alone to more conveniently make contact with NFC compatible devices.

    Anyone know if these are chipped out as stand alones like that maybe, or if they are actually coupled with the WiFi/Bluetooth chips normally?

    I'm not sure where to post hardware specific questions. I'm hoping this sub is okay since I'm a baby penguin.

    submitted by /u/rootaspirations
    [link] [comments]

    GoToAssist Alternative

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:59 AM PDT

    Hey all

    So I've convinced my boss to buy me a new workstation and we've decided to ditch windows and move to Linux full time. However there is one fly in the ointment - we provide technical support to our customers and have been happily using GoToAssist the last 18 months. No GoToAssist for Linux :(

    Anyone have any recommendations on a decent alternative?

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/SlaytanicDittohead
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to use osdlyrics with cmus?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:47 AM PDT

    osdlyrics doesn't support cmus officially but as I prefer cmus, so wanted to know if it was possible.

    submitted by /u/iDrDonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Can I go back to the GRUB of the other OS?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:39 AM PDT

    Hello, I have two partitions in my laptop and I've been changing distros in both becuase I want to try some of them, and everytime I installed a new one, it changed the desing of the GRUB to its own and I was okay with that until I installed Manjaro and found that the design makes the GRUB so much slower than the others. Can I return to the previous design I had, the one from the other partition's OS (Solus)?

    submitted by /u/anakcj
    [link] [comments]

    Linux with virtual machines

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:58 PM PDT

    I'm conflicted by some of the limitations of using Linux and wondering if I could use virtual machines to remedy this.

    I want to use a predominately opensource system, mostly for security reasons, but I also want to be able to use various closed-source software here and there. I'm thinking of running a regular opensource system (OpenSUSE), and then run a virtual machine within OpenSUSE of some linux distribution that has proprietary code on it. That way, I can still run things like Discord, but the code and everything will be separate from my secure opensource machine, and if something goes bad with the closed source VM I can just easily dump it. I might even do webbrowsing with things like Java Script turned on within the VM, so that Java Script would be unable to compromise my secure system.

    I then want to game. I'm interested in trying Wine, but I'm under the impression that won't always work. When I had my mac, I used to run a VM of Windows XP, that I could also dualboot into; is this sort of software ability available to Linux? It was very useful. I figure not all of my games, or Windows things that I'd want to run needs to be dual booted into, but if I'm going to do heavy resource demanding gaming then being able to dual boot into Windows alone would be useful.

    Dualbooting is bit cumbersome though. Part of me wants to run perhaps multiple Windows set ups. One, a modern Windows OS with online capabilities, in case I need a Windows system to connect to the internet (say, to play an online game with someone). Two, a modern Windows OS that does not have the ability to connect to the internet. This would be my most used Windows OS; I don't feel comfortable using Windows OS that has internet capabilities so wish to keep such to a minimum. Then three, an older Windows OS for software compatibility with older games, maybe use XP.

    It'd be a little annoying to be playing my games on Windows, and then wanting to use a web browser to look something up, but be unable to do so without rebooting into Linux. I've read that if I buy the correct hardware (certain motherboards I believe and two GPU), I can run Windows inside a virtual machine inside Linux rather well, the idea is one GPU is piped into providing processing power for Linux, and the other GPU is piped into providing processing power for Windows. I'm wondering, could I do this using the AMD's 2400G CPU, use the Vega APU to power linux, and a dedicated GPU to power Windows?

    I'm just a bit unsure what's the best way to configure all this. I'm wanting to buy and build myself a computer and not really sure what's out there, what works well and what doesn't.

    submitted by /u/AlpacaKid
    [link] [comments]

    Help with details involving an install

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    So recently I've been trying to get a specific game to run. I've found a video that doesn't give a lot of instruction, the description reading as such:

    Use winetricks to install mf, wmp10, the d3d9 dll's, and .NET 4.5

    I have installed WINE, but that is the extent. I slao believe I installed winetricks itself(?), it was a while ago so I'm not really sure if I necessarily believe myself at the moment. Can anyone fill me in on what these are? I've tried to search it up but the results have been rather inconclusive. What are these and how do I install it?

    EDIT: Installed winetricks

    submitted by /u/Nocturn_Adrift
    [link] [comments]

    Install Two Java Runtimes?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:09 AM PDT

    I program stuff in Java so I have the JDK version 10 installed for those stuff, but I also play Minecraft from time to time, but Minecraft requires JRE (or JDK) version 8. I use Oracle JDK/JREs, so I can easily set the default but if I set the default to JRE 8, I can make Java programs but possibly have problems when I run them outside the IDE (but Minecraft runs well). If I set the default JRE to 10, I can make sure that my programs will run as expected even outside the IDE (but Minecraft won't run--yes, I tried, even on JRE 9--it really needs JRE 8).

    Does anyone has suggestions, or maybe you encountered this problem too and know of a fix?

    I meant, how do I make Minecraft use the JRE 8 while keeping the systemwide default to be JRE 10?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OrthographicCube
    [link] [comments]

    Can I download 18.04 daily build and update in six days?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:34 AM PDT

    Hi,

    In six days 18.04 is released. If I download Ubuntu server 18.04 daily build and install it, what command(s) would I enter to get it updated and registered(in search of a better term) as an Ubuntu 18.04 installed distro?

    Hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DaftPump
    [link] [comments]

    No sound output from speakers or headphone jack Ubuntu Gnome

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    Hello All,

    I just did a clean install of Ubuntu Gnome on my Galaxy Book 10. This device has a history of non-compliance in terms of audio and Linux but I thought I would try my hand at it.

    Currently there is no sound whatsoever even though my audio devices are recognized.

    Command: lshw | grep -B 3 -A 15 audio

    configuration: driver=intel_pmc_core latency=0 resources: irq:0 memory:df63c000-df63ffff *-multimedia:2 description: Multimedia audio controller product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 1f.3 bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3 version: 21 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=32 resources: irq:278 memory:df638000-df63bfff memory:df600000-df60ffff *-serial UNCLAIMED description: SMBus product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 1f.4 

    Furthermore I found out that the sound Codec that I need is the ALC298 from the command

    pacmd list-sinks 1 sink(s) available. * index: 0 name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo> driver: <module-alsa-card.c> flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY state: SUSPENDED suspend cause: IDLE priority: 9959 volume: front-left: 45876 / 70% / -9.29 dB, front-right: 45876 / 70% / -9.29 dB balance 0.00 base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB volume steps: 65537 muted: no current latency: 0.00 ms max request: 0 KiB max rewind: 0 KiB monitor source: 0 sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz channel map: front-left,front-right Stereo used by: 0 linked by: 0 configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 371.52 ms card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3> module: 6 properties: alsa.resolution_bits = "16" device.api = "alsa" device.class = "sound" alsa.class = "generic" alsa.subclass = "generic-mix" alsa.name = "ALC298 Analog" alsa.id = "ALC298 Analog" alsa.subdevice = "0" alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0" alsa.device = "0" alsa.card = "0" alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH" alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf638000 irq 278" alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel" device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1f.3" sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0" device.bus = "pci" device.vendor.id = "8086" device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation" device.product.id = "9d71" device.form_factor = "internal" device.string = "front:0" device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536" device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768" device.access_mode = "mmap+timer" device.profile.name = "analog-stereo" device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo" device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC298" alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0298,144dc150,00100103 HDA:8086280b,80860101,00100000" module-udev-detect.discovered = "1" device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci" ports: analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown) properties: device.icon_name = "audio-speakers" active port: <analog-output-speaker> 

    It also seems like this issue was patched a while ago in 2015 by Kailang Yang.

    I have also tried

    sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio && reboot 

    With no success.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    EDIT: I forgot to mention that Realtek seems to not officially support this device on their website.

    submitted by /u/very_large_bird
    [link] [comments]

    Audio issues with Genymotion/VirtualBox(?)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:58 AM PDT

    Whenever I up the volume in Genymotion to audible levels, I get this skip/stutter/distortion of it. Not sure if Virtualbox has something to do with it, so I'm pretty lost at what to do to solve it.

    OS: Ubuntu 16.04

    submitted by /u/Ina-ba
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my scrot not have the -u option?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:36 AM PDT

    I'm trying to use scrot to make screenshots. I want to have three different commands, one that makes a screenshot of the whole screens, one that lets me select an area and one that makes a screenshot of the current window.

    The first two worked with scrot with -m resp. -s.

    On the internet I found that using -u should make a screenshot of the focused window but when I try to do that it display the error scrot: invalid option -- 'u'.

    Do I need to install an additional dependency that that command works or is it because I maybe have an outdated version of scrot (it's version 0.8 from the fedora 27 repository)?

    submitted by /u/CH_SWB
    [link] [comments]

    Dual boot Win10 and Arch

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    So I recently installed Arch and i3, with help from this guide and LARBS, on my laptop for school work and I love it for the productivity and simplicity. Now I want to use the HDD in my home PC for productivity when I'm home and the SSD for gaming when I'm feeling like it.

    So I looked around a bit and found a guide that seems to follow the general idea of dual booting according to the arch wiki, but it looks easier to follow if you ask me.

    I'm thinking of following the second guide and pretty much just replace the install DE step with i3 installation. I have already followed the arch wiki guidelines regarding bios settings and windows 10 fast boot.

    Some info regarding my system:

    • SSD: (C:), 930GB, 90% ; EFI, 100MB, 100% ; Recovery, 500MB, 100%*
    • HDD: Currently completely unallocated ; 3 TB
    • CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231v3
    • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 980ti

    *Name, size, %free ; (according to Disk Management)

    So my question sort of summarize to;

    • Is my EFI partition large enough?
    • Does my intended approach seem solid?

    Do ask if I missed some information that you believe will be useful.

    submitted by /u/theF41_1_3N
    [link] [comments]

    Need to execute a program on startup

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 05:59 AM PDT

    I have a .elf file that needs to be executed on bootup in Linux Yocto. How should I do this?

    submitted by /u/kish_pierre
    [link] [comments]

    Scrolling in wavemon

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:24 AM PDT

    Hello and good morning my dear friends. Does anyone of you an idea, how to scroll in the wlan-scanner wavemon if you have the scanlist (F3) loaded? So neither the info(F1) nor the "help"(F8) brings any helpful content. For sure I tried the basics "arrow up" and "arrow down", "page up" and "page down" and for sure all of this with "Alt"pressed too.

    submitted by /u/xtristrix
    [link] [comments]

    grub or grub-efi-x86_64?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:08 AM PDT

    So I am reinstalling Arch and I want to install grub.

    I am installing it on a 64bit uefi system (not legacy), so do I install only one package or both?

    submitted by /u/GrayPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    Novation Launchkey MINI (MIDI controller) support in Linux?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    I've asked similar question here in the past, butI still haven't resolved my issue. I have a Novation Launchkey Mini MIDI controller that came bundled with ABLETON for Windows. I have swapped my OS to LINUX MINT, which ABLETON doesn't support. Should I run my ABLETON licensed version through WINE, or is there a similar digital audio workshop that supports the Novation Launchkey drivers/hardware? Any help would be great. My MIDI controller is just a really fancy paperweight at the moment and I would like to get back into production. Forgive me if this is a simple fix.

    submitted by /u/Larusso92
    [link] [comments]

    Is Geary e-mail client unsafe ?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:29 AM PDT

    I am new to Linux and tried Zorin OS . It has Geary e-mail client pre-installed , when I tried to login , i showed me error . Upon researching , i found that google flagged it as LESS SECURE app and blocked its access to my mails .

    So is Geary really less secure or I should give it a try ?

    submitted by /u/Glad_O_War
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking Help - Intel HD Graphics Woes

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:27 AM PDT

    I've got a Dell Inspirion 15 - 3552 that I bought last December as a "use and abuse" laptop for work and school. Thanks to some wonderful help I got last night, I've been able to install Fedora 27 and get linux installed properly on my system.

    I'm still having some problems regarding graphics on the new 4.13/4.15 kernels. Previously I had installed Linux Mint 18.2/3 and they were working well under the 4.10 kernel. After an update to kernel 4.13, I would only get a hard (no backlight) black screen.

    So I'm able to use Fedora 27 as long as I have a nomodeset kernel parameter. But my performance is just sucking slough water.

    I'm assuming this is some kind of interaction between the new kernels, the i915 drivers and my hardware. But frankly, I'm not sure where to start.

    Is this a common kind of issue? Do lots of people just live with nomodeset? Or is there a workaround like installing an old kernel or adjusting some driver settings?

    submitted by /u/1houradayyougit
    [link] [comments]

    SFTP - Seperate chrootdirectory for a single user

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:10 AM PDT

    I have a directory that looks like this:

    data - ftp - pub - project01 - project01 - customer - customer01 

    Generally speaking, I want users to land in /data/ftp and then they only have permissions to the specific project/customer directory they need access to. However, a supplier needs to progamatically access one of the project directories and they say their app can only access the root directory for the user they have.

    How would I go about rooting a specific user to /data/ftp/pub/project01, but have everyone else root to /data/ftp?

    submitted by /u/fishypoos
    [link] [comments]

    Archlinux - Errors while booting

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:56 AM PDT

    Hi, before i start I would like to tell you guys that I'm a total noob at arch linux. I have used other distros but I recently learned about arch linux and wanted to give it a try. I am loving it so far though most of the time I am searching google trying to solve problems lol.

    I installed arch using video guide by Average Linux User on youtube. After a lot of google searches i managed to solve most of the problems I was facing but there are a few errors that pop up while booting. I don't get what these are:

    https://i.redd.it/c0eqnqujy1t01.jpg

    Are these errors serious or I can ignore them ? If anyone help me solve these that would be awesome.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DeathEvader
    [link] [comments]

    Get AMD ROCm (OpenCL) 1.7+ dkms to work under Linux 4.15.x

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 11:33 PM PDT

    I added the repo and installed the packages like shown in https://rocm.github.io/install.html.
    clinfo shows no supported platforms.

    My user is is in the video group, too.

    Is there anything else I need to install?
    Do I need to downgrade to an older kernel?

    submitted by /u/GuessWhat_InTheButt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel