• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, April 21, 2018

    Home Networking I got into a feud with my local ISP, so I upped my wireless 4G data plan (using a Linkzone MW41) and connected my router (dlink 601) to it with a wireless bridge (Vonets). Web browsing seems to work OK when the VPN (PIA) is on, but slow as tar without the VPN.

    Home Networking I got into a feud with my local ISP, so I upped my wireless 4G data plan (using a Linkzone MW41) and connected my router (dlink 601) to it with a wireless bridge (Vonets). Web browsing seems to work OK when the VPN (PIA) is on, but slow as tar without the VPN.


    I got into a feud with my local ISP, so I upped my wireless 4G data plan (using a Linkzone MW41) and connected my router (dlink 601) to it with a wireless bridge (Vonets). Web browsing seems to work OK when the VPN (PIA) is on, but slow as tar without the VPN.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:34 PM PDT

    OK, so that's pretty much all the major details. So long as I keep PIA running, the web pages load quickly. Strangely, Alexa and magicJack also work just fine on this system even though they cannot connect to the VPN. Any thoughts on how to optimize this arrangement so I don't have to rely as heavily on the VPN for web browsing?

    So you're probably asking "If it's working, then what's the problem?" Well, some websites don't like PIA very much. I use Duck Duck Go most of the time, but Google keeps asking me to prove I'm human and I'm getting really tired of clicking on street signs. Netflix and Amazon video straight up don't like the VPN, and I have to disable it to watch shows on either of them. Plus, I just want to know if there is a "more correct" way of doing this.

    Oh, in case anyone's getting bent out of shape about me using a wireless data plan for home internet, listen, I'm paying for the data and tethering is 100% allowed with my carrier. I pay $50/month for 20 Gigabytes of 4G/LTE data and unlimited 2g, and yes, the 2g really sucks. Still, it's actually cheaper than the $60/month my ISP was charging, and the 4G/LTE has been very reliable here, so I seriously doubt I'll be going back to the land line anytime soon.

    Also, I'd like to keep my router in place because I have 3 wired systems, and since a few computers are sharing files, I'd like to keep those private bits off the open net.

    Thanks for anything you can tell me about making this work better!

    submitted by /u/VirginCutter
    [link] [comments]

    Can an ethernet run be too long for the signal to be picked up?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 01:13 PM PDT

    For some reason I can't get any ethernet signal on the two ports that I've set up on the second floor. I recently repurposed my Cat5e phone lines to be used for ethernet. I got an access point up and running on the first floor with the modem/router/switch in the basement.

    I tried to connect my computer on the second floor first via a port in the closet then via one in the room. Neither worked. I tried plugging in an old access point just to see if it would pick up a signal, but it didn't. So then I went to the basement and plugged in the old access point into the switch directly and it worked there.

    Based off of these tests I'm assuming that the Cat5e runs are faulty, but at the same time I tested them with a cable tester and the tester lights up green for all 8 wires. Anyone ever deal with a similar issue?

    submitted by /u/ZephyrPro
    [link] [comments]

    looking for a new solution

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:52 PM PDT

    I'm continuing to struggle with my hardware at home. It feels like every year or so my router dies. The symptoms are that the router will stop working and require frequent resets. The latest occurred this morning with the wifi radios quitting on me. At first it was just the 2.4 then playing around and a few resets later I lost the 5 too. Luckily many of my devices are hard wired and I'm still connected to the outside world.

    Currently running Netgear X6 R7900. Reading online it seems like the dead radios are common among the Netgear products. Previous to this were 2 D-links and before that was a Linksys. Comcast is my ISP. We are heavy data users consuming close to our 1TB limit every month. 4500sqft house, 3 floors, wired with cat6, including a central location for an AP. Have never had issues with wifi coverage throughout the house but our big data consumers are all hard wired.

    I ordered a the Google wifi system out of frustration this morning, seems like the mesh tech is popular. As I was reading more throughout the day I was wondering if getting into a Ubiquiti Unifi system would be a better solution. I'm thinking a USG and one of their APs to start and see how that goes. I want something with good performance but on top of that I need stability and longevity.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/avebelle
    [link] [comments]

    Devices on network switch don't see each other?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:49 PM PDT

    Trying to figure out why my devices on a network switch don't see each other but wireless devices see them? It all ultimately relates to media and streaming TV, but I don't want to get too far into the weeds on details unless they're requested/helpful.

    I can run everything over wifi, but introduced a network switch so more things could be hard-wired and reduce the load on the (Google) wifi network itself. Each individual piece worked, but they couldn't see each other to work together (i.e., play the media stored elsewhere, or have the tuner and the separate DVR communicate). What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/stephm609
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Legrand On-Q

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:31 PM PDT

    We just bought a house and I'm going to be running a wired network. I want to put a pair of speakers in the garage so I can listen to music while I work. I'd like to be able to listen to Pandora and my iTunes library. Which On-Q modules do I need? I'm still working on picking out an enclosure and a switch (looking at Ubiquiti 8port) so any recommendations there are welcome also. Other relevant info: I'm an apprentice electrician, we have AT&T Fiber for internet, I'm running Cat6a cable.

    submitted by /u/celinaria
    [link] [comments]

    Do have a flawed understanding PIA VPN

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:02 PM PDT

    I'm in Vietnam on vacation. I use PIA app on my Google Pixel 2 XL. It currently says I'm using auto connection and am connected to a California server.

    I connected to my Home Automation system via an app on my phone to check on something. Shortly after that, I received an email from the home automation system talking about a new un-recognized login from Vietnam and gave me the IP address that is a Vietnam IP address assigned to the cable service i'm using.

    So how is this possible

    My understanding was that my connections should be appearing from the California server which shows me a public address in the app

    I also email PIA for support and am waiting to hear from them

    submitted by /u/wietoolow
    [link] [comments]

    Moving Into 6 Person House

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:45 PM PDT

    So me and my wife are moving back into her mom's for a short while. That will make 6 people in 1 house with 6 phones, 4 laptops, 2 printers, 2 tablets, and 3 PS4 and 1 PS3, and a Amazon fire stick (original model) all running off of 1 router/modem. I was thinking about getting my own router/modem and internet package so that we would have our own to run off of and I could get a 400MB download package. Would that be a good idea or should all of us on that 1 work?

    Or if 1 router could work then I can just up my mother in law's internet package to 1GB download and pay for the difference.

    submitted by /u/Darkshaggy666
    [link] [comments]

    I have a home server that a long-distance friend downloads from, he only gets <1 Mbps even though the server is uploading 6 Mbps

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:37 PM PDT

    I just set an upload limit for the server, otherwise it saturates my upload and the rest of my internet goes to a crawl. But even when my ~6 Mbps upload was saturated, he only got maybe 800 Kbps. And when I set a limit of 2 Mbps, his download was accordingly cut in third to ~250 Kbps.

    I assume there's packet loss somewhere along the way, but I have no idea how to solve it if that's even possible. We both did a tracert to each other, and both started timing out after 10 hops or so and never finished. I live in the US and he's in Germany. Any ideas on where to even start?

    I realize this is a problem outside my home network so sorry if this is the wrong sub. Also, so happy I finally got UniFi gear which allowed me to discover the problem by looking at the graphs :D

    submitted by /u/mechakreidler
    [link] [comments]

    Internet crashes when under load

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 10:35 AM PDT

    I'm using a Vtech NB403 modem/router, the infrastructure here and my ISP uses VDSL2 networking. (related to ADSL in some way, but I don't know how) Speed is 100mb/s but we get around 70mb/s usually.

    Whenever anyone puts heavy load on the internet, which means downloading or watching an HD stream, the entire network stops working for about 30-40 seconds. The modem will then send you to our ISP's "login page" which will ask us to restart the router.

    We've had infrastructure technicians come and check the box outside, tried using a new router/modem, we tried changing to a different ISP, so far no luck.

    Anyone has any suggestions to what I can do? I live in a place with jack shit to do outside and when the internet drops my house is just a shelter in a desert with access to water.

    submitted by /u/sheepyowl
    [link] [comments]

    Can't access IP Cam on new network?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    I recently moved to a new apartment complex which provides 100/100 Internet to each apartment, via an Ethernet jack. It has all been working fine, with no speed problems, or connection issues with video games on PC or console and so forth.

    However, I use an IP Cam to monitor my pets when I'm out of town and for some reason it just won't work on this new connection. I can view the cam locally by inputting its local IP, but I cannot seem to connect to it when using my public IP.

    I'm using an Edgerouter X and the port for the IP cam is already configured, and worked fine in my previous apartment (where I had my own cable connection); but it doesn't seem to work here, for some reason.

    The Edgerouter is plugged into the apartment's Ethernet jack, and my devices are plugged into the Edgerouter.

    Anyone got any ideas why I can't connect to the IP cam on this new network?

    submitted by /u/ThreeDog1
    [link] [comments]

    Punch Down Block or Switch?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 05:44 PM PDT

    I started wiring my house for ethernet. Problem is the house was built in 66 and we have been remodeling it.

    I have just ran cat6 from all the locations where I wanted internet and its in my attic over where my office is going to go. Is the best thing to do is put a punch down block up in the attic? or is the best thing to do put a switch in the attic? then just run one wire down to an input in my office where my router will be.

    I really dont know the difference between the 2.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Sh-t_Shower_Shave
    [link] [comments]

    Power went out, LGS318 switch flashing, not providing connections. Router is working wired and wireless

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 05:01 PM PDT

    Hello, my power recently went out. Everything was working fine before the power went out. When the power came back on, every device connected to the switch had no connection to the internet or the network. I took one cat6 cable and connected it to the router and the PC is now online, so I know the router is working and providing internet via LAN and WAN.

    The Linksys LGS318 switch blue light is flashing, I have reset the router and the switch.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/zibdominus
    [link] [comments]

    in need of router help.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 04:43 PM PDT

    hello. im new here so bare with me please. i have a router given to me from my ISP. a sagemcom f@st 5260 it was pretty good but has lately been giving me alot of issues and i constant have to reboot it. So i after to speaking to the ISp tech support a couple times, i decided to go get a new router on my own. i purchased a Nighthawk R8000. fromt he comparison in specs i expected this router to do way better then the sagemcom, but it isnt. The sagemcom and the night hawk are both sitting in a far corner end of my house. even in that bad position the sagemcom has a much better quality %g signal on the other side of the house.... much better i have a 200mbps line. On the other side of the house im getting about 115mbps with the sagemcom and like 45 with the nighthawk... i added an extender to the mix to help out and the sagemcom is doing much better giving signal to the extender. Im at a loss. Im not knowledgable enough of routers to know if maybe i have settings off or maybe my hardware is just bad..

    submitted by /u/badass2000
    [link] [comments]

    Tp-link C1900 .. reset DLNA?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 05:36 AM PDT

    Weird problem. I have a USB HD hooked up to my router and it serves video files to my TV.

    I renamed some files from "Show Name - S00E00 - Title - Release details" to "00 - Title" and despite having done this many times before, this one directory would not update so that the TV could see the new names.

    Accessing it by the old names caused a File Not Found error.

    So I tried removing the share and re-adding it, didn't help. I even deleted what i THOUGHT was the index file, but that somehow (this is the part that's really fucking with me) THE FILES STILL HAVE THE OLD NAMES! I can use SMB and see that they are renamed to the shorter names BUT NOW IT WORKS! AS IF THE OLD NAMES ARE LINKED TO THE NEW NAMES!

    Please, I am so fucking confused, can anyone tell me how to make my router re-scan the whole drive so that it has the actual file names?

    I really cannot understand how it is possible for the file names to be two things at once. This is messed

    submitted by /u/m3ltph4ce
    [link] [comments]

    Someone has my ip, what should I do?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    So I'm with virgin media and i have a dynamic ip address and recently someone got my ip due to me being an idiot and I have suspicion that they are gonna use ip stressers to crash my Internet temporarily, so I could do with some advice on what to do?

    submitted by /u/jangofett02
    [link] [comments]

    Help! My laptop is showing up as a "Cyberlink PowerDVD" device on my network

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:55 PM PDT

    On my Google WiFi, my SurfaceBook 2 is showing up as "Cyberlink PowerDVD" under device type. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/65yH7J0 I've uninstalled the program from my laptop and restarted it, but it's still showing up as that in the app. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/hcrocker
    [link] [comments]

    How to test connectivity at home with Wireshark?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 01:54 PM PDT

    The internet at home gets cut out for a few seconds,then comes back on its own.Its like the modem restarts itself.We only use wireless at my home.Can I test the connectivity with wireshark and how can I do that to find out why the internet gets cut off? thank you

    submitted by /u/ExcellentGold
    [link] [comments]

    Would a USB to SATA adapter be a good way to cheaply add network storage? How about simply sharing a portable hard drive on the network?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 12:12 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but my goal is to have 2TB of storage available on my home network for anyone to save their stuff to and access. A NAS server would be ideal but is expensive, so I'm considering simply hooking up normal hard drives to an old laptop and sharing them on the home network (using Windows sharing options).

    Would a plain old hard drive hooked up to one of [these](UGREEN USB 3.0 to SATA Converter, SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable for 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SSD/HDD with 2-Port USB 3.0 and SD/TF Card Reader, Supports UASP SATA I II III https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M9D2PHN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SS42AbJFYPNQ2) be a decent solution for permanent storage, or are these really only meant for quickly copying things over to a hard drive? I don't care about appearance, but I'd probably prop it up semi-permanently on something to let air flow around it (without any active cooling).

    Similarly, are external hard drives rated for long-term use? I've mostly only ever used them for backups, but I have 2x2TB hard drives and could pretty easily use one for network storage and the other to back it up. Will they wear out quickly if they're always connected and always on?

    submitted by /u/DrDerpberg
    [link] [comments]

    I setup a caching DNS server for my local computers only, is there any security hole I'm missing? (Bind)

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:17 AM PDT

    I followed this guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-caching-or-forwarding-dns-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

    I don't have any open ports in my network, so only computers in my LAN can access my DNS server. The DNS server queries does go outside of my LAN. so I can acess the internet.

    The named.conf.options I have setup as

    acl goodclients { localhost; localnets; }; options { directory "/var/cache/bind"; recursion yes; allow-query { goodclients; }; } 

    Could my DNS server be abused? or there is no way unless someone gets in my LAN?

    submitted by /u/AffectionateEarth1
    [link] [comments]

    Router with a wired bridge mode

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    Hey guys just looking for a router priced below $100 (or even $50) that offers a wired bridge mode? I currently have a Linksys EA2700 but I think that it's already broken. Started with resetting WiFi passwords/turning on 5GHz by itself then to totally not working when I just changed the admin password (I had the suspicion that someone was hacking me) even upon resetting. Any idea if the Asus RT-N12 line offers this mode? Only seen a wireless bridge but I'm looking for a wired bridge. The Asus one seems pretty good for my uses. Not sure if the TP-Link is much better at this price point.

    submitted by /u/megaloneon
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for a good, cheap dual-band modem(vdls)/router. high reliability is important.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    Or a good reliable database to easily search for them ?

    submitted by /u/furyfairy
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to purchase a new router because my Comcast keeps disconnecting multiple times per hour.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:55 AM PDT

    Hey all, I have Comcast Internet and my router keeps restarting multiple times an hour everyday, even can happen within minutes of each other. I've had tech and stuff come to check out the lines and they don't do much. This is frustrating because I can't watch anything or play in fear of it disconnecting.

    This is pretty much the last resort.

    http://www.speedtest.net/result/7246913083.png

    I currently have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6480 which is directly connected to my main PC.

    submitted by /u/EuphoricXO
    [link] [comments]

    Running dual WAN on Juniper (v)SRX

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:55 AM PDT

    So I've got a 2:th ISP in the building 1000/1000 but for now I'd like to keep my 500/50 as my primary as I have four public IPv4 addresses there (the 2:th only gives me NAT atm)

    I don't want to load balance and I'm fine with keeping my existing default route. One of the problems however is that Juniper automatically installs a route learned from DHCP (no surprise) and both my ISP's has DHCP.

    I have been trying to read about RIB groups and I have placed my 2:th ISP in it's own routing instance, that has worked from the FW (can reach internet from that RI).

    My only goal here is to allow inbound (DNAT) from that ISP and all SNAT would be done by my 1000/1000 ISP. Has anyone else done this at home?

    submitted by /u/studiox_swe
    [link] [comments]

    New to NAS Need help with Security and Setup

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:00 AM PDT

    I have purchased a DS918+ Synology NAS. I wish to use it as a central hub for file storage of all computers and other devices. i.e. iPhones/iPads. I mainly use Mac computers and have only one windows computer that may want to use the NAS storage but not sure yet. Furthermore, I need to access my NAS from the internet but Security is my biggest priority and I know nothing about port forwarding or different security levels or protocols. I also have it sitting behind a VPN Router. I have a whole network I do not understand which is very complicated and I don't know how I managed to get it all up an running. But I have two VPN's via separate routers and my main modem router. So I have many issues but my main issue here is how to set up the NAS correctly with as best security as possible while understanding the risks and how to mitigate them if possible. If anyone can help with any aspect of what I have stated I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/divdadswiss
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel