• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, April 20, 2018

    Laptops Widescreen laptops are dumb [The Verge]

    Laptops Widescreen laptops are dumb [The Verge]


    Widescreen laptops are dumb [The Verge]

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:13 AM PDT

    Did I make the right choice? (HP Spectre)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:01 AM PDT

    I recently purchased an HP Spectre from Best Buy. This model to be exact https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-dark-ash-silver/6082118.p?skuId=6082118

    It was ~1400 with tax. I was wondering if there is something better for this price range. I would need it for word processing, light gaming (Civ, Fortnite, Battlefield) I'm a student so the battery life was a feature that attracted me. But I'm just wondering if there's a more bang for my buck laptop out there. I have 15 days to return this laptop if I'm not in love with it or if there's something better out there.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/J_Sano
    [link] [comments]

    Best Laptop Brands of 2018 - Ratings and Report Cards

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:54 AM PDT

    Looking for great laptops for graphic design/grad school/work

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    Hi there!

    I'm pursuing my MA and I also happen to be working in digital marketing. My job requires me to use Adobe Photoshop a lot, and I'm planning to learn Illustrator. I also used to play LOTRO (The Lord of the Rings Online) and other games as well. Aside from these, I also use Audacity to produce and render tracks for songs for my band. So as you can see, I use my PC quite a lot.

    I bought my laptop 2 years ago and I find that it's been failing me now. It's a Dell Inspiron 14. Unfortunately, I had to use web versions of Slack, Viber, Skype, (for work) and even Spotify.

    Any good recommendations? There's a gadget sale coming up from the 26th to the 28th.

    If I can't find these laptops, what should I be looking for in a laptop as well?

    Thank you and have a great weekend!

    Edited: My budget is roughly around $700-800!

    submitted by /u/miss-septimus
    [link] [comments]

    Specifically for Gaming, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and photoshop. What's better? A laptop with i5 7300HQ and 3gb 1060 of a laptop with i7 7700HQ and 4gb 1050Ti?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:59 AM PDT

    For gaming, it'll pretty much be Fortnite only (so I can crossplay with my friends on console).

    submitted by /u/Shredded7
    [link] [comments]

    Acer Spin 7- best fanless laptop for this screen size?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:18 PM PDT

    Thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-LPDDR3-Windows-Convertible-SP714-51-M4YD/dp/B01LWZ7JNW

    I was looking for a fanless laptop, but there don't seem to be many in the screen size I wanted (at least 14"). After doing some research, this looks like the best option right now. Is there any other laptop I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/darklink37
    [link] [comments]

    Fresh Installing Windows on New Dell Laptop

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    Hello, I will soon be purchasing a dell xps 13. When I get the laptop I plan on fresh installing windows. After fresh installing windows I plan to reinstall the drivers. Could someone please help me figure out which of these drivers are important and which (if any), are uneccessary or bloatware? Thank You. Link to drivers download: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9370-laptop/drivers

    submitted by /u/online_cesspool
    [link] [comments]

    Is It A Good Idea To Cover Your Laptop Webcam?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:39 AM PDT

    Looking for laptop for basic use as well as compatibility with Photoshop

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:35 PM PDT

    I'm very new and unfamiliar to the computer world, so I need a little help. Looking for a laptop that can comfortably run PS. Though I'm pretty low on funds, I'm trying to spend max $500 if possible.

    Right now I'm looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad 320. Based on my research, it seems to have all the basic requirements, but again, I'm fairly ill-informed when it comes to computers.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B48T4NS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A25B98I73HOXH9&psc=1#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1524254404725

    Would this be a fair choice? If not, can anyone suggest something near my price range that can get the job done?

    submitted by /u/ASadSpleep
    [link] [comments]

    XPS 15 2in1 vs laptop and release date

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:54 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm currently debating between the new XPS 15 and Aero 15x. However I just wanted some clarity on XPS 15 release date. Originally I read 16th April... But it's still not available. Spoke to Dell customer service and they said they can't provide me a date. Do we know when it's coming out?

    Second question is what are the main differences between the 2in1 and the standard. Are all the specs the same apart from you can upgrade the 2in1?

    Finally my main usages are CAD, a lot of intensive multitasking and complex spreadsheet computations required the laptop to be on for long periods of time. As well as the usual Web surfing, 4k video streaming etc. Regarding gaming, I don't game very often, but I'd like to have the option but I mainly game on my ps4. Is it worth going for the aero just for this option due to it having a 1060/70 as opposed to 1050i?

    Edit: I also wanted to know if the i9 option on the xps would be a worthwhile upgrade?

    submitted by /u/junglemafia123
    [link] [comments]

    17.3 UHD i7-850h ~2500e

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:45 PM PDT

    I am looking for laptop with specs from title + this also being important: - fast SSD - quiet - good cooling - good keyboard

    There aren't many options yet.. I know only of alienware, msi, schenker. MSI is most expensive, for schenker I'm worried it will be loud and alienware (17 R5) seems like the best pick for ~2300€. I can't order it in my country but I could to german adress. I definitely don't feel comfortable giving so much for laptop ( for last one that I still use I gave half that) but I will use it for work and plan to use it for 4+ years (I have this one already 4y+). Laptop will be on most of the day and some nights also (running some sims). I work with database and run those seems so good cpu and fast ssd are important schenker is ~2000e, MSI 2700+

    What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/juuhuu
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop temperature - 50/60 c. too hot?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:21 PM PDT

    I have a Dell xps 13 9360 laptop and I have a question about the temperature. While streaming videos the temperature fluctuates between 50-60 celcius. I know it isn't really hot at all, but will using it continuous at that temp. for several hours daily pose any threat to compnents? I can binge watch for 4+ hours and with an almost constant 50-60c. I keep my laptop on a table or flat surface and room temp. never exceeds 25c.

    submitted by /u/anton12345qa
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at buying the Acer Swift 3. Any other laptops I should consider?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    Hi all! I have found this sub to be extremely helpful in my laptop search. Currently, I am looking to upgrade from my 5 year old laptop. Things that I am looking for in a laptop are:

    • Costs $1000 or less.
    • Portability - I plan on living overseas for a couple of years and traveling, so I don't want a laptop to be too much of a burden.
    • Casual Gaming - I just want a laptop that can play most games decently. I don't need 4k or 60fps; I just don't want it to lag and be uncomfortably slow.
    • Handle day-to-day web browsing and tasks as well.

    I am currently looking at buying the Acer Swift 3. Specifically this [one](Acer Swift 3, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 14" Full HD, 8GB LPDDR3, 256GB SSD, SF314-52G-55WQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746P25QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gFJ2Ab257ZSFP).

    If there is another laptop you would recommend instead of this, please let me know! Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/grandmastermane
    [link] [comments]

    What dock for HP Spectre x360 15 inch.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I picked up a new laptop recently, and I am looking to purchase a dock for the laptop with a thunderbolt USB-C port. I currently am in the need for at minimum two to three USB-A ports, one HDMI port for a 4K monitor, and an audio plug.

    I may eventually expand to a second monitor.

    submitted by /u/n67
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a good laptop at a decent price

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 10:47 PM PDT

    I was wanting to build a desktop but I've recently decided I wanted something more mobile. I want a laptop that can run games like rimworld, Minecraft and maybe skyrim if possible. I also want to have it for other normal computer stuff like video streaming and browsing websites. I don't really want to spend over 800$ if possible.

    submitted by /u/Digwater
    [link] [comments]

    How is this? I am thinking of getting it, is there any better value alternatives?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    Should i get gigabyte aero 15x In 6 months?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:15 AM PDT

    I have been looking at computers like this and the aero 15x seemed like a good choice. The only thing is that there have been lots of issues with it on this subreddit. Do you think that most software related issues will be fixed by then? As for hardware, I think I should be fine as long as it isn't too severe. I will not use the webcam so I do not care about that. As for cooling, I am planning on using some kryonaught(I hope I spelled that correctly) on both the CPU and GPU and maybe have a laptop cooler for home usage(I probably will not be gaming at school for obvious reasons). Screen bleeding was an issue on one of my old laptops, and I got used to it so it isn't really a big deal to me. I get dead pixel warranty. And finally, I plan on getting a clean OS install so no bloatware. After all of those things I plan on doing, would it still be worth it to get it in a few months? And what are some other issues you guys have experienced?

    submitted by /u/4hobbies
    [link] [comments]

    Hey Reddit: how many laptops have you had?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:14 PM PDT

    Thinking about buying a new laptop the other day, I stopped for a second to think about all the ones I've had so far over this years, so here's a listing of mine. Go ahead and share yours!

    • Compaq Presario F564LA Got it as a birthday gift and lasted for 5 years until an electric discharge fried the motherboard. It was an ok-ish laptop but nothing too fancy.

    • Packard Bell EasyNote NJ-65 AU-101 CL Also got it as a birthday gift. Again, nothing too fancy but it did it's job well. Had it for 3 years before I sold it to my sister's BF at that time.

    • HP Pavilion G4-2082la First one I bought with my own money. Not the one I truly wanted at that time (I was pinning for a Samsung one) but in retrospective, I'm glad I got this one. Currently running as a dedicated "SETI@Home" machine after getting an upgrade to both RAM and SSD. Has served me well for 5 years.

    • HP Pavilion 15 p006la Current main machine. Salvaged from the scrap pile at my last work and after a few words with my supervisor, was able to take it back home. Just needed some cleaning and upgrading to an SSD and the RAM to make it more useful. Not a gaming machine at all, but it runs older games quite decently.

    Just for the record: No, no Macs on my list. Why? They are so freaking expensive where I live (southern Chile) and support for them, unless you live in Santiago, it's almost non-existent. Now days, it's a bit more easy to find people qualified to work on them, but most of the time, they end up sending your laptop to an "authorized re-seller" which also doubles as tech support (since there's no Official Apple Store down here)

    So, how about you, Reddit?

    submitted by /u/CasioMaker
    [link] [comments]

    What operating system should I use for a server?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 07:28 AM PDT

    I'm currently using a old Lenovo Think Pad 10s(?) (originally had Windows XP but now using Ubuntu Mate), and I am thinking about using it as a server but not entirely sure what operating system is best for the job. Primarily, I want it to be able to transfer files between several computers but mostly to stream video files I got from the Internet.

    I had some experience about 10 years back with a Windows Server but since then I haven't touched a server. I currently own Windows Home Server 2008 but never got around to installing it, though I've heard it's quite good and easy to use.

    So my question is this; what's a easy to set up and usable server would you recommend and why.

    submitted by /u/Maora234
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good computer and deal?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 09:31 PM PDT

    I am interested in a refurbished 2014 Lenovo for $299 from a user who sells refurbished computers and has a 99.9 percent seller rating on ebay.

    It is the Lenovo Thinkpad T440 with Core i7-4600U, 8 gb, 500 gb HD.

    Is it a good computer & deal with good specs?

    Also, it says that it is 2.70GHz in the processor speed but then in another area info says only 2.1 to 2.69 GHz speed. In another area, says 2.70GHz 4M Cache to 3.30Ghz. What does this all mean? so is this computer 2.1 to 2.69, is it 2.7? or is it 2.7 all the way over 3.30???

    Sorry I don' t know that much about computers and speeds. Is it not fast then?

    I only need it for school note taking and homework, email and messengers like Skype, listening to music, Netflix and youtube, net browsing, reading, pics, also video editing. I am not a gamer so I don't need it for that purpose.

    Before I had a macbook pro from 2011 until now. It died and I decided to try something new.

    thanks in advance for answers and help!

    submitted by /u/monakarmen
    [link] [comments]

    What's available for top tier "2 in 1" if I'm more concerned about power and ports than form factor?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    The Dell XPS's do look awesome but I want something more akin to a powerful laptop that includes a touch screen.

    I don't care about thin, I want plenty of ports, power and a full keyboard with num pad.

    submitted by /u/evilblackdog
    [link] [comments]

    Sooo... I fucked up

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:34 PM PDT

    I spilled garlic butter on the keyboard. Can I wash the keys? Also, is there any chance it got into the hardware?

    submitted by /u/kat5kind
    [link] [comments]

    [General Question] the best laptop for software development ($1500 budget)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:30 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I am a software developer, and I had a 2014 Macbook pro, i7, 16Gb ram and 256SSD which recently died so I need a new laptop. My budget is $1500 and Tbh I want a laptop that is either 14 or 15 inchs, with i7 Quad Core and SSD.

    Obviously the new Macbooks are way out of my price range with those specs, plus I don't like the touch bars so I am looking at Lenovo or Dell computers (I am avoiding XPS because of the coil whine problem). I thought about Lenovo T470p with the follow specs:

    Processor : Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz) Display : 14.0 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Touch Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB GDRR5 Pointing Device : Fingerprint Reader First Hard Drive : 256 GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 - Capable Battery : ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cylindrical Rear

    What do you think? Do you guys have other recommendation?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/agtblackbullet
    [link] [comments]

    Best value for money between 3 models - or its out of the list?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:56 AM PDT

    What would you choose? The make is Xiaomi, the same, the form is the same, etc. Difference is 1. I5 8250u 8gb ram 256ssd 15,6" ips mx150 $900 2. I7 8550u 8gb ram 256ssd 15,6" ips mx150 $1030 3. I7 8550u 16gb ram 256ssd 15,6" ips mx150 $1350 Interesting fact that sometimes i5 a bit faster. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Mi-Notebook-Pro-i7-8550U-Laptop-Review.282620.0.html

    Pls help - what model to choose. Web and android dev, some low level gaming, avg battery life.

    Appreciate your feedback!

    submitted by /u/PlasticUnicorn
    [link] [comments]

    i want to know if my lenovo supports more than 12gb of ram

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:52 AM PDT

    it is an the model is an 80sv and the name is a Lenovo ideapad 510 with an i5 and 12 GB of ram i am scared to mess around with to much and know that an ssd is a good idea i just want to know if i can put in any more than 12 and if i can the recommendations of what to buy thanks in advanced

    submitted by /u/Skript_Kiddie
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel