• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Linux 7 Bash tutorials to enhance your command line skills in 2021 | Opensource.com I thought others would be interested in this.

    Linux 7 Bash tutorials to enhance your command line skills in 2021 | Opensource.com I thought others would be interested in this.


    7 Bash tutorials to enhance your command line skills in 2021 | Opensource.com I thought others would be interested in this.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:28 AM PST

    I have been looking into making a linux usb stick that has persistent storage, is there a reason why there is is no releases directly distributed as iso working this way?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:32 AM PST

    Or if there are, please point me to one.

    edit: holy shit, this thing HAS the actual fucking sata caddy! WTF.

    i can just plug in a goddamn sata drive and be done with it.

    edit2: i'm leaving this if somebody else happens to find this with google or searching. Lots of good tips, thank you all.

    submitted by /u/zaphodi
    [link] [comments]

    How my first 48 hours of Linux went

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:44 PM PST

    Currently working on some personal projects related to a headless Raspberry Pi and Linux. First one was to be a SFTP-server with a dir set on an external hard drive (for personal storage). Following is the log I made for future me to remember the things I did:

    09/01/2020

    Enabled SSH to run headless

    Changed password of pi user

    Created new admin user

    Changed SSH port

    Set up static IP-address

    Created Cron Job to update SSH package daily at 00:00

    12/01/2020

    Created RaspPi folder in bookmarks

    Added relevant Docker links to RaspPi folder

    Reformatted external Toshiba HDD to EXT4 from ntfs

    Bricked RaspPi 4 by typing invalid commands in /etc/fstab trying to set umask=027 without nofail

    First lesson in dealing with the terminal. Should be fixable by fresh OS image or new bootdrive, then mounting and fixing bricked one..

    Safe to say that I learned a couple of things while taking the first few steps into terminal based shenanigans.

    Hope you have similar experiences with lots of learning and a relatively small price to pay for it.

    submitted by /u/ThorehTheFish
    [link] [comments]

    Turn your Manjaro Linux into Arch

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:27 AM PST

    What's the best foss pdf editor?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:16 AM PST

    I wanna edit text and put text into images and stuff like that.

    And I also want many print options.

    submitted by /u/FreskoReddit
    [link] [comments]

    touchpad two finger scrolling issue

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:10 PM PST

    first off, i am experiencing this behavior in most distros. currently on distro with plasma.

    I am gonna try to explain this as easily as possible because it's hard to understand.

    OK. So I have control panel open. Let's say the display settings.

    I can scroll up and down with two fingers on the TouchPad. So far so good? U with me?

    Here's the problem.

    There's a slider (as an example) that's horizontal for brightness that goes from right to left to control brightness.

    Here comes the problem :: if the mouse cursor is hovering on the brightness and I scroll up and down it starts to scroll the brightness control and not the control panel window...

    This is annoying. Because if a slide is under the cursor and I want to scroll the screen up and down it starts to activate the (whatever function) is under the cursor.

    submitted by /u/aalmosawi
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint frozen screen after driver update

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:24 PM PST

    Hi

    I installed Linux Mint today (first time linux...yeah!)

    After I installed the nvidia driver and restarted the system, the login screen froze after a few seconds. I could still login and open a consol (to reboot for example), but the screen remained unchanged.

    After a google research the recommendation was to add "nomoduleset" in Grub. But that did not fix the problem.

    Any idea what I can do?

    Thanks for reading.

    avo

    submitted by /u/avo_tm
    [link] [comments]

    Is it reasonable to refuse to use nano/vim for scripting

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:39 PM PST

    I have been playing around with a headless instance of Ubuntu Server. I have been wanting to write some small python scripts (scriptlets) to automate certain tasks, but was curious if there are any obvious drawbacks to hosting all of the code on Github, and coding on my system rather than coding on the server itself.

    submitted by /u/beyond_recognition
    [link] [comments]

    Security wise, what should I be looking for when I am looking at source code?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:49 AM PST

    Before I install some open source software I always feel like I should look through the code a bit to see if i can spot any funny web calls. Is this necessary? Is it not enough?

    submitted by /u/iAlsoAmNotkevinBacon
    [link] [comments]

    How could i run windows in kvm/qemu, which is installed on another partition

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:28 PM PST

    So, i want to boot windows, which is installed on another partition, in a virt-manager. Until now i tried to add my disk as a storage pool but it responds with this error:

    ```

    Error creating pool: Could not start storage pool: Requested operation is not valid: Format of device '/dev/nvme0n1p1' does not match the expected format 'dos'

    ```

    I haven't found anything really on the internet, explaining how to set this up.

    Any help would be appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/idiot10000000
    [link] [comments]

    (manjaro) how do i make linux use solely my nvidia graphic card?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:47 PM PST

    i do not want my intel graphic card to be used. i am perfectly happy with the nvidia one being utilized all the time. i dont want to run something like bumblebee ( not that i got it working anyway)

    so yeah, help pls!

    submitted by /u/chineseshillbot1993
    [link] [comments]

    Login loop after removing /home

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 06:31 AM PST

    So I installed ubuntu on a 2009 macbook pro and I did something in settings and now when I try to open settings or the software store number 2 is in the top left corner but Firefox opens normally. What have I done?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:24 PM PST

    Switching from Windows 10 to Linux (Help)

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:04 AM PST

    I am currently contemplating switching from Windows 10 to Linux. I have dabbled a bit in Kali and just about know my way around it from Virtual Machines and other tutorials it but I am unsure of weather or not I should actually do it.

    I only got this computer this Christmas just gone and am worried about messing it up or breaking it and don't want to risk loosing out on anything only available on Windows.

    If it helps, here is my PC specs:

    Processor - AMD A4-9120e RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C + 2G 1.50 GHz

    Installed Memory - 4.00 GB

    System Type - 64 bit Operating System, x64-Based Processor

    I need some encouragement and advice on what to do about. Any feedback / information would be much appreciated . Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Subject3748
    [link] [comments]

    Everytime I apt-get, it refuses saying exim4 isn't configured. (Debian 10)

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:36 AM PST

    Recently I got problems with my wifi and apperently I have to install drivers, well, now everytime I try to, this appears:

    Error: Unsplit config selected and /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template missing ... exiting
    dpkg: error processing exim4-config (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4-base:
    exim4-base depends on exim4-config (>= 4.30) | exim4-config-2; however:
    Package exim4-config is not configured yet.
    Package exim4-config-2 is not installed.
    Package exim4-config which provides exim4-config-2 is not configured yet.

    dpkg: error processing exim4-base (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4-daemon-heavy:
    exim4-daemon-heavy depends on exim4-base (>= 4.80); however:
    Package exim4-base is not configured yet.

    dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-heavy (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4:
    exim4 depends on exim4-base (>= 4.80); however:
    Package exim4-base is not configured yet.
    exim4 depends on exim4-daemon-light | exim4-daemon-heavy | exim4-daemon-custom; however:
    Package exim4-daemon-light is not installed.
    Package exim4-daemon-heavy is not configured yet.
    Package exim4-daemon-custom is not installed.

    dpkg: error processing exim4 (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    exim4-config
    exim4-base
    exim4-daemon-heavy
    exim4
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    (note i got this error message on another site asking for help, bacause my message is in a different language, but it'd the same.)

    I tried to purge all exim4 and install again, but it doens't work. please help.

    submitted by /u/sendpicsofreptiles
    [link] [comments]

    Learn command line basics free

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:30 AM PST

    I am teaching command line basics on my discord server of anyone is willing to learn please pm me to get the link

    submitted by /u/def_lol
    [link] [comments]

    Downscaled monitor is blurry

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:13 AM PST

    I've downscaled (due app scaling issues) my laptops monitor from 4k to 1080p and now everything is blurry. I've only changed the resolution in settings:

    https://preview.redd.it/q95x0qplf5b61.png?width=670&format=png&auto=webp&s=273bf576d4e9cb05079cb3b9871757eeb98f87ae

    Native sharpness and resolution:

    https://preview.redd.it/qeu7cwcbg5b61.png?width=1271&format=png&auto=webp&s=09bd1f71cd153ef3eb68c5a0c517bb88c5dbec81

    Any idea what could I try to enhance sharpness?

    submitted by /u/1Houser1
    [link] [comments]

    arch linux

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:27 AM PST

    i am seting up arch linux and i ran the command

    grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

    and i get the error

    grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: no such file or directory.

    can anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/Logical_Touch1061
    [link] [comments]

    Why does grep not find the line?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 03:31 AM PST

    EDIT: I misstyped xxd, my fault

    Why does grep not find xdd?

    As you can see when i used grep to find the string "cp" there is also xdd in the same line, why did

    grep -r xdd not work?

    This Plugin said it needs xdd installed, i cant find it via standard apt-get so i tried to search the code where its needed.

    submitted by /u/ColonelNein
    [link] [comments]

    Git : askpass

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:42 AM PST

    Help with MSI Trident 3

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:24 AM PST

    I have installed Linux Mint 20.1, It boots with nomodeset, but I can't install nVidia graphics driver. The sound card doesn't show up either. Any help?

    submitted by /u/fletcher73
    [link] [comments]

    How can remove the Blue border on the windows from this theme? THEME: https://github.com/vinceliuice/Canvas-theme

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:17 AM PST

    Intermediate level online courses/resources

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 10:10 AM PST

    Hello,

    I've been teaching myself linux for a year or so now. I've got a fundamental understanding of bash. Writing functions, input/output redirection, file system management/user management. I wrote a performance monitor script that logs cpu, memory, disk utilization, and network utilization to help me understand all the different filters linux has. I feel like there's sooooo much I still need to learn. Can someone recommend any online resources under $50/free that can teach me the fundamentals of linux administration at an enterprise level? Every online course says beginner to advanced and covers mostly stuff I already know. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/raistlindte
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a tool to download Youtube live streams while the stream is going on? (I'm using MX Linux)

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:53 AM PST

    My teachers do live streams of lectures on YouTube, they've started privatising the video after the live stream is over. So I want to download the video lectures while they are being streamed for future reference, how to do so? Average live stream length is 2-3 hours. Don't suggest to record the live stream

    submitted by /u/shibuzaki
    [link] [comments]

    Can I manipulate windows through terminal/bash commands in Wayland?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:52 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel