• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, June 16, 2022

    Linux Why did I not make the switch sooner?

    Linux Why did I not make the switch sooner?


    Why did I not make the switch sooner?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 07:44 PM PDT

    I kind of wish after recently switching to Linux, I'd have done I to sooner.

    What is your favorite thing about Linux?!

    submitted by /u/InsidiousPilot
    [link] [comments]

    no video after booting live USB (endeavour OS)

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 10:07 AM PDT

    ubuntu vs mint?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 06:36 PM PDT

    ive been thinking about switching from ubuntu to linux mint fora couple months, but ive never really heard much about it other than its "ubuntu but simplified". ive done some brief research but id love to hear from people who've had some sort of history with it. are there any complications? at least compared to ubuntu specifically. would anyone prefer ubuntu? is mint even worth it?

    submitted by /u/ALPHONSE_NATIONAL
    [link] [comments]

    Video file repairing.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 10:41 PM PDT

    I'll try to make this short.

    I'm currently doing the slow process of converting the old family VHS stash. It's working fine, but since my dad used to record in beefy 6 hour tapes it's been a slow process. Today my PC froze during the recording process. The tape had just finished recording, I had to force reboot the pc without letting obs conclude the recording proccess so the 6 hour file is now corrupt.

    I'm sure it didn't damage most of the footage, at worse I'll lose a couple minutes at the end since I was recording on MKV. I just need a program for arch linux that can do the repair/recovery process on the file.

    Can you guys give me some suggestions of how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/GreenRiot
    [link] [comments]

    Pop Os installation requires switching from Raid to ACHI in Bios dual Boot with Windows

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 06:40 AM PDT

    Hi all.

    Currently running a Windows 11 Laptop. I want to dual boot Windows with Pop Os(based on Ubuntu).

    For the installation of Pop Os, it will not detect the unallocated partition for it until I change from RAID to ACHI in my Bios. After I switch to ACHI, Pop Os detects the unallocated partition that I can install Pop Os to. I couldn't install Pop Os onto that partition, but that story is for another day.

    So when I went to switch back to Windows, Windows will not load until I go back into the Bios and switch back to Raid.

    Is anyone managing to dual boot Pop Os and Windows 10/11 without having to fiddle with the Bios every time.

    Thanks in advance.

    EDIT: I've decided to just install Pop Os solely on the laptop and run Windows as a virtual machine. No more wasting time trying to set up multiple OS partitions on the laptop.

    submitted by /u/thekaizers
    [link] [comments]

    How to mount a drive automatically on startup

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 10:39 PM PDT

    i just installed a new version of kernel and now i have the same problem i had when i installed mint (i solved it back then, but i can't recall how). i'm using 800x600 and i can't chagne it because it won't install proper drivers

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 10:06 PM PDT

    i'm trying to use drivers manager and it presents 4 GPU driver options, one of them recommended, another one open source, and two others that seem outdated. i tried everyone, always restarting afterwards, but when it restarts, it says there's not GPU driver installed.

    linux mint 20.3 cinnamon

    cinnamon version 5.2.7

    kernel 5.15.0-33-lowlatency

    geforce gtx 980

    submitted by /u/aluminium_is_cool
    [link] [comments]

    command to connect to wifi using wps pin

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 09:16 PM PDT

    I have 8 digit wps pin but not the password, how do i connect my pc to wifi

    submitted by /u/Interesting-Emu-7031
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help!!!

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 08:47 PM PDT

    Can't get lombok.jar installer to appear.

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 08:06 PM PDT

    I'm running Lubuntu 20.04 and attempted to install lombok.jar with the command

    java -jar lombok.jar 

    I got the error message

    Command 'java' not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install openjdk-11-jre-headless # 11.0.15+10-0ubuntu0.20.04.1, or [more commands] 

    I then executed that command, then attempted to run the first command again. I simply got

    Error: Unable to access jarfile lombok.jar 

    I the attempted to run the command

    java -jar /home/[username]/Downloads/lombok-1.18.24.jar 

    but got the error

    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/lib/libawt_xawt.so at java.base[more at statements] 

    What do I do? I hate Linux.

    submitted by /u/Ostrich-Man70
    [link] [comments]

    My fedora boot times are REALLY slow

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 07:44 PM PDT

    Its dracut-initqueue.service and crypt setup taking lots of time to start up. Sounds like dracut-initqueue.service is just bugged, but can i get around it some how, because that takes 2+ minutes to load just by its self.

    submitted by /u/vqd4Pz8nMJvBzhDy
    [link] [comments]

    I am tring install artix-archlinux-support on artix

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:55 PM PDT

    I try to install artix-archlinux-support on a new install of artix but it is not found. I check to see if it is in pacman and it is when I do pacman -Ss artix-archlinux-support it found it in lib32 repo. Can anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/l0cky12f
    [link] [comments]

    Difference's Between Distros

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 07:00 PM PDT

    What's the big difference between distros? Say between Ubuntu, Fedora, and PopOS! however all are using KDE Plasma. Are they not more or less the same because they all are using the same DE?

    submitted by /u/4_Privacy
    [link] [comments]

    help with kde prompt

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 06:39 PM PDT

    i was executing a script and i hit dont warn me again so now when i left click on bash scripts it just executes no warning how do i enable it again?

    submitted by /u/SuperficialNightWolf
    [link] [comments]

    timeshift target device

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 05:21 PM PDT

    I just switched from mint mate 20.3 to Ubuntu 20.04 to get my audio workstation problems fixed (worked perfectly) but forgot to grab the music file that contained my current projects.

    I have an external hard drive with timeshift snapshots on it, but when I go to restore the last mint 20.3 snapshot, and am asked to select a target device (i have an SSD and the stock HDD in the laptop, never used any of this on the HDD), the selections are not filled in by default. Is there any guidance on what selections should be made?

    I already messed up once on the HDD, and upon trying to create another bootable drive for mint on the new Ubuntu OS, I cant seem to get any of the ethers to work. The zip file will download, but extracting or dragging and dropping the content does nothing, although a message is given when I extract saying 'Extraction completed successfully'

    Any thoughts on this?

    submitted by /u/Shaggys_Guitar
    [link] [comments]

    Program Automatically Launches as Superuser

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 01:29 PM PDT

    Hi I've recently installed a program using Flatpak, and now whenever I launch the application, the titlebar says "Application name (as superuser)".

    I'm no expert, but this seems to be a security risk, so how would I go about launching the application as a regular user?

    I'm launching the program from my one and only user account, speaking of which, is this a security problem? Should I be using a second account on a daily basis and only using the main(superuser?) account when needed?

    I'm on mint 20.3 if that's relevant.

    EDIT: Some other info:

    1- Flatpak version: 1.12.2

    2- The command:

    flatpak history

    returns:

    error: appstream2/x86_64 is not an application or runtime

    3- flatpak list yields:

    Name Application ID Version Branch Installation Logseq com.logseq.Logseq 0.7.4 Stable system 

    Would the System under the Installation column indicate that the program is installed across multiple users? does this mean it's under superuser?

    submitted by /u/SlowRotate
    [link] [comments]

    Linux and PTT v. TPM + Secure Boot?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 01:01 PM PDT

    What are the differences? Does Linux support one, none, or both? How would you activate or ensure either PTT or TPM is active/working on Linux?

    Also, if I install Linux on a Secure Boot-enabled system, is Secure Boot running automatically when I boot Linux afterward or do I have to configure anything to have it enabled? How do I view the list of trusted Secure Boot keys or whatever?

    submitted by /u/VeraFrank
    [link] [comments]

    i bought a bluetooth dongle that works on windows but not linux. however linux does detect it and this was the output for sudo dmesg | grep Bluetooth:

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:23 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/93uCsEn

    any suggestions? can i make it work?

    linux mint 20.3 cinnamon

    cinnamon version 5.2.7

    linux kernel 5.4.0-113-generic

    edit: by the way, i booted from a usb flash drive a fresh installation of mint to test the dongle. the result was the same. it was recognized, but wouldn't locate any devices (i tried 2 different ones)

    submitted by /u/aluminium_is_cool
    [link] [comments]

    stress testing

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 12:28 PM PDT

    Normally when building a new system on windows i would run prime95 and maybe furmark just to get an idea of thermals. What options are there for arch based distros and is LM sensors or pfsensor the best temp monitoring options for an all AMD build?

    submitted by /u/Endeavour1988
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Program Similar to Notepad++?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:10 PM PDT

    I am transitioning from Windows to Linux. I like to use Notepad++ on Windows.

    I am not a computer programmer. I use Notepad++ for all kinds of mundane tasks; rough drafts of e-mails, correspondence, personal journal entries, even rough drafts of legal papers.

    It's just really nice to have a slim, lightweight but powerful interface for text editing that operates with plain text instead of dealing with the complications of rich or formatted text. I also like that it uses predictive text to save time when typing.

    Notepad++ only works on Windows. What would be a similar option for Linux?

    submitted by /u/PlinyToTrajan
    [link] [comments]

    Pop OS Constant Freezing

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:01 PM PDT

    Hey Linux4Noobs,

    As the title says, I'm running Pop OS and experiencing constant and complete freezes. After googling around some I've learned the basics of journalctl and have been running it after freezes and googling error messages (either running it with '-p 3' appended or just focusing on the red errors).

    Googling those error messages tends to give a pretty significant variety of answers. Sometimes I see the same error message going back 10+ years, sometimes I see comments from a few years ago saying that the error was fixed in an update, and sometimes I get different suggestions from different people.

    The freezes can take anywhere from minutes after boot to hours. Very occasionally I'll make it 2-3 days. It seems like if I leave the system idle, especially shortly after boot, it will freeze (like if I get up to pee and come back, it's frozen 90% of the time if I recently booted). If I keep doing stuff for a while the odds of it freezing seem to drop.

    Here are my specs because I imagine that may be important

    - 5600X

    - 3080 ti

    - asus b550-i (mini itx)

    - Corsair SF750

    - 32 gb Corsair dominator ram

    - Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB

    I have tried a few of them. So far I know I've done the following

    - Used the "refresh OS" to make sure I have a fresh version of Pop OS on my machine

    - I made a change in the bios to allow Intel Virtual Technology

    - I ran some software to verify that there weren't any errors in my RAM. It seems extensive (ran for hours) and came back clean.

    - Downgraded from nvidia-driver-510 to -470

    - Made sure bios were fully updated

    - I've tried copy/pasting a few things into the Terminal. I think one was supposed to keep my gpu active.

    - a few others

    Basically I'm just taking stabs in the dark. I don't know how to figure out what the actual problem is and I'm getting a bit frustrated with the combination of things not working, not knowing the real problem, and of course, the constant freezes that interrupt my workflow.

    Can anyone help me to understand how I can figure out what the problem actually is? Here are the error messages from my last boot & freeze. As you can see, that boot lasted about 13 minutes. I will typically have a half dozen boots like this a day until I get a sort of stable one.

    Also, it seemed to get worse when the weather got warmer and more humid, but I don't think I'm having temperature issues or anything (I keep the house at about the same temp year round and I'm not seeing any error messages related to temps).

    Jun 16 16:39:34 pop-os kernel:

    Jun 16 16:39:37 pop-os gnome-session-binary[1369]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

    Jun 16 16:39:37 pop-os gnome-session-binary[1369]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

    Jun 16 16:39:43 pop-os gdm-password][1711]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

    Jun 16 16:39:45 pop-os systemd[2316]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.

    Jun 16 16:39:45 pop-os systemd[2316]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.

    Jun 16 16:39:47 pop-os gdm-launch-environment][1264]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

    Jun 16 16:50:04 pop-os systemd[1]: Failed to start Ubuntu Advantage Timer for running repeated jobs.

    Jun 16 16:52:06 pop-os systemd[2316]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-shell.

    Jun 16 16:52:22 pop-os systemd[2316]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-shell.

    Jun 16 16:52:42 pop-os systemd[2316]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-shell.

    submitted by /u/tour__de__franzia
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Path Cheatsheet

    Posted: 15 Jun 2022 02:12 AM PDT

    Some way to increase the size of a partition using another drive?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:23 PM PDT

    So I've got two hard drives, one SSD where I mounted / and an external HDD that's currently empty. The thing is, the SSD has some extra space that I probably won't need, and the HDD is a bit too small for my needs, so I was wondering if I could increase the size of the HDD partition by using the SSD?

    My plan is to use symlinks or move some files back and forth, but I would like something more automatic. Something similar to a swapfile would be ideal: so that I can create a file in the SSD and that magically increases the size of the HDD. And I could remove that file if I suddenly needed that extra space.

    So maybe something like this already exists? Because it could also be useful to cache the contents of the HDD. So anyone knows any tools? Thanks.

    Distro: debian stable.

    submitted by /u/Badel2
    [link] [comments]

    How to stop excessive logging?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 06:02 AM PDT

    Since I started using Linux about 3 months back, there's been about 3 or 4 instances of excessive logging that's occurred due to different programs, usually to the xorg-session.log file in Manjaro. Usually it writes so fast I don't notice until I reach 0 space free and then get all sorts of other issues. I wanted to know, how do I stop this excessive logging?

    I know you can use logrotate, but that would only resolve the space issue and wouldn't resolve the excessive disk writes, if anything it would just exacerbate that issue as I may never notice it doing this.

    It's usually due to different things that all log to that same file, so would the only way to fix it be changing settings within those programs? Because, for example, the last issue I had was an endless vdpau_chroma filter error in VLC, but I don't seem to have logging enabled within the settings in VLC. In which case I have no idea how to resolve it.

    I'm getting tired of this recurring issue. The logging is a lot more problematic than they are helpful, but I don't want to just disable it completely because then I know at some point I'll have an issue and people will say to check the logs..

    submitted by /u/Valdraya
    [link] [comments]

    Want to use Dual OS - tips please

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 01:18 PM PDT

    Hi, I want to use Linux and BSD on a desktop with the following parameters. Please pour your suggestions out for a layman.

    1) I will install Linux Lite and which is the most user friendly BSD for someone not familiar with unix?

    2) I will install both from one Ventoy pendrive, is it possible?

    3) HDD 200 GB - how much space to allocate to Linux and Unix, assuming I will have 4 partitions - swap, linux, unix and common filesystem?

    4) which filesystem nowadays supported by both Linux and BSD? (Not ntfs)

    5) which 3D CAD (civil construction and electrical design) runs on both linux and unix?

    6) anything I skipped that I should know?

    Thanks and Regards.

    submitted by /u/spawndon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel