• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, April 20, 2018

    Home Networking Xfinity Hotspot works on linux...but not windows, wtf?

    Home Networking Xfinity Hotspot works on linux...but not windows, wtf?


    Xfinity Hotspot works on linux...but not windows, wtf?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 03:40 PM PDT

    I can't get comcast internet to my house, because they want to charge 2500$ to run a cable, however my neighbor has an xfinity hotspot that me and my brother have been able to use. This has worked for 6 months or so.

    Lately though only one person has been able to connect; it says "No Internet, open" when I try to connect if my brother is on, and the same thing for him if I am on. Now here is the weird thing, this is what happens on my windows 10 os, but when I boot up linux mint on the same machine, it connects just fine, even when my brother is on. (I use linux mint as my work os, and windows for gaming)

    I have tried every configuration and internet troubleshooting guide I could find through google and haven't had any luck. Updating drivers, ipconfig renew/reset, netsh winsock reset, restart computer, basic troubleshooter. Kind of at a loss of what to do at this point.

    Any sort of suggestions, thoughts, guides, etc would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/destravous
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear ac1200 outperforming ac2300 nighthawk?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 07:02 PM PDT

    Aside from better range, name says it all. Both with latest firmware, but speeds dilivered to each item much slower.

    • Lots and lots of reboots

    • 300 / 30 speed verified at modem

    • 250 / 25 on ac1200 via wifi

    • 50ish / 20 on ac2300 NH

    • 2300 off the shelf new, 1200 ~ 15 months old.

    • WTF?

    submitted by /u/The_estimator_is_in
    [link] [comments]

    Switch only works when multiple devices are on?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:12 AM PDT

    I must be missing something obvious with my troubleshooting because this seems weird.

    Here's the setup in our townhouse:

    • Purpose built network cupboard is where fiber comes in. ISP has fiber model and router installed in there.
    • House is pre-wired with CAT5, only one of which is used and plugs into router
    • At the CAT5 wall jack there are 3 devices: IPTV PVR, Xbox, Desktop connected via a switch. So the switch has 4 ports used, the 3 devices and a cable going into the wall port.

    Now on the desktop internet cuts out (not always but usually) if another device such as the Xbox or PVR isn't turned on. ipconfig still reveals the router (in the network cupboard) as the default gateway but it's not reachable via browser. Turning on another device makes it work instantly.

    Is there some other combination I'm missing here?

    submitted by /u/threemanycats
    [link] [comments]

    PFsense with an old laptop and Archer C9

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 06:22 PM PDT

    Quick check to see if I'm crazy.

    I have an old laptop (Toshiba Portege R835-P56x) and an Archer C9. Can I run PFsense on a stick with the laptop and use the Archer C9 as an accesspoint? Does the Archer C9 support VLANs?

    Or do I need a USB NIC to make this work?

    Don't really wanna buy new hardware...wanted to try it out before I got more appropriate hardware.

    submitted by /u/Joshua95134
    [link] [comments]

    IPv6 wireless

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 04:20 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am currently trying to figure out how to access IPv6 on WAN.

    I'm not sure if it's a limitation of my router. I am currently using a netgear Orbi, when I go into settings under IPv6, it says my address on WAN is unavailable.

    I've been trying to search to see what I can do to obtain an address but I haven't found a solution.

    I've done the Comcast test and it shows it's available but I can't figure out how to access it on WiFi.

    Thanks ahead of time.

    submitted by /u/chimelime
    [link] [comments]

    Which wireless router is better for my needs?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 03:45 PM PDT

    Hi All

    I am looking at the Wireless Router AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual-Band Gigabit (Archer C9) for $89.99 or the TP-Link Archer AC1750 Smart WiFi Router – Dual Band Gigabit, Qualcomm Inside (C7) for $69.99.

    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00BUSDVBQ?th=1

    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00PDLRHFW?th=1

    This is for a 1 bedroom 900SF apartment that is serviced by Webpass's 1,000 Mbps speeds.

    I will have an xbox and desktop hard wired. I will have 2 phones, 2 laptops, and maybe 1 or 2 more devices on the wifi.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AreWeOkay
    [link] [comments]

    Moving to Ubiquiti edge and AC, need a new modem, what to look for?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 03:20 PM PDT

    I'm starting at only 25 down, but will prolly jump up too 100 once I get everything set up. I use up tables, or pbr for my VPN. Also keep a guest vlan. Setting up service with Comcast. I also have about 30 connected devices on my network including a cloud and a local seed box. I was thinking a DOCSIS 3.0 and 16x4. Is this sufficient? Anything else I should look for in a modem?

    Would like to stay cost effective >100 if possible

    submitted by /u/Randomhero360
    [link] [comments]

    Fios to Time Warner(spectrum)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:54 PM PDT

    Hi, I am currently using Verizon Fios and paying $39.99 monthly with internet only. I am curios how much it will cost after that 1 year ends? If i were to switch from Fios to Time Warner, will i still be able to use the Fios Router G1100 with Time Warner?

    submitted by /u/prinny69
    [link] [comments]

    Does a wireless router report your traffic?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:42 AM PDT

    I'm fairly new to home wireless routers so forgive the noobish question. Does a wireless router, off the shelf, report your internet usage to its company? I use a VPN but my kids don't (taking baby steps with them). Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/MuffinsMcSassyPants
    [link] [comments]

    Huawei e3531 Port Forwarding

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:25 PM PDT

    I wonder if I can do port forwarding on 3g USB modem.. There is not an option in settings, but can I flash different firmware on it?

    It has microSD slot too.. so by any chance I can get to port forwarding?

    submitted by /u/jpurg
    [link] [comments]

    Switching to Comcast Gigabit. Is my router fine?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:23 PM PDT

    Hey guys. So i plan on upgrading to Comcast Gigabit this week and had a question. My modem is the CM1000 and my router right now is the LINKSYS EA8500. Would this be fine for gigabit? Would be 1000mbps down and 45 upload.

    7 wired devices(some off router and to a switch. All PCs and gaming consoles) 10 wireless devices(all phones)

    submitted by /u/Steeler1994
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless Ethernet Bridge for detached guest house.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 02:04 PM PDT

    I'm building a detached "guest house" (really a garage with office) about 50' from my main house. Running a hardwired (either UTP or fiber) will be problematic so I'm looking at extending the network via some sort of wireless bridge.

    Years ago (maybe 20) we did this at a company I worked at with a microwave point-to-point bridge. It was insanely expensive but worked well. I'm hoping there's something similar that will work that's not crazy $$$$. I'd like to maintain Gbps speeds if possible.

    Also, I'm currently running Ubiquiti in the main house so it would be nice (but by no means a requirement) if it was a Ubiquiti product. Their website has all sorts of antennas and "airmaxx" stuff but for the life of me I can't seem to nail down if I'm the use case for these products.

    submitted by /u/zimm0who0net
    [link] [comments]

    New home networking cabinet has a SAM-VE and a SAM-D8, need help.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:39 PM PDT

    We have a new house (built in 08) that has a network panel in the basement with a SAM-VE and SAM-D8. How would I hook up my modem? All the ports on the D8 are full (for the Ethernet outlets throughout the house) Is it as easy to plugging in my modem > router > Ethernet port?

    submitted by /u/Bendrumin
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear EX7000 Wifi Extender in Access Point Mode causes main modem to loose connection periodically.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    Hey All

    I have a Netgear EX7000 Wifi Extender which I am using as an access point to my main network via a long ethernet cable.

    The main modem is a NetMaster CBW-383Z4 (provided by network provider).

    This setup has been working fine for months, yet a few days ago the main modem looses connection for 5 minutes approximately every 20-30 min.

    This is only the case if the netgear access point is attached, otherwise it works fine. (Have tested multiple hours with and without)

    I am at my admittedly very low limits regarding networking knowledge.

    For what it is worth: The Netgear access point is set to dynamically obtain its IP from the router. Might that be related? Is there some conflict occuring?

    Sorry if I am missing important information - I am really not sure what to include. If you need to know anything else please do let me know.

    Thank you in advance :)

    submitted by /u/TheSchilk
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop as WAN filter plus run a torrent client?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:31 PM PDT

    I have been thinking about modifying my home network but I'm having little luck finding understandable information about what I want to do. I would like to have a low-power device between the modem and the router to operate as a WAN filter and run a torrent client. The best choices for this seem to be either an SoC or a laptop. I have 2 laptops. Looking at SoCs, the Rock64 has slightly beefier components but the Raspberry Pi is better supported with a larger community to draw on.

    What I want:
    modem -> laptop -> router -> everything else
    The laptop is a lower mid-tier HP (2GHz quad A8 with 8GB RAM) and I would like for it to both operate as a WAN filter and run a torrent client at the same time. A USB to ethernet adapter would connect the laptop to the router. The router is my current D-Link DIR-850L and it would provide connections for 4 wired devices plus wifi.

    If I can't do that... the laptop would have pfSense and the torrent client would move to the second laptop, out on the LAN. The underlying goal is to use machines (SoC or laptops) that will minimize power consumption. I'd rather use one laptop instead of two for torrenting. I do have an unused quad core AM4 microATX tower that would probably do the filtering job very well but the power consumption makes me hesitate.

    Can a WAN filter and torrent client be run together in Windows on the laptop or would this be a job for Linux?

    I hope I've explained this clearly enough. Any comments would be welcome.

    submitted by /u/Syfte_
    [link] [comments]

    RJ11 issue.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    I'm from the UK, and my internet comes down the phone line. This is in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

    The smallest bedroom I'm using as my 'networking closest'. But this isn't the same room the phoneline comes in.

    I've had my modem/router set up in the room the line does come in, I've been getting around 35Mbps. Which is about my estimated speed.

    I've bought some new telephone wire, ran it under the floorboards and today I've got around to crimping the cables with RJ11 connectors. Works fine, but my speed is substantially slower, 25-27Mbps. Moving the router back in to the other room and using the presupplied RJ11 cables, it goes back up to around 35Mbps.

    I tried to recrimp the wires, just in case it was an issue with that, did one end, tested it, the other end, tested it. Same issue. 25-27Mbps.

    Now, looking at the presupplied cable, the RJ11 connector is grey, so I'm not able to see how many wires actually go in to the connector, however I can see there's only two copper pins on the end of it, so I'm guessing two. However the wire I have run as well as the connectors are four wires and four pins.

    So here's my question, is the slower speed likely to be the cause of cable length (can't remember how long the cable was, 10m probably, cut about 1m off) or cable quality? Or could it maybe be an issue with with the four wires? I seem to remember when I moved the telephone socket I only used two of the three wires (telephone wires I believe) because the additional wires could cause issues with internet speed.

    submitted by /u/Jawswing
    [link] [comments]

    Going from Jet Pack to LTE Modem

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 12:34 PM PDT

    Hello all, I am looking to change my home network a little bit. I currently use an verizon Ellipsis jet pack for my internet but run through the 15gb of data very quickly and then it slows down to a crawl. If I buy a Netgear LTE modem such as the 1120, can I use the SIM card from the jetpack and stream unlimited data without it being throttled down? Or will Verizon still see the Netgear router as a hotspot and then slow down once I hit the 15 GB mark?

    submitted by /u/Azpinstriped
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Wireless Ethernet between basement and 2nd floor

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:37 AM PDT

    I would like to have Verizon install FiOS (we have limited ISP options). However, they will want to run an ethernet cable for the install. They insisted that this was the case last time they came.

    My house was recently redone and it has coaxial cable run through out. I do not want Verizon drilling more hole in the house. So I am trying to find a wireless solution for the ethernet cable which need to run from the basement to the second floor. The basement is on a separate electrical service, so a Powerline Bridge would not work for me.

    Should I be looking for an Ethernet Bridge, an Access Point, or something else? Or should I just buy another router and somehow connect it to the WiFi router on the second floor?

    submitted by /u/foo-man-chew
    [link] [comments]

    need some advice with a point to point

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:34 AM PDT

    I need to put a camera at a gate with a decent sized hill in between a house and the gate. see picture the gate is on the other side down the hill would a point to point work for this case? I have contemplated fiber, but I dont want to mess with aerial and the hill is almost solid rock so i couldn't bury it. I'm not apposed to putting a small tower or something up.

    submitted by /u/Jagsta21
    [link] [comments]

    What is a quick way to know how many hosts you can have on a subnet?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 06:45 AM PDT

    I understand subnetting, but if someone asks me what subnet mask or CIDR you need to be able to have "x" amount of hosts, I can't just do it in my head. I have to get a pen and paper and write it out till I get it. Anyone have any tips on how to just know what mask or CIDR to use?

    submitted by /u/hhhax7
    [link] [comments]

    LAN Drops, WiFi still Fly

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:20 AM PDT

    About two months ago I started having issues with devices connected to my LAN dropping, all devices, all at once. The WiFi continues to work though. Nothing has changed with my ISP.

    Since we just gutted/remodeled the house, I have all new Cat7 for the connected devices. Everything has been running fine on this for about 7-8 months before this started.

    On the LAN I have: * 3 ethos miners, 2 TVs, my sons PS4, a Mac Pro media server, and sometimes my macbook pro. * There are 2 other macbook airs, 2 ipads, phones, nest stuff amazon stuff all on wifi

    I have antivirus on all the Mac machines and run chkrootkit on the 3 linux boxes and I'm all clean.

    When the LAN crashes I can switch the connected device to the WiFi and never have any problems.

    I found it odd so I started replacing components.

    The original network was: Internet -> Charter Modem -> Mac Airport Timecapsule -> Unmanaged Switch -> devices

    So I dropped the Time capsule and Switch with this setup: Internet -> Charter Modem -> Netgear Nighthawk Router -> devices

    I got the same results, LAN dropping, WiFi still works fine.

    To eliminate more components, I ditched that setup and got a (Charter Approved) Modem. So now I'm looking like: Internet -> Asus CM-32 -> Unmanaged Switch -> devices

    While I had the 16 port unmanaged switch out of the equation, a friend was using it for his mining needs and never had a problem with it. So I felt comfortable sticking it back in.

    I'm still seeing the same thing. After 20-30hrs my LAN drops off. If I leave the miners offline I can go longer without them dropping.

    I'm at a loss here …. Not sure where to look next.

    TIA

    • edit: Apparently I can't format for shit on Reddit either now. I'm about to give up Internetting
    submitted by /u/edaddi
    [link] [comments]

    How to test if an unmanaged switch passes VLAN tags?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 09:28 AM PDT

    I have a brand new unmanaged switch still in it's box, a TRENDnet TEG-S24D, and would like to know if it will pass VLAN tags. How can I test it? I don't have devices with more than 1 Ethernet port (for physical loopbacks) or that natively tag packets, so I'd have to do it with a pair of devices, like two linux machines. There must be some sort of magical curl, ip/ifconfig, or wget command...

    The switch says that it supports "802.1p QoS", which, as I've come to understand, is supported/implemented by 802.1Q (VLAN, etc.), but I'm not sure if it also means the reverse: that a 802.1p device always supports/implements 802.1Q. I doubt it. My Google-fu reveals that I should just try it out.

    I'm upgrading my parents' home network, putting in a dozen or so drops, and they revealed that they want a bunch of cameras after I got their equipment. (The switch can still be returned for another couple weeks...) I'm a stickler about separating IoT devices such as cameras from your regular computer network from a security standpoint, and I have a vague idea that it will alleviate bandwidth concerns. If this switch passes VLAN tags then I'll use it with another dedicated PoE switch for the cameras, otherwise I'll replace it with a 24-port managed PoE switch. I am amazed, and slightly suspicious, by their price points nowadays.

    Note: I do have a Synology DS1513+ (linux based NAS), which has 4 GigE ports, 3 empty. It's a busy little box, though, so I'd rather not mess with it if it involves changing network settings or interrupting its other processes.

    submitted by /u/tlucas
    [link] [comments]

    New Edgerouter X set up upnp, dns

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:56 AM PDT

    I just got a ER-X and went though basic set up and have internet. Need help with upnp and dns. Only change I've made thus far is set my internet port (DHCP, I'm on Spectrum (brighthouse) 300/20) and set my default user and password. Seems there's a lot of conflicting info from what I've read so I am seeking guidance. Any point of doing upnp and dns servers through the wizards or just scratch that idea and go straight for the command line? If so what's the commands I should use? Not a novice but new to this type router for sure. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SluggoMcNutty
    [link] [comments]

    Rogers Gigabit... Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 & Ubiquiti UAP Lite OR Archer C7?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 08:50 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I have Rogers Gigabit and I am looking to upgrade my wireless router as my RT-N66U just broke.

    Some notes:

    • house is medium size

    • want slightly better range than my RT-N66U

    • not concerned about hitting amazing speeds on wireless

    • prefer ease of use and value over extreme configuration

    • we don't have many AC devices in our household yet

    • no plans to put routers all over house

    I was going to go with the Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 and the Ubiquiti UAP but then I figured I should just go with the Archer C7 instead. Is the former setup going to be significantly better?

    Any thoughts? Here, the Archer C7 is $90 and the Mikrotik and Ubiquiti will cost well over $200.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/--purge
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel