• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, April 21, 2018

    Android Help Saturday APPreciation (Apr 21 2018) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!

    Android Help Saturday APPreciation (Apr 21 2018) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!


    Saturday APPreciation (Apr 21 2018) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 04:10 AM PDT

    Note 1. Check out our apps wiki for previous threads and apps curated by the reddit Android community!

    ***NEW: Download the official /r/Android App Store based on our wiki!

    Note 2. Join us at /r/MoronicMondayAndroid, a sub serving as a repository for our retired weekly threads. Just pick any thread and Ctrl-F your way to wisdom!

    Note 2. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.


    This weekly Saturday thread is for:
    * App promotion,
    * App praise/sharing


    Rules:

    1) If you are a developer, you may promote your own app ONLY under the bolded, distinguished moderator comment. Users: if you think someone is trying to bypass this rule by promoting their app in the general thread, click the report button so we can take a look!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Verizon’s latest Galaxy S7 update isn’t Oreo, even though the carrier says it is

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:10 AM PDT

    How many of you have a phone that's 2+ years old? Which one, and why?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:21 PM PDT

    I have had this phone (check my flair) since the 23rd October 2016, when I got it as a birthday present. Ever since, I haven't had a single issue other than perhaps that finding cases is difficult as fuck for this niche phone where I live (Pakistan), and that it's only 32gb.

    It got really slow once the final 8.1 Update hit, but I persevered and just a week ago flashed Lineage 15.1 and rooted it (my last rooted phone was the N4 in 2014, I've missed this). It's as good as it was when new, now.

    In terms of battery life, my phone used to get 6 hours SoT when it was new and gets around 4hr50mins-5hr20mins with my usecase now (shit ton of reddit, youtube, anime at auto brightness set at 40%, although I've themed my phone black via substratum and app theming to boost battery life) and for that I'm extremely grateful as I see r/Nexus6P's complaints and grievances. My battery has degraded though, from 100 to 85% now.

    At this stage, I feel like I'll run with this phone until I can find a true successor (better camera, headphone jack, front facing speakers, smol bezels, waterproof, 1440p+ OLED, Stock Android, 2+ years of updates) to this baby. It's served me amazingly well for almost 19 months now without hiccups, and I can't see any phone I'd realistically upgrade to. Plus, the fact that I got this amazing package for $399 only makes me further want to stay with it considering current pricing trends.

    Vive La 6P!

    Do you have any similar story?

    P.S I sure fucking hope I didn't just jinx it.

    submitted by /u/HereComesPapaArima
    [link] [comments]

    Stephen Hall - So a little update on this navigation situation: I’m told for sure that the current internal implementation let’s you swipe left and right on the pill just like iPhone X.

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    HMD finally released kernel sources for several phones

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 04:12 PM PDT

    Google app testing more ‘Material Design 2,’ redesigned bottom bar, & ‘Collections’ [Gallery]

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 11:44 AM PDT

    Non-US based Android users: do YOU think messaging on Android is broken?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:04 AM PDT

    Every blogger makes it seems axiomatic that Android messaging is broken, but as a non-US user I'm here holding a citation needed sign because tbf this isn't even a minor issue from my pov. I get WHY US/NA users feel it's a problem since they love SMS but curious if any other countries feel the same way? (apart from Canada).

    In fact, as a Brit, the current Android messaging situation is ideal - I don't want an iOS solution where a message MIGHT be sent as an SMS, and it might cost me, will be compressed, screw me over since I text abroad, screw me over when I'm travelling abroad and text, etc.

    I'm pretty sure from a Brit POV WhatsApp has solved messaging (from a conceptual point anyway) and the lack of SMS fallback is a FEATURE, not a shortcoming that we put up with.. how about any others? Germans, French, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, Dutch, Russians, Bulgarians, South Americans etc - where do things stand in your countries?

    submitted by /u/GuybrushNosehair
    [link] [comments]

    Huawei P20 Pro vs Canon 5DS R: I’m Stunned…

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 08:01 AM PDT

    LPT: You can disable any system app without losing its updates & data

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 09:51 AM PDT

    When you disable a system app, just tap anywhere outside the dialogue box where the system asks to replace the app with its older version. The app will be disabled with its updates & data intact. You can reaffirm this by enabling the app again and launching it.

    I don't know if this trick works because it's a glitch or because that's how it is by design but it's a really handy trick to know when you want to retain data of an app that you might want to disable for the time being and probably would use it later.

    Edit: Tapping on the 'Cancel' button also does the same, as pointed out by u/anonymous-bot.

    submitted by /u/yourSAS
    [link] [comments]

    Google app 8.0 preps teaching Assistant about people, ‘scheduling’ Custom Routines, & more [APK Insight]

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 10:06 AM PDT

    Pixel Buds Round 2: HUGE Difference

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 06:18 PM PDT

    I was one of the many people that jumped on board with the Pixel Buds Day 1. It was my first pair of Bluetooth headphones (or really any headphones) that cost over $30. To keep this short my overall opinion was that I was satisfied but they could be better. Riding the train or being on a plane made me feel like the volume just couldn't get loud enough. The fast pairing that happened the first weeks drastically tapered off and eventually the right bud started losing touch sensitivity. They finally stopped pairing altogether and after about a week of waiting I got my RMA.

    Holy crap, the pairing process seemed slightly different. The case is far sturdier and includes a vibrate motor and speaker. The touch controls on the right ear bud are far better than my former ones ever were. And holy bajeesus the volume is easily 75% louder. Normally my Buds were always maxxed out and for the first time I have them only around 25% and they sound perfect. Much punchier in the bass department too!

    I'm not sure what Google changed or if I just got a bad set the first time around but I am infinitely more satisfied than I was before.

    submitted by /u/NoShftShck16
    [link] [comments]

    U.S. regulator permits China's ZTE to submit more evidence

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 02:56 PM PDT

    Dear Huawei, if you want to be taken seriously in photography you need to make it possible to turn completely off "beauty" modes

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:26 AM PDT

    I've been a prosumer photographer for decades. I learned with a manual reflex. I have evolved with all the advances; Auto and program modes, auto focus, matrix metering, digital, etc...

    While I welcome auto modes, and even embrace AI, I do want to decide what goes in the mix.

    I've been playing with my new P20 pro, and discovering it can replace my reflex or compact Sony-Zeiss 80% of the time, and sometimes surpass them. This is one seriously impressive piece of kit!

    There is, however, a characteristic that seriously pisses me off: beauty mode. I normally want my images pin sharp. That is why I've often shot Kodachrome 64. I want all the info possible in my pics. If I want to blur I can post-process. Of course I can shoot manual and raw, but that should not be necessary. I want the most info to start with and remove what I don't want. I want to see hairs, skin pores, humanity, reality. I don't want photo realistic anime pics.

    Until you have an option to globally disable "beauty" processing, please abstain from using pro in the name.

    submitted by /u/elucubra
    [link] [comments]

    Likely Xiaomi Redmi S2 shows up on TENAA with 6-inch display and 3 storage/RAM variants

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, Galaxy A3, A5 and A7 (2017) Android Oreo Release Date Revealed

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 03:19 AM PDT

    Erica Griffin: Galaxy S9 & S9 Plus: All You Need to Know (2 Months Later)

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 10:20 PM PDT

    [Update: Trees theme hits stable for 4/20] Reddit app v3.0 beta adds night mode, account drawer, themes, and more

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 10:31 PM PDT

    This guy does a concise review video after a week with the Nokia 7 Plus

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 04:20 AM PDT

    About Exynos 9810, Samsung's Stance on Not Wanting to Release a Fix, and What We Can Do to Voice Our Concerns [x-post from r/GalaxyS9]

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 12:22 AM PDT

    As tech enthusiasts and users of the Samsung Galaxy S9, we know that the Exynos 9810 is hampered in performance based on Anandtech's review. The chip is barely an improvement compared to Exynos 8895 and the Snapdragon 835, which are previous generation chipsets. Two of the most recent Anandtech's articles (Part 1 and Part 2 suggests that the phone can be improved performance-wise by custom kernels.


    Samsung's stance on not wanting to make a fix is of course unacceptable. The chipset can be improved for both performance and battery life just by making kernels. And I believe it doesn't take much effort to release an update for the S9's kernels (please correct me if I'm mistaken, I am by no means a tech expert).


    This is serious problem and is questionable for a big company like Samsung. Therefore, I believe we have to personally address our dissatisfaction of the Exynos 9810 to Samsung by emailing the CEO or the Executive Team or both. Hopefully, by raising our voice, Samsung changes their opinion and releases a fix in the near future.

    I have made a template which you can copy, paste, and send to Samsung. I myself isn't a native English speaker, nor I have previous experience in making complaint letters. So, feel free to modify or improve the letter.

    Link to Letter Template: https://pastebin.com/AtW6NS0T

    Links to Contact CEO/Executive Team:

    submitted by /u/PossibleDepression2
    [link] [comments]

    Huawei P20 Pro camera letdown

    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:36 PM PDT

    The Huawei P20 Pro just came out and every reviewer out there is saying it's got the best camera on the market. Well, I just upgraded to the P20 Pro from the Oneplus 3t and I've gotta say it's definitely an upgrade in terms of battery life. However, in terms of camera performance it's a massive downgrade. I was using the pixel camera app for the Oneplus 3t and took HDR RAW images all the time and was very pleased with the excellent dynamic range and detail, but less impressed by lowlight and color (blues were difficult to get right in lightroom). The P20 Pro is a major step down. It does NOT retain highlights whatsoever. The only way to retain highlights is to manually exposure on the highlights and get a way under exposed image. There's no feature to turn on HDR in auto mode. You have to go to a seperate mode called HDR. And even then, there is NO change in highlights; all it does is bump the shadows a little bit. I'm not kidding. Highlights are exactly as blown out with or without HDR. There's a RAW feature, but it's not HDR and frankly, the RAW files aren't that good except for detail. The shadows are sooo dark, so by just raising the shadows to an acceptable level, the dybamic range is already depleted and the shadows get grainy. And everything is kinda cyan and green. On import into lightroom the tint is always +50 to counteract this, but still everything is cyan, and other colors than cyan are really muted. Also, you have to take 40mp raw files that are 80mb; there's no way to get 10mp RAW files. Here's a RAW picture I took and I pulled down vibrancy -40 and increased saturation +100 in Lightroom (and bumped shadows) because I wanted to increase the saturation in everything that isn't blue like the brown grass, but the image still looks muted. (Exported to 2000px) https://i.imgur.com/JacPvR9.jpg

    And auto images simply suck. Sometimes they're dull non-HDR poor dynamic range images with flat colors apart from the sky. And other times it will start processing the image (it's completely random when it does this and when it doesn't, and you can't turn it on or off manually). I took this picture. It's a pretty normal picture, shadows are a little dark but otherwise it's nothing special. https://i.imgur.com/rPP1v8Q.jpg Then I took another picture immediately after and this happened. https://i.imgur.com/k6pv5JV.jpg Looks like the structure slider is turned 100% on in instagram (note, the AI is turned off always).

    And this is an image I took of my girlfriend. I think it speaks for itself. https://i.imgur.com/91xt8kB.jpg

    I really hope they fix their shit in an update because this camera is quite shit as it stands.

    Lowlight is incredible though, and zooming as well. Also the bokeh effect is incredibly accurate at determining edges, even in moving subjects it usually nails it.

    submitted by /u/Baba_Wethu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel