• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, April 19, 2018

    Home Networking New construction low voltage

    Home Networking New construction low voltage


    New construction low voltage

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 03:18 PM PDT

    We are building a new home and able to run our own low voltage. I was thinking probably cat6a to most rooms but not sure if it's worth running coax. We cut the cord years ago so we stream everything. Any pros to running coax? Any resources available for more info?

    submitted by /u/scotty919
    [link] [comments]

    My home gigabit ubiquiti setup

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:00 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/kJIOtM7.jpg

     

    Gear list -

    Arris SB8200 gigabit modem

    Extreme Infinity Promise unity gain coax amp

    Ubiquiti Unifi security gateway

    Ubiquiti Unifi 8 port switch POE 150w

    Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-PRO (ceiling mounted)

    Ubiquiti Unifi cloud key

    Philips Hue smart lighting hub

    12-port keystone punch panel from Amazon

    Metal networking box from Amazon

     

    Recently became a homeowner and did a basic remodel that involved opening a couple walls. Took the opportunity to scrap out all the old coax and telephone lines from the 90s and run ~500 feet of new CAT 6 and RG6 myself.

     

    An old ISP originally wired up the house, then previous owners had dish come out and laid all their coax on top of that, then Comcast came out and laid even MORE coax. It was a rats nest and it was a guessing game to figure out what went where.

     

    Now everything terminates into my utility room in the basement, runs out to the garage and up to the attic where it is distributed to all the rooms. Access point is ceiling mounted in the middle of the house.

     

    Works great! Blown away how professional the ubiquiti stuff runs. Well worth the price tag IMO.

    Edit- wow thank you guys for all the feedback. Good and bad. I'm always looking to improve and learn more so I appreciate the comments. Keep em coming.

    submitted by /u/mystical_croissant
    [link] [comments]

    Need a reality check. New house, considering new setup.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 05:17 PM PDT

    SITUATION: I purchased my first house a few months ago and recently had 1000/50 internet installed... technically not fiber yet, but I believe true fiber is coming my way in the not so distant future. I will be upgrading to it when available. The house is ~2,100 sq feet, 2 story, built in 2001, 3 bedrooms + 1 office. 2 of the bedrooms are upstairs and don't get used that often. The master bed, living room, and office are on the ground level and most used areas.

    As of right now all I'm using my ISP's modem, and a TP-Link AC1900 router that works fine.

    EXPERIENCE: I do not have a ton of direct networking experience, but I've been a PC hardware enthusiast for the last 20 years. I know enough to be dangerous.

    VISION:

    • 4+ Ethernet drops to living room/HTPC area (Hardwired HTPC & Nvidia Shield for 4k video playback)
    • 5+ Ethernet drops to office (I like to host small LAN parties, and run a dual PC setup myself)
    • 2+ Ethernet drops to master bed since I use a TV in there (this wall is shared with the living room where the TV/HTPC is setup on the other side)
    • Undecided on Ethernet drops to the upstairs bedrooms (this would really depend on the cost of install)
    • Stable 5G Wi-Fi coverage through whole house, backyard patio, garage etc.
    • 2-3 PoE Security Cameras for front and back of house
    • NAS storage for HTPC playback, security footage DVR & mini personal cloud
    • Smart lights/lock integration
    • Overall speed/stability

    EQUIPMENT:

    These are my current thoughts on how I see the system building out

    • Ubiquiti USG
    • Ubiquiti Cloud Key
    • Ubiquiti UniFi 16 or 24 PoE Switch
    • Ubiquiti UAP AC Pro
    • Synology DS418 with WD Red's
    • Ubiquiti Video Camera G3 x2

    QUESTIONS & CONCERNS:

    • If I went with a full network build, I don't have a great central location where I can envision a network rack for all of the equipment. My laundry room is kinda central on the first floor, and my 2 car garage is only a few feet from the laundry room but I would say it's not central. Are there specific things to look for in terms of location for a rack?
    • I'm having a few local companies come out and give me a free assessment on what it might cost to do the install.. any questions that I should ask them that I might overlook?
    • Cost is always a factor so if I can achieve the same thing for less, please take me to school.
    • If it was your house and your network, knowing all I want to accomplish... would you do it any other way?

    Thanks for your time and consideration.

    submitted by /u/PrometheuSBoxeR
    [link] [comments]

    How to use a different router on uverse?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 04:09 PM PDT

    A friend of mine is having issues with his uverse gateway, which i believe is an arris nvg599. He says that the range is horrible and using a booster doesn't help at all. He also has uverse tv and the stbs are connected to three ports and only the fourth one is available. How can he use his own router, which is an asus (not sure of the model) so he can be able to have wifi all over the home?

    submitted by /u/MoodyPing
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for proper Mini-PCIe to PCIe adapter card for WiFi and Bluetooth.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:04 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have this Mini-PCIe to PCIe adapter currently and am using it with this card. I recently bought this card to upgrade my wifi and get bluetooth as well. I thought the card wasn't working properly. I tried everything, including the pin 51 and/or pin 20 trick with scotch tape. I returned it thinking it was defective, but I bought this one from eBay and it exhibits the same problems.

     

    Now I'm thinking that my adapter is the problem, maybe it doesn't have the necessary hardware or something small that I don't know about. In the past, I've dabbled in hackintoshing and wifi/bluetooth issues are quite common. I've seen many people buying these type of adapters with USB headers to get bluetooth to work. I don't know the logic or reasoning behind that though I'm sure there's a definite reason for it. Does anyone know if that's the case for me or can I buy another adapter without the USB header and still have functioning bluetooth? WiFi works perfectly fine, but bluetooth doesn't and that's pissing me off.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/abdullahcfix
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the Mikrotik version of the ERX/L?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:46 PM PDT

    I've now had two ERLs die on me. I'm so dam sick of it.

    What's the closest thing to an ERL in a Mikrotik. Mainly I'm looking for the ability to do close to basic gigabit NAT. Don't need WiFi or anything like that.

    submitted by /u/JunkyDunkyMunkey
    [link] [comments]

    Wake On LAN

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 02:56 PM PDT

    I have a laptop (windows 7) hardwired to my router (Archer C7). I have WOL enabled on the laptop and the port forwarded in the router settings. I can wake-up the laptop when I'm on the same LAN, but if I am away from the house, it won't work. Anyone have ideas?

    submitted by /u/hockeymachine86
    [link] [comments]

    Is my router broken?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:40 PM PDT

    I moved recently. I used to have a second wireless router set up in the back of the house because the wifi signal sucked back there. Anyway, my point is that it worked fine there. I'm not sure if it was damaged in the move or something else, but now the router doesn't work at all. When I plug in the power all of the LEDs light up and flash constantly. I cannot access the router via LAN. I have a video of the lights if the sequence means anything. It's a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbWzuX7F7f8

    submitted by /u/TheRealBeardface
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice] Mesh system overkill or router + an access point for two-story unit?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:24 PM PDT

    I've been struggling with getting internet throughout two floors lately. My apartment and my neighbours above me (shared internet).

    I purchased the D-Link COVR AC3900 for a wicked deal with a price match from Best Buy totalling me $200 CAD. It looks like this system resolved my connectivity issues throughout our place but had me wondering was there a more cost effective way to do this?

    My ISPs provided modem is at the front of my house where neighbours experience poor connectivity above me. I have a 75ft cat 5e ethernet cable running from the modem to the center of my home to give my PC internet access directly. Does it make more sense to have a router connected to the modem at the front of the home and another router as an access point (two TP Link archer C7's for this example, I already own one) connected via the ethernet cable at the center?

    Would my devices connect to the strongest signal? Or would I have to pick and choose which router I need to connect to based on where I am in the home? Not sure how devices connect to the strongest signal when using a router as an AP.

    submitted by /u/pk613
    [link] [comments]

    Need Some Basic Help With Deciding on New ISP

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 10:23 AM PDT

    I'm sure this post has been made a million times, if so feel free to link any previous posts. Basically, I suggested to my parents that we upgrade our internet as long as I find out the best option sort of speak. Currently we have Talk talk and are paying for around 18 Mbps. I'm not sure on the pricing but we've had it for a few years and I imagine there are much better value for money offers. My room is 2 floors above the router and I use a homeplug to connect my pc to the internet. Doing this I get around 12-13 Mbps download and around 0.6 Mbps upload. Here is my list of questions:

    1) Is there an easy way of checking available ISPs in my area?

    2) Does the ISP really matter in terms of speeds and connection?

    3) If I were to use Ethernet, how effective would a non stock ISP router be?

    4) How simple is it to change ISPs? That's my parents main concern is a bunch of hassle and it somehow not working properly.

    5)Do all Ethernet (same cat number) cables give the same effectiveness or would a more expensive one give better results?

    6)I can't remember the name for it, but it's when you cut the end of the cable off to fit the required needs. How difficult is that to do?

    Thanks for reading this, I appreciate all the help I can get.

    submitted by /u/UnusedIdeas
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix slow internet on Ubuntu 16.04 when using NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless [realtek RTL8187B]?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 01:25 PM PDT

    It's working really well on Windows 7 and 8 but really slow on Linux! Any missing packages to install or drivers?

    submitted by /u/ASamir
    [link] [comments]

    Lag spikes across all games when connected to router.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 12:34 PM PDT

    My brother says he has no problems. We're both using ethernet cables. I've tried all the ports, swapping cables, but it doesn't help. If I plug straight into the modem I can play fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm at the point where I just want to reformat and pray.

    submitted by /u/kaasmi
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a router that supports 15+ devices

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 12:01 PM PDT

    Hey all. So my internet has been going out every so often and web pages load very slowly. I replaced the modem yesterday and the issue is still there which leads me to believe its the router. I have the Linksys Max-Stream AC2200. Only had it since December.

    Im looking for a router under $250 that can support 15+ devices in a large home. Mostly game consoles and PC gaming.

    submitted by /u/Steeler1994
    [link] [comments]

    Spectrum internet constantly drops

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 11:23 AM PDT

    So i have Spectrum internet with an Arris TM1602A modem and a Sagemcom Fast 5260 router and for the past year i have suffered constant wifi drops on both the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz signals at the same time. We've had the router and modem replaced multiple times but the issue still persists. I've noticed that when i direct connect via Ethernet that the signal is perfect and never drops or lags. This is becoming so frustrating because it's at the worst it has ever been. I've tried changing the channel on the router but that doesn't help either. Is there any other solution to help me with this? Also it seems MOST stable when I'm not playing my ps4. When i do play, it seems to drop more often.

    submitted by /u/dedrock156
    [link] [comments]

    ISP doesnt natively support IPv6 should I disable it on my router?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 10:03 AM PDT

    So I have a netgear r7000 router. 100/100 fiber optic internet through Frontier fios.

    I currently have ipv6 enabled in the router settings (192.168.1.1) and it shows that the connection type is 6to4 tunnel. I have routers ipv6 address on lan set to auto config and it populates an address.

    Should I just disable this all together since frontier currently does not support ipv6??? Is it hurting me by leaving it enabled?

    submitted by /u/WhoFuckinFarted_
    [link] [comments]

    Router can't connect to modem after ISP changed my public ip.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 09:55 AM PDT

    So I have spectrum and my own router and modem,(Asus router running merlin, modem compliant with their list) last night my internet went out and my router kept saying there was something wrong with my ISPs DHCP and I kept getting the prompt that I have to log into my ISP to connect to the internet (not true). I updated the firmware and reset the router multiple times and nothing worked. I plugged a laptop directly into the modem and got service no problem. Thats when I noticed they changed my public ip. I found an old router and hooked that up and it had issues at first but after resetting the modem I got it to work. I tried to the same with my current router and ran into the same issues as before.

    Edit: Solved- Did some digging and found out my modem would only allow 1 device to connect. (The first one it connects to after a reboot.) Tried a router and modem reset again today and now it's working. I'm guessing the service was down/having issues for about an hour or so and thats why this method didn't work initially.

    submitted by /u/Zobrem
    [link] [comments]

    Help with AsusWRT Adaptive QOS

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 08:41 AM PDT

    I have Merlin's AsusWRT on my RT-AC88U and I'm trying to use Adaptive QOS, but the problem I run into is that WiFi calls from everyone's cell phones (UDP port 4500) are detected as "Betternet VPN" traffic, which prevents me from prioritizing WiFi calls as VOIP. I tried installing the FreshJR Adaptive QOS script, which went without a hitch, but the WiFi calling traffic is still classified incorrectly.

    Am I at the mercy of TrendMicro's crappy classifications, or is there something else I can try?

    submitted by /u/837498706
    [link] [comments]

    Need new router

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 08:20 AM PDT

    I need a new router and was going to buy a Netgear R6700 but I was told all the good reviews on Amazon are for a model that n longer is made and instead I would get an R6700v2, which is less dependable. I have a small home wifi network fr about 10 devices. Cable service provides 200mb download and much slower upload speed. Any suggestions for dependable AC router?

    submitted by /u/billbooky
    [link] [comments]

    Sonos on Subnet / MAC Restricted

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:03 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    I was asked by a friend to come up with an audio distribution alternative for Sonos, the main reason being they specifically do not allow for any feature to restrict pairing access. The environment is actually small-medium office and they've already had issues with people pairing into Sonos units playing whatever they want etc. However there isn't any other well rounded solution for actually linking to streaming services. (squeezebox is not polished for use by hands off end users and doesn't have support for spotify)

    So is there a solution win which I can have a seperate router/gateway of some kind that patches into the main network but only allows communication from certain devices? Obviously have to allow for direct connection to the outside internet as well for streaming.

    Any advice would be very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Thedirtyjersey
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Freepbx server for my home. Will this work with my regular telephone service?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:23 AM PDT

    I would like to use (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-SPA3102-Phone-Adapter-with-Router-1-FXO-1-FXS-VoIP-phone-adapter-Gateway/272668192787?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211709%26meid%3De5a25a8163424a5b94630e998158279c%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D272668192787&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226)[this device] to route my ipphone's calls over my regular telephone line.

    Will this work?

    And if so, is there anything else I'm going to need other than my telphone line and a router.

    Also my line 1 and 2 come over the same telephone line. Is that going to be a problem?

    submitted by /u/execexe
    [link] [comments]

    New apartment - Coaxial, Cameras and Switches

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:06 AM PDT

    I'm renovating an apartment and was able to run multiple ethernet runs and coaxial to every room in the house. I also have a handful of runs to the outside for some IP cameras. I've got some questions I was hoping this community could answer.

    Cameras

    I know there is some concern with backdoors with Hikvision, however everyone seems to like their quality. I would likely just have it record local and then open a port/vpn so I can view on a an ip camera app on my phone. Is there a specific outdoor camera someone could recommend. I've been looking at bullet cameras however I'm not sure what the difference is between dome/bullet. I bought my parents a Swann 4 Platinum HD 4 cam system which hasn't been installed yet. They suggested I use that but I'm worried about the quality of the system. Are ubiquity cameras recommended? My budget is $600 for 5 cameras.

    When hooking up the cameras to the switch. I plan to have a ubiquity system with a 48 port non-POE system and then an 8 port POE switch for the cameras. Would I chain the 8 port poe off of the 48 port switch. Or should I just have both switches plugged right into the router?

    Coaxial

    I have about 15 runs in the house. What's the best splitter to distribute the main line outside throughout the house. Most of the coaxial runs were placed throughout the apartment in case I want to change my furniture set up, so the majority wont be used. Do I need a booster or a power distributor?

    Appreciate the help.

    submitted by /u/Ironfall96
    [link] [comments]

    Cable modem issues

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 06:02 AM PDT

    I'm paying Spectrum for 60/something up/down, but lately it's been intermittent; the speed will go down, and my ping times skyrocket. I tried replacing the coaxial cable to the modem (a Netgear CM500), which fixed it for a while, but it's come back; yesterday I noticed that an animal had chewed through a chunk of cable, so I replaced that. I looked at the modem status, which showed a lot of unbonded channels, and lots of uncorrectables on the bonded channels. I googled around, but found that in other cases with this problem, there was noise on the line, or not enough power, neither of which seem to be the problem here. So I ask you, Reddit, any idea what the problem is? Or do I need to get Spectrum to send out a tech?

    Modem status: https://imgur.com/a/uSWsOz6

    submitted by /u/jaltair9
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware and software requirements for network tapping multiple connections

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 04:01 AM PDT

    I have multiple network connections which I need to monitor ideally passively. In most cases there is only low network traffic well below 100mbps, with the exception of one line with traffic between 100mbit and 1 gbit.

    The LAN cable will be split and a TX and RX breakout will go to separate ports on a switch, for the gigabit line fiber and SFP will be used. Similar like the pic on the bottom of this page: https://ntop.org/pf_ring/port-mirror-vs-network-tap/

    The switch will then send the packages over a single! ethernet cable to a PC running wireshark which analyzes the different connections separately

    First of all, will this setup work generally? Since I never dealt with switches before I don't know if I am missing something.

    How do I need to setup the switch so that it reassembles TX and RX from on connection again to one stream which then goes to wireshark? Can wireshark deal with multiple streams from different connections arriving on the same network interface?

    I also don't know which kind of switch to buy. In the best case it is fanless, low power has ~24 ports + some SFP ports. There are cheap netgear gs724t on ebay but I don't know if they are any good or suitable for my purpose?

    submitted by /u/esskeeit
    [link] [comments]

    Why does restarting my modem resolve my slow download speeds?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 03:51 AM PDT

    A couple of things before I get into this...

    1. I believe I've correctly narrowed this down to an issue with my modem. I have a Netgear CG3000v2 DOCSIS modem provided by my ISP which I'm effectively using as a switch for my Windows server and NAS. Wifi has been turned off on this so I can use an external AP instead.

    2. I have a D-Link 1665 AC access point broacasting two SSIDs (one 2.5Ghz and a 5Ghz). All my devices are on the 5Ghz network which has resolved the majority of my bottlenecking issues caused by crowded channels from neighbouring networks. I can get local file transfer speeds of 10MB/s over wifi from my laptop to my NAS (even when I'm noticing the internet is slow).

    3. Whenever I notice things are running slowly on my home internet, I run a download/upload test on speedtest.net. On a good day I get 30Mb/s, but when it's bad I get 10-12Mb/s for days at a time (partially thanks to my country's sh!tty internet). Again, local transfer speeds are unchanged. This will happen even if I'm the only one on the network.

    I do the majority of my internet browsing in the room next to the AP, so I don't believe signal range is an issue. I've also run speedtests from multiple devices including my phone and my desktop, so I don't believe it's an issue with my laptop.

    When I restart the modem (not the AP) everything returns to normal and the internet is fast again. What's happening here, is there an issue with my modem or should I be inquiring about this with my ISP?

    submitted by /u/DanV_Rev9
    [link] [comments]

    Question for someone unsure of problem

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 03:11 AM PDT

    So I have been streaming on twitch lately and noticing a drop in frames on OBS as well as some lag on my stream. I have been to multiple support chats nad help from friends but most say usually its my connection. I recently just changed from Spectrum to WOW! cable and currently get 100mb download and 10mb upload. The settings I run on OBS are HVENC encoder, 2500 bit rate, 30FPS and 1280x720 resolution. Here are my PC specs:

    R7 1700 8 core 16 thread cpu Gtx 1060 6gb video card 16 Gb of ram 256GB m.2 NVME ssd 1 TB Hdd AB350 Motherboard

    Some of the game s I run are Overwatch, PUBG and various strategy games. I alos have the router that was given by the cable company (not sure if a new router and what one would improve this situation) and using 2 60hx monitors (does upgrading to 120 or 144hz help as well?)

    If anyone is able to help resolve this issue that would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FancySadFace
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel