• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    Linux Updating kernel version without breaking drivers?

    Linux Updating kernel version without breaking drivers?


    Updating kernel version without breaking drivers?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:04 AM PST

    Hi! I'm an Ubuntu baby and I'm looking at updating my kernel for the first time. It automatically updated from version 5.4 to 5.8 and that broke the wifi driver I'm using (this one). With some kind and patient help on askubuntu I've removed the new kernel and switched back to 5.4, but it seems like I should try and update it since I'm four versions behind! Or at least try and install the driver properly so that it doesn't break when the system updates. Has anyone else had experience in updating or building drivers? (Commenters on the github page here seemed to indicate that I hadn't built the driver properly or at all since I just followed the installation instructions in the ReadMe lol)

    submitted by /u/eros_cestlavie
    [link] [comments]

    Can I set that every time an application tries to use my camera/mic or share my screen,that a window pops up where I have to give permissions to do that.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:28 AM PST

    I was scared when I realized that programs could just record my mic/camera/monitor and do whatever they want with it.

    So can I set,that whenever a program tries to do that,that a window pops up where I can click on "give permission" or "give no permission" and that that will happen every time the program tries to do that?

    submitted by /u/FreskoReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to play games from 2006 in a Windows VM in a GNU+Linux host machine?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:52 AM PST

    The title explains everything, so.. :) I just needed to know if it's possible or not. Thanks, friends!

    submitted by /u/theophinetheodore
    [link] [comments]

    How to diagnose random freezes (I think they're called core dumps?)

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:42 AM PST

    I think I finally got Manjaro to work without crashing, but it still does it sometimes.

    I'm having BSOD esque freezes where everything locks up, can't click on anything, the sound loops, that kind of stuff. And there's obviously no message that pops up when that happens.

    How do I diagnose what went wrong?

    submitted by /u/Sarahsota
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with GUI sizes

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:05 AM PST

    Error- booting Linux Pop_OS!

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:18 AM PST

    [FAILED] Failed to start Daily man-db regeneration.

    Why did this error occur and is it possible to fix it?

    submitted by /u/Platonicrobotic9
    [link] [comments]

    Gnome Notes showing notes stacked?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:14 AM PST

    I can't seem to find this anywhere, but gnome notes are no longer represented on the opening screen by individual notes. They're stacked in a list. None of the menu options have a way to change this. Tired of trying to search this on google.

    Fedora 33, notes 3.38 (it's been like this since fedora 31). How do i change it back?

    https://preview.redd.it/bhut6xnbsab61.png?width=641&format=png&auto=webp&s=4a5faf2db8b306fe21b3112032831916dc8edf0a

    submitted by /u/RowdyRidger19
    [link] [comments]

    Bluestacks

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:44 PM PST

    Anyone aware of a good Bluestacks alternative for Linux? I've done some searching online but have yet to find anything that looks promising. Just looking to play some android games on my PC 🤓

    submitted by /u/aRatherBlusteryGay
    [link] [comments]

    Boardband connection on manjaro xfce

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 01:46 PM PST

    I installed manjaro last night and i cant connect to ethernet even if there is a connection listed it is not my connection which is boardband can someone help? Btw i had this problem in windows too but there was another story and i had to create a new boardband connection and it just worked

    submitted by /u/Maggot009
    [link] [comments]

    Yum check-update upgradable from : XXX

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:34 AM PST

    Hi every one,

    New to admin sys Linux ( was in Windows before )

    I have to check for updates on our Linux servers (RHEL / Ubuntu) I have to do the comparison current version and update version and export to an Excel file

    For ubuntu no probem with the command

    root@ubuntu-serv01:~# apt list --upgradable

    Listing... Done

    alsa-ucm-conf/groovy-updates 1.2.2-1ubuntu5.1 all [upgradable from: 1.2.2-1ubuntu5]

    apport/groovy-updates 2.20.11-0ubuntu50.3 all [upgradable from: 2.20.11-0ubuntu50.1]

    But i don't find something that look like this output for RHEL, so i use Excel, so i use yum list installed and yum check-update and i made an VBA script to sort but that's not really the goal i wonder if there isn't a command for it

    Do you have any leads?

    Thx all :)

    submitted by /u/JuniorOUIOUI
    [link] [comments]

    GTK3+ app in Python - How to use text input through Gtk.Entry and bind Esc to closing the GTK window?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:33 AM PST

    I am trying to write a small script that will let me output text input from a small GTK window to a notetaking app. I have the beginning and the end of the pipeline down- I can draw the text window and put text in, and I have a shell script that sends text to the program when ran through terminal, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use Gtk.Entry()'s output as the argument of my shell script. Please help me figure out how I can direct the text written into Gtk.Entry() to a shell script when I press Enter. (My understanding is that by default this sends the 'activate' signal, which the .connect() method can then direct to a function.)

    I also want to figure out how to map the Esc key to closing the window (by making it send the 'destroy' signal I presume) but that is a secondary concern.

    Here is a pastebin with my script: https://pastebin.com/J1kpURFn

    (notejot-add.sh is the script which adds any following text to the notetaking app), and x is apparently empty and I do not know how to update it with the current value of the text.

    submitted by /u/aleph-nihil
    [link] [comments]

    Debian testing gnome not using my graphics card.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:54 PM PST

    In my settings, it shows my gpu is NVC1 / Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2), even though I am using a gt 635m. Is there anyway to make it use my NVIDIA card instead. I also cant use the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA, since they don't work with the latest steam proton.

    submitted by /u/yoloswaggar9000
    [link] [comments]

    How to make ctrl+alt act like AltGr

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:17 AM PST

    So I installed linux some time ago and the biggest issue I've had is with the keyboard. Basically with the finnish/nordic keyboard layout to type certain characters you need to use altgr ex. AltGr+2=@. The issue I'm having is that I'm used to using ctrl+alt for this as windows automatically maps it to pressing altgr.

    I've searched around a lot but haven't found any solutions that work. Most of what I've found just paste a chunk of xkb configuration I can't figure out how to use. The best solution I've currently found is using autokey to just read the key combo and insert the right character but this doesn't really work perfectly for most things.

    submitted by /u/DependentAppearance0
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to Install grub-customizer on Manjaro Linux.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:13 PM PST

    I have never used Manjaro before. Today I wanted to customize the grub bootloader so I went to install grub-customizer using the terminal. Whenever I want to install grub-customizer with pamac, I get this error.

    Warning: removing grub breaks dependency 'grub' required by grub-theme-manjaro Add grub-theme-manjaro to remove Error: Failed to prepare transaction: conflicting dependencies: - grub and grub-customizer are in conflict Resolving dependencies... Checking inter-conflicts... Error: Failed to prepare transaction: could not satisfy dependencies: - unable to satisfy dependency 'grub' required by grub-customizer 

    Now I'm not sure what should I do. Please help!

    submitted by /u/thejaguar07
    [link] [comments]

    Encrypting Linux before dual booting with W10

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:31 PM PST

    I'm using Fedora 33 on a NVMe SSD and I bought a SATA SSD for Windows 10. I'm concerned about Windows 10 Telemetry Requirements. Here's what I'd like to know:

    • I'm thinking about Encrypting my NVMe SSD with LUKS and installing Windows 10 normally on my SATA SSD. I'm doing this in order to prevent Windows 10 from doing anything on my Fedora disk (changing partitions, collecting data, etc.). Is this okay? Should I use a different encryption method?
    • I dual booted in the past, but both OSes were Linux distros. I'm planning to do something suggested here ... which is just installing both OSes normally. But I'd like to know if anybody has any advice regarding W10 telemetry system under these circumstances.

    Thank you very much. Any feedback is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FlyingBison99
    [link] [comments]

    How to enable gamemode on minecraft with under Manjaro KDE

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:23 PM PST

    Hello all

    I have a Manjaro KDE system

    CPU: Phenom II X4

    GPU: AMD 5850 video card running latest stable mesa

    How do i enable gamemode on minecraft java edition?

    https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode

    https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/store/minecraft-java-edition/

    Currently i launch the game from the desktop using the shortcut on the desktop

    I use STEAM for other games so if i have to use STEAM to launch minecraft thats fine

    submitted by /u/Cytomax
    [link] [comments]

    Help Removing Folder from external drive

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 11:17 AM PST

    Hi!I need some help removing a folder from external an drive. That folder was mounted in a docker volume.

    sudo rm -rf /folder hangs does nothing. folder belongs to root:root, 777 permission. All folders in that folder belong to www-data:www-data,750 permission

    chown, chmod hangs does nothing.

    Using a Raspberry Pi 4 with RaspbianOS. partition on the drive is 4TB, ext4 file system. culprit folder has ~200MB

    Please help me delete that folder :) Thanks

    submitted by /u/SGS1097
    [link] [comments]

    Kernel Update broke LinuxMint20

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:01 AM PST

    About an hour ago I clicked update Kernel which now I know was a mistake. Now I'm stuck in emergency mode. I'm on Dual Boot setup alongside Windows 10.

    https://imgur.com/a/XLfgjLs

    Image above is what it looks like when I boot. Please advise I'm a total Linux noob.

    submitted by /u/duka_loncic
    [link] [comments]

    How do I change lock screen wallpaper on Peppermint 10?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 10:24 AM PST

    I just spent an entire first season of Legend of Korra on the background trying to find a solution to this but nothing seems to work. It seems that many of the solutions are from years ago where users are asking about older versions of PM that doesn't on PM10. Farthest I've gotten is to put in [ gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf ], but I'm lost at what I'm suppose to do on Greeter.

    I'm assuming my issue is not being able to gain permission to change /usr/share/pepperming/images/peppermint-login.png as I would just swap out the png file.

    Please provide answers or questions in laymen's terms as I'm very new to this, thanks.

    Edit: SOLVED

    submitted by /u/GenesisInBlack
    [link] [comments]

    Trick to getting XFCE to change wallpapers?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    I know it may seem like a small gripe. But, I was wondering if anyone new the trick to get XFCE to change wallpapers properly by right-clicking them and saying set as wallpaper. Whenever I do that it always fails to actually put the image on my desktop. I have to go into settings and then go to the desktop tab area and then manually set a wallpaper. Which works. But, I would really like to just be able to right-click it and have it load. The option is there. So, the developers intend it to be a function. But, it never seems to work.

    I should add that this is in a virtual machine. So, that could be part of the problem why it is not working. But, I wanted to change my install from Pop OS with Gnome to Manjaro with XFCE and I truly like almost everything about xfce. I would just really like this function to work.

    Fyi, I have no problems with Pop OS I just wanted to go back to Manjaro...primarily for Pacman.

    submitted by /u/Techdesciple
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help regarding dualboot.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:23 AM PST

    Actually i accidentally f-ed up my dualboot by selecting windows partition. I was dualbooting kali and while selecting the partition dont know what happened to me, i selected windows partition and the process started to erase data on the partition. I quickly turned off my pc. Now what should i do?this is the prob that is being showed. 'sorry for my broken english'

    submitted by /u/rookiedojo
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to fully backup Rasperry pi install running off an M.2 using CLI?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    Hi,

    I've finally gotten my raspberry pi/ docker install down to a point where I'm happy usually I would install timeshift but this time I'm headless. I'm wondering what folders or methods are a good way to redeploy from this point to save time if anything goes wrong.

    Thankyou

    submitted by /u/Sirico
    [link] [comments]

    meteo weather widget - where is it?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:48 AM PST

    I installed a weather widget, meteo. It hangs up my computer and I can't change the location to where I live so I decided to delete the widget. I run 'locate meteo' in the terminal and nothing returns. In the applications menu the command for running the widget is 'com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo'. When I run 'locate com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo' nothing returns. Where is this widget stored? How do I locate it so I can delete it.

    No I didn't install meteo with a snap package, I installed it from a repository.

    edit/ I didn't install with flat pak.

    submitted by /u/oops77542
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet connection !

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:48 AM PST

    Ethernet connection

    I installed linux lite in my old pc for certain purpose but I don't know how to connect my pc to internet through ethernet option my pc don't have the option of Bluetooth/wifi.

    When I connected my mobile via USB cable it showed auto ethernet connection and when i opened Mozilla firefox and searched it shows please try again later

    I don't know anything about ip and all those things so i need some assistance, can any one give me an flowchart kind of thing to get connected by ethernet with my mobile and access internet. ( mobile is the only way i can access internet) That will help me !

    submitted by /u/mfreemanvoice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel