• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, January 8, 2021

    Simple Questions - January 08, 2021

    Simple Questions - January 08, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 08, 2021

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    First PC build complete! Dad & son, with help from reddit.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:29 PM PST

    My 13-year-old son's been wanting a gaming PC for over a year now. We've bought him reasonable-quality peripherals for prior birthdays and Christmases to use with his school-issued laptop, but the cost of the actual PC isn't in our present budget, so for the last few months of 2020 he took a part-time job to save up to buy the components for a PC. With help from us and grandparents, he had enough money to start buying components in November.

    Following a post to r/BuildMeAPC here, we selected these parts for our build. The parts all arrived in time for Christmas, thankfully, so we started our build on boxing day. With a minor pause and call for help to r/BuildAPC to figure out how to mount the HDD, the build is now complete!

    The pictures from our assembly journey are here.

    Thanks very much to the communities at r/BuildMeAPC and r/BuildAPC for giving us the inspiration and confidence to build the machine ourselves, and the guidance to specify and assemble the machine that works as well as ours does, first time! We thoroughly enjoyed building the computer ourselves - you've given us a great memory together. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Dad_Pat
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else really struggle with finding a case they like/works for their purpose?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:49 AM PST

    So I really prefer the size of mATX cases, however the board selection is tough unless you're buying brand new Plenty of options for ATX boards, but the mid towers are either much lager, or have super shit airflow, or they're just plain boring/generic/meh.

    I built my last system in a Darkflash DLM21 Mesh and loved the case, but the thermals worry me since my next build will undoubtedly run much hotter.

    Anyone else run into the same problem?

    submitted by /u/OnlyJuanCannoli
    [link] [comments]

    Oh Save Me, I just bought a 3090

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:19 AM PST

    I have ordered a custom built 5600x/3080 desktop, for an entirely reasonable price, and I've been patiently waiting for a few weeks, when two things happened: my store pushed back the estimated delivery date of my gpu by a month and a half, and I started questioning if my lovely 3440x1440 monitor REALLY has enough pixels.

    I checked and my store had ONE 3090 in stock, so, naturally I called them and switched to that one, increasing the price of my new system by 40 per cent, but hey, I'll have peace of mind for when I get a new 5120x2160 or something like that, someday!

    Here's hoping I won't miss that extra money! 😅

    submitted by /u/DocSimson
    [link] [comments]

    Good pc, terrible performance (please help??)

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:02 AM PST

    So here are my specs

    gigabyte 2080 Super

    Core i9 9900k

    32 gb G.skill Trident Z rgb

    3 tb hdd

    1 tb ssd

    ASRock z390 phantom gaming

    EVGA supernova 1000w 80+ gold (pls don't roast me I know it's overkill)

    So I bought the pc as a prebuilt, but I know my way around pc's. The pc used to have a faulty 650w psu, only 1 tb ssd and 16 gb of ram. Here's the original pc link.

    https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-mage-h-ali335/p/N82E16883102800?Item=N82E16883102800

    So the problem is the performance. For the first month, maybe 2 months, it worked spectacular. Everything was working as intended. And then, it's like something clicked. The pc just started running really bad. YouTube on any browser would lag and buffer videos and editing in After effects would lag even when just watching a video in the preview box that doesn't even have any effects on it. Most games seem fine other than Battlefront 2 for some reason. I run medium settings with like 50 fps, while my friend has a 2070 and gets higher than me with no overclock. I have watched many tutorials. I have tweaked setting in Nvidia control panel, updated drivers, everything. None of it helped a bit. And I do indeed have a good internet provider with a stable, wired connection. I posted this once already and people said to check for throttling and try to check speeds in bios. I did all of that and even did some slight overclocking, but non of it helped one bit. I also did some stress tests and I believe that my gpu is underperforming. Could it be that I got a faulty gpu? I have no idea. Someone please help!!

    submitted by /u/PhoenixSkillzz
    [link] [comments]

    Are video cards grossly overprices in Germany right now? Or am I looking at the wrong sites?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:48 AM PST

    I mean it is Covid, so stock are low, so I would expect it. I just want some clarification.

    submitted by /u/In5idiu5
    [link] [comments]

    First PC build ever! Wondering if these parts are good for running games at high frames and are compatible

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:15 AM PST

    I have been slowly picking things out for my PC. As I don't have an extreme amount of knowledge I thought I'd ask you guys. The parts that I have picked out are:

    • Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8 core • Corsair H100i RGG Platinum 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi Atx • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD • MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Gaming X Trio • Corsair 275R Airflow ATX mid tower case • Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold cert. fully modular

    First time ever building a PC and I want it to be good. I don't know as much as you guys but I'd like to learn!

    submitted by /u/Braden1414
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for my budget build for college

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:06 PM PST

    Hey, I'm a computer science student and my current college laptop is broken. I am trying to build a desktop pc since it's better value for money and the current pandemic situation suits it fine. I am mainly planning to use this computer for programming and personal use. I don't really care too much about it running current gen games, I mainly just play league of legends. (The gpu market is very strict at the moment and my only choice is a gtx 1050ti).

    My budget is around 700 euros. I'd like some advice on wether or not the parts I picked are the best for my current budget and wether I need cpu cooling. I used pcpartpicker for the build. I haven't picked a case yet but I don't need anything fancy. (If anyone would like to suggest one I would very much appreciate).

    The link to my build.

    In case you don't wanna click:

    -CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

    -Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4

    -RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16

    -SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME

    -GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card

    -Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

    submitted by /u/deezneigh
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need to use a PCIe 4.0 slot/riser cable for Nvidia 3000 series GPUs or is 3.0 still okay?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 02:35 PM PST

    I'm getting a Nvidia 3070, and because of my build I need to use a riser cable for my GPU. The cable I have is 3.0, the 3070 says it uses 4.0, and my motherboard's PCIe port can be set to either.

    So will I need to get myself a 4.0 riser cable for the new 3070? Or can I use my 3.0? When it says 4.0 does that mean it needs it or just can use it?

    submitted by /u/IveGotAWeirdQuestion
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth upgrading from 1080p 144hz to 2k/4k? if so is it better to go for an ultrawide 2k 144hz monitor or a normal 4k 144hz monitor?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:33 AM PST

    hello was wondering if its worth upgrading my monitor from 1080p 144 hz to either ultrawide 2k 144hz or to a 4k 144hz monitor

    i have a decent system with a 2070 super / 9700kf but never played on anything above 1080p and was wondering if its worth the upgrade

    submitted by /u/Takzuke
    [link] [comments]

    shopblt & microcenter are legit right?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:56 AM PST

    they're prices sometimes seem too good and I'm considering buying some parts from there.

    submitted by /u/iownacake
    [link] [comments]

    Hi there I just bought my son a gaming pc for his bday it comes with ryzen 5 3400G zen + with GeForce GTX 1650 KO ULTRA GDDR6 and 16GB ram is this good enough to run new call of duty and cyberpunk

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:06 AM PST

    Which B550 motherboard to go for?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:03 PM PST

    In a few months the Ryzen 5600 comes out (hopefully) and i've been wanting to upgrade to that from my 2600, which is going to my brother. Now i have been worried a lot about which motherboard to choose.

    Right now i have an Asus b450-f, which im not a fan of. The boot times are abominable, and when contacting Asus they tell me it's normal (even with an ssd) and the bloadware is also horrendus.

    I dont want to go for Asus again for my next motherboard after that thing with their customer service being that bad. I'm really fixated on looks when choosing components (mostly cause i just like looking into my pc). The Gigabyte boards have looked really appealing to me, and i have been wanting to upgrade to one of those, but i just read a ton about Gigabyte mobos having lots of usb problems.. yikes.

    Now i'm not sure if i should go for a Gigabyte board (I already have a Gigabyte 3070 so i liked the idea of matching) since it has these problems. But on the other hand, most motherboard manifacturers have these kinds of problems.

    Can anyone give me some advice if it's ok to just go for a Gigabyte board or is going with Asus still an idea or am i better off buying from another? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Xypod13
    [link] [comments]

    400W i7-4770 16GB GTX1060 6GB

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 10:12 AM PST

    I have a friend that I'm upgrading his PSU and GPU im planning on giving him a GTX 1060 and a EVGA 400 watt psu will that be able to power a 1060 i7 4770 and 16gb of ram?

    submitted by /u/Gunner20163
    [link] [comments]

    In need of guidance and opinions for my first build ever - R5 3600 + GTX 1660 ti + 16GB RAM

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:59 AM PST

    Hey all,

    So as the title says I'm planning my first build ever and all I know is I want a R5 3600 cpu, gtx 1660 ti and 16gb RAM, I'm kinda lost as for the rest of the components.

    I want be able to run games on ultra settings over 60 fps in 1080p and 1440p, and I'll be happy if I can get a stable 40 fps in 4k with mid settings depending on the game. Basically the same performance as in these videos :

    R5 3600 + GTX 1660 TI - 25 games in 1440p

    R5 3600 + GTX 1660 TI - 25 games in 1080p

    Shadow of The Tomb Raider | 1080p, 1440p & 4k | GTX 1660 Ti + Ryzen 5 3600

    I made a build on pcpartpicker but it seems too expensive for what it is ($1200). I need help making it more cost-efficient and cheaper without losing performance, so feel free to suggest better alternatives if some of the parts are overkill or anything like that. Thanks to anyone who'll take the time to read and answer my super boring generic post !

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RyCtrr)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | $199.99 @ B&H

    **CPU Cooler** | [Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100) | $78.63 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nHxbt6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite) | $199.99 @ Newegg

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6jBTwP/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c18d-16gtzrx) | $97.99 @ Newegg

    **Storage** | [Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw) | $64.99 @ B&H

    **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcQG3C/seagate-barracuda-compute-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dmz08dm008) | $54.99 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/K8fhP6/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-6-gb-gaming-x-video-card-gtx-1660-ti-gaming-x-6g) |-

    **Case** | [Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d82bt6/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-mesh-rgb-black) | $199.99 @ Amazon

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp/corsair-rm-2019-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020195-na) | $124.99 @ Best Buy

    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfH48d/microsoft-os-fqc08930) | $139.88 @ Other World Computing

    **Wireless Network Adapter** | [TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KJfmP6/tp-link-archer-t6e-ac1300-none-wi-fi-adapter-archer-t6e) | $39.99 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$1201.43**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-01-08 14:19 EST-0500 |

    submitted by /u/ice_uckdik
    [link] [comments]

    My GPU is too lazy

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:06 PM PST

    Hey guys, i've build my pc 2 years ago and never really understand why my GPU never works how it is supposed. I have a 1080ti and in most easy to run games i have 100 fps where most of my friends do 200 fps with a worse gpu (same graphics).

    The thing is lately games like warzone and Cod Cold war run at 40 fps with the recommended graphics by Nvidia Geforce Experience. Even when i turn them lower i have 40 fps. I play in 1440p and even when i drop it to 720p no fps boost.

    When i open my task manager mu gpu runs only at 25%-35%. CPU is around 60%.

    All help is welcome, thanks for your time and stay safe out there.

    Specs:

    • 1080 TI gaming TrioX msi
    • Ryzen 7 2700x
    • X470 Aorus Gaming & wifi
    • Corsair vengeance 4x8Gb 3200MHz
    • 2x SSD 860 Evo 1Tb
    • 1x NVME 970 evo 1Tb
    submitted by /u/Dejonghesebastien
    [link] [comments]

    I already have a 1 tb HDD with 1 tb portable HDD. Should I get a 500gb nvme or 1tb m.2

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 02:18 PM PST

    Sorry if it is a redundant question but here's the situation: I just ordered most of the parts for my new PC, except the ssd cause I forgot about tax for my CPU/GPU. I do have 2 hdds with a tb each but that's not gonna cut it. Luckily my bday is coming up and my budget is under 100. However, from what I've seen there's no good nvme 1 tb drives under 100 unless PCPartPicker is stupid. I specifically want to use m.2 drives as a) this is my first pc and I wanna keep the cable management simple and b) I'm building in an older case that I don't want to mod. Thus the 2 options are the 1 tb WD Blue, an m.2. SATA drive for 95$ or the 500 gb Samsung 970 Evo, an m.2 NVME drive for 64$. Which is the better deal, fellas?

    submitted by /u/officialcjmathieu
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP PC build $400

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 11:21 AM PST

    GPU: GTX 980 4 gb

    CPU: Intel i7-4970k

    MOBO: Asus ATX DDR3 2600 LGA

    PSU: Corsair Axi 1200 watts

    Hyper X Kingston 16 GB ram

    Samsung 850 pro 256 GB SSD & Toshiba 3 gb hd

    I can get all these parts in a built pc for $400. Is this a good deal? I just want to use the PC for light gaming (maybe cod warzone on medium and mostly league of legends) and browsing.

    I apparently have to reinstall Windows (not sure why, can anyone care to explain)

    submitted by /u/thequiett2
    [link] [comments]

    Built PC crashing on almost all games

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:59 PM PST

    Hey guys, I had my PC built a few years back and ever since then I have been crashing on almost all games I play. I crash within 10 minutes from games like Fortnite and Overwatch to Warzone.

    Specs:

    CPU- Intel i7-6900k 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 8Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
    GPU- NVIDIA GTX 1080
    MOBO- ASUS X99- E
    PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850w
    RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x16GB

    I already tried updating my BIOS and disabled XMP. Thoughts???

    submitted by /u/Brandissimo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay for there to be pressure on the ram?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:18 PM PST

    I recently got some new 32gb of ram that i installed. However, it seems like they are not as low profile as the 16gb ones i had before. This means that my top mounted rad pushes on top of the ram pushing it harder into the mobo. My only other solution would be to front mount the rad but i would rather not have the tube side up on the rad. Would it be okay for the ram to be pushed harder into the mobo

    submitted by /u/prime-SS
    [link] [comments]

    Boot problem

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:59 PM PST

    Hi reddit, i am in desperate need if help. upgraded my pc today and cant get it to post. qvl-led is stuck on boot with a yellow green light. no signal detected.

    specs: mobo: asus rog strix x570-f gaming (new) cpu: ryzen 5 5600x (new) gpu: msi 970 4gb (used for several years without problems) psu: corsair 650w (old)

    i have used bios flashback with the latest and next latest bios from asus website and i'm sure i chose the correct mobo, it blinked slowly for a few seconds and then faster for a few minutes until the bios flashback light turned of.

    all power connectors are all the way in. 24-pin and 8-pin on the mobo and 6+2 and 8-pin on the gpu. tried reseating the ram. tried one ram-stick in all 4 slots.

    uninstalled the 2 m.2 drives and plugged in my old ssd with windows installed. tried without the ssd.

    tried clearing cmos by removing the battery and again with the a screwdriver on the clear cmos pins without luck.

    flashed bios with and without cpu installed. fat32 16gb drive and used the renamer program.

    Pc wizards please help.

    submitted by /u/stuklas39
    [link] [comments]

    Are These Specs Good Enough to Play Cod Warzone and Other Games?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:40 AM PST

    I have no computer knowledge and I'm not sure if these specs would run Cod Warzone with no lag. I do have a friend that would build my desktop for me, but I don't want to keep asking him about the specs I'd use. PCPartPicker didn't have the Intel Xeon part so I have no idea if these parts are compatible with no BIOS update or something needed. I also want to save money so I looked on the Userbenchmark site and used generally the highest value parts (lower price/higher output). I was going to buy a prebuilt PC but if these specs are good enough for gaming then I would save around 200 dollars or so of what I'd buy (and not know the quality of those desktops in the first place)

    Benchmark resolution I have no idea. 1080p? Budget would be up to $700 but I'd be happy with anything lower that still gets the job done. I'm buying from Hawaii so that might impact who ships to me. I have other builds to test out but not sure if I'm supposed to give only one build or allowed to list multiple in one post.

    Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison Baseline Bench: Game 47%, Desk 82%, Work 40% CPU: Intel Xeon X5650 $75 GPU: AMD RX 580 $218 SSD: Crucial P5 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB $60 HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB $44 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB $86 Total: $483

    TDLR: 1. Are these parts compatible? 2. Can these parts together run Cod Warzone smoothly? 3. Are there better parts that would be just as efficient or even more efficient for cheaper?

    submitted by /u/Too_Ton
    [link] [comments]

    My new pc I just built now restart while installing Windows i get error i can never install windows!

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:56 PM PST

    CPU :R5 5600x Mobo: Rog strix B550-F (wifi) COOLER: Corsair h100i rgb platinum SE (white) PSU: Rm850x white Case : phanteks p600s RAM: G.skill trident z Neo 2x16 3600mhz cl16-19-19-39 Storage : Nvme WD SN750 1tb x2

    I just built a new pc but I still didn't get my new gpu it's 3080 tuf and it seems like it will take very long time till i get it. So I decided to use my old gpu that work normal with no problems already in old pc it's "asus gtx 1050 expedition 2giga" plug and play doesn't have any 6 or 8 pin connectors

    I downloaded today windows on flash drive And try to install over 100 times and what happen is that in the middle of installing pc restart suddenly and reboot then i get error because of the restart in the middle of the installing idk what do ?!

    I tried older Bios and I tried the latest I tried to clear CMOS I tried different windows home, pro, pro N I pluged the HDMI to 2k screen, fullhd, TV, I tried diplayport I tried both Pciex16 slots

    I didn't know anyone that i can borrow his gpu to try if it's the problem from the old gpu maybe not compatible

    Should i wait till i get my new gpu? but still worried if there is any problem with othere parts so i can return now .

    I hope if someone have experience can help me. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/mo22men
    [link] [comments]

    Pny Gtx 1660 blower

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:55 PM PST

    Is this a good beginner Gpu?

    submitted by /u/Ccoms14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel