• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    IT Career Got my first job! Thanks to everyone here for helping me out.

    IT Career Got my first job! Thanks to everyone here for helping me out.


    Got my first job! Thanks to everyone here for helping me out.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:21 PM PST

    Posted here the other day saying I'm really nervous for an interview. Well it went well today and I just got a call back saying they want to hire me! I'm also getting offered $6k more than what was listed on their application, and it is close by. I'm really excited to start my career in IT.

    For those of you reading this feeling down from seeing another "got a job" post, just know I've been applying for 6 months and have submitted over 500 applications. 3 jobs hired me but ended up either having to cancel due to budget or other complications out of my control. And many companies ghosted me. I personally was losing faith in the people telling me to keep at it, that it's a numbers game. But they were right. It finally happened and I couldn't be more happy right now.

    Here's to starting the 9-6 life! Haha. Thanks to everyone here who answered my questions.

    For anyone wondering:

    1. I have a bachelors degree in IT with over a 3.9 GPA.
    2. The job is "IT analyst"
    3. 500+ applications in 6 months, probably 20 interviews, 3 hires (that ended up not working before I even started) and tons of being ghosted.
    4. Big company with a lot of support and many locations
    submitted by /u/GoalToGetBig
    [link] [comments]

    24 yr old college student needing a career guide to have a relevance in the industry upon graduating

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:43 AM PST

    Little help on what I should be doing now in order to help myself

    add skills and a portfolio for once I graduate.

    A little background:

    I have been derailed from the path a little bit too long and now still a 24 year old college

    student despite the graduating age being 19 yrs old in my country. I would like to have some advices

    on what languages/skill set would help me build myself up so that when I graduate I would be a relevance

    and not have that tough of a time in finding a decent paying job.

    I have currently this curriculum <https://ibb.co/0DSLm2s><https://ibb.co/XLpKHT7>

    I am reading a lot of posts in reddit and honestly am pressured because at my age I still only

    have basic knowledges on few languages and on Cisco CCNA and would love to have guidance from here. I do and did enjoy taking up my networking(CCNA1&2) and plans to reinforce knowledge on it while having this current sem in order to be ready for CCNA 3&4. Also, would learning python, linux as well as mastering c & c++ would help me build up my fundamentals?

    How important is it to improve my logic skills for admin practical/critical solving skills be weighted once I'm out there to find a job?

    PS. Will be moving to the US (west coast prolly) upon graduating since fam is there

    Thanks a lot

    submitted by /u/tsias_
    [link] [comments]

    Early 40's and hate job thinking of complete career change.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:56 AM PST

    Early 40's and hate my job have done for years, don't particularly like the people I work with, zero career progression have to do more for less now.

    I work in construction and surprisingly enough without a trade or any qualifications I've managed to get on to a good wage, 40k+ plus all traveling paid for. I've stuck it out as I couldn't afford to drop the money plus I had 3 kids to raise, 1 is up and away other's are approaching teens.

    Now I feel we could almost get by on dropping money for a few years till I worked my way back up. I've thought about the merchant navy, train driver or perhaps something in the nuclear industry such as police but really have no idea where I would start.

    Has anyone done something similar or have experience in the fields above.

    submitted by /u/Thebigeasy1977
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any job/niche in the world of CS/IT where your workload is routine, manageable, and straightforward?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 04:58 AM PST

    Looking for:

    • Job that only wants me to know 1 domain and 1 domain well. No more long laundry list of tech reqs and knowing 20 different languages + AWS + Kubernetes for 50k starting salary lol

    • Clearly defined job. My task is my task. I'm not juggling 2-3 other roles.

    • I can grow old and keep doing this same thing year after year provided alien technology isn't invented or encountered

    • My certs and years of exp are my credentials. No whiteboarding algorithms at age 50 just to prove to interviewers I'm not a fraud.

    • I'm mostly left alone. No angry clients, no angry coworkers.

    If it doesn't exist, I might bail to another field. The stress is nuts.

    submitted by /u/Past_Sir3
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take this 4 month contract job and leave my full time career?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:16 AM PST

    So I'm looking to make a career change into IT. I've earned my A+ and start school for network engineering in March. I was offered a 4 month contract doing hardware roll out for a large company across my state. The pay is about what I make at my current job, however, once this job ends, I'll be out of a job. Jobs are extremely rare for help desk where I live. All other jobs are at least a 2 hour drive away. If I take this job, in 4 months I'll be unemployed. I get turned down for every job due to lack of experience and education. This would get my foot in the door but it'll still be a challenge to find a job. Honestly I can afford to not have a job. I have a 2nd source of income that pays 80% of my bills and since I'm a veteran, I'll get money for going to school. I'm just really nervous to leave my career at my age. Can you all give me your opinion/ advice on what you would do if you were me? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Dolosmendacium
    [link] [comments]

    Option on IT career switch programme they offer in UK.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:01 AM PST

    Worth the investment in these times? Job guarantee scheme

    The training and exams they offer alone is worth £500 the other half is to put you in front of an potential employer.

    submitted by /u/kh9225
    [link] [comments]

    What age range are considered early career, mid-career, and late career?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:44 AM PST

    How old are early career professionals, mid-career professionals, and late career professionals?

    submitted by /u/Any_Plum6963
    [link] [comments]

    I’m at a crossroads and don’t know where to go help

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:43 AM PST

    I just talked to a recruiting buddy of mine and he told me that every job in IT he saw on the red team and even some blue wanted the certification CEH.

    Have anyone of you got a cyber job with it? (Incident response or cyber analyst) Or Should I get me ccna and become a network engineer then go to cyber?

    PS I'm at wgu almost done with my cyber degree. I hold A,Sec,Net,Project, and ITIL. Working on sscp cysa and pentest to graduate.

    I'm a IT coordinator now. I'm thinking about moving to another company after a year.

    submitted by /u/southparklover803
    [link] [comments]

    Help debating between two jobs; sys admin an gsuite admin

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:43 AM PST

    Currently I'm a solo IT admin and am used to doing it all. I'm waiting on the 2nd interviews for both positions which I can ask more technical questions. In general I'm trying to decide if I should stay in a system admin position which I currently like since there's new stuff all the time or if I should move to a Gsuite admin only. I don't know what else they'd have me do other than manage email, meet, and maybe chrome apps. I'm wondering if I'd get bored as an email admin, however, if it were an O365 admin I think I'd be all for it. If anyone is a Gsuite admin I'd love to hear your pros and cons of the job.

    submitted by /u/stick-down
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck In Senior Help Desk Jobs, Applied to manager or sys and never getting a call back.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 09:56 AM PST

    Stuck In Senior Help Desk Jobs, Applied to manager or sys and never getting a call back. For the past 3 years ive been Reaching out to company's for jobs that are one level above my position like normal, But for some reason never got a call back or an email. Im currently in college now working on getting a degree while at the same time getting more certs. Any advice would be great.

    Jobs im trying to get

    Help Desk Manager

    System Administrator

    Cyber Security - Entry

    The link goes to my resume. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hbx8YFnc9uNr7KSeiYGy2wVCXGu7_PsZ/view?usp=sharing

    submitted by /u/icedyuki
    [link] [comments]

    How to make the jump to Cloud from a help desk role

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:47 PM PST

    I want to be a Cloud Architect... one day.

    I'm currently working in desktop support and have been studying for cloud-related certs for a while. I have Azure Fundamentals, Azure Administrator, and AWS Cloud Practioner; and am studying for AWS Solutions Architect. Also learning Python cause I think it would help.

    I don't know what's the best path to take... Should I go "All-in" on cloud until I make the jump to a cloud engineer role? or should I go for a network engineer or sysadmin role as a stepping stone to a cloud role?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/McHalo3
    [link] [comments]

    Sec+ expiring at the end of the next month. Should I go Cysa+ or AWS Security speciality?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:27 AM PST

    Currently a system admin. Got the sec + almost 3 years ago. Got the Aws solutions architect last month. Honestly trying to gear into security or cloud sec or devops . Not looking for a new job yet; just trying to find the most valuable use of time and money to get some good knowledge.

    submitted by /u/Jonnyluver
    [link] [comments]

    Is wearing a shirt and tie OK for a zoom interview?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:23 AM PST

    I was planning to treat the interview in the same way I would a normal interview and wear a suit and tie. But I've been told by a few people this is overkill and will look bad to employers?? Apparently a simple shirt or smart pullover is more than enough? Thoughts?

    This is for a helpdesk role in the UK.

    submitted by /u/Kitchenbasin
    [link] [comments]

    I created a community of business founders where you can share your unique strategies, as well as get an advice from the people of your niche

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:26 AM PST

    I have just founded a place where there will be the opportunity to regularly discuss business ideas, icluding IT-startups, how and in what area it is best to implement them. There will be appearing really useful tools soon, and the participation is free.

    On the Russian segment I already have about 920 members, and their number is constantly growing. I decided to start the same activities in the foreign segment because my goal is to create a truly universal community where everyone could share their unique experience, as well as learn something new. Since business is constantly changing (due to Covid, too), the expansion of networks is now truly important. So be free to establish new connections here!

    Appreciate any feedback or content to be added in. First of all, you can write about yourself and introduce the niche you work in. Yes, you can! I'll be waiting for it.

    submitted by /u/TheFutureBusiness
    [link] [comments]

    Resume - Systems Engineer looking to transition to Network Engineering

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:21 AM PST

    I'm in a sinking ship of a business that has everyone in my department walking on eggshells with the new management that is micromanaging us to insanity. We've already had two walk outs.

    I can not begin to tell you how many applications I have filled out. In the last year alone, I netted only 2 interviews which did not go anywhere, unfortunately.

    This sub has helped tremendously in improving my resume; but I do not think I am quite there yet. I still can not see what marks my resume and experience as unappealing to HR. I think my friends are being too nice - so I need the netizens of reddit to set me straight.

    I'm actively looking to transition to Network Engineering, as that is where my passions for IT really lie. However, I'm not going to turn down a Systems Engineering role either - as I would like to think I'm pretty competent at my job and have the most experience doing it.

    https://imgur.com/a/r8Xet0b

    I've been trying in vain to get this down to 1 page.

    Be hard on me. I take criticism well. That's why I love this sub!

    submitted by /u/RumRogerz
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on my next step after 3 years as Systems Analyst?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 05:56 AM PST

    Just for some background, I worked at an IT helpdesk for about 3 years, was promoted to be a team lead. Then I switched jobs and have been Systems Analyst for the past 3 years. It's like part data analysis and writing SQL/Business intelligence reports for management and part acting as a first line support for the business applications.

    Lately new management has come in and has had me working on different projects with constantly changing requirements, and I'm feeling burnt out.

    On the non-professional side, I have stood up a couple of CentOS droplets to run LAMP servers for WordPress instances, and I've setup a RocketChat (like open source Slack/Teams) server. I really enjoyed the technical side of those, but it was at my own pace. It was really interesting because while I was learning about those I was also figuring out how to write bash scripting that would automate most of the setup. I've also been learning programming, and I feel pretty competent with writing Python scripts.

    I'm considering trying to switch over to systems administration, but I think I would probably need to go for a junior sysadmin role which may be a lateral move. I've also been looking at data analysis and data engineering jobs, and I feel like the path to those is more straightforward, but I don't think I really want to deal with data all the time. I really enjoy troubleshooting, I'm the type of person that will spend days trying to figure out an issue. At my old job I would try to online research to figure out issues that were stumping the tier 2/3 teams (I just didn't have access to the servers to test my theories). Are there any options that I'm overlooking that may be a good fit?

    submitted by /u/JollyGreenLittleGuy
    [link] [comments]

    I have experience as Full stack Web Developer using Drupal (php) and the LAMP stack. I would like to uptade my knowlede. What are the latest or more significant technologies to learn to be competitive?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:08 PM PST

    [in the title] knowledge*

    My current expertise is around what was used some 5 years ago, including php, jquery and simple html5.

    Of course I have learned other things here and there, but I have not changed the core of what I am doing - Drupal websites.

    Any recommendations on what to learn next?

    submitted by /u/glorious_pericco
    [link] [comments]

    Should I choose Coding, Networking, or Cyber Security?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:11 PM PST

    Been looking into entering the IT field lately and have had some questions.

    1. As the title says, should I go into coding, networking, or cyber security? I'd like to know about things like how difficult it is to break into each sector, how stressful the jobs are, what kind of people you'd typically find working these jobs, etc.

    2. If I go for Networking or Cyber Security, there's an IT training program fairly close to where I live called PCAge career institute. If anyone has heard of/has experience in this program, I'd like to know all about it and whether or not it's worth it.

    3. If I go for programming (i.e. software development), should I go to a coding bootcamp? I've heard both good and bad things about them, and while I'd like to learn as much as I can about them, I'd most like to know about job placement rates for bootcamp graduates and if these programs really are as good as they make themselves out to be.

    submitted by /u/MajorBadTime
    [link] [comments]

    What is the difference between a System Administrator and System Engineer?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:08 PM PST

    They both work on servers, they both utilize scripting, they both troubleshoot, configure and document their infrastructure. They perform patching and are points of escalation for lower tiers.

    If I'm looking for a role as a system engineer and the majority of the tasks are the same as what a sysadmin does (according to their job descriptions) then what am I looking for in terms of a difference in the roles?

    submitted by /u/TheAnswerIsLinux
    [link] [comments]

    Is the CCNA one the best Certs for me to get in my situation?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:40 PM PST

    I have a BS in IT and about 10 months of helpdesk experience. No Certs. I want out of helpdesk. I dont have a dream job in mind. Still feeling things out a little, but I want movement. A jr role would be good. Like jr system admin. Current contract job's room for growth looks like tier2 tech support. I just want out of helpdesk. I want to make movement in my career and get my hands dirty.

    Since I dont know where my end goal is I feel like I need to focus on skills that are very versatile. Having a good networking foundation seems like a good start.

    I definitely dont see the point of getting the A+ at this point and I feel like it would be best to just skip the net+ for the CCNA. Security+ maybe If I decide to focus on security. AWS or Azure after networking if I want to focus on the cloud.

    But mainly I want to be smart about the cert I get right know. In my situation would CCNA be the best option, or are they're other certs I should consider?

    submitted by /u/Cautious-Ad5919
    [link] [comments]

    1 Year and 3 Months Update on First IT Job Ever in Health Care Sector

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:48 PM PST

    You can read my 6 month update here https://www.reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/comments/g1e5fn/6_month_update_on_first_it_job_ever/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    Annual performance review was last week. I got a 3% raise. There were no negotiations, I did not speak to anybody from HR, it was an automatic change. I checked my compensation page on UltiPro and there it was, 3% increase.

    I started On Call rotation last week Friday and my last on call day is this coming Thursday. Pretty same stuff I do during the day. No training, my boss just added me to the rotation. I get an extra hour every week day and 4 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday. We rotate each week and there's 7 of us, so you can imagine my next on call will be a month and a 3 weeks from now. I get set hours, but if it's busy I can adjust my hours to match how much time I worked. So far the busiest on call night was Saturday when the email server went down. Not much I could do except make sure to cover my ass and notify the server team, my boss, my boss's boss, the VP, director, whoever needed to know.

    I'm not nervous on the phones anymore. I think I hit that sweet spot where I don't encounter any new problems, and if I do.. I know where to look as a good place to start. I make sure to keep a professional manner and be proactive. I always have something to do, whether it's following up on tickets, documenting calls, decommissions old equipment, re-imaging equipment or whatever.

    I use these daily as it's necessary to do my job - Active Directory, Lansweeper, and BMC Track-it. Command prompt sometimes.

    I have not studied for my CCNP seriously at all. I've skimmed a book here and there but I haven't been in the mood.

    I have not done work with the Networking team since my 6 month update, but I did receive word today that I will be assisting the networking team a couple weeks from now when they swap the switches at our corporate office. I'm excited about that.

    I'm comfortable with everyone in my team. I'm around the same age as the other Level 1s, the Level 2s are boomers. I get along with everyone. I still ask lots of questions when I don't know the answer.

    Some people slack on our team, but I try not to let that affect me. I always keep my goals in my mind and stick to my goals and what I want to do. I'm always polite on the phone, always follow up on tickets, and if I don't know the answer to a user's question I let them know that I don't know, but I will research this and get back to them. Usually that works. Otherwise they want to speak to my supervisor lol. That happened once or twice.

    Mm I think that's it for now.. not much else to say.. I'll keep on working and chugging along. I still want to join a Network team and put my CCNA to use. I did mention that in my annual review. I'm going with my instincts to stick it out with this company, I think it's too early to jump ship. I'll keep you guys posted on the next update. ✌🏽

    submitted by /u/caniphonenumber
    [link] [comments]

    Paid courses with job guarantees – help with getting first IT job

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:17 PM PST

    I'm looking for an entry level IT apprenticeship, but the apprenticeship market seems really dried up at the moment. I'm thinking of applying to normal Junior IT jobs but I don't have a Comptia A+. I've seen traineeships where you pay about £600 and get a Comptia A+ and some practical experience, and it comes with a job guarantee or full refund. Does anyone know if those are any good? Do people actually get jobs straight after? Thanks

    submitted by /u/YahyaHR
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Manager with gumby backbone. Networking job

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:16 AM PST

    I was hoping to gain some advice on how to deal with a strange issue at work.

    TLDR: Other department rags on our department unjust and our shift lead wont fight for us at all.

    So today at work I was troubleshooting an issue at my networking job on a large ISP type network. Users could not connect to a site that traverses our path. Another department(x department) who adds another layer of security on path had apparently done their "due diligence" and said it wasn't their problem and that they were not stopping end users traffic. After doing some troubleshooting with an show flow monitor ...etc command(on an ASR9k) I was able to see the next hop, resolve the IP to what showed a FireWall address. I knew from this that the traffic was being blocked by x department's FW. We have our own firewalls but not in that location, only they had equipment there.

    I eventually got them on bridge with end users/local comm to T/S. X departments shift lead initially got on and basically asked why they were needed and weren't taking "Could you please check again" as an answer. I referenced some trouble they had yesterday with x departments faulty scripts as a reason to check again. This is what the end user told me that x department told them yesterday. Suddenly X department's lead gets tech on, and eventually(I mean very eventually) Tech finds that I was correct and indeed they were blocking the traffic.

    I soon find out X departments lead contacted our lead(before confirmation of issue) and told him that I unprofessionally made them look like bad (by being cornered into saying well please check again because what happened before). The message that was relayed was exaggerated to the point of being an outright lie by X dep shift lead. Our lead was initially mad at me but after finding out how wrong they were redacted his anger(Homer Simpson in the bushes). I asked him to stand up to x department and say the truth. He refused. All the other techs concurred with my work/perception on how it should be handled.

    Apparently X department shift lead is briefing his team on "professional conversations". This man is a narcist to the point of concern with that comment. They failed to do their job and lied to us, then lied about what I said. This individual(x department shift lead) also has sent concerning, and delusional emails in the past making erroneous blames towards us. Another thing that crossed my mind is X dep shift lead experienced a traumatic event ie: loss of a loved one, foreclosure, etc. Either way its not my business, but would explain the irrational behavior.

    I'm currently in talks with a job that has show interest in me in the same area for a cloud role for more money( I have cloud certs- AWS, and some others).

    Should I leave this job and save my breath? Or should I make a complaint? I Been here about 7 months.

    Thanks for everyone that made it this far. I know it isn't the most neat to read, and I'm kinda pissed to be honest.

    submitted by /u/Life_Understanding34
    [link] [comments]

    No IT background but several years experience with Python and SQL, not sure where to go

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 12:13 AM PST

    Hello,

    As you may have guessed from the title, I am currently employed as Data Scientist, and I am considering switching to IT, partly because there seem to be more remote roles available, but also because I want to have a Plan B in case Data Science turns out to be a bubble or ends up being automated.

    Given my current skill set, which includes Python (10 years), SQL (4 years), and a bit of version control with Git, what kind of roles would it make sense to look at, and what frameworks/languages should I learn?

    Also, I am afraid that I am missing the kind of "general IT knowledge" which cannot be acquired in a single course or tutorial, and I don't know what to do about it: I have always worked alone, and it is likely that over the years I have picked up "bad habits" that I'm not even aware of. I know there are many things that an IT professional would take for granted that I know nothing about. A few random examples:

    • I have only a very vague idea of what a unit test is, but I would know neither how to perform one, nor when, nor why.
    • I groan whenever I see a decorator, I find classes unsightly and annoying (thus my deep-rooted dislike for PyTorch), and I instinctively try to make my code as functional as possible, which I guess may not be the best way to do things outside of math-intensive settings.
    • I have to google every time I need to generate an SSH key, and I don't even know what SSH stands for.
    • I know nothing about networking stuff. What is TCP/IP? What is REST? How do two computers talk to each other?

    Should I even care?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/atokime
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel