• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, April 17, 2018

    Home Networking Wifi is free through apartment. We have a cheap router in our kitchen but there is no security it. Can I buy my own router and plug it in?

    Home Networking Wifi is free through apartment. We have a cheap router in our kitchen but there is no security it. Can I buy my own router and plug it in?


    Wifi is free through apartment. We have a cheap router in our kitchen but there is no security it. Can I buy my own router and plug it in?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    So the wifi is provided through our apartment and is free, the connection is unsecure and it regularly goes out. Would it be possible to buy my own router and unplug the one in the kitchen and replace it with my own. If I do this will I be able to put a password with WPA2 security? I'm not sure how all of this works so any information would be very helpful. Here is a picture of our current router

    submitted by /u/VulgerUlcer
    [link] [comments]

    Do HDMI/Ethernet splicers exist?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:26 AM PDT

    To clarify:

    I am looking for a device to "inject" an ethernet connection into an ethernet capable HDMI cable.

    My TV is mounted to the wall and the ethernet port is right beneath it near the floor. Right now there is power, multiple HDMI lines and ethernet going from the cabinet beneath it up the wall to the TV itself, and I'd just like to save on cables that need to go through the channel.

    My plan was - considering HDMI cables can carry ethernet connections - to basically bundle one HDMI cable with the ethernet connection, but every search term I try only leads to either ethernet capable HDMI cables, or HDMI/Cat5 bridges that run one HDMI connection through two Cat5 cables (although these seem to be purely electrical adapters).

    Now I am starting to wonder if a device like I am looking for even exists.

    What I imagine is pretty much a box with an ethernet port and an HDMI port on one side, and only an HDMI port on the other.

    I would not mind having to put the same device right behind the TV as well, would not mind a connection speed of only 100MBit/s, and would not mind having to power it on both ends.

    If anyone knows a specific device that does this, I would be grateful, but any combination of search terms that lead to such devices would help as well, because I am running out of ideas how they could be named.

    submitted by /u/SteampunkBorg
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble trouble shooting my slow network.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:24 PM PDT

    So my house recently upgraded out network speeds to 400/45 from 100/30. Our ISP sent us a new modem to accommodate these speeds and we kept using our old router. The router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000. I have my modem and router linked with a Cat5e cable and a flat Cat6 cable running up to my room to my PC. On my Pc I am only getting speeds of 89mbs. Over WiFi on my iPhone I'm getting 180gbs. I'm trying to figure out why my speeds are so slow on my PC. It's a Z97 Mobo so I don't believe the bottle neck is that connection. After trouble shooting a little I called our ISP and they sent out a guy to come test and check their wiring coming into the house they said they were getting 350 from the coaxial and that it's not on their end.

    Does anyone have any suggestions to where my network may be getting slowed down?

    submitted by /u/honz_
    [link] [comments]

    Constant packet loss. Super infuriating.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:13 PM PDT

    For the most part web browsing and talking with friends through discord is fine, until I start playing games. FOr the past 8-9 months I get constant packet loss every single second. I have tried everything to fix this. I have a wired connection, i have done multiple traceroutes and got normal ping, turned off Windows Firewall, and I still get constant packet loss every single game. The 2 games i mostly play are Fortnite and Rocket League, and I get constant packet loss, even playing on my PS4. My only option that i can think of to solve this is to buy a new router. Any help appreciated. Just and FYI, I am a noob when it comes to networking. Thank you

    submitted by /u/Lauty_6
    [link] [comments]

    [UK] Can I use my ISP combination modem/router as just a modem, and use my EdgeRouter X as the router?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:15 PM PDT

    I have just changed my ISP from BT Infinity to Now TV Broadband, on their Super Fibre plan.

    They have provided me with their Now TV Hub Two (Sky NR801), which is a combination modem and router.

    I previously had BT Infinity, who had provided me with an Openreach fibre modem (Huawei Echolife HG612), and a separate router (BT Home Hub 3). I stopped using the BT Home Hub 3 and replaced it with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Lite.

    What I want to acheive is to use the Now TV Hub Two as just a modem, the ER-X as the router and the UAP‑AC‑LITE as the wireless access point.

    Is this possible in general? What setting should I be looking for in the Settings to turn off the routing functions? According to the Now TV forums, it seems that certain settings are locked down by Now TV Broadband so I don't know if the setting I need is even available to change.

    If not, would it be possible to use my old Openreach fibre modem/ER-X/UAP‑AC‑LITE combo with Now TV Broadband? I don't really see why I can't use the Openreach fibre modem and not use the Now TV Hub Two at all. According to the forum, some say that The Now TV Hub Two must be used to to using MER authentication. I am not even sure what that is.

    The reason I am not asking this in the Now TV forum is because a lot of threads like this get hit with the old against T&Cs to use third-party equipment argument and end up going nowhere.

    I am fully aware I will be breaking the TOS by using my own equipment but this is not really a concern.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/AkashKS
    [link] [comments]

    Getting abysmal speeds with TP-Link switc

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    Hey home networking, I'm a lurker and I've been running into some problems with my tp-link tl-sf1005d. I have plugged my computer directly into the router and have been getting upwards of 100 mbps, but once put back onto the regular line i'm getting around 5 mbps down and a strange 10 mbps up. Is there anyway I can fix this switch or should I just get another switch?

    submitted by /u/Aggressivebomber
    [link] [comments]

    Protecting network cable

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 11:50 AM PDT

    I'm thinking about laying some network cables under the suspended floor of my house. How can I protect them from any mice and the like that might take a liking to them? I really don't fancy taking up the floor to replace cables.

    submitted by /u/AlienRepresentative
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to buy a router for my apartment and have no idea how to go about this. Help!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:47 PM PDT

    So I'm looking to buy a router to help save costs from my internet provider. I'm a pretty avid gamer and definitely like my devices. I'll be connected to a 100mbs fiber optic internet. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. I would like to keep it around $200 as well. Thanks in advance!

    Edit: if you're located around the Cincinnati area, I would love to learn more about networking in person. Tacos and beer/money in exchange

    submitted by /u/youngdukesilver
    [link] [comments]

    Made my own ethernet cable, significantly slower data transfer speeds

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:45 PM PDT

    Ok so I have an old ethernet cable connecting my NAS to my router. I've been having some issues streaming videos to my TV so I figured I mine as well buy some CAT 6 and create my own cable to see if the cable was the issue.

    I bought this CAT6 cable from Amazon as well as RJ45 caps. I wired my cables like this (here's a pic of one of one end) from this guide. So I wired my cable as a T-568B Straight-Through.

    Data transfers used to be about 112MB/s. Now, with my new cable, data transfers are only ~11.4MB/s. So about 10 times as slow. Ping seems to be about the same. I'm assuming I did wire everything correctly as otherwise I wouldn't be able to ping my router/transfer data at all, correct? I am 100% confident the wires are in the correct order.

    I'm assuming that CAT6 cabling wasn't actually CAT6 cabling?

    Any ideas what I may have done wrong? Took me a while, I have muscle tremors lol.

    submitted by /u/SynesthesiaBrah
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice] Home Network For Google Fibre

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:28 PM PDT

    So im moving into an apartment where ill have google fiber, and want to get the most out of my home network. Im planning on setting up a pfSense router on a small computer (like an older OptiPlex from dell) into a switch like this netgear one. Then as far as wirelss APs go, i was planning on one Ubiquiti Pro and thats about it.

    Id love to hear any advice. I also have a ProCurve 2510-48 switch which i could use, but I think it would be a bottleneck at a max on 1000Mbps for local file transfers.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mr_FluffyButtonsIIV
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use my ISP modem or use my own

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:03 PM PDT

    Trying to decide if I should use the modem my ISP (Spetrum) supplied (Arris TG1682) or use my own. What are some pros and cons of using the provided Arris vs using my own? Can I even use my own and would it have to be used with the Arris or could it be used by itself?

    submitted by /u/HandsOnDon90
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble with ISP's DHCP through a switch?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:50 PM PDT

    This is a recent problem, that started because "I messed with what was already working".

    I have a sort of "core switch" setup at home, where I have my WAN connected to port 1 (access port vlan 1000). From there, I have two vlan trunk ports that I connect into my router (a pfsense box). Those vlan trunk ports are various vlans, including vlan 1000 and my internal vlans.

    I recently realized that my main LAN and my WAN connections are physically on the same interface. So, I altered the config in pfsense to change my WAN connection from em0 to em1 (higher throughput for internet traffic, in theory).

    I had moved these vlans around before, and never had any problem. After a brief waiting, things would eventually come back up. But that is not the case for my WAN connection anymore, even when I return to the original configuration. I'm baffled as to what is wrong!

    Simplified Picture of internet traffic flow:

    [Cable Modem] -> [Port1 (access vlan1000)] -> [Port2 (trunk, vlans 10, 1000)] -> [nic 1 (trunk, vlans 10, 1000)]

    Again, changing the config back to the original port also no longer works!

    I have eliminated pfsense from being an issue here-- I plugged sw port 2 into my laptop, setup a vlan tagged 1000, and attempted to get an external IP on it with no luck.

    I've ran packet capture on the port, and I successfully see other broadcast traffic (lots of arp requests) from the external WAN.

    I've mapped another port on my switch just just be a vlan 1000 access port, and cabled it direct into my pfsense (a normal nic port, no vlans), and am still unable to get an address this way!

    I've tried force DHCP releases, etc. So I don't think the ISP/cable modem thinks I'm trying to get 2 DHCP leases on my connection, but I have no way of knowing what is going on from their side. I am sure that this is the only system on vlan1000, there are not multiple MACs on the same vlan.

    The ONLY configuration that is working, is if I cable the cable modem directly into a port on my pfsense. It then gets a DHCP address right away, and everything is good. All other VLANs and routing (router on a stick configuration) are working without any problem. I'm pretty well versed in networking in general, I'm highly confident my configurations are all correct, believe me, I've checked everything.

    My next course of action is to contact the ISP and see if they can support me. I actually need to get this working again. And if they can't help (or have no idea what I'm talking about), I might just buy a static IP from them.

    For reference, here is the switch configuration for the ports involved:

    interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 switchport access vlan 1000 switchport mode access ! interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11,30,192,1000 switchport mode trunk ! interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11,30,192,1000 switchport mode trunk 

    Any ideas? Any help is appreciated!

    TL,DR: It seems my ISP's WAN connection will not hand out DHCP addresses whenever it is connected to a router through a switch. But it has worked just fine up until now. And I can see other broadcast traffic from the WAN. pfSense is not the issue.

    submitted by /u/electrofreak
    [link] [comments]

    Will a faster WiFi adapter hog all the bandwidth?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:31 AM PDT

    You guys may recognize my username from a post I made yesterday.

    If you were one of the people that answered my post I just wanted to thank you. I was able to decide on the AC68 WiFi adapter thanks to you guys.

    The only thing that is holding me back from purchasing it is my fear that I will be hogging up all the bandwidth.

    I currently share with anywhere from 2-3 other friends in the house. I refuse to make my own internet speeds faster at the expense of everyone else in this house, as we all share the bill.

    I am currently on a 1 Gb plan with a 5G router. The router is a Hitron CODA-4582. Our channel is 160 or 161.

    My friends all mostly use the internet to stream (Netflix and Youtube), play videogames, and browse the internet.

    Thank you in advance to anyone who took the time to read this post.

    submitted by /u/WlOoLgVaEnRhIeNaEs
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS RT-AC86U - Dropping 5Ghz after Firmware update?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:33 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I have an ASUS RT-AC86U, which has been working perfectly until two days ago when I updated the firmware to the current version (3.0.0.4.384_20648-g21e3702).

    Since then, I've been getting regular disconnections on the 5Ghz band. Sometimes the devices can reconnect, but once I needed to turn the 5Ghz radio off on the router and then on again before any devices could reconnect.

    I've tried a good amount of tinkering (rebooting, different channels, etc.) but nothing seems to help.

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DuckOnBike
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Ethernet Problem

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:01 PM PDT

    I have searched all over online to see if I could find a similar problem and haven't had much luck. My gaming PC (desktop I built with a friend a few years ago) seems have this problem where the Ethernet connection will drop out for a few seconds (anywhere from 5-15 seconds) before reconnecting. I also have my computer connected to our router wirelessly through WiFi and when these "drops" in connectivity happens, my PC will immediately switch over to WiFi and keep working. It is because of this I am thinking that it is not my ISP that is dropping our connection because our network obviously still works.

    It's not even a major problem. When I'm just surfing the web I barely even notice it happening, but when gaming, this momentary loss in connection from when the Ethernet goes out to when my WiFi connects and back again a few seconds later is a huge issue. I have no idea if this is an issue with my network or maybe even the Ethernet port on my motherboard.

    If anyone has ever heard of a similar problem or knows of how I could test and determine what my true issue is, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Emerald-Guardian
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to extend my WiFi signal by using a second router?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 02:33 PM PDT

    I have a few old routers lying around and my signal strength is very weak when I'm upstairs. I'm hoping one could work off the other

    submitted by /u/smirky_doc
    [link] [comments]

    Small Business (10 people) - Microsoft Server 2008 or NAS?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:29 AM PDT

    So, since this post was kicked from Networking maybe you'll be more lenient here.

    We're currently working with a Microsoft Server 2008 and an Exchange server for the email and imo it blows. I don't really know how to service/work with the Server 2008 and Exchange becoming more and more troublesome with each passing day.

    Since we have about 10/14 workstations connected in the network I was wondering if it isn't a more viable/easier option to have the server converted to a NAS-like situation than an actual server. What would the benefits be of a Server compared to a NAS? For the end-user it would seem that a NAS acts the same way as a Server.

    Was also thinking of switching from Exchange to Office365 (or something similar) but that's a different question.

    submitted by /u/AbsentiaMentis
    [link] [comments]

    Is the ASUS AC88U Router enough for Gigabit Internet?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:36 PM PDT

    I have everything installed, I'm only getting 600 Megs down. I'm wondering if it has to do with my Asus Router, or if it's on the ISP's end

    submitted by /u/Jadencallaway
    [link] [comments]

    Proxy Server on VPN Network Adapter

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:24 AM PDT

    Hey Guys, So recently I've been using a paid VPN for gaming on my PS4( lower latency on VPN ) . I connect to my VPN and share it's network adapter via ICS on LAN.

    Now I want to make a proxy server based on that VPN Virtual Adapter and then use those proxy settings on my PS4 ( which will be connected to our router instead of directly ICS via LAN )

    TLDR : I want to make a proxy server on my VPN to adapter so my ps4 can use it through the network.

    submitted by /u/TheAwesomeKhan
    [link] [comments]

    packet loss with fragmentation

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:25 PM PDT

    When I attempt to upload files to dropbox.com with Chrome, it is painfully slow. A packet capture shows retransmissions. I believe I only experience packet loss when the packets are fragmented. How can I prevent PDUs larger than the MTU(1500) from being sent?

    A packet capture can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0zj071ycvcdtx5/dropbox_upload.pcap 10.11.57.107 is the IP of my Linux workstation.

    Any assistance or guidance is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/talurker
    [link] [comments]

    Help, have problems using Moonlight gamestreaming

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:21 PM PDT

    I opened all the ports, my second router is in AP-Mode and i cant connect over the internet.
    Only with my local ip.
    What could be wrong?

    submitted by /u/_xXpewdiepieShrekXx_
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Networking Questions

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 11:00 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I recently decided to upgrade my home network from an Arris AIO (from spectrum) to a Ubiquiti system after a lot of lurking on this subreddit and a few others. However, I have been having a tough time getting it up and running. The plan was to put the AIO into bridge mode and then connect to the USG which would have an AP lite connected.

    Coming into this I have no real (work/school) experience, it's just a hobby which I am pretty new to. I've tried following along with directions and various forum posts, but haven't been able to get anything working. I can follow very clear instructions, but if any improvisation is needed I get lost.

    At this point I can't even get the USG adopted. I can find the USG in the controller and when I click adopt it just gets stuck in an endless loop of "adopting" and then "disconnecting."

    I'm starting to think I bit off more than I could chew. Does anyone have any good resources (aside from the sidebar, I read through the beginner post) which would really break down the ins and outs of networking basics? I definitely need to learn a few things so I'm not just trying random fixes and hoping for the best.

    Thanks!

    EDIT:

    The modem (before bridging) was at 192.168.0.1

    The USG was at the default 192.168.1.1

    The Controller running on my PC was also set to 192.168.1.1 (it has to be on the same IP as the USG, correct?)

    More Details: While writing out the IPs I realized something. When i was originally getting everything setup I had the modem/router directly connected to my PC and to the USG. The PC was then connected directly to the modem (to maintain internet) and USG (to attempt to set it up). After placing the controller at 192.186.1.1 I logged into the USG directly by going to http://192.168.1.1 and tried to set it up using the DHCP settings. I attempted to use the controller IP (same as the USG because they have to be on the same subnet, correct?), but it did not work. However, before the modem was bridged, the USG would auto fill in the info from the modem (using 192.168.0.1) and would say it was connected to the internet. In the controller on the PC the USG would appear and I could click "adopt," but would then get stuck in the loop of adopting and connecting.

    At this point I was thinking that there was some interference with the modem not yet being bridged so I decided to bridge it and then start over. I went into the modem settings, turned off wifi and then set it to bridge mode. I turned it off and on, then turned the USG off and on. At this point things were connected as follows:

    modem/bridge (no IP assigned) - > USG -> PC. I kept the PC at 192.168.1.1 and then attempted to set the USG to 192.168.1.1 (which it shouldn't even need setting since 192.168.1.1 is the default though, right?) however was unable to ever get it to work, no matter what info I used, it kept failing on the USG side. On the controller side it just showed the USG as disconnected. I tried using different IPs on both the controller and the USG but could not get the USG to connect to the internet and go "green" nor could I get it adopted.

    This is where I stopped as I no longer had any real idea what to do. I tried googling around, but couldn't find anything that helped. It's probably because I'm doing some very basic thing wrong, I just don't know what that is.

    submitted by /u/youhavebeenMARKed
    [link] [comments]

    If you had to choose a Mesh System, which one?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:30 AM PDT

    I know ideally the best way is to hard-wire everything but what if your limited to what you can hard-wire? For example, router/AP placements are limited, household is just filled more with wireless devices, and time/money. If you had to go with a mesh system, which would you go with?

    submitted by /u/regmeyster
    [link] [comments]

    Re-use keystone?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:28 AM PDT

    I renovated my house and failed to have the electrician mark in the room all the ethernet cables end in which go where. When connecting the cables to the patch panel and then the switch I'd like to organize them in a logical format (group them by rooms, and by device area). I have a small kit with everything I need to strip and terminate the ethernet cables, and a tester. I'm trying to think of a way of tracking down which cables go where, and I was thinking I could terminate everything in their rooms, and then terminate each cable in the room where the network equipment will be in order to test the cable.

    Can keystones be reused like this? Is there an alternative way that is better, or easier?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JhnWyclf
    [link] [comments]

    Can I connect as many AP as I want to my router?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    Can I connect as many AP as I want to my router or do I have some sort of limitations?

    submitted by /u/iamfeelings
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel