• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, January 12, 2021

    Linux Which Linux should I install in this old low power laptop?

    Linux Which Linux should I install in this old low power laptop?


    Which Linux should I install in this old low power laptop?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:38 AM PST

    Never used Linux before and still using Windows 10, it's hard to switch, even though I wish, but I'm Graphic Designer that is continuously using adobe products. Apart from that, I have a really low power laptop: Windows 7 Starter | Intel Atom CPU N270, 1.60GHz | 1GB RAM. My smartphone has more RAM than this... I kept thinking, could a lightweight OS save this laptop? There are many Linux distros that is hard for a noob to choose one, especially in this case. I don't use this laptop, in fact, no one does here, but if I could make it a little better, faster and secure, then my mom could use this if only to use social media.

    submitted by /u/rubensgpl
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a solution for my unusable/unallocated partition issue?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 11:57 AM PST

    I am trying to create a partition to install ubuntu on my windows laptop. I've done some research but I can't seem to find a solution to my issue. The issue is that the drive is using a MBR partition scheme, which has a limit of 4 partitions. My windows installation already has 4 partitions and I cannot create another partition. If I create another partition it is labelled as unusable/ unallocated.

    Is there a way to somehow merge partitions without affecting the windows installation. Or is there a partition that is safe to delete?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/TendaiFor
    [link] [comments]

    Hi I'm new to application development, can somebody give me advise on installing kotlin on linux ubuntu please?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 11:32 AM PST

    Recommendation for a lite distro

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:56 PM PST

    Need to use it on my parent's computer which has 4 gb ram and an i3 processor. It hangs a bit too much. What would be the most optimal distro for a non techy parent who uses the pc for work- browsing, office work, mail and stuff

    submitted by /u/magiye1747
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to install Ubuntu on a spare laptop or a free VM in Azure?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 10:28 PM PST

    I'm looking for the least cost way to install and learn Linux. I do have a old Windows work laptop I could wipe and install Ubuntu.

    I tried using Azure but couldn't figure out if it's a free service and worth the effort.

    Advice appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/Surfer949
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain what this install command is doing from youtube-dl?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:19 PM PST

    Here's the command:

    sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl 

    Can someone break this down? Looks like it's downloading from that URL and putting into the folder. Also on Linux Mint 20.1 it only seemed to work for me when I removed the "local" part of the directory and used /user/bin/youtube-dl... Is there a problem with doing it this way?

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/Apabu
    [link] [comments]

    Flatpak apps fail to install. How do i fix it? -Fedora 33

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 11:05 AM PST

    I probably messed with netwrks and now everything works on wifi except terminal. It says activation of network connection failed. Any suggestion?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:25 AM PST

    How to delete a directory in root

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:08 PM PST

    There is this ENORMOUS (91 GB) snapshot file on Timeshift that I want to delete. Problem is I don't how to do it, because the timeshift directory is on the file system

    Processing img yni8k2pp5za61...

    submitted by /u/MrGen06
    [link] [comments]

    Arch stuck at "/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean, a/b files, c/d blocks"

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:05 PM PST

    Hi. I've made a mess out of my sddm(probably). I'm running Arch x64 with KDE Plasma or should I say I was until I broke the latter. I had set up everything according to the installation guide and all was workig fine, so I decided it's customization time. One of the things I tried doing was updating the NVidia drivers from their website (should've stuck with "pacman" but in my mind it made sense that NVidia would have the latest drivers) I was already running drivers (not nouveau) that I got using pacman, but some game was complaining they are outdated. So i tried running the installer and it failed due to the fact that necessery files were in use. I didn't wanna do this, but after searching for a solution and finding only this I did "systemctl disable sddm.service" from a USB arch-chroot and rebooted. I was greeted by the console (as expected) and started the installer which failed due to some dkms problem. But in the output I saw that those drivers were actually older than the ones I had so I just enabled sddm.service and rebooted. Now i'm stuck here. I can switch between consoles with Ctrl+Alt+Fx and here are my sddm status and startx outputs:

    sddm[323]: Failed to read display number from pipe sddm[323]: Display server stopping... sddm[323]: Attempt 2 starting the Display server on vt 1 failed sddm[323]: Display server starting... sddm[323]: Adding cookie to "/var/run/sddm/{15d83dd6-504e-44a7-8c18-6ba7446c926}" sddm[323]: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt1 - auth /var/run/sddm/{15d83dd6-504e-44a7-8c18-6ba7446c926a} -noreset -displayfd 17 sddm[323]: Failed to read display number from pipe sddm[323]: Display server stopping... sddm[323]: Attempt 3 starting the Display server on vt 1 failed sddm[323]: Could not start Display server on vt 1

    (EE) Server terminared with error (1). Closing log file. xinit: giving up xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused xinit: server error

    Ask and I will provide additional info. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/dog3_l0ver
    [link] [comments]

    How do I increase partition size ?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:24 PM PST

    Hi, I have a laptop with dual boot Win 10 and Kubuntu, however when I wrote to disk Kubuntu I only gave 10GB, so now it's full and I'm not able to extend the partition, I tried with Gparted from Kubuntu and with the system partition manager from Win 10. Yes I'm a noob.

    submitted by /u/S4ndeyes
    [link] [comments]

    How can I switch from Ubuntu to Elementary OS if I have Root and Home in the same partition?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:32 AM PST

    How do you shift to a newly installed Linux system quickly? Also how often do you shift?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 11:10 PM PST

    Like from your last OS there must be many packages that you must have installed on your last system. If you are given a fresh new system. Is there a way I can setup my working environment quickly in new system?? How do you regulate this task?

    submitted by /u/Curious_homosepian
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 has a pause when copying. Does debian xfce have a pause when copying?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 12:18 PM PST

    Hi

    I was wondering if this was possible in debian xfce.

    submitted by /u/Mode_Legitimate
    [link] [comments]

    How can I hide the grub menu on startup?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:14 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    When I turn on my computer the grub bootloader starts up as usual. Since I only have one operating system (debian) and I normally just wait 10 seconds until it boots manually, I was wondering if I could somehow disable or hide grub to save me a few seconds at startup. Is this possible? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Wakain
    [link] [comments]

    I Installed Xubuntu 20.04 On An Old Intel Atom based tablet, and experience lots of screen tearing when I rotate the screen 90 degrees to the right.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:52 AM PST

    Basically the title. I acquired this old Insignia Flex 8" tablet and installed Xubuntu on it as Windows 10 is now unsupported and slow. The tablets resolution is set to 800x1280 by default, and when I run Xubuntu in this resolution, I get no screen tearing what so ever. But if I go into Display settings and rotate the monitor to the right in order to use the tablet in landscape, the screen tears anytime it updates.

    Now the weird part is that I can't set the resolution to 1280x800, it only allows me to rotate the screen. Is it possible that the "rotate" option is what's causing the screen tearing?

    submitted by /u/shelcod
    [link] [comments]

    Would Lenovo IdeaPad work on New Linux Mint with xfce GUI - PLS HLP

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:35 AM PST

    Hi everybody! As title says. I'm considering buying Lenovo Ideapad 3 w/ AMD Ryzen 3 CPU, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SDD. I asked on Croatian Linux forum about Mint compatibility with hardware after USB installation, and some said that there is a possibility that some of hardware on IdeaPad won't work well, in other words won't be supported.

    I wasn't lazy so I've checked IdeaPad 3 reviews on Linux Mint community, and it sais it [works pefectly](https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/28300). My question is does anybody here has a first-hand experience with running Linux Mint on IdeaPad 3 with configuration I've mentioned? I begging you please help me to make a decision while I can still catch discount on that IdeaPad I would like to buy.

    Greetings from Croatia!

    submitted by /u/vexzvex
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. I'm using a 13 year old HP Pavilion g4. I booted up Linux Mint and I got to this screen, I did the usual "exit", but then I had no idea what to do next. Any help appreciated!

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:23 AM PST

    How much space on your distro, I think?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:11 AM PST

    I'm new to Linux and got pop_os!

    I'm trying to figure out the learning curve, it's steep to say the least.

    I'm on a up-to-date laptop but looking at the disk usage analyzer, it says I have 19.7 GB total. In my opinion I've barely done anything and it's full!

    I've got a ton of questions, if anyone is familiar with this and would like to help me get over the hump, let me know! I could use the extra help!

    submitted by /u/Platonicrobotic9
    [link] [comments]

    Can't boot after installing Ubuntu onto older Mac from USB

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    I used a bootable USB on an old (2010-ish) Mac. I was able to boot into the Ubuntu trial with no issue, and from there I ran the installer without issue. When I remove the USB and boot, I get this error for about 10 seconds:

    Failed to Set MokListRT: Invalid Parameter Could not create mokListRT: Invalid Parameter Importing MOK states has failed: import_mok_state() failed: Invalid Parameter Continuing boot since secure mode is disabled.

    And then a black screen with no boot up. I've tried using the boot-repair application but it didn't change anything. Does anyone have suggestions?

    submitted by /u/go_take_a_knapp
    [link] [comments]

    Create Cron job

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:12 AM PST

    need to create a cron job that runs every 2 hours, with the command,

    arping -c 1 -s 216.179.161.72 216.179.161.254

    arping -c 1 -s 216.179.161.73 216.179.161.254

    arping -c 1 -s 216.179.161.74 216.179.161.254

    arping -c 1 -s 216.179.161.75 216.179.161.254

    arping -c 1 -s 216.179.161.76 216.179.161.254

    submitted by /u/tier_2_slave
    [link] [comments]

    Is Using WSL2 a viable way to learn Linux?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:04 AM PST

    What the title says.

    submitted by /u/Over-Double2981
    [link] [comments]

    Linux alternative to autocad?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    Is there a quality linux alternative to autocad? I need one for my college classe (no it isn't autocad class, it's advanced electronicbsystems design) it's either paper or cad files and I choose cad files

    submitted by /u/richtermani
    [link] [comments]

    How do I insert text from a file into a command?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:41 AM PST

    I had a very hard time trying to find the answer googling it, so let me explain:

    let's say I have a file "abc.txt" with a lot of text written in it, and I wanted to use it with a command like this: $ command [OPTIONS] {content of abc.txt}

    How do I do that?

    submitted by /u/195monke
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel