• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, April 18, 2018

    IT Career [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread

    IT Career [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread


    [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 01:14 AM PDT

    Not every question needs a backstory or long explanation but it is still a question that you would like answered. This is weekly thread is setup to allow a chance for people to ask general questions that they may not feel is worthy of a full post to the sub.

    Examples:

    • What is the job market like in Birmingham, AL?
    • Should I wear socks with sandals on an interview?
    • Should I sign up for Networking 101 or Programming 101 next semester?

    Please keep things civil and constructive!

    MOD NOTE: This will be a weekly post on every Wednesday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is not having the paper of a Bachelor diploma a real disadvantage?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 05:57 AM PDT

    Currently I am pursuing a Bachelor in IT, I'm 25 years old. I have followed all the courses and succeeded them all BUT because the score of one course is pending I can not start my internship (required) this academic year.

    This means that I have to start my official internship in September and graduate in December. I have the possibility to start a job in IT in September with the same pay and extras of someone who has a bachelor diploma. But if I do this I will not finish my bachelor and won't get the diploma, but I do have all the experience of someone who does (courses + non university internship).

    I really want to start working and earn so I can move to a next chapter in life. But is this a wise decision or will I be in a disadvantage later in life just because I don't have the paper saying 'graduated'?

    submitted by /u/Hitmax
    [link] [comments]

    Should I go to college?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 12:31 AM PDT

    Hello, I am currently 21 years old, and I was wondering if I should go to College to get a degree in Networking or should I get my A+ and Network Certification and start working?

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/AresWarGod17
    [link] [comments]

    Career Change... when should I pull the trigger?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 05:13 AM PDT

    Hello all. I am looking to make a career change to IT, but I'm not really sure when the right time to make the move would be. I currently work as a sales estimator at a manufacturing place so a 100% unrelated field. However, I have wanted to do this for a few years now so in 2012 I started college. I recently finished up a BS in Computer Networking and Cybersecurity. In a few weeks I'll be taking my Network+ exam and I feel confident I will pass... if not I'll just retake until I do. After that I plan to get right into and completing Security+ as fast as possible. My dillema however is I make pretty good money where I'm at right now... I just hate the job. I have a wife and two kids and all the things that go with that like a mortgage, car payments ect. I wan't to make the change into IT as soon as possible, but I'm worried because many of the entry level jobs simply will not pay the bills for my household. If it were up to me I would quit my job today and go work at any given help desk to immediately start gaining experience, but I just don't have that ability to take that large of a paycut. The absolute bottom dollar I can go for and maintain my bills is about 45 thousand annually. My question is, in order to even make that somewhat remotely imaginable when should I make the jump? Should I start looking after my security+ or would it behoove me to do my CCNA first? I plan to complete a CCNA as well regardless. Like I said I have a steady job right now, so I'm in no means in a rush. If it could take up to 2 more years of preparation, I'm OK with that. I just wan't to put myself in a position of education/certification where its possible to make a salary high enough to sustain. Again, I'm not concerned with any dollar over what it takes to survive because I understand how important experience is. I live in Houston TX and from what I have herd, the IT market here is pretty hot. What would you do in my situation? Continue gathering certs or would you start looking for a job after having a degree, net+, and sec+? Any input would be very helpful. I have been preparing for this jump since like I said, 2012. Its now 2018 and I feel I'm close to the point, but I'm just nervous. I will note, I do understand how 'unimportant' a degree is in IT. Unfortunately I was already about 90 credits in before I got that memo so I figured I would finish it up anyways. That is why I'm pounding certifications now. Live and learn.

    submitted by /u/BluePieceOfPaper
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to get into IT. how do I figure out what area of IT is right for me?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:03 AM PDT

    Hi there, I'm 26 and 9 credits away from finishing my AS. I then plan on transferring to a university for my bachelor's. I don't have much experience in IT as of right now. I built my first pic a few years ago and it really sparked my interest in IT related things. I know that IT has very little to do with actual computer parts these days. I just found myself really enjoying learning about computers and how they work. I enjoy the problem solving that comes with computers. I've recently started to study for an A+ cert and find myself really enjoying learning about everything.

    I'm struggling to figure out what degree is right for me. I don't know what area of IT I am the most interested in.i don't even know how to eliminate areas that don't interest me. I don't know what career path is the best for for me. If I'm being honest, I know almost nothing about the IT field. I feel like the field is so broad and there are so many directions I could take. So I don't even know where to begin to figure what what my calling in IT is.

    Do you guys have any advice for me? How should I go about trying to figure out what area of IT is right for me? How learn about all the paths of IT and how do I go about elimating areas? How did you guys figure out what part of IT was right for you?

    submitted by /u/hawtwafflez
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring Managers advice wanted for transitioning vet

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 03:51 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have a few questions concerning employment coming out of the military. I'll be applying for Jr - regular Sysadmin positions. Background: I have 6 months until I'm out of the Marines and I have a family so I'm hoping to transition seamlessly. I'm also very close to a base with a lot of gov contractor opportunities so that's my first choice since is have a clearance.

    1. How far out should I be applying to jobs, gov or private sector? How far out would your company offer a transitioning vet a conditional offer?

    2. I'm currently not in the state I'd be applying at, but I already own my home and my family is back in that state. Do you think a company would be alright with just a skype interview, or would I need to fly in for an in-person interview?

    3. Do you think the process would be different for a gov role vs. a private role? Or would they both take about the same approach?

    Thanks for your time!

    submitted by /u/STLCardsfan11
    [link] [comments]

    First IT Job help

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:56 AM PDT

    I'm about to graduate in the Fall with the associates in Information Technology. I've been applying left and right, and I don't have any real world experience, but I have school experience. I took 4 years of PC support in high school, and taken many classes at community college. I've gotten a few call backs, but no real face to face interviews. I just don't know how to land my first IT job. I'd honestly work for free at this point, just to get experience. Is an associates degree worthless, did I waste $16k? If anybody could give me any tips or tricks, that'd be great. Thanks in advanced.

    submitted by /u/Rillsm
    [link] [comments]

    Question about references on resume

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:48 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I currently work in the IT industry in a IT Helpdesk position for a fortune 500 company. I love my current company and current position, but I need to progress out of the IT Helpdesk position. A job position has just come up for a Network Administrator position for a company I think I have a really good chance at getting. I have a University degree in IT, CCNA, IT experience, and all of that good stuff.

    So, my question is how do I go about applying for this position? Obviously, I don't want to list my current employer as my reference on my resume since I don't want them to know I am going for a position at a different company. I am almost certain that I would get a good recommendation from my current manager if he/she was asked about me. What is the standard thing to do when applying for a position at a different company without alerting your current employer? Do you just put references provided on request on your resume? Basically, I am concerned if I list my current employer as a reference, first of all I would have to ask them if it is okay to list them as a reference and second of all me asking to list them as a reference will alert them that I am going for a position at a different company. What is the standard thing to do?

    I would really appreciate some input on what the best practices are for applying to a position at a different company without alerting, angering, or annoying my current employer.

    submitted by /u/rudiger420
    [link] [comments]

    Should I accept this IT Security job?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Today I got an offer for Junior Endpoint Security Engineer. My question is should I accept the job role or wait for another security job to pop. Currently I am working as a Service Desk Engineer. I have CCENT and currently studying for ICND2, and Comptia Security+.

    Is this a good way to break into information security. Please compare the requirements for both junior and senior role, and please tell if this is a great skill set to obtain and learn.

    ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

    • Support Analyses and troubleshoot issues connected to Endpoint Security products – AV, DLP, Encryption, HIPS • Incident Management (ensuring all alerts, issues are accurately logged, reported and escalated appropriately) • Performs health-checks

    There is also a job offer for a Senior Endpoint Security Engineer from the same company and you can see the requriements.

    ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

    These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned. • Support Analyses and troubleshoot escalated issues from lower tier engineers, connected to Endpoint Security products – AV, DLP, Encryption, HIPS, etc. • Incident Management (ensuring all alerts/issues are accurately logged, reported and escalated appropriately) • Performs health-checks and audits on customers' security solutions. • Performs remote implementations/installations and post-installation tasks for different security solutions. • On-site consultancy jobs – requires travelling to customers in UK and Europe periodically. • Pre-sales jobs – advising and interacting with the end customer on security solutions • Administrating and maintaining customers' security products •Support of security solutions, product management, upgrades and reporting for both on-prem and cloud solutions •Recommends and implements security policies and procedures as a result of in depth research of potential harmful threats to the organization's IT infrastructure. •Provide coordination for security event detection, identification and resolution. •Develop technical security standards to support policies including assisting in creating and coordinating security monitoring standards and incident investigation procedures.

    submitted by /u/northmania
    [link] [comments]

    Question about certs-- work reimburses.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:59 PM PDT

    I got a job as a help desk tech recently. I have no certs or a degree. They reimburse for certs and have lots of growth opportunity that they hire from within for. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to stay on my path or move.

    According to my superiors, A+ is the preferred starting cert. I had decided to skip this cert previously, in favor of the CCENT and eventually CCNA due to my interest in the network side of things. I'm also interested in security and felt like mastering networking to a degree would benefit me once I transition into security.

    The reason I'm troubled is because there are positions often opening in the NOC for jr sys admin and jr network admin, plus some network op technician roles. I have only just recently started my help desk role and feel as though I need to stay put even though we're encouraged to apply due to desires to hire from within if possible.

    So, to those who've been in a similar situation OR to those who've had to choose between cert paths, what did you choose?

    I've basically had it in my mind that I want to be a Network Engineer one day so despite my current role, I'm going to study for my CCENT and CCNA and then after I've established myself in the HD for a year or two, start applying for those NOC openings. Is this the same wisdom as you guys? Skip the A+ (despite the reimbursement, save the time??) and focus on my future job? I feel as though the few months of studying I have already done in the past for A+ showed me that there isn't much of it that will benefit me on the Help Desk. Halp guise.

    submitted by /u/greenT_
    [link] [comments]

    How is IT in Florida?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:11 PM PDT

    Just wondering if it's a good enough degree to get a good job in Florida

    Edit: I am mainly talking about Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

    submitted by /u/masterstriker321
    [link] [comments]

    I.T. in Europe?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 01:36 AM PDT

    How is I.T. in Europe? Mainly; Paris, Italy, and Spain? I'm asking because I would love to live and work there in the future.

    submitted by /u/SilhouetteVisions
    [link] [comments]

    Applied for Data Center Administrator and got a call but don't have any related experience

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:00 AM PDT

    I have an A+ cert with some home experience(building PCs, troubleshooting issues) but no server related experience.

    I really want this job but I'm worried about the questions that will be asked during interview. Are there any data center admins that can give me advice?

    submitted by /u/Baston5
    [link] [comments]

    Salary Negotiation

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:53 AM PDT

    I have my second network analyst interview today and after the first one they wanted me to start thinking of a desired salary.

    Using glass door I found the national average for network analyst/junior network engineer is $59k-$63k a year. I admittedly don't have the education or certs, but I do have experience and have had a lot of encouragement and guidance from the network and security team.

    One of the network guys on hiring team came to talk with me at the end of the day a couple days back and told me some things they're probably going to ask, and gave me a book to do some studying with. He alluded to me having a decent shot, which was nice to hear.

    I have a JD, which obviously isn't exactly related to the position, but I'm wondering if that can still be used in my negotiation process. It is a doctorate degree and does bring some valuable analytical skills to the job.

    I've already had one great interview and hope today also goes well. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself. I kind of doubt pay will come up today, but I just want to start getting an idea of what to shoot for.

    At this point though my thinking is to ask $62k, and see what they counter with. I do live in an area with a high cost of living, but this is a mid size company that isn't necessarily known for giving large salaries to more junior level people.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MalfeasantMarmot
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a low level job in the IT world in highschool?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:28 AM PDT

    Is there anything that I can do to try to break into the IT field to start gaining experience? Would a computer repair shop hire a tech with no employment experience in IT? What do you think?

    submitted by /u/INTPhomo
    [link] [comments]

    IT careers?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 11:21 PM PDT

    I like technology...... a lot. I need an end goal to work toward. What are some career options that you all recommend I look into? I really need some help with this

    submitted by /u/M4STER_AC
    [link] [comments]

    IT Systems Analyst: Expanding Skills and Certifications?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:01 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I currently work as a Systems Analyst in IT. I am young, no kids or real obligations outside of work. While I am in this position for a few years, I really want to spend the time expanding my skill set and potentially gaining certifications (if that would help). I love my current job and I would say my job description matches the typical IT Systems Analyst description you can find on the internet, for the most part. My real question is asking you guys your opinions on what skill sets I could potentially gain or work on to enhance my future IT career possibilities. In the back of my head, I do want to get into Cyber Security at some point, but that would be down the road a bit. In the meantime, I did think getting some entry level certs would enhance my overall IT skills. My work is going to pay for pretty much all of them, so I figured I would take the A+, Net+, and Sec+ to start, then move into some higher level certs. What certs or skills would you gain if you were in my position?

    submitted by /u/chickenpunk1155
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on reverse transferring from 4 year to 2 year

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:54 AM PDT

    Greetings everyone! Hoping to get a little advice relating to early career/college.

    To keep this brief, I am currently 28 and have been in and out of school for the past 7 years. Never really went full time, so I am currently sitting around 70 earned credit hours towards a Management Information Systems degree. After transitioning into a full-time IT role about 4 years ago, I took a break from school but am now looking to finish up a degree.

    Currently, I work in desktop support for a Fortune 100 company. Love the company, and hope to stay here for quite a while, but I definitely want to finish my education not only to move up, but to guard against unexpected job changes.

    While I enjoy the MIS degree, due to being a history major for my first year or so I would actually need about 70 more credits to graduate. Right now, this is not exactly feasible due to cost and other matters.

    I am currently studying on my own for my CCNA, and have always been interested in networking, so I was taking a look at my local community college and realized if I transferred my classes from my 4 year program back into the community college, I could graduate with my associates in computer network administration after 6 classes. Not only is the community college a third of the cost of the 4 year school, but I would get a tangible degree much sooner than if I tried to plow my way through to the bachelors.

    Has anyone had any experience transferring from a four year school to a two year school to finish an associates? Also, does it seem like a smart idea for a desktop support guy to get a associates in networking/ccna for career growth vs plodding along for years until I get my Bachelors? Eventually I would like to finish my bachelors and move into security at some point, but right now I feel like I have been in school for a millennia, and I need to get some tangible... results.

    TLDR: Should I, a desktop support guy, transfer my credits back into a two year school to finish a degree in Network Administration?

    submitted by /u/PricklyPickle90
    [link] [comments]

    How do I apply for Help-desk Positions in MSPs in London

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:49 AM PDT

    Recent CS grad, with A+ and 3+ years of customer service experience in retail. Looking for an entry level Help-desk/It Support/Desktop Support job (London). I'm looking to work there and work my way eventually to Sysadmin. But now I want to just learn there since it's an easier way to get an IT job. Is there a website to apply for these MSP jobs.

    submitted by /u/coolredditguy1
    [link] [comments]

    How big of a risk is it to take ~2-3 years off at 26 years old and complete my computer engineering degree?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:35 AM PDT

    I am currently 26 years old. I have been in the IT field for 3 years now. Mainly doing helpdesk roles, not in a call center but working for 2 small companies.

    In January I left that job to start back in school and look to finish my computer engineering degree. At the time I thought it was the right decision and that a college degree in computer engineering would propel me to where I wanted to be a lot faster than staying in my current role for 3 years.

    I am nearing the end of my semester and I am really enjoying school and doing really well. But I am second-guessing myself on the decision to fully invest in school at the age I am now.

    I will be nearly 30 years old when I graduate and that scares me in the IT field. I feel like I will be looked at as ancient in the eyes of a lot of my potential employers and will be looked over for younger folk with the same degree.

    Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I have been blessed with an opportunity to graduate debt free from a respected engineering school (Clemson) but I want to make sure I am doing what is best for my career at this point in my life.

    Thanks for all your help.

    submitted by /u/HipHopIsAlive
    [link] [comments]

    How to apply for a job in a computer store at 15

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 06:03 AM PDT

    Is there anything I should put on my resume that most don't think about and any pointers

    submitted by /u/Alex-eshay-boi
    [link] [comments]

    Going to school right now with the degree of Management Information Systems, want to transfer to school with Information Technology Business Analysis concentration. Could I still become IT Project Manager?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:12 PM PDT

    So being an IT Project Manager is my dream job and I want to make sure I'm not transferring schools to get a degree I can't get a IT Project Manager job with. Please lmk as I can't find the answer anywhere.

    submitted by /u/homie307
    [link] [comments]

    London or Sweden? Which one to choose for Masters followed by job?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 04:16 AM PDT

    I need advice for my friend (24 Male) in India. He has 1 year of work experience in Embedded field and 1 year of work experience in Cyber Security. Now he has got an opportunity to study Cyber Security Masters in London as well as Embedded Systems and Design Masters in Sweden.

    But he is quite confused to decide the one to proceed since he is unsure about the job opportunity post his masters degree over there. Brexit in UK and high tax payment in Sweden are the ones that is delaying his decision since he needs to repay his loan for studies post masters.

    Does Brexit in UK, makes it difficult for Indians to get respected job with good package post their masters from reputed university in London?

    Also, is it possible to land in a job post his masters with considerable savings keeping in mind the high tax payment in Sweden?

    Your valuable suggestions are greatly helpful for my friend to decide his career. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/dheepika
    [link] [comments]

    What cert should I get after the Sec+? I work in the government sector and everyone loves certs there.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:43 PM PDT

    I currently have a help desk position that I really enjoy. I am just curious as to which certs I could get to continue to move up (specifically into a sysadmin role). I've been told that I'll move up after a year at my current company into the sysadmin role due to having a clearance and Sec+ but I got used to studying for the Sec+ and feel like I'm becoming stagnant without something to pursue. Any and all advice is welcome!

    submitted by /u/BungholeWillis
    [link] [comments]

    Hey can anyone look at these classes and determine what role in IT they prepare me for?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:51 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I've been thinking about my future for quite some time now and I know how there are different positions in IT like network, system admin, security, etc. I will most likely be attending this college and I am wondering if my future path won't be as bad as it is.

    Like you know how in some colleges you get to choose some classes to specialize in? Like here in the green boxes you select 2 out 5 areas to study.https://www.cis.fiu.edu/academics/programs/undergrad/itplan/

    However, in this college there really isn't that option and I am wondering what kind of path will these classes get me to. http://www.nova.edu/undergraduate/academics/forms/2016-2017-academic-plans/InformationTechnology%20BS%202017%20plan%20of%20study1.pdf

    Do these classes prepare me to be a network engineer or a security admin? Idk I have just been stressing out lately on what to do in the future. Also do these classes not have a huge effect on me as long as I take the specific certifications for that area? Like I can still take this college's classes but also focus on getting a CCNA and those type of network stuff? Please help a dude here I am just getting very tired thinking about this.

    submitted by /u/masterstriker321
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to move into Information Security, from a non-IT job, with no degree?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:59 PM PDT

    I have been an insurance adjuster for nearly 15 years. Most of it doing investigation into liability or fraud. In my personal time I like to learn about different aspects of IT. Several years ago I got an A+ cert, because I enjoyed building and fixing computers for friends.

    So my question...Should I get a degree or continue with entry level certifications? I'm currently working toward Security+ for now. But plan on more certifications after, if certifications only are a viable way to get into an entry level position.

    submitted by /u/7he5hamus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel