• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, January 12, 2021

    IT Career I went from 42k to 75k in 18 months. The right companies are out there, don't give up.

    IT Career I went from 42k to 75k in 18 months. The right companies are out there, don't give up.


    I went from 42k to 75k in 18 months. The right companies are out there, don't give up.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 04:46 PM PST

    Job Title: Business Systems Analyst

    Location: Los Angeles

    Work Experience: 18Months

    Salary: 75k/year + 12 Holidays + 10 Days PTO + 3 Sick Days + Flexible WFH + Travel + Bonus

    I just wanted to give back to a community that helped me get to where I wanted to go. There's so much great information in this sub I really don't think I could have gotten to where I am without the countless questions and posts provided here. I am a direct person, and I just wanted to share my experience in the field as well as highlight challenges that are not always talked about. I also decided to include my salary to motivate more people to enter this field, as well as know what they are really worth. I do feel like the path I took was extremely niche and very specific, but it is possible. I did it, so can you.

    My Background (Skip to college if you want to see my career path)

    When I was 18 I started community college, and like many others I didn't know what I wanted to do. I took classes here and there and then dropped out to work after 2 semesters. I loved school, but life happened and without family support, it was just not happening financially. I started working full time in a warehouse, and that was it for education at the time. When I started to take it seriously again, I asked a counselor to lay out what classes I needed to get the hell out of there with any AA possible. I had continued to take classes on and off for years. this meant i had 80 credits and needed 4 more GE classes to graduate with an AA is sociology. Welp, that's what I did. I skated by and my 2.51GPA barely made it above the 2.50 GPA needed fro a cal grant (for those of you outside of CA this pays your tuition at any state school)

    College

    When I was choosing my major, I knew i wanted to do tech. It was my passion and something that always interested me. But i knew i didn't want to do programming or coding. So i immediately ruled out Computer Science. Then I learned about Computer Infromation Systems. But still, it had classes with C+ and Linux. So I looked at the next, less technical program and found Management Information Systems. [https://www.csuchico.edu/cob/about/departments/bsis/option-in-mins.shtml]

    When I read it, I knew that's what i wanted. I'm a people person so i love interacting. I didn't want to be stuck in a room somewhere googling javascript comile errors [programmers ily but i hate coding]. When I knew i wanted to be in Management Information Systems, I looked for state schools that had that exact major. I wanted it written on the degree. I didnt want a Business admin: MINS. I wanted it to say MINS. And thats how i landed at Chico State, Arguably the biggest party school on the westcoast.

    I didnt know it at the time, but at 26, I was about to embark on the best and worst part of my life. Because the cal grant was capped at 4 semesters, I had to complete 22 upper division courses in 2 years. At the University Level. This included:

    • Database Modeling (Both SMSS and MySQL)
    • Database Administration
    • SAP Linux Administration (what's sudo?)
    • SAP Business Simultaion
    • SAP/4Hana Troubleshooting and Documentation
    • Mobile application development (ios)
    • Java (Curse you netbeans)
    • Agile and Waterfall development (SCRUM anyone?)
    • Cisco Networking (I swear if someone ever comes near me with packet tracers or asks me about VLANS or subnets I'm throwing moist gummy bears at them)

    I didn't know it at the time, but this coursework, the toughest I ever had to learn would become the cornerstone for my career. Chico State is often seen as a last choice school, but this program prepared me better than many of my peers at more prestigious UC's and state schools. It is an SAP Center meaning they have a direct path after graduation to become SAP certified at a discounted rate. This relationship with SAP means Chevron, Salesforce, Workday recruit heavily in the MINS and CIS departments. My class had 30 graduating students. We were a tiny niche of a program if you will.

    Graduation

    After graduation I landed a kushy 75,000 job.... *record scratch* yeah, no. I don't know who those people are but it didn't work out for me that way. When i graduated and moved back to Los Angeles in 2018, I knew i wanted to be some type of analyst. But i didn't really know what kind, and it didn't help that every company uses the word analyst to mean something different. At one point i remember stumbling upon a Dave & Busters job posting for a 'Fun Analyst'. I was not amused. Around month 6 of my job search when I started to get desperate, I started expanding my search to these roles:

    • Information Systems Analyst
    • Business Analyst
    • SQL Analyst
    • ERP Analyst
    • Business Systems Analyst
    • IT Analyst
    • Database Analyst

    1st Role

    Information Systems Coordinator

    $22/hr + 6 days vacation + 5 sick days

    I finally got a call for information systems coordinator, and I landed an offer. To my dismay and horror they wanted to hire at $17-$20 an hour, American dollars, in Los Angeles. I told them $20-$25 is more my range. I ended up taking $22/hr, because at this point I was desperate and wanted to start working. While I knew i was taking a lowball I had 0 experience so I saw it as an exchange. I would get experience at a small company, and they would get me for the cheap. I was the only person in my department, and they misrepresented the position. They told me I would be involved with infrastructure projects. What it really was, was Help desk Tier 1,2,3 + Sysadmin + ERP Admin + Database Admin + SQL Report Writer + Remote Support (IN SPANISH) + License Auditing + Hardware auditing. Basically not what i had signed up for. But an insane amount of experience. On top of this i met my first GateKeeper. An older IT consultant that was friend with the CEO. He had no business getting paid as much as he did and he never (in my full time there) cared to share any infromation on how anything worked. My skills and talent were a threat to his job security. So any project I had, he would immediately try to shut it down or run circles around it to spin it as negatively as possible. One highlight was me pitching an idea to him, we entered a meeting and he pitched it as if he had thought of it himself. He explained an idea to me that I came up with. After that our relationship deteriorated and I went around him to get things done. He was our consultant, but because of his personal relationship to the CEO, his weights held more gravity. All of these issues combined with the low pay pushed me to start job searching within 8 months of this job. Then COVID happened. My Project highlights at this company include:

    • Deployment of labor tracking software including documentation and user training
    • Creating a physical VPN tunnel to Mexico (to on prem servers)
    • Slack deployment (pre covid props to me)
    • Visitor Management software system
    • Several Custom SQL Reports (yeah i can write. So a SQL statement walks into a bar and looks at two tables and says, 'hey, may i join you?')

    2nd Role

    When I interviewed with my current Position. I killed the interview. It was a bilingual position for Business Analyst. They required 4 years of experience on the job post but i decided to go for it. They wanted someone who had:

    • Manufacturing/Production experience (remember that 5 year warehouse hiatus?)
    • Experience with an ERP - SAP Preferred (check)
    • Understanding of databases (check)
    • Windows Administration (I was help desk in two separate countries at the same time lol)
    • Willing to travel (no kids, Im packing my bags right now)

    Needless to say at the end of the interview, but I always ask 'Whats stopping you from hiring me right now?' Their response: "um, well... this is going to sound weird... but honestly you're everything we want. You have experience supporting users, negotiating with vendors, SAP, the sales process, you even worked in a warehouse so you've seen the process from the inside'. I knew at that moment I was getting an offer. Their first offer was 70k, I politely declined. I held my guns and said, give me $75k and we can work together. and here I am. Business Systems Analyst. This position entails I route tickets to the support team that needs to see them, I administer 5 different applications/systems, and I am finally focused on infrastructure projects. I will be doing 6 ERP migrations to SAP, as well as multiple networking projects at every plant (Im responsbile for 2 locally, but the projects entail 6 nationwide plants). I work with a team of about 12 people, and we have the full support of an IT help desk to handle small day to day issues (hey my printer wont work!!!). I couldn't be happier, and I really feel that I will be able to grow with this company. I work with a manager and team that understands IT and respects my time. When my boss says hes gone at 4, that means HES GONE. Dont send him emails, dont call. and he treats us the same way, which is something I truly appreciate.

    So if youre job searching, and running into roadblocks, just keep looking. the right place will come. Don't sell yourself short. the things we learned are valuable and you should be compensated fairly.

    Thats all. thanks for reading.

    EDIT: Mandatory OMG MY FIRST GOLD! Lol. Truly thank you. I love this sub and hope I can mentor a few people eventually. (It helps with the imposter syndrome) I hope I inspired someone, even you, lurker. :)

    I see a lot of concern about 75k in Los Angeles, and yes you are correct. It is difficult to live on your own, if you don't budget well. I do not live fancy and I don't plan to until I hit $100k. I had the foresight to save money while i was working full time and bought my car outright. I own my 2015 optima. Having a room mate helps a lot with expenses, and I'm fortunate enough to have learned how to invest and be good at it. It's been a side source of income since I graduated from college (I started out with $50/week and currently at 20k /240% return... invested in tech of course) but that a story for another post. Additionally the WFH helps immensely with expenses.

    I have 2 raises a year written into my current contract, and I believe my bonus is $4k/year starting at completion of my first year. I'm happy where I am at the moment. I won't be here for long, trust me :)

    submitted by /u/MEXRFW
    [link] [comments]

    Am I making a mistake by thinking of leaving my current company?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:03 AM PST

    For reference, I currently work in IT in MCOL area.

    Current Company

    Current base salary: $66K

    Pros:

    Bonuses each year $18K (roughly $10K bonus check coming in March)

    401K 6% match, HSA, 3-4% raise per year, etc.

    No layoffs in company history

    Cons:

    Job duties are monotonous and unchallenging

    career growth not guaranteed

    1+ hour commute

    Zero WFH ever


    New Company

    New company base salary: $70K

    Pros

    Better job title

    New role offers career growth and expanding skill set

    100% remote job forever (zero commute)

    Better health insurance

    Cons

    401K 2.5% match (compared to 6% at my current company)

    Bonus program ended due to covid

    Just laid off 5% of their workforce in March due to covid.


    Essentially, I am drastically overpaid (through bonus program) in my current role and it offers me a lot of time to study and grow my skill set on my own time.

    I could leave this cushy job for less pay but greater potential career growth while never having to (do a 1 hour) commute again.

    Anyone here been in this position before? What did you ultimately decide? And if you haven't what would you decide if you were in my shoes? All opinions welcome.

    submitted by /u/TheAnswerIsLinux
    [link] [comments]

    Certifications and or Next step after MIS Bachelor’s

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:16 AM PST

    I'm a junior accounting and MIS student. Was a CS major but disliked it after my first year and have since then been happy with the switch. However I did manage to ace my CS classes, just hated every minute of it. The more that I learn about MIS the more I like the field, but since it is a business degree I feel like I need more technical knowledge to excel. My undergrad is completely free, and I don't want to take on any student debt or at least not a lot. I was thinking about getting some certifications when I graduate and while I am working full time so that I can continue to advance in my career. I was thinking of taking cyber security or network security. Something along those lines.

    Any advice for someone in my shoes on what options I may have with regards legitimate certs I can get to make myself more marketable?

    submitted by /u/fancyprince18
    [link] [comments]

    If I got a CCNA or something similar at 16 years old, could I use it at all while I’m still in high school?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:09 AM PST

    So I'm 16 and I currently work at a grocery store office, answering phones and stuff, making $10.25/hr. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

    I have been working on computers since 5th grade, and I plan on going into IT as a career. I already have some of the hardware to teach myself the stuff I'd need to know for my primary two interests (Wireless and VoIP) and I'd like to get certified early but if I did, I'd like to be able to use it. Obviously I have school during the day, so I'm not sure if I could take full advantage. Thoughts/advice?

    submitted by /u/theblubbyone
    [link] [comments]

    Almost Done with my Google Certificate Program, Now What?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:26 AM PST

    In July 2020, I graduated High School and started the Google It Certificate program on Coursera to prepare for a degree in Computer Science. In a few weeks I'm going to be done with the course. I intend to get a part-time job with the certificate, to get cash for my freshman year of College. I'm getting ready to set up an Indeed account and start job searching. Is there anything I should be aware of, or consider when job searching, while also preparing for College?

    submitted by /u/Megasonic150
    [link] [comments]

    Didn't waste years getting a degree to work a help desk job.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:13 AM PST

    I just spent 4 long years trying to get a degree in Cyber Security while supporting a wife and 5 kids. Shit was a long and hard road and now that I am graduated I hear i may have to work a help desk job that pays less than the job i currently hold? Little background is i did IT in the army for 9 years will be 40 in April. Just need some advice because helpdesk makes me feel like i went to school for nothing.

    submitted by /u/calmlavendertea38
    [link] [comments]

    How can I improve my chances of getting my first security job in IT?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:53 AM PST

    Hello, I am looking for some guidance on securing an entry level job in cyber security or something similar with my A+ certification and a Security + certification I will be getting in a month or two. I have a Bachelors degree in Professional Security Studies but unfortunately what I lack in is experience. I recently changed careers from sales and I am currently only 4 months in on my first IT job with Hackensack Meridian Health that I was able to secure through a staffing agency (Robert Half Technology)

    I keep hearing from colleagues that its almost impossible to get a job in security unless you have a few years of experience. If anyone can chime in with their best practices or suggestions for me, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/djvero1
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best/most efficient way to learn SQL and MySQL?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:44 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I am wanting to learn SQL and MySQL to add to my skillset/resume.

    What is the best and most efficient way to learn SQL in terms of being confident enough to put it on your resume or tell employers "I know SQL"

    submitted by /u/VapesfromBible
    [link] [comments]

    Career Switching Advice for a teacher looking for an exit

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:09 AM PST

    Hi everyone, the short story here, is I am looking for some general advice.

    TLDR: I'm a 35-year-old teacher with 10 years of teaching experience, ready to leave education and get into IT. I'm currently completing some Google certifications on Coursera, and plan to take the Net+ and Sec+ exams before the end of the year to hopefully gain an entry-level position somewhere, anywhere. Any advice?

    Without going completely into my life story, I have been a teacher for the last 10 years, and I have loved it through good days and bad days. It has been very rewarding, challenging, and exciting. I've worked at a good school, with great colleagues, and have enjoyed a lot of success in and out of the classroom. However, this year... this crazy year, has completely crushed my desire to do anything with education ever again. I'm ready to pull the plug mid-year and rely on savings to close the gap for the next few months.

    After talking with friends, family, and others I've decided to start making real moves to switch careers and move into IT. I know I'm "older" so I am a little worried about that, but my bigger concerns lie in the transferability of skills. I've been talking to a recruiter off and on for the past month that specializes in IT placement and one thing has become clear: I don't know shit. So, with that in mind, I set out to learn some shit.

    Right now I'm completing the IT Support Basics course on Coursera - luckily I know a lot of it already through my hobbies of gaming, computer building, etc. I am also currently working through Mike Meyer's prep course for the CompTIA NET+ exam. I'm hoping to take and pass the exam in May. Should that work out as planned, the next step is going to be to take and pass the Sec+ or A+ exam. I'm pretty much spending all of my free time trying to prep for exams to earn certificates towards entry level positions.

    Exposition aside, I'm hoping that you all can help with a bit of guidance. If any of you have switched careers in your 30s to IT, what steps did you take? Are the steps I described above putting me on the right path or at least pointing in the right direction? I know that IT is an ever-evolving field so I'm also trying to read up and at least be familiar with Azure and AWS but right now I feel very much in the deep end of it all.

    I guess after this long caffeine and anxiety-fueled rambling, really... I'm just looking for advice. Anything and everything is appreciated. Switching careers has me terrified, but with the direction that public education in America is heading, I'd like to get out now before I'm so vested in the system that it becomes impossible to leave.

    Thanks, everyone in advance for any advice that you are willing to give.

    submitted by /u/Felldoh_
    [link] [comments]

    What is everyone's take on this new trend of "colorful" language in job descriptions? It seems like a red flag, to me

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:50 AM PST

    I saw an ad for Remote IT support that included the phrase "Creator of cool s**t" in the description

    This is a red flag for me.

    Now, I'll bet you younger folks are all "Cool man, theres a company I want to work for!" and you know what, I wont stop you!

    Why do I see this as a problem? Because in the past, every company that I ever worked for that had some kind of "gimmick" in their job description(Does anyone remember DO YOU LIKE FAST CARS AND LOUD MUSIC?) was not what it seemed to be or was described as.

    Worst case scenario these phrases lure in the young and inexperienced who are then often mistreated and underpaid and overworked.

    Better case scenario is this is a just a company with younger personnel who want to try to seem "Cool" and "Hip" and all "OK BOOMER, F***" the corporate world and your professionalism and etiquette! That stuff is for OLD people!" - Here is a company thats going to lose control of its employees very quickly and it will bleed into their interactions with clients. That kind of thing WILL turn a client off. Take it from a guy thats been very glib with people and I have to say that its done more harm than good when it comes to clients.

    Some advice - If an ad seems manipulative, it probably is or is run by someone that will use your emotions against you.

    Whats the take of everyone here?

    submitted by /u/Shoregrey
    [link] [comments]

    Is a CIS or MIS degree worth it? Should I major in it amd would you recommend it?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:16 AM PST

    Does anyone have a CIS degree or is currently majoring in one? Have you been able to land a well paying job and would you recommend the degree to someone? I am currently on my first year and am unsure if I should stick with it. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Lux_Jow
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice. Got hired as Service Delivery Manager!

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:55 AM PST

    Hey yall!

    As the title suggests, i accepted an offer as Service Delivery Manager. Honestly, i wanted to persue a more technical position, but with these tough times i decided to go for it.

    I do have ITIL 4 Foundation, and have general knowledge of IT service management. However, I'd like some advice or tips of what I'm up against.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SaulFadal
    [link] [comments]

    Changing career to IT Helpdesk and I need help with my Resume

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:51 AM PST

    Hi ITCareerQuestions,

    Currently i'm updating my resume for a job as a Helpdesk or as an IT Technician and I would like some advices regarding my resume.

    What would you change? Personally I think I quite long (3 pages), any advice?

    Job I'm Applying for: Helpdesk or IT Technician.

    HelpDesk Resume

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/whoislucian
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to decide between Data or Networking as a career focus?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:06 AM PST

    Data could be data analyst, dba, etc. I like the idea of working with data and statistics to help come up with solutions or inform business decisions. However it does concern me that hours spent in SQL, cleaning, etc may drive me crazy. But its a big and growing field with a lot of opportunity.

    Networking is kind of exciting. Feels more like it keeps you on your toes. Could be considered stressful im sure. Its a little fun to geek out on networking. The networking guys at my companies have to put out fires nonstop which seems a little stressful and I get concerned about on call. Networking can also go along with security which is cool as well, but very competitive.
    Not sure which one is more future safe?

    I also wonder which one would require more time outside of work keeping up with things?

    Is networking mostly support that deals with tickets all day? I work helpdesk and mostly hate it. I enjoy the troubleshooting part and interacting with my team, but the nonstop calls from customers make me hate my life sometimes.
    Any info or advice that might be helpful with me deciding this?

    submitted by /u/Cautious-Ad5919
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a need does law enforcement have for cyber security?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:45 AM PST

    Hello, I'm a college student currently trying to get a degree in cyber security. My original career goal was working at discord, but I've recently been considering law enforcement as my career, I know the FBI needs/takes cyber security degrees. But I'm not going to apply to the fbi without a few years of law enforcement experience, and I'd like to find a law enforcement job that I can still utilize my degree in, what positions, if any do most departments have which would require a degree in an IT field?

    submitted by /u/DauidBeck
    [link] [comments]

    People who got degrees later in life - how did it affect your job prospects?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 01:36 PM PST

    Hello Team,

    This is a question for those who did not get a degree until their late 20s or later (after being in the IT workforce). Did you notice better job prospects/compensation?

    submitted by /u/Sewaki
    [link] [comments]

    6 months into my first IT job and I'm miserable. How do I make the most out of it so that sticking it out is worth the hardship?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 06:56 PM PST

    I'm mostly looking to make this as constructive as possible. I've seen a lot of recurring posts where people will mention they're less than a year in and just want to find something new. I'd like to know what resources I can utilize and what I can do outside of work hours in order to become as valuable an employee as possible as quickly as possible in order to move on.

    I currently work for an MSP, and I know it's not for me. I've been getting more and more anxious thinking IT is just not for me. I've lost about 20lbs from not being able to eat due to nerves before and during work, I sleep from 11 to 4 every night because I'm too nervous to sleep, thinking about what the day's gonna be like when I clock in at 8, and I constantly feel like I'm not experience enough to handle my large amount of tickets and complexity of tickets, but have nobody to seek help from due to everyone else being too busy. I've stopped talking to most of my friends and family due to being in a depressive state, and I feel like I'm losing touch with my partner. Most days I'm worried I'll have a mental breakdown, but I never do because I'll just end up drinking after work in order to forget about it and actually force myself to relax, but this'll keep me from doing anything productive after work as well.

    On the other hand I've never learned so much in such a short amount of time. I've gotten my hands on some technology that I never knew existed, and am learning how they work. The issue with MSP/help desk however, is that I never wade deeper than my toes in anything before moving on, so I'm not sure if it's even worth it.

    I know it sounds bad, but I feel like I have to try my hardest to stick it out for a year despite all of this. Any insight as to how I can use this time to double down on becoming more experienced and valuable, instead of just coping with my current lifestyle, would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/GunkyStink
    [link] [comments]

    Does Data Entry as an entry level tech job look good towards other tech positions?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:28 PM PST

    Hey there,

    I'm about to return to school to finish an IT degree. This week I'm going to interview for a Data Entry job in the city.

    I work retail now, so I feel like the experience would be at least more in the right field.

    Having no formal experience or job history in the field, would the Data Entry experience look good towards another tech position such as Help Desk / IT, Security, and/or Web Developer? One of those are where I'm aiming to end up after school.

    Thank you for any input.

    submitted by /u/opfal
    [link] [comments]

    Certifications and experiences for system analysis jobs

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:37 PM PST

    Hi,

    I am a recent Information system graduate working in IT support. I want to get into system analysis in the future and was wondering what kind of certs and experience I should be working towards to get that job as a junior system analyst.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/scarredskye
    [link] [comments]

    How to make yourself look better on resume and in person during phone/in person interviews?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 11:02 PM PST

    Hello fellow IT

    This is probably a topic that has been discussed before but i shall ask anyways . Getting a job in IT seems very hard . There are so many prerequisites listed in a job description that demand 3+ year experience and all this technical vocabulary . For a person that has gone back to school to better his career . How do I promote myself into getting a descent job in IT with little experience. My background is pc repair tech . Currently with latest A+ cert . Majoring in network management at a local community college . What jobs should I apply for and how should approach these job interviews?

    submitted by /u/somi336
    [link] [comments]

    The waiting is killing me, how long might it take to hear?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 06:59 PM PST

    So I just started applying for my first IT jobs just over a week ago. What would you say the average wait time is to hear absolutely anything about the process?

    submitted by /u/Chegg1
    [link] [comments]

    Interview tomorrow. How to now feel like I have imposter syndrome?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 10:02 PM PST

    So I've gone through 8 or 10 interviews so far in the last 6 months. Got hired for 3 but (long story) all 3 ended before I could even start. Either due to their budget unfortunately getting cut, or me accidentally being placed in the wrong role.

    Anyways, I've been left feeling like a massive imposter. I had almost a perfect 4.0 GPA in college, have a website portfolio that details my home projects and bio, and I feel my resume is solid given that I've never had an IT job other than my internship.

    The job I'm being interviewed for is an IT analyst job. The description essentially just says helping out employees and customers with any IT related issues, identify and troubleshoot issues for customers, and recommend solutions and upgrades to the management at the company. Pretty straight forward entry job.

    But my lord, if I'm not feeling stressed OUT right now. I've gone 6 months without a job and am about to start driving Uber to keep paying rent. I signed up last week for Uber and just got the call to come for an interview. I need this job pretty badly so the stress is high.

    Good things: due to a delay, the company's response was 3 months late. So I'd assume many people they contacted have already found another position or forgotten about it. I am also experienced in troubleshooting and being resourceful.

    Bad things: if I don't get this job I'll have to drive Uber to stay afloat. If I don't get this job that'll be a 6 month gap in my resume. If I don't get this job I'll feel pretty demotivated and it'll definitely be a hit to the self esteem.

    I KNOW I'm capable of killing it at this job. I just need either some reassurance or some tips on how to really make a good impression. This is finally my chance and the nerves are getting to me.

    submitted by /u/GoalToGetBig
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice Needed] Seven Years Into My Career and I Feel Stuck. I Can't Break Past the Help Desk Stage

    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 09:11 PM PST

    - I'm in a mid sized, Canadian city with a low cost of living (Regina, Saskatchewan). I can't move due to family

    - I'm 31, and have been working in IT for about 8 years now.

    - Right after uni (with a liberal arts BA), I got a job with an ISP as tech support. After about 5 years, I had jumped around a few times, and moved on to a tech start up in customer service. Based on my previous experience, I was quickly promoted to an IT Specialist role.

    - Here I learned a lot. Yes, I did some purchasing, running events, and networking, but it was basically a glorified help desk position.

    - Right when Covid-19 hit, I got laid off. This was a terrible time. I had a nervous breakdown and felt "lost" and stuck.

    - I applied to a few places, and a couple MSPs contacted me for Help Desk jobs, but I stayed away from them. Luckily, I got a job with a school division in a non-union position.

    - I'm only making a hair over 42K. The benefits are amazing, and I get salary increases every year for (6 years?), I believe in a form of steps. However, the "golden handcuffs" is the pension. I get a defined benefit pension where they take 10% of my salary, and match it. This is a struggle as combined with my benefits, my take home pay is very low.

    - That said, the job is very boring. The seniors have been there for easily 20-30 years, and honestly bullied me when I first started as they thought I was going to muck up their systems. I stood up to them, which stopped their behaviour, but all I'm asked to do is "gather information" and "escalate." That's it. That's all. Apart from some basic troubleshooting, and helping run A/V events at the Head Office where I work, I don't do much else.

    - The tech stack they use is old and out-of-date. While I understand things are crazy due to the pandemic, I don't see myself moving up anytime soon. I've asked for a few projects, but what I'm doing isn't very interesting or challenging at all. I'm feeling a bit depressed as I feel "stuck."

    - I'm grinding out my local community college's evening IT certificate program to have "something" on my resume.

    - That said, I feel lost and trapped. There aren't that many IT jobs in my city. Not even Devops positions. The only places that hire for such positions are tech startups and they want you to have a Computer Science degree or a lot of experience. However, they don't pay well and they don't have great benefits. I was honestly overworked and burnt out at the tech company I was at.

    - On the other hand, the government (Provincial / Federal) pay very well, but they have strict requirements I don't feel I match (I'll apply anyways), and when I get there, the job will be boring with old tech (my experience with the school).

    - I'm getting older and we are planning on starting a family. A part of me wants to run away from IT/tech and bang out a two-year health care diploma (X-Ray Tech / Ultrasound /etc) as I'm a people person, and these jobs will literally double my salary.

    - My wife works in Health Care (Nurse), and she literally makes more than double my wage.

    - My friends tell me that's how Regina works. They tell me to stay put for at least 3-5 years with the school and see if I can get promoted. My one buddy works at a credit union, and it took him 8 years to move up from Help Desk to Sys Admin. He tells me things just move more slowly and there are less opportunities around here and I have to be patient.

    - Sorry for the wall of text. This is the first time in my life where I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, what my goals are, or even if I want to work in tech anymore.

    submitted by /u/Rothschilds_Sewage
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel