• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, April 21, 2018

    "I'm not going to get on my hands and knees, I went to college!" Tech Support

    "I'm not going to get on my hands and knees, I went to college!" Tech Support


    "I'm not going to get on my hands and knees, I went to college!"

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:10 AM PDT

    Tech: Thank you for calling XYZ Help Desk, can I have your employee ID number please?
    proceed to gather initial information
    User got a new computer yesterday, and its not connecting to the network, can't get on the Internet
    Tech: Does your computer connect wirelessly or with a wire.

    User: Umm...I'm not sure, wired I think.

    Tech: Is it a laptop or a desktop?

    User: A desktop.
    Company dekstops only connect with a wire

    Tech: Can you check to make sure the cable is plugged in to the computer?

    User: I'm sure it is. I don't need to check. You know, my last desktop burned up. The powersupply went bad and it caught fire.

    Tech: Sorry to hear that - did you get a new computer or is this the same computer?

    User: No, this is a completely new computer. It just doesn't want to connect to the network.

    Tech: Can you check to make sure the cable is plugged in?

    User: Well, the computer's set on the floor - I don't need to check it, I'm sure it's plugged in.

    Tech: We just need to verify the cable is plugged in, I couldn't find your computer on the network when I searched.

    User: Look, I went to college, OK. I didn't spend more than 4 years of my life to get down on my hands and knees, and crawl around to make sure a cable, that I'm sure is already plugged in, is plugged in.

    Tech: Can you please check - if it's not plugged in, or came loose, it will help in getting you connected.
    long pause

    User: audible sigh
    audible shuffling
    User: Oh, there is a blue cable on the floor. Is this the cable?

    Tech: I'm not sure about the color of the cable. Does it look like a phone jack on the end?

    User: I'm not sure - I don't know what a phone jack looks like.

    Tech: Is it a plastic square with a tab?

    User: No, it's a plastic square, but it has like a hook on it.

    Tech: Is there a place it can plug into in the back of your computer?

    User: I don't know.

    Tech: Can you look.

    User: audible sigh
    User: I'm going to put the phone down while I look.
    User: OK, I plugged it in.

    Tech: Can you check if you have network connectivity? Can you get on the Internet?

    User: Oh, yes, I'm online now. Why did the cable come out? It was working yesterday?

    Tech: I'm not sure why the cable came out, did you feel it snap into place when you put it in now?

    User: I don't remember. Anyway, I'm online now, so that's all that matters. Thank you.
    click

    submitted by /u/megamanxtc
    [link] [comments]

    "My .pdf files have turned into acrobats!"

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:14 PM PDT

    Long-time lurker, new poster here. Got a job a month ago or so at a small company and I finally get to post something.

    $me - Newbie helpdesk guy

    $user - user with acrobatic pdfs

    So as I was about to leave for the day, someone came into the queue. Looked at the ticket that had the post title as the description.

    $me: Something wrong with your .pdf files?

    $user: Yes, they have turned into acrobats. They were not acrobats before.

    Pretty easy to tell what the user wanted; they wanted to switch the default .pdf program from Acrobat to whatever they were using before. So I asked the user to save some time:

    $me: So what did you have before this?

    $user: I do not know.

    $me: Let's go ahead and check what can open your .pdfs on your computer.

    So I go through the default programs. Only Adobe Acrobat is a 'dedicated' PDF program. No problem, they must really like using a web browser as their .pdf browser. Or maybe they used Word? I set off to figure that out.

    $me: Alright. I set it to open on Word. Is this what you had before?

    $user: No. This isn't it.

    $me: Alright. Now Chrome. This it?

    $user: Nope.

    $me: Ah! Then it must be Edge over here then!

    $user: Nope. This isn't it either.

    Having gone through the list, I set it back to Acrobat seeing as that's the 'best' option for now until I figure out what they were using. I click open another .pdf file on their screen to verify that the default viewer was set to Adobe Acrobat.

    $user: There! That's the one! Thank you!

    User has disconnected

    submitted by /u/Rioleus
    [link] [comments]

    More from Aviation Maintenance: The Interview

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    A recent Ask Reddit topic about interviews that went badly reminded me of this little gem of a tale. At the end of the day, I don't blame my interviewers for their attitudes a bit, as had I known what I was about to walk into, I'd have Noped out of there as fast as I could. As it is, $PioneeringTechCompany sure has made some amazing advances and, if not for the wife and family I now have from staying here and at $AviationCompany, I'd have still jumped at the opportunity to work there…

    After getting out of the Army in the fall of 2009, I was able to last a whole 24 hours before reenlisting into my local National Guard—in part because I needed health insurance, and in part because I needed some sort of job. It took me another couple of months and many, many applications and resumes submitted before I landed a job at $AviationCompany, and even then it was just for an "Interior Support Mechanic" position—basically fixing things like seats, walls, lavatories and carpet for $12 an hour. It wasn't a great position, but it was a foot in the door. Patience paid off ten months later when I was hired into an actual Maintenance Technician position for our Intermediate Maintenance group.

    Of course, that doesn't change the fact that I'd been very busy, right up until I received the promotion, submitting my resume to various companies across the country…resumes I'd forgotten I'd sent.


    The call came in on a sunny May morning. The previous fall I'd finally gotten the surgery to fix my torn meniscus (30% removal) that I'd been running on for the entirety of my Army career and after a long heart-to-heart with my Sergeant Major had decided the best thing for my National Guard unit would be for me to not choose to re-enlist. Thus, that morning I had just arrived at the motorpool for their portion of the outprocessing checklist when my phone rang.

    Caller "Hello, this is $HRLady from $PioneeringTechCompany ($PTC from here on out). We have your resume on file and happen to have an opening in our Engine Manufacturing Group. Would you be interested in flying down to us for an interview?"

    ZeeWulf "Uh…Sure! Hi! Of course, I'd absolutely LOVE to come visit you guys!"

    We swiftly hammered out the details; they would be supplying me with a ticket on $SouthernHospitality airline, meal per diem and even a rental car and hotel room. Needless to say, I was excited to get an opportunity to interview with a company that's done some amazing and crazy stuff in the Aerospace industry—excited enough I was willing to entertain leaving $AviationCompany despite my promotion several months prior.

    The following week, I hopped on the provided flight, got the rental car (A Mazda 6—it was really, really sweet…) and proceeded to drive…and drive…and drive…and drive. Eventually I arrived in town and got directions to their facility which was still another fifteen minutes away. Being that I prefer to scope out where I'm going in advance, I took a drive on out to scout the site. As I approached, I knew I had found the place—there was an engine on a test stand and I could see the exhaust plume and feel the rumble as they tested it—it was a powerful monster of an engine, bigger than anything I'd worked on before.

    I giddily returned to my room and prepared for the interview, the rumble still vibrating in my bones.


    The next morning I arrived early on site. I had purchased some new steel-toed shoes so that I could take a promised tour of the facility's work floor and dressed as suggested—casual business of collared shirt and jeans. $HRLady greeted me at the door and led me back to a slightly cramped conference room in which I would spend the vast majority of the next few hours.

    She sat me down, asked the mandatory not-a-psycho questions and about why I wanted to work for $PTC. I explained to her my fascination with what they were doing and the excitement I had felt yesterday scouting and seeing the engine fire. The first hitch, however, was when she started asking questions about compensation.

    ZeeWulf "Well, I'd like somewhat comparable to what I'm making now, which is [a number of simoleans]."

    $HRLady "….I see. Is that a hard number?"

    ZeeWulf "I'm willing to talk…"

    $HRLady "Okay, great. But I'll run this by the leads anyway."

    She left the room and about ten minutes later, three very, very sour looking men entered.

    Bob1 "Hi, I'm Bob1, this is Bob2 and Bob3. We're the floor leads for the engine manufacturing side."

    ZeeWulf "Hi nice to me—"

    Bob2 "What do you know about high pressure hydraulic systems?"

    ZeeWulf "Well, what do you mean, what do you want to know?"

    Bob3 "It says here you've been working on engines in the Army, how can you possibly transfer any of that knowledge to what we're working on?"

    ZeeWulf "Well, in basic principles engines all do about the sa—"

    Again, another question, fired at me more than asked, followed by an answer attempt, followed by another question lobbed. As we continued to talk, I could tell these guys were getting angrier and angrier, but I couldn't figure out why. Finally, after an hour of pummeling me, they got up and left.

    I had never had such an awful interview in my life, and I couldn't understand why it had turned so hostile, so quickly.

    $HRLady eventually returned and sat back down, looking visibly uncomfortable.

    $HRLady "I just finished speaking with the managers, and they've told me the most they can offer is [one third of the simoleans you already make.]"

    ZeeWulf "I'm sorry? What? That's…that's not a lot."

    $HRLady "It's as much as the leads make, once you account for the 80 hour workweek. We have mandatory overtime."

    The penny dropped.

    ZeeWulf "You mean they….they…uh…wow."

    I sat in stunned silence for a minute. Here I was, some barely-thirty 'kid', fresh from the Army still, working for $AviationCompany and making more than they were already, asking for more than what they make with better hours. No wonder they hated me the moment they saw me.

    ZeeWulf "I..I should probably go."

    $HRLady "…Probably in our best interests to conclude this, yes."

    ZeeWulf "Probably, yeah."

    And with that, I left, no tour, nothing, drove back to the airport, flew home, and never bothered submitting for the per diem—I felt rather bad about wasting their time and they about wasting mine.

    As for those leads? I really, really hope all the work they've been putting in has paid off for them, because $PTC is real good at making the headlines now. They deserve it.

    Enjoy the stories? Here are the rest!

    submitted by /u/Zeewulfeh
    [link] [comments]

    Have you tried clicking "Ok"?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 05:00 PM PDT

    I'm working IT support for one department of our local university. Yesterday morning I get an e-mail from my $boss "Somebody needs to check the computer in the seminar room in $otherBuilding", before I got to the office.

    I get to the office, check the missed calls list on my phone, and call back the first number on the list. It's the $secretary of the institute in $otherBuilding, who tells me that they told my boss that $idiotProf told them that the computer in the seminar room crashed.

    So I walk over to the secretary's office, and go to the room with them. I move the mouse on the computer, screen lights up, kiosk user is logged in, everything seems to be working correctly. So I go to $idiotProf, who's in the computer lab next door, and ask them to briefly explain what happened.

    $idiotProf: "I started PowerPoint, opened my presentation and all of a sudden a thousand windows popped up. Then I told $otherProf about the problem and they did something and then there was something about updates. Then I went over to the computer lab to continue my lecture. You'll have to ask $otherProf what they did. Also please call me around noon and tell me what the problem was."

    So I tried to find $otherProf in their office but they weren't there. I went back to our office and tried to call $otherProf, who tells me the only thing they did was restart the computer.

    [Fast forward to noon]

    I call $idiotProf and explain to them that it should be working again. They tell me that when the* connect their flash drive the PC crashes. Concerned that their flash drive might be contaminated, I ask them to meet me at said computer in 10 minutes. As I arrive I let them show me exactly what they did.

    $idiotProf plugs in their flash drive, AutoPlay windows opens, they open their presentation, start it and lo and behold, a PowerPoint message window pops up: "Power Point has detected that your graphics card may not be configured properly...", with a single button "Ok". If you click that, the presentation works.

    tl;dr $idiotProf was so scared by cryptic PowerPoint message that they thought the computer had crashed. If they had clicked "Ok", everything would've worked fine. The way they chose caused five people in total 1h of pointless work and involved two calls and two on-site visits.

    submitted by /u/niemalsnever
    [link] [comments]

    The rules don't apply to me

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:48 PM PDT

    LTL, and all that. So, I used to work in ITS Training for a large health system and have fortunately moved on to greener pastures. My replacement isn't fully up to spec on all her requirements yet so I often get pulled in to respond to certain things as I helped develop several of the procedures that are followed.

    Normally we try to have software training conducted by the trainers in our department as they are most familiar with proper workflow as well as the lesson plans that have been developed to make sure that new staff get trained properly. In certain circumstances where geography can make that more difficult, we have certain people in the department who have been trained on the proper material and were at one point given my blessing to complete the training. We also give them a EUPA (End User Proficiency Assessment) to ensure that they know the material that they should know. Assuming that they get an 80% or higher, their access gets activated. With all that background, the cast of characters:

    $me - former "Principal Trainer"

    $NPT - new "Principal Trainer"

    $Trainer - In House ITS Trainer

    $PM - pissy manager

    $SU - Super User who conducted training

    $STU - Student/Staff that was trained

    $TM - Training Manager (for simplicity sake)

    $PACS - Where radiology images are stored

    $EMR - Electronic Medical Record

    When we first went out to this location to start this Super User training process, we were less than pleased with one of the candidates that they proposed (had been working for less than a year) who was extremely nervous with the material that she was trying to present and didn't have it "down pat" by any means. I understand being nervous, but it was beyond that. The other two had been around for several years and generally knew what they were doing. We provided them with lesson plans to teach from along with other materials such as training logins so they can get into a non-production system to conduct training from so that they aren't touching real patient data.

    We go back down for a follow-up when they actually have new hires to train so that we can proctor them and make sure everything goes smoothly and give them our blessing (we had already told them that the greenhorn was a no go). The person who is conducting the training is ready to go into production and didn't have any lesson plans and just sort of did his own thing. I wasn't necessarily alarmed when I didn't see lesson plans as I don't have them in front of me either because, well, I wrote them, but I've also taught other lesson plans that I didn't write from memory because I used to stand in front of a classroom all day and teach them. Not off to a great start, but the guy knows what he's doing so we give him the go ahead and say use the lesson plan next time... fast forward to this week:

    $PM emails $Trainer and says that they tried to train her and her login isn't working, $Trainer replies and copies in $NPT, $TM, and $me and says that her ID will not be active until she is trained which shouldn't be an issue because they should be training in the training environments.

    One hour later $PM emails and says a very short "Training Finished. Can her logins be made live please?" I reply to our internal group and say make sure that you get the EUPA from her first as that's the protocol (this manager and I have had issues with seeing eye to eye before and this particular location is known for thinking that rules don't apply to them). $Trainer replies indicating such to her and $PM replies with a quick "Seriously?". None of us reply, and 3 hours later we get a scanned document of the test, "Let me know when this poor woman can use $PACS/$EMR". Before anyone goes about starting the documentation to get her ID activated, I decide to look at the test. She needed an 80% to pass and got a 60%. Mind you, anyone who gives one of these tests is supposed to make sure that they pass the exam, however, she didn't even come close. These aren't trick questions, they are extremely basic. I tell $TM that he is going to need to need to talk to her. He tries calling $PM twice and gets no answer. At this point, it's 4:45 on a Friday afternoon and I am going home for the weekend. I hope the rush order on this wasn't due to her new hire working over the weekend, because she's going to have a hard time doing anything if she can't login to the $EMR. This isn't the first time that we've had people say they urgently need to get training done as this person will be working overnight/over the weekend by themselves. Who hires a person and expects them to work by themselves the same week that they started? What if something goes wrong and one of the numerous moving pieces that you have to get in order before they can work doesn't line up as you expected? (P.S. the super user who trained her told us that he didn't know that he was going to be training anyone before 9 o'clock this morning).

    </rant>

    submitted by /u/arbyyyyh
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not tech support, you are!

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:33 PM PDT

    Just remembered a great (lol) moment from this batshit crazy week at work.

    So we "run" a website, but we basically just update daily announcements, post pictures, etc. A coworker comes in fuming about getting more exposure for her announcement.

    She comes in my office...

    $Me - hey, how's it going?

    $angry - I sent you an email about my problem about not getting to my announcement quickly. It took me 3 clicks to get there!

    $Me - Hey, yeah I saw that. There's nothing I can really do. We have about 2 places to post info and you're in the best spot.

    $angry - Well on the old website it was so much easier. Why did we change any way if this is going to preform like this? It's stupid and makes no sense.

    $me - Well, first that site was hacked and was a security issue. Administration chose this, so I do what I'm told.

    I point at the screen... pretending to give her an option.

    $Me - So here is where it's at right now, if you could choose a >better place where you want it?

    $angry - Why are you asking me? I'm not tech support, you are!!

    I've literally had a shitty day already, and this about put me over >the edge.

    $Me - Well you said you didn't like it, I was seeing where you >think it would look better.

    $angry - Well I'm going to talk to adminstration, and if I lose out on business on this I know who I'm blaming.

    $Me - Hey no problem. Just a heads up they're in a meeting right now. I just got out of there helping them with some issues. I think they're meeting for the rest of the day. Let me know what they say. (I love reminding them that I'm on their good side aka the only people I need to look good to.)

    She storms out.

    submitted by /u/immortalis
    [link] [comments]

    When starting the remote session is the hardest part of the call.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:05 PM PDT

    I work in a company which deals in MFPs. I'm a tech, so basically I deal with what nobody else in the tech world wants to - printers.

    A lot of the times, the client's problem can be solved remotely - e.g. it's a permissions or config problem. We use screenconnect to start a remote session. In this story, I'll be $Tech, and the customer will be $User

    $Tech: <Name> speaking, how can I help?

    $User: Um...yes, I can't print. It was fine this morning and now I can't print!

    $Tech: OK, if you like I'll start off a remote session and dial into your computer and take a look.

    $User: Um...okay.

    $Tech: OK, I need you to go to a web browser of your choice and go to <company>.screenconnect.com

    $User: Okay...

    I hear her furiously type, swear, then hear the telltale clack clack clack of backspace being hit. She types again.

    $User: It doesn't work! All I get is google!

    Sigh She's typed the address into a search bar.

    $Tech: Try again please? Make sure it's going into the address bar.

    $User: What was it? <company>.screenconnector.com?

    $Tech: No, no, just screenconnect

    $User: Okay, okay. more typing. Still nothing!

    $Tech: I'll send you a join link in an email. What's your email address, please?

    $User: Huh?

    $Tech: Email address, please.

    $User: Oh! recites email

    I send her the invite link, and we wait a few minutes. She manages to connect, then it starts to download the client.

    $User: What's it doing? It's asking me if I want to run it?

    $Tech: Yes, you want to run it.

    $User: Now it's asking me if I want to let it make changes to my computer? What kind of changes? I don't want it to change anything!

    $Tech: It won't, trust me.

    She lets it run, and I manage to connect. I discover that her printer is fine, but her laptop was connected to the guest network, not the work network where the printers are. I change it over, and everything is OK.

    It took ten minutes of run-around trying to get her to enter a URL, just for me to do a ten-second job. I enjoy this job, but sometimes people amaze me.

    submitted by /u/Celdarion
    [link] [comments]

    The best way to communicate with a major company... through a completely random user!

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:01 AM PDT

    $CC - Company I recently joined as a T1
    $RG - Group we work with heavily, have AD accounts with us and all that but aren't technically a part of our company
    $TPC - Company $RG works with


    User calls in. Turns out that $RG's overglorified search function for their knowledge base was kaput, no search results showing for anything. This is apparently powered by $TPC, used by $RG exclusively and points to $CC's servers in some cases. You may see where this is going already.

    Apparently there was quite an email chain - or rather, five different ones - going on about this already between $TPC's support, $RG's general staff and admins, and at one point us. They're trying to figure out who's servers/software/etc are at fault. This has apparently been going on since yesterday morning, which makes it bizarre it isn't already solved because this search was pretty damn important for $RG. $TPC are apparently now pointing fingers at us, hence the call.

    The unfortunate user, henceforth $UU, is a completely random non-technical $RG employee who all of this information is going through... for some reason. I mean her manager is involved in all these chains and presumably knows more, he could have called... but no? One of $RG's more technically minded admins maybe? $TPC could even have gotten in contact directly, god knows that'd have been helpful?

    Because she didn't really know enough about anything to explain it aside from the basic issue of the broken search, I pretty much tell the user "yeah forward us the emails, I'll get $DM to look into it". $DM being the person who keeps the helpdesk from burning down a random T2 engineer (whoever is scheduled) who all the T1s report to and escalate with.

    It is then I realise quite what had been picked up, as I watched the email chains come into our inbox. This was five randomly interspersed long chains that split and re-merged randomly, two of which were actually sent as attachments to two different ones, with no one I recognise involved... aside from one person, one of our T2s who appears to have basically gone "uhh why are you involving us with this? Doesn't look like it could be our side that's at fault". I asked him on IM, he doesn't even remember it, so apparently not much of a concern.

    As you'd expect, because it involved a lot of people and rapidly switched recipients, the bulk of the chains were actually oversized auto-signatures and "please save the environment by not printing this email!" postscripts, which didn't help readability but at least made it less daunting than it first appeared. After spending 10 minutes skimming through them and sort of getting the gist, I go up to $DM - "check email folder, things exploding, thanks".

    I went back to taking calls after $DM questioned me a little and I pretty much shrugged. He spends 20 mins reading through it scratching his head, then he gets to calling our teams who might be involved. First the Networks team, then Systems Management, then Infrastructure. We'll figure out for sure what's going on!

    An hour later, despite there being <10 of us in the call queue, I happen to be the one who picks it up. Oh my, it's $UU again! Oh, what's that... we're to completely stop our investigation? That exact wording? Okay... why? You don't know, you've got another email chain and your manager just told you to let us know? Is the search working now then? No? Okay... can you forward us said email chain?

    To be fair to $UU, it really wasn't their fault, they were just the middleman who had nothing to do with the situation all things considered. Although we never got forwarded that last email chain, so we were left even more puzzled. I went up to $DM to share the news, he had an "uhh... okay..?" reaction, as did the people he informed.

    I mean in the end it's not hard to figure out someone at $TPC probably went "oh hell, it is our fault! Quick, get them to let $CC know before they figure that out!", but it was just such a weird experience.

    The best part is, because this was all done via email and speech, no one ever actually ever logged a ticket. I probably should have made one then insta-resolved it just for documentation purposes but spending ten minutes writing it up instead of handling calls wasn't worth it, especially when I barely knew anything overall.

    submitted by /u/a_random_passerby
    [link] [comments]

    The "old" laptop won't login

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 07:34 AM PDT

    I have nobody to share this with today as both my Manager and Co-worker are out on vacation, so now y'all have to suffer through this with me.

     

    It's been a rather normal morning. I got my coffee and started browsing reddit working tickets, when Wild Login Ticket appears! Cue Pokemon battle music

     

    Subject: Unable to Login

    Body: User can't login to old laptop.

    Serial Tag: D series from 2006

     

    $GuppyZed uses $CompanyEmail! It's not very effective...

    $GuppyZed: Hello, $User! Can you verify the information from the service desk? I'm showing the laptop referenced has been out of scope for some time and needs to be returned to IT for disposal.

    $User: Well that would explain why it's not working!

    submitted by /u/GuppyZed
    [link] [comments]

    Go-figure(ation).

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:58 PM PDT

    I work esclations for an ISP...

    Me: This is Nik, how may I assist.

    Realtor: I was transferred again! I'm tired of this. My email stopped forwarding to Outlook. It was spinning, but now it is not.

    note: Our system is a little bit evil. If you try to bypass the automated system by asking for a live person, it will send you to a billing agent. If someone has a technical issue and are the impatient type, they have always gone through at least two transfers by the time they get esclated to me.

    Me: I'm sorry your email is not working right, let's look into this. Is the email working from webmail?

    Realtor: I am on it now, but can't say it is working because it isn't forwarding to Outlook.

    Me: When is the last message in webmail.

    Realtor: Three minutes ago.

    Me: Great, the email is receiving messages. Now I need to clarify something because forwarding to outlook and receiving to outlook are two different things. Have you set up your webmail to forward to an Outlook email or is it where you set up an Outlook program to bring in your email.

    Realtor: I don't understand. You guys always walk me through this.

    Me: I want to clarify these terms because it changes how I help you. Do you forward your email with us to xyz@ outlook.com or do you open a program by Microsoft Corporation called Outlook.

    Realtor: I don't know what you are talking about. Maybe I using the wrong terms, but I just know I forward my emails to Outlook.

    Me: I know this is confusing but do you have email xyz@ outlook.com or do you use the program Outlook?

    Realtor: I still don't know what you are talking about. I need you to tell me which I have.

    Me: Ma'am I don't know your configuration, that is why I need you to tell me. Either you have an email address by Microsoft or you are using a computer program called Outlook created by Microsoft.

    Realtor: I don't know what configuration means. You guys always help me and maybe I have my terms wrong, but it always forwards to Outlook and it is not forwarding.

    I sigh and am not even bothering to look at my monitors now. I stand up and stare at the Twisted Metal poster my boss has hung just behind my desk. I seriously want to be playing that game right that second. I compose myself again

    Me: When you access your email normally, how do you do it? Where do you go?

    Realtor: I click on this icon that says Outlook.

    Me: What error do you get?

    Realtor: Nothing.

    Me: Nothing? No error, nothing on the screen?

    Realtor: Nothing. It was spinning, but now it isn't doing anyhing.

    Me: Ma'am that isn't an email issue, that is a Microsoft program issue. Outlook not reacting to you clicking on it is something that you need to contact Microsoft Corporation about. We aren't able to say why a program made by them, not us, is not working.

    At some point in my little speach she hung up. When I don't know because I was staring out a window at a cloudy sky.

    TL:DR- Apparently an email program crashing is equivalant to the end of the world leaving me wanting to play a game about ending the world through derby demolition.

    submitted by /u/nik_drake
    [link] [comments]

    It's never fun job hunting

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 01:27 AM PDT

    It's been a while since I posted here. Most of my tales come from my previous job which ended when I more or less got fed up with the idea that the management team became half the people who worked for the company.
    After reading this story it made me think of a few of my interview experiences.


    Towards the end of 2016, they were pushing and basically making my life a pain because I without thinking pissed off one of the 3 General Managers and in front of witnesses said No, the issue is your blindly submitting support tickets and without thinking was demanding a change in workflow that would make closing off tickets require a response from the people who submitted them.
    This being a user base of people who were hard enough to get hold of when they were having issues.

    So yeah, I got sick of that job. I lasted about 3 months after the IT Manager left.

    All up I was probably unemployed for close to 4 months and when asked in interviews, I'd explain I was taking the time to get some qualifications. During this time I'd completed Cisco CCNA which honestly isn't that hard but gives a good basis for understanding for troubleshooting which I feel was helpful.

    I also did something called ITIL which I don't believe anyone is a thing in the US, but is a framework for service providers. Not specifically ISPs but really anything dealing with people.


    #1 Promising lead
    I was a company who had an office in my city who were now big enough to have an onsite SysAdmin and Helpdesk person. The phone interview with the IT Manager went well, we spoke for almost an hour and the reason I was shortlisted was because my last role overlapped between SysAdmin and Helpdesk. The capacity for two people doing rollout stuff when there isn't a lot of support going on was a win for them and for me its better than break/fix all day every day.
    So 2 weeks go by and the IT Manager gets back to me and it turns out they're not going to be getting a helpdesk person and let the one Systems Administrator handle helpdesk on top of everything else.
    I'm disappointed but I'm definitely feeling better about how much I'm worth.


    #2 What looked like a Promising lead
    I have a chat with a recruitment guy, and then there's why he called.

    Him: You've applied for the SysAdmin role but to be honest, I don't feel you have the necessary experience for it. However we're also looking for another helpdesk person.

    I figure get my foot in the door. Move up from there. I say I'm interested he says he'll call later in the week about lining up an interview.
    I hangup thinking, nice guy
    On the Friday before I started my ITIL cert. This is 2 full days including the assessment. The guy rings up.

    Him: Hey I've got an interview lined up for you! Can you come to our office first thing Monday?
    Me: I've actually got ITIL Monday and Tuesday this week. It's two 9 hour days back to back.

    I mentioned being signed up to do ITIL in the very near future and he said it was a great cert to have.
    His tone takes a drastic change, he actually sounds angry.

    Him: Well do you want the job or not?
    Me: Well it doesn't really line up. I have this course starting on Monday and-
    Him: Well can you postpone it?
    Me: Not without losing the money I've already paid to do it.

    The rest of the conversation just becomes clearer and clearer that I don't want to deal with this person.
    He hangs up in a huff and I immediately add his number to the block list on my phone.
    This was the first but not the last interaction with a recruiter that made me dislike them.


    I had a few more dead end interviewers which I basically did purely for the practice, get used it and come across more confident when I go for the jobs I do want.


    One time I won't even call it a lead. Recruiter got my to talk to a small group, the instructions on where to go actually gave me the wrong address. I knocked on the door of a house thinking their office was a house that had been renovated and turned into office (Maybe?)
    ... It wasn't
    But I wasn't the first to make that mistake. Turns out Google reported them to be able a block down the street from where they should have been.
    The interview is fairly mundane. They primarily use Macs and do social media stuff so I'm not all that sure what I'm doing here. Most of the questions are fairly standard, I get one that's a little weirdly worded but I roll with it.

    THEN there's the deciding question, that I assume was made up on the spot. I'm not even sure I remember it correctly because no matter how I think about it it doesn't sound right.
    It was something to the effect of, we want to do (something) with an old server but (weird limitation).
    I'm mostly caught off-guard by this question.

    Me: Is it a Windows server or a Mac server?

    I don't know how to answer.

    Me: You said an old server, should I assume it's all working, or are you asking what I'd do to check everything was all good?
    Him: it's on the floor. It's not plugged in.

    This information has not helped me.

    Me: I guess I'd check rack mount it, power it on and see what OS it was running? Check it's specs???

    The question fell flat, he didn't know what answer he was looking for and it made the remainder of the interview a little odd.


    I've got a few more, might look at writing those up before I head off to bed.

    submitted by /u/votekick
    [link] [comments]

    "My Laptop is slow! You must get me a new one!"

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:08 AM PDT

    This happened just now. I can't not share it with you all! Hope the formatting is okay...

    $me - fairly obvious, your's truly! $user - Older employee. Actually an Aircraft Engineer.

    So $user calls me now complaining that his laptop is incredibly slow and he's demanding a new one right now or he's going to his manager to complain! Oh and he also needs his Java updated. Java update is fine, needs admin credentials to do anyway.

    I waltz down to take a look. Notice the machine is incredibly slow so I open Task Manager to check for anything hogging resources etc. Hit the performance tab and see something that I've only ever seen on a server... An uptime of 310 days! (Proof - https://imgur.com/a/Bk6xFk6)

    $me - "$User your laptop is slow because it hasn't been switched off since I gave you this machine. Thats 310 days this laptop has been switched on for!"

    $User - "Lies! Don't accuse me of that! I turn it off every day before I go home!"

    $Me - "I'm not accusing you of anything, however the facts here don't lie. Perhaps show me how you go about shutting down your machine then we can identify any further issues"

    User closes the lid of his laptop. Thats it.

    $Me - Facedesk.

    Needless to say the laptop is performing great now after a proper shut down cycle and even updated his Java!

    submitted by /u/RagingPilot94
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel