• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    IT Career With Red Hat ending their support for Centos going forward will that affect the demand for RHCSA?

    IT Career With Red Hat ending their support for Centos going forward will that affect the demand for RHCSA?


    With Red Hat ending their support for Centos going forward will that affect the demand for RHCSA?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:49 AM PST

    Been studying for RHCSA and my lead told me because of this Ubuntu server may become more popular. I think I have an okay grasp of Linux rn but I want to know how I can demonstrate I know it really well to future employers.

    Should I still get that RHCSA and eventually RHCe?

    Should I deploy a Linux server on digital ocean and try to build and manage a site?

    Should I go for the Ubuntu edition of LFCS?

    I'm a Sys Ad now and I eventually want to be in cloud/Devops

    submitted by /u/Jonnyluver
    [link] [comments]

    I got an email today about a phone interview for an entry level help desk job! Need some tips!

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:09 AM PST

    So I'm about 1 week away from taking my A+ 1002 and finishing my A+, the employer knows this as I wrote it in my cover letter.

    I have zero professional IT experience but 5 years of professional experience in Child welfare and juvenile corrections. I understand the experience is not relevant but is there a way I can use it to my benefit?

    I also have a BS degree in Criminology, unrelated I know.

    Any tips would be well appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Mandalore777
    [link] [comments]

    Wait...you're offering how much? [Little mini-rant] [SWFL]

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:02 AM PST

    So I interviewed for a Network Technician position with a mental and behavioral health company that has multiple locations and has contracts for supporting other surrounding counties and businesses. So there will be travel involved. In total, they support about 1,000 PC's, a couple hundred servers with about 10 or so virtualized on Hyper-V, and about 30 or so iPads. All general estimates obviously.

    The guy that I am interviewing for his spot had decided he wanted to be closer to family and by the time I would start, he would be gone, but they have a contract for him to help remotely for a bit until some date I'm not aware of. I'd also like to note that the manager, albeit sounds like a nice guy, works remote from his home every day unless something requires his physical presence. Anything higher up that needs to be done but doesn't specifically require his presence, this position (me) would be the one to handle it.

    Anyways, I was kinda excited about moving up to a higher position since I've been utilizing skills above my current position. I received a call yesterday from their HR lady and she said they'd like to extend a contingent offer (contingent on passing my background check and drug test).

    I said great and waited for her to read it off to me.

    They offered $17/hr ($35,360/yr)...

    She asked if that was acceptable so I said I was hoping for more towards $21.64/hr ($45,011/yr). She told me she has to talk to some person and get back to me.

    She called back shortly after and said that $22/hr was the max pay for the position which requires 10-12 years of experience to get so their highest and best final offer is $18.39/hr ($38,251).

    If I had nothing else, I would go for this. I make $30k a year right now but since I work for the university, all of my classes are paid for by the school which would be about $15k for the year if I went spring and fall, or about $21k if I go all year round (which I am). My thought process was if I can get at least $45k/yr, I'll just go back to a normal school schedule and only go in the spring and fall while using the extra pay to cover tuition, then once I graduate, all that extra money starts going into my pocket.

    But back to the position, that just seems a lot lower than it should be. Granted, it is technically a non-profit but c'mon, 10+ years of experience just to max out at $45k to be a Network Tech? And you want to hire someone for $17/hr to work on your network? That's not much more than McD's is paying the burger flipper across the street!

    Mini-rant over. Questions or Comments?

    ETA: I guess I should mention that I graduated with an AAS in Network Systems and am currently going for a BS in IT, so it's not like I don't have schooling and some experience to back up the requested pay

    submitted by /u/OverlordWaffles
    [link] [comments]

    Does UBreakIFix count as IT experience? What do you think?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:55 AM PST

    Got an offer from UBreakIFix for a field technician who drives a company vehicle from place to place fixing electronics on the spot, which will include laptops and PCs, but probably a lot of phones as well. Right now I'm desperate for any kind of entry-level IT role just to put some experience on my resume. I'm afraid most helpdesk roles in my area require clearance that I probably won't be eligible for. Does this count as IT experience or is it too far out of the wheelhouse of IT to really count?

    submitted by /u/thelastvortigaunt
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about switching from networking to programming

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:58 AM PST

    I am currently finishing my second semester of college for a Cloud Networking degree and am no longer sure that it's what I want to do. I've been working a helpdesk job for a few years and was planning on going down the sysadmin route, but I just finished up a class where I had to write powershell scripts and actually had fun whilst writing them. Now I'm reconsidering my entire plan and am wondering if I might want to switch to something more code-based. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/yungevergreen
    [link] [comments]

    What are some common issues you face in Tech Support?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:37 AM PST

    I've been working as a junior IT technician and I'm making notes on basically everything as its pretty quite here, and wanted to know some common tech issues you've come across so that I kinda have an idea if that ever happens to me :)

    submitted by /u/ya_boi_maxx
    [link] [comments]

    Switching Career to Network Engineer or sys admin at a Big Company. What are my chances?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 11:24 PM PST

    I dropped out of University (B.SC COMP SCI) after two and a half years and got a job as a software developer. I started at a car sharing startup and moved my way up to working for a company that built software for the government, it was a small team but we did big things haha.

    I want to switch to networking. So from what I have read its usual to start at help desk and work your way up to network admin and then network Engineer. So here are my questions:

    1. Do you get to travel a lot in this field? (I love traveling! currently learning French in hopes of moving to Ottawa!)
    2. With my background how hard is it going to be to get my first job in this field with a CCNA at a good company?
    3. Once I get my citizenship in 2 months I plan on applying to the canadian armed forces in the hopes of working for their network or cybersecurity team. If anyone works for the armed forces can you tell me what my chances are considering I do well on the CFAT?
    4. Any Advice/Opinion would be appreciated!!! :)
    submitted by /u/23594F4C4F
    [link] [comments]

    Is IAM (Identity Access Management) a good and stable career?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:55 AM PST

    I just received an offer to escape helpdesk for an IAM role at a major company.

    Is this a good move? Is it a stable job safe from outsourcing? Anyone have any experience?

    submitted by /u/NYCHelpDeskJobHunt
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about working in IT field from a student

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:55 AM PST

    Hi everyone

    I am a computer science student from belgium.

    I was assigned the task to interview a few people that work in the IT field preferably those who do something programming related.

    Feel free to answer these questions, i would appreciate it a lot. You can send me a private message with the answers if you would like to include your name or the company name you work(ed) for.

    1. Which company do you work for? Is it a small startup or a big corporation?
    2. What kind of job do you do?
    3. What do you typically do on a normal day?
    4. What did you study and/or when did you get interested in this kind of profession?
    5. What are the pros and cons?
    6. Do you see yourself doing this in 10 years?
    7. Do you work in a big team or do you work more on your own?
    8. How did the global pandemic affect you and your career?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/EvilAssassinKing
    [link] [comments]

    Office is forcing me to work out in the office with the other cubicles instead of the server room

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:47 AM PST

    Just started classes for programming. I have ZERO experience or knowledge in the field. Can someone answer a few questions for me regarding school, daily life, jobs, etc?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:25 AM PST

    Hello! If I sound stupid or ignorant in any way please let me know. I just have such limited knowledge on this topic.

    A little about me:

    I feel like this may sound lame but in middle school when Myspace was popular I was really into writing code and creating my own layouts. I just thought it was incredible how a line of code (that didn't seem to make any sense to me) could create different elements. I was just proud that I did that. I didn't copy and paste someone else's layout code. I did it myself and I thought that was cool.

    Fast forward to high school. I went to a really bad school. The second worst in the entire state. So when I say my teachers didn't teach us I mean that. My high school experience consisted of hanging out in the gym, reading books, and leaving early.

    Because of this when I started college right after graduation I was SEVERELY unprepared and dropped out because I felt so stupid and defeated. Due to that it's taken me ten years to finally get the courage to go back to school. When I was thinking about what I wanted to do IT was a no brainer. It's just been a long time and I feel like I'm starting fresh so I'm extremely nervous. Not to mention I now work full time and have a child.

    Knowing all of that I have a few questions. They're totally random but if anyone could provide any insight I'd be extremely appreciative.

    1. Do people with absolutely no experience or knowledge often decide to come into this field? What was the reason YOU chose this field?
    2. What did you get your degree in? Do you regret choosing that path?
    3. I'm extremely antisocial and socially awkward. Dealing with people can often be difficult for me and is something that has always caused issues in my life. How much verbal communication do you deal with? I don't mind emails/texts/etc. But verbal communication with strangers is uncomfortable. (I do know that I can't expect to never deal with people and will definitely push through no matter what. I'm just trying to get a general idea.)
    4. What do you do? Please explain it to me like I'm an idiot if you can. What is your daily work life like? For example do you work in a call center or somewhere else? Do you travel? Do you work weird hours?
    5. I know this is a field that is constantly changing so staying up to date is crucial. Do you find this difficult to do? (I currently work with things regarding laws which also change. I enjoy learning new things and staying up to date.)

    I know college is hard no matter what you're going for so I'm not expecting anything to be easy. I just need a change in my life and this is something that I've always thought about. So if you have any advice at all I'd love for you to share. Thank you

    submitted by /u/CoatHead7927
    [link] [comments]

    I want to consultative selling and negotiation skills

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:28 AM PST

    I'm looking to break into Tech consulting and want to learn the approach of consulting and skills of negotiations. Could you please direct me towards resources for the above?

    I'm 33 year old going back to school to get BS in Information Technology and eventually start a Masters in AI engineering by age 36.

    I'm really interested in artificial intelligence and want to learn that further. I came to this decision recently. I hope to break into AI Consultation within 10 years with proper education and background.

    Do you all think this is possible?

    submitted by /u/cloud_messenger
    [link] [comments]

    Working as a field technician be a good way to get into it support

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 04:19 PM PST

    As a field technician it will include Installing products and service to people homes and business, Setting up Broadband, TV and Phone. They also ask from no experience, All training will be given

    Would this be a good way to get some sort of experience in IT or wait and continue trying for roles like helpdesk.

    because of covid i lose my job and was thinking Field technician would be a good job to get some money through the door. It would be a bonus if it would help my IT career

    submitted by /u/I-am-Parzival
    [link] [comments]

    Degree and experience overseas does that count?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:56 AM PST

    I have a degree in Information Technology overseas with 11 years experience in SAP Sec. It's been a year since but still hasnt found a SAP Sec job, or an IT job for that matter. I am a green card holder,is that the problem why I'm not getting any offers? I've seen some postings requiring to be a US Citizen. Any advice will help please.

    submitted by /u/Square_Lead698
    [link] [comments]

    Career Options Following MS in Business Analytics vs Information Systems

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 07:56 PM PST

    I've been working actively in IT for about two years post-graduating CS in 2018, and am looking to pursue an MS. I've been interested in two paths through experience and speaking with certain clients who've offered their insights.

    Information Systems seems attractive to me as it's a natural transition from my current role (IT Professional wearing multiple hats from Support to System Engineer, helping manage team and heading training). I enjoyed SQL and Database Management, and would love to learn practical application that would come with this program.

    Business Analytics is also very attractive to me, as speaking to coworkers and clients who work with Tableau, Power BI, Python, etc. I've been learning Python on the side outside of work and am enjoying writing code since it's been awhile since I've really dug down and written programs. I see prospects for BA to be a bit more desirable, but that could just be the people I've spoken to influencing me.

    So from people with experience in these fields, can anybody offer advice on what these paths might lead me down, and maybe help in making a decision?

    submitted by /u/ArticAce
    [link] [comments]

    Should I quit my job, and if so what is the best way to find a new one?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 05:20 PM PST

    I've been debating the same thing. My IT job is at help desk 14 an hour. But, now with the new year we're getting 40 to 60 calls a day along with 10 to 25 slas per person and chats. Sometimes we have to multitask between all 3 at once. As far as breaks we only get 2 15 min breaks and 1 30 min lunch break. Haven't even been trained on the job except how to answer a call and barely fill out a ticket. The rest of the 20 types of software the company uses, MAC and win os, and other issues I've had to go through kbs and learn myself or guess what to do. I've debated leaving, but I don't know how to get a job quickly. I've applied through 60 jobs on indeed and only got one call. I had 8 recruiters call me out of the blue, but then they ghost after a week. Idk if their just calling cause they get paid per person they call and that's it or what. I have 5 certs though 3 CompTIA and 2 Microsoft, so idk how I'm not qualified for these jobs? Any other ideas? Should I leave my job or am I just overreacting? I've been here around 7 months.

    submitted by /u/ElectricOne55
    [link] [comments]

    Which way Can My Career Go and where can I find my dream job?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:05 AM PST

    I'm 30 years old, white male. I'm a PC Support Technician for a large size company and have been for about 1.5 years. The logical steps I can imagine my career going is "Jr System Engineer/Server Admin/Network Engineer"

    My dream job is to work remotely 100%, review/approve access requests from ticket system, and answer emails about Active Directory. Is there a job out there like this? (Maybe also attend meetings every now and then)

    submitted by /u/Finaglers
    [link] [comments]

    Pluralsight vs Udemy vs other training websites/materials?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    I haven't seen it mentioned here. Is it worth it? Is it respected?

    I am attempting a mid-life career shift into IT as my industry (live sound production) is basically dead right now. Currently I am taking Neil Anderson's CCNA course and I have already purchased Mike Meyer's A+ course on Udemy as well. After that, I dont really know where I would go. I do know I am interested in learning Linux and Python. (I also have a Rpi 4 to tinker with as a learning tool. Right now I am planning to set up Pihole, but any suggestions for other fun learning projects with it, I'm all ears.)

    Recently a family member floated the idea of getting me a year's subscription to Pluralsight as a birthday present. They work for a govt staffing agency which gives a free subscription to Pluralsight to everyone in their org. They say basically everyone loves it.

    Should I go for it? Or would the money be better spent on a different site like Skillsoft or different training materials? Or stick to Udemy?

    Edit- fixed formatting

    submitted by /u/DILGE
    [link] [comments]

    Is a technical support role in an iSP an IT job? mainly serving/supporting business to customers services

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 03:50 PM PST

    Hey pros of IT, ​ I want to get my break in IT and I have the opportunity during these hard times to have 2 offers (very grateful btw)

    • B2C, technical support role for a big ISP in my region to actual customers who use their service. I did a few searches in the subreddit and apparently, this type of role just follow a "script" and you're basically a punching bag to the customers. Some description include: troubleshooting cable, fiber, television, phone services. I feel like I do not touch the IT aspect as much.. like no Active Directory, BSOD, etc.
    • B2B, technical support role too for an IT consulting firm (sort of like a MSP, but a lot bigger) so I will not be the only one helpdesk doing 300 tickets a day. Did some research on the company, and apparently, since the company is very big, the roles are very specific and separated. Hence, we also follow a "script" and if it doesn't solve the issue, we bring it up to another level/right department. The role description for this position seems much more IT-like (logging, troubleshooting Office, hardware, all that basic stuff that helpdesk usually does)

    Again I am grateful to be in this position, I understand that experience no matter what is experience, just go for it, but now I have the opportunity between these 2 roles, which one would provide a better outlook into my future in IT? ​

    Some other information is that the job at the ISP pays quite a bit more than the other one, but money is not an issue for me thankfully.. but still, a $6-7/h difference is quite substantial. Right now, my far-end goal is to get into deep networking (Network Admin/Engineer) in the future. I will be working on my Cisco certs soon enough. ​

    TL;DR I am worried that a technical support job at an ISP is not my foot in the door into IT. It does pay good though and I am debating, because I have another option. I would not ask, if I didn't had any other option since any experience is experience. ​

    Main Question is: Are Technical Supports at an ISP for B2C customers valid experience as an IT entry-level job? Main Roles in the Job Description include: troubleshooting TV, phone, cable, fiber, Internet. ​ Thanks

    submitted by /u/throw_away2678
    [link] [comments]

    Should I quit my job, and if so what is the best way to find a new one?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 05:05 PM PST

    My IT job is at help desk 14 an hour. But, now with the new year we're getting 40 to 60 calls a day along with 10 to 25 slas per person and chats. Sometimes we have to multitask between all 3 at once. As far as breaks we only get 2 15 min breaks and 1 30 min lunch break. Haven't even been trained on the job except how to aswer a call and barely fill out a ticket. The rest of the 20 types of software the company uses, MAC and win os, and other issues I've had to go through kbs and learn myself or guess what to do. I've debated leaving, but I don't know how to get a job quickly. I've applied through 60 jobs on indeed and only got one call. I had 8 recruiters call me out of the blue, but then they ghost after a week. Idk if their just calling cause they get paid per person they call and that's it or what. I have 5 certs though 3 CompTIA and 2 Microsoft, so idk how I'm not qualified for these jobs? Any other ideas? Should I leave my job or am I just overreacting? I've been here around 7 months. I've also tried to stay in this job long as possible to have something on my resume since it's my only IT job, but would it look bad if I left after 7 months?

    submitted by /u/ElectricOne55
    [link] [comments]

    Audio/visual for an managed service provider does that help any

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 04:30 PM PST

    I got a job at an msp which is like a help desk for audio and visual. Either way I will take the job for now but I was wondering if this will help my career in any way? It's unfortunate that they do not currently have a help desk position open

    submitted by /u/greatyer
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on sticking with Comptia to continue IT education?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 07:51 PM PST

    Do you feel like you learned everything you needed to know or ended up needing to know in your IT career from Comptia? Overall, how reputable is Comptia compared to other certification providers?

    submitted by /u/A_Guy_on_Reddit_Yep
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel