• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, January 11, 2021

    IT Career [January 2021] Ask the Experts - IT Management

    IT Career [January 2021] Ask the Experts - IT Management


    [January 2021] Ask the Experts - IT Management

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 01:12 AM PST

    Do you have an interest in IT Management as a job or career choice? Are there things that you have wanted to know but not been able to find a resource to ask?

    Some scenarios for potential questions:

    • Ever had a question you wanted to ask your manager but didn't think it would come out right?
    • Ever wonder what the heck your Director was thinking when they decided to not hire someone?
    • Do you want to join the ranks of management but not sure if it is a right fit?
    • Ever want to know how managers got where they are now?

    Ask the Experts is an opportunity for the community to answer questions for each other or provide general advice on their respective field to people interested in joining your ranks.

    NOTE: Experts when you answer, please give an indication of your experience in the field.

    Example:

    Regional Manager for 8 years, Director for 3 years.

    MOD NOTE: This is part of a weekly series. Next week is Networking.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone actually even semi-enjoy help desk/tech support?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 03:49 PM PST

    Im just wondering because im a little over a year out of college with about 10months experience and this field has been the most soul-crushing thing I've ever done.

    Warning kind of long rant...

    I decided I wanted to make the jump to data analytics at some point over the last year so I started studying sql, excel, some python, and stats. I know that's a little outside of IT.

    I keep telling myself its all temporary and that I'll get to a better place, but then a weekend ends and monday comes and I get depressed and feel like Im living in groundhog day. Its hard to apply what I learn at work. I'm kept busy and don't really feel I have time to explore ways to improve things.

    I've thought about trying out system or network admin work. For me a job isnt everything, but still for some reason I obsess with my disatisfication with work. I dont find my identity in a job. I more find it in hobbies and friends an family. I dont have any dreams of grandeur with IT. Honestly a dream is to work for a non-profit, government, or university... I do look for some level of meaning in my work and reseting passwords and re-installing printer drivers all day doesnt do it for me.

    There is so much pressure in this field. Pressure to always be working on the next Cert. Pressure to just eat and breathe IT. And the contract work is shit. A year out of college and I still have no benifits. With my current contract to hire my contract got extended last minute. I honesty was infuriated. Companies just dont want to hire directly.I feel like we are treated as expandable.

    I want to like this field, because there is endless work, but some days I feel like my soul is being chipped away.

    The majority of my day is spent trying to explain things like that the computer isnt inside the monitor and I often just want to break something everytime the phone rings.

    Ever since college it is very hard to want to look at anything IT related outside work. I know I should be getting the CCNA or staying up late coding or working on a AWS cert.. right? But its hard, becuase I already spent 8 hours sitting on my butt infront a computer....

    To wrap it up, I am hating tech support and it doesnt get better. Im unsure if IT is the right field. Ive convinced myself that maybe I should focus on data analytics, but every once and awhile I wonder if I should stick with IT and do something like system or network admin. I know this isnt something you can decided for me lol.

    I work from home and just answer call after call after call. I'd rather work at a team then interface with random customers all day that I dont know because there are too many to learn.

    EDIT: wow came back after 24 hour to 55 more comments. gotta give me time to read.

    submitted by /u/Cautious-Ad5919
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being under paid for my field technician position?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 05:41 AM PST

    I live in rural Indiana. I'm a field technician for petrol stations. I've been doing the job 2+ years. I have a high school diploma and an A+. I get paid $16.48/hr with a $380 bonus check each month for reimbursement for damage to my vehicle [I have to use my personal vehicles, and drive an average of 300 miles a week on the clock], and for cell phone use. I get a fleet card for on-the-clock gas expenses. My job mostly consists of replacing parts, working with Windows, installing/troubleshooting software, managing networks, training/educating faculty, working with Microsoft Office suite, working on payment systems, etc. It's mostly grunt work.

    Some people think I'm paid fairly, other people disagree, and my fiancée especially disagrees.

    We have a hard time getting by, I have 3 loans from not being able to keep up with the previous job I had, and I just don't make enough to catch up, now. Both of my vehicles are old, and to properly fix them up, I would need a couple thousand dollars, and I have to put money into them every month. Every week, my finances are so tight that I feel guilty for buying a single $1 coffee, and that is my biggest splurge 99% of the time. If I didn't have so many problems, it would be different, I suppose, but I just am not making enough to get ahead.

    So, I'm not sure if I'm getting paid fairly, or if I'm just unfortunate and have a lot of problems. I've considered getting a weekend job to grind through this, but my fiancée doesn't want me to spend the time doing that. And long term, I don't want to drive my two vehicles into oblivion working for this place.

    submitted by /u/Horsemeat_Deity
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be possible to get a full time job in IT (support, help desk etc) whilst studying for my degree in cyber security?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 07:34 AM PST

    On the 6th of February I am starting my BSc (Hons) in cyber security. It is distant learning so I would like to get a job in IT about a year into my degree. I understand it's unrealistic to assume I can just go straight into a job in cyber security once I have completed my degree, so I would like full time work in another IT industry whilst I study.

    I am in London, and right now we are in a full lockdown. I have been looking for full time jobs in things like IT support, help desk etc. But a lot of them are looking for graduates, or people who already have experience in the same kind of role. Is this what it is like all the time or is the Covid lockdown having an impact on job searching? Would it be beneficial for me to do some free work experience within a similar role first? A summer internship maybe? I see GCHQ offer some good summer internships within the IT sector.

    Also, I am a 20 year old woman. It is to my understanding that there isn't really a lot of women working within cyber security. So if anyone could shed some light on this I would be grateful! How many women do you work alongside within your role? Are there many women on this sub?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/throwaway_5726
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I begin on learning the basics for eventually working as a SysAdmin?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:23 AM PST

    I'm sure this has been asked and discussed about way too many times, but I've been trying to do some research and there's so much information out there that I can't really get a clear path on where to start (certs, courses, etc.) I also understand you can't just start in SysAdmin, but I want to know a good reasonable position to aim for, at least.

    I've been wanting to get into it for some time now. I don't really have any experience in it, but I want to start somewhere (I'm basically fresh out of HS), specially to see if I have what it takes and if it's what's right for me. I've read and done a good amount of research but it's all still a bit vague. Any help or information would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ItsChroniclez
    [link] [comments]

    Role Change: Solutions Architect > Technical Account Manager?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 07:28 AM PST

    Hi All,

    I am currently a Pre-Sales Solutions Architect for a major tech company. I help solution mostly Networking Services. However, the role as an SA at my current is extremely convoluted and i've found the hard way that the role I have currently does not line up well with the SA opportunities in the industry...

    I've also learned the hard way that I am technical, but not technical enough to be leading Enterprise Technology Digital Transformation projects. I am just now learning to be okay with this and am accepting that I can make a greater impact by working on the "people" side of technology. I feel like I have good experience working at the enterprise level by supporting senior SAs and leading smaller pursuits within Networking Space (we sell network consulting & deployment services). Thanks to my current role, I've grown to understand TPC/IP, SDN, ITSM, WLAN, LAN, etc. However, I can't live in it if that makes sense.

    Given my Pre-Sales experience, I thought taking on a Post-Sales role as a Technical Account Manager (TAM) could be a natural next step given that I understand how escalations look like when customers aren't happy at the enterprise level, how Delivery approaches IT projects, and what role operations plays in IT.

    Does anybody have any experience moving from a Pre-Sales SA or Sales Engineer role into a TAM role? My concern is that my resume and experience may be looked over by recruiters as I try to take on a role change. Additionally... I would prefer getting out of the HW space and more into the SW space. I assume this will be challenging in that I don't have direct cloud or programming experience.

    submitted by /u/HumanBeannn
    [link] [comments]

    Old school PHP developer, going to study Python, have a student job offer for Symfony.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 06:52 AM PST

    Hello, I am going to start a Msc degree come February in another country. The programming courses in the Msc are about Python. I'm going to need a student/part time job to sustain my needs, I was contacted by a company in the same city that are searching for a Symfony fullstack dev.

    Now I'm wondering, would it be a easy to adopt Symfony since I'm quite good with raw PHP? Or should I instead concentrate on learning Python and search for a job with Python dev?

    submitted by /u/Haki_User
    [link] [comments]

    Going back to school for computer science. Thinking of taking a pay cut and getting into IT while I go back to school to reduce stress and give me more time (currently work 60 hrs/week). I want to know if getting entry level IT experience will be valuable in my CS career pursuits.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 03:06 AM PST

    I'm currently a construction project engineer (not a real engineer) for a large construction company. Would it be better to continue in my current project management-ish role or would having IT experience while I go back to school help me out more in post-college placement? Will be looking for a software engineer job.

    Luckily I'm pretty good financially so I'm willing to take a hit to speed up my cs degree and gain relevant experience.

    submitted by /u/DreadPirateG_Spot
    [link] [comments]

    IT Project Manager here, seeking raise advice (due to increased workload)

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 06:46 AM PST

    My partner quit, need help talking to boss about next steps I work as a Project Manager for an IT Company. Over the past year the team has dissolved from 20 engineers and 6 PMs to 2 PMs and 7 engineers. It's been difficult to say the least, but we've held in there. Received an all new org structure a few months ago and are still adjusting. My partner just quit and while we recently got someone else to help out, I'll still really have the bulk of our work. Not sure what my next steps should be. I feel like this is when I talk to my boss and say "hey, so much more work and I also wanna leave. lemme get an extra 20k" but I've never been in that position. I can definitely speak to the huge increase of work I've taken on over the past year, but since he's only had us for a few months, I don't think it'll hold much sway. Also, obviously I'm looking around at other roles. Been being a bit picky, but that will probably be changing soon. Looking for guidance on how to approach an initial discussion with my leadership team.

    submitted by /u/hoobajooba345
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some career insight and having a hard time finding anything on the internet that is helpful.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:31 AM PST

    Hello, I'm currently gearing up for my senior year at Mizzou and pursuing a degree in IT. So far I've had a programming class every semester, this includes python as well as JavaScript and it looks like there's more to come. My problem is I really dislike programming and I have no idea how to write code without seeing an example of said code. It's like, how do I know how a car engine works without seeing the insides? Nevertheless, my question is, are there positions out there that don't require a lot or any coding at all?

    submitted by /u/Jamoke_Bloke
    [link] [comments]

    ACI Learning/LeaderQuest contacted me... is this a good idea?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:18 AM PST

    Hey everyone! I am a 28 year old Army veteran who is looking to settle down and get into a new career field after being in the military and subsequently traveling the country cattle ranching for a few years (fun!).

    Anyways, I had never really thought about going into IT/tech/cybersecurity before, but this seems to be like something that might be a good fit. Good job security/pay, and the Army would pay for the 3 certs that I would need to get an entry level job, and the company says they would help with job placement after the certs are complete.

    The company that does the training is called ACI Learning, and their website is www.leaderquestonline.com

    Is this legit? Can I really get 3 certs in 10 weeks, help with job placement and expect to get a decent paying job (40k ish) in my area with reasonable work hours? Are there other cert websites that would do the same thing and be less expensive (they say that program is 13k - the army would pay for the training but I'd rather save my education benefits if I could). I have a bachelors degree in something useless (ugh) and 0 experience in anything computer related.

    Thanks for all of your help!

    submitted by /u/the_ranch_gal
    [link] [comments]

    What are the �� KEYS �� to troubleshooting(Help Desk)?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 07:00 AM PST

    Hey Redditors,

    After lurking reddit posts, revising my resume like 40+ times, and hella studying I finally got a desktop support job at a MSP.

    But like... all that school and studying barely helped much. There are so many weird problems that come up and throw me for a whole loop, but I pass it up and the guy figures it out relatively quickly. I be on Udemy and Wikipedia and reading books all day, and none of that stuff tells you why this lady's Outlook search function won't show recent emails, or why a user can't connect to a terminal server.

    Of course there's the cookie-cutter way of troubleshooting problems by using a type of scientific method (Identify, Hypothesize, Test, Implement, etc.) but I'm sure these guys don't even do all that.

    So my question is: <b>Where is this secret scroll of solutions to weird application and OS quirks?<\b>

    submitted by /u/wowmystiik
    [link] [comments]

    I have worked for 5 years as a contractor doing Web Development. Now I feel stuck and outdated and want to request for education time off

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 02:27 AM PST

    Edit: unpaid** education time off

    I am weary that this can lead to me eventually getting fired.

    The pay is good, the work is starting to feel tedious and repetitive, but at the same time is more or less flexible.

    The idea is to learn new stuff and maybe get into Data Science, but it isn't a clear path.

    Any recommendations to not tumble?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/glorious_pericco
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from a design career to being IT support/technician?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    I have worked as a digital + motion designer creating online content for 3 years and I have been thinking of pursuing a career in IT. How achievable is this? And what are the steps to get there? I live in London, UK and I have a Graphic Design bachelors degree.

    submitted by /u/alpacauwot
    [link] [comments]

    Bug xs is a platform for pentesters and those learning-to-be one with a passion for bug hunting.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:23 AM PST

    We provide bug bounty/pentesting trainings from beginners to intermediate and intermediate to advance level and training sessions on competitive coding.

    Currently the registrations for Bug Bounty training is live, checkout our website www.bugxs.co for more details regarding the sessions or just DM us on our instagram page @bug_xs (https://instagram.com/bug_xs?igshid=e5o1so736yf7 )

    And do have a look at our youtube channel for various bug bounty tutorials https://youtube.com/c/BUGXS

    Along with the details about training session ,you would also find various vulnerability reports and many bug bounty tools that would make your bug hunting experience a cake walk, all on our website www.bugxs.co

    submitted by /u/Impressive_Ad_1009
    [link] [comments]

    Soon-to-be Helpdesk Manager... Advice? Resources? Philosophies?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:53 AM PST

    I am hoping to be the obvious candidate to replace my supervisor as Service Desk Manager. I've done the job, more or less, in his absence. But since I anticipate the actual title change and will be fully in charge of carry out the operation, I wanted to pick your brains.

    Background: I was hired on as a tech based on my customer service skills and ability to absorb information quickly. My technical skills were lacking a bit, but have greatly improved in the 1.5 years I've been here. Now I am hopefully, a shoe-in for the Manager position. My soon-to-be new boss has emphasized that he wants customer service at the forefront, which is why I'm being strongly considered. Our previous manager was a bit of a tech wunderkind who could solve any problem, but lacked interpersonal skills, had poor time management, and didn't delegate well, which resulted in complaints from users and frustrations from our team. I hope to change things moving forward.

    I am about to take my A+ Cert and have access to the Lynda library. Are there any other classes I should take/certs I should pursue?

    Any advice on running a Help Desk? Philosophies and strategies that were successful for you? We are a smaller operation, with a couple full-time techs and a team of student workers. I know this is vague, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for advice.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    submitted by /u/ModestMase
    [link] [comments]

    How to get hired from a contract to full-time employee?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 03:45 AM PST

    Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. Wanted to pick your brains today about getting hired after an IT contract.

    Background: I've been working as an associate network analyst on a year long contract since March. The contract is up in March this year. The only word I've gotten from my manager is that "don't worry, you're not going anywhere, you're definitely in the budget for 2021". I heard that mid-December.

    My network team is SWAMPED with large projects, that's why I got brought on. To help with what I can in that space and take on pretty much the entirely of internal networking support (remote sites, layer 2/3 troubleshooting, NAC) some pretty cool stuff that isn't resetting passwords. Some of the large projects going on are 2 different network hardware refreshes, new acquisitions and site build outs, were entirely moving our NOC and on-site Data center in 2021 (this is where 30+ hrs/week 2-3 of our seniors will be working towards for almost all of 2021), firewall rollouts, Network Access Control on every locations ... Plus normal activity's like firewall rules, supporting the NAC job, supporting the network in general.

    To be honest, if I left this team these guys would be SCREWED in 2021. The guys who used to do my job (there were 2) have now grown into more project work, less support. They would now be bombarded with everything I deal with plus the project work the highest ups assign them too.

    I don't necessarily want to leave this team/company. The 5 year outlook is truly fantastic here. But here is about where my concern/questions come into play:

    How do I go about raises on a contract? It's been over 9 months and I haven't received an extra penny....no bonuses, nothing. My girlfriend got hired as a clinical research coordinator and got full benefits instantly plus 2 raises inside the last 3 months ...... I also do not have healthcare/ any other benefits. My monthly healthcare bill is $300 after my tax break. $400 without it. I make a 'decent' hourly wage of $20. If I had built in healthcare, life would be way easier. But that expense is nearly the same as my rent ........ Robbery.

    Anyway, in addition to a raise ... How can I just get hired man? Wearing the contractor tag on my team does not demand as much respect from others in the org or from vendors. Plus all the benefits that come with being a 'real boy'. I started the day of COVID lockdown, so I haven't been pushy because of everything going on in the world and honestly, I'm happy to have work period. Happy to be safe working from home. It's not something I want to push the envelope and ruin right now. I am getting by, I am saving and investing extra money, I just ate steaks and had a beer last night. Financially things aren't bad at all. Could always be better though, obviously.

    Thanks for the time ladies and gentlemen, excited to hear from you down below.

    submitted by /u/tg089
    [link] [comments]

    Next Steps in My Career - Engineer to Analyst or Management?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 10:26 PM PST

    Lately I've felt that my job isn't the right fit for me, and I've been looking at branching out. I am looking at analyst (systems, security) or management. With this in mind and the info below, what are your thoughts?

    I am a Systems Engineer for an MSP. I am functionally the expert on my customer environments and am the final escalation point for all technical issues. I manage the client relationship with my sales staff and act as the expert technical resource on sales calls. My knowledge is broad and getting deeper, but I am in my late twenties and all my peers are 10-15 years older. My role requires a thorough technical understand of all things IT such as security, cloud, virtualization, switching, routing, firewalls, etc.

    I've been unhappy with the role. First, the responsibility feels crushing because I am responsible for many environments, but I do not have enough time to, in my eyes, adequately manage them in the ways I want. This makes me feel like the job is subpar and that simply does not gel with me. Second, dealing with clients. I have no problems dealing with end users and it is in fact one of my favorite parts. However, I interact with customers on the sales side of the relationship, so I have to hear about how they're displeased, regardless of fact, on perceived issues.

    One of my favorite parts about the job is that I get to make technical decisions for the client. I enjoy analyzing different options to help them be more cost efficient or improve business process. This has also applied to my employer as I have brought several new technologies to be resold and they've become a part of our offering. The analysis is something I've become quite skilled at and excel at convincing clients to buy into the solution. I've also had major success on the acquisition of new business as our managed services business in our office has doubled with all of the accounts going to me. My employer has been quite impressed with the work and granted me a large raise at the start of December with lots of praise.

    I am thinking of getting away from roles that require me to be responsible for so many environments where my time is spread so thin that I do not feel I can be managing them adequately. I also want to see if I can use my analytical knowledge to cost optimize environments and help IT orgs find new products. Given my broad technical knowledge, it seems like a good fit.

    Management seems like a good fit as well. I find great personal joy in watching and helping my coworkers succeed and find fulfillment in their roles. I genuinely do not interact with these folks in the hopes of getting something in return - it simply is satisfying to see others succeed. Without seeming cliche, I believe I'd enjoy this role as I'm technically competent, business savvy, customer oriented, and genuinely want the best for those around me.

    submitted by /u/RAM_Cache
    [link] [comments]

    Nervous about a potentially huge opportunity, would launch my career

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 07:08 PM PST

    I've made it to the 3rd round of interviews for entry level data analytics and reporting with a significant salary jump. This round will also be with the CEO. As excited as I am, I'm also nervous, this would launch me out of Help Desk and have me put my adult pants on in the IT world. As I continue thinking about it the more I seem to be psyching myself out. I think mainly due to the unknowns. I must be interviewing well enough to make it this far, previous experiences have put my stomach in knots though. Perhaps I also feel this way since I want this position more than I have with any of the others I have applied for. More than anything I'm just venting my jitters. As always, thank you reddit for always listening to my tangents.

    submitted by /u/rocketsprocket21
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do next to progress in IT?(Cisco Certifications)

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 04:16 PM PST

    Hello everyone I've recently passed the CCNA/ AWS Solutions Architect Associate and I am still in high school. I've decided I don't want to go to college and want to begin in IT right away. I've been studying Cisco loosely at school since junior year in high school and right now I'm a senior and graduate in June. Due to the fact that I went ahead, my school decided to pay for my next Cisco certification. Should I pursue the Cisco ENCOR exam?

    submitted by /u/artg1519
    [link] [comments]

    Conflicted on which route to go for my first job out of college? DOD or private?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 03:48 PM PST

    So I was contacted by DOD recently and they said they are interested and would like to move me forward through the hiring process, getting cleared etc. I haven't officially taken a job at all, I am just waiting to be contacted for the next steps.

    I have an interview in just a few days with a private sector company. I am nervous because I don't know which job to take, if I end up being offered this one as well. This one doesn't require a clearance to start out, but you can get one if you'd like AND depending on the work I do, I may need one anyway.

    I was leaning heavily towards DOD but I don't know now. My Dad was telling me if I get the private sector job I should just get it and then leave it once I am done getting a clearance with DOD, but I don't think that is how this works?

    He was basically telling me to just take the first job I am offered and then leave it if I decide I prefer to go work with the DOD? He has never worked for DOD so I am assuming he has no idea what he is even saying.

    As far as pay goes, they both pay around the same. They start roughly at about $73,000 a year, which is very good for a kid getting out of college. Would it be wrong for me to try and negotiate anywhere between 78k - 80k with the private, if I decided to go that route?

    Sorry all, just a bit overwhelmed and need advice. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/Nice-Package9177
    [link] [comments]

    What should I expect on my first day as a Data Center technician?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 08:51 PM PST

    Hello everyone,

    This is my very first IT job and I'm super excited and nervous at the same time. I start very soon. I just wanted to come here and ask those that have worked in a data center, what should I expect on my first day? The data center I will be working for provides bare metal servers, virtual servers, and colocation. My duties stated in the offer are

    Respond to call and escalate issues as needed

    Complete walkthroughs and review monitoring

    Systems

    Deliver support to existing and new clients

    Performing server reboots and consoling Perform basic cabling Server hardware check

    Replace broken server components

    I have no experience whatsoever, I hold the A+ and that's just about it. My question again is what should I expect on my first day? Sounds like a question I should've asked in the interview right. I have so many questions, I guess I'm just a bit worried for no reason. Any advice and information you guys can provide will be great for me and others who are just starting out as well.

    submitted by /u/ortizch23
    [link] [comments]

    How do you see Covid affecting the job market, long term?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 06:32 PM PST

    It feels like everyone and their mother is trying to make a career change to IT because of Covid. The cat is out of the bag with work from home, the value WFH brings to an employee can be immeasurable. Whether right or wrong, IT is seen as the most work-from-home friendly industry.

    Career councilors, looking at last years data, could still see IT as a booming and opportunity-filled industry. But there are tons and tons of unemployed people at home trying to retrain themselves, and IT is the natural choice. Easy to teach online and tons of free resources. Tons of certs to take. Easy to fill up your LinkedIn. Everyone, even people in IT, have had tons of free time to train up or retrain. Competition is going to be fierce going forward...right?

    Do you see a huge increase in entry-level IT workers depressing wages overall? Or will the general need for more Work From Home jobs and online/app presence after Covid create an industry boom? Would you recommend someone entering the job market now to pursue IT, or is it too crowded?

    submitted by /u/SpaceObama
    [link] [comments]

    Where to go? What to study next? 3 years into my IT journey (~2 years professionally) looking for a little direction! Single Information Systems Analyst with essentially uncapped study/time to focus.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 08:12 PM PST

    Where to even start with this.. First things first, I'm nearly 30 years old with all the time in the world to study. (I'm very grateful and I understand this sounds dreamy, but its not as glorious as it sounds.. I swear). I'm going to do a quick brain dump with as much order as I can.

    tl;dr no degree, some certifications, working 3rd shift overnights with little to no tasks more days than not. CCNA Certified. "If you were an IT fly on the wall, what would you recommend focusing my studies on? I'm interested in Networking, Security, and Linux. I've thought about Cisco CyberOps path, but I'm just not sure if this is the best security path to go down. Do I continue down the CCNP path, if so how would that help me at this point in my career with limited Networking experience? Should I maintain my networking knowledge and start working on RedHat? What resources would you recommend?"

    I don't have a degree, shortly after Highschool I took A+ and Net+ - I am now actively CCNA R&S (January 2020) certified and CCENT (retired now) certified. I am studying AWS Solutions and I've purchased another Python course on Udemy, however I'm not hooked like I was with Cisco/Networking.

    I work Full time at a University in the US (West Coast), and I'm coming up on my ~2 year anniversary. By definition I'm a Systems Analyst at Supercomputer Center / Datacenter - 3rd shift 9pm to 7am.. This role (more specifically the hours and workload) is extremely stagnant and under stimulating, but this was/is my first IT role and I needed to take the opportunity. I've tried to get more involved in Networking within the organization, however while job shadowing I had a member of the Networking team word for word tell me, "If you start taking on these tickets/tasks, than what will they need me for?". I get that, job security, no hard feelings there. We're all trying to put food on the table.

    I've applied for MANY positions internally within the organization, however I am hindered by my lack of degree... within the University system. I get that, time to use my title and move onward and upward!

    Edit: My immediate coworkers have been there 10+ years and are very complacent riding it out until their University pension kicks in. Upward movement seems next to nil.

    I planned to start job searching in April of last year as that was 1 year anniversary (vested 401k reasons), however there's no need to get into details about the shockwave that globally hit the IT community Q1 of last year. This actually worked in my favor.. I moved back to the West Coast in 2018 to assist a parent who had been recently diagnosed with Type B Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I hate working overnights, but I'm so extremely grateful to have been working the hours I was because it allowed me the time during the day to caretake and more importantly spend quality time with my Dad. I hated him seeing the world (specifically the current climate in the US) as it was before he passed in November of 2020 - but again, I am so very thankful I was able to make him laugh, cry with him, and bring brightness to his final few years.

    After dumping all that, I reckon the meat of my question boils down to: If you were an IT fly on the wall, what would you recommend focusing my studies on? I'm interested in Networking, Security, and Linux. I've thought about Cisco CyberOps path, but I'm just not sure if this is the best security path to go down. Do I continue down the CCNP path, if so how would that help me at this point in my career with limited Networking experience? Should I maintain my networking knowledge and start working on RedHat? What resources would you recommend?

    I'm all over the place with this post - and I know this has been asked a million times, but If you have any other specific questions about me, directional advice, or you need help studying for the CCNA yourself please let me know!

    DMs or comments work!

    Thanks for letting me get that out there ladies and gents, and thank you in advance for any/all suggestions.

    Hopefully 2021 gives us all good health and happiness xoxo

    submitted by /u/buttholetangofoxtrot
    [link] [comments]

    Need some job advice. Any help/insight greatly appreciated

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 08:03 PM PST

    So I graduated in December with an IT degree specializing it network and information security from a pretty reputable university in my area (NY/NJ) and have a Security+ certification. Have no experience due to summer classes (switched my major) and due to Covid canceling my internship last summer.

    Now the company I was going to intern with offered me the intern role again for 3 months for $12/hr. After the 3 months, my manager would then determine if I will continue into a full time support role for $30,000.

    Now I know I don't have the experience but $30,000 seems very low. Should I take the intern role and find another job after that? Or should I turn down the intern offer and continue applying to help desk type roles now for hopefully better pay?

    submitted by /u/MarkBell123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel