• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    I integrated voidtool's popular Everything search into the Windows taskbar. It's open source and available for free on GitHub! Windows Help

    I integrated voidtool's popular Everything search into the Windows taskbar. It's open source and available for free on GitHub! Windows Help


    I integrated voidtool's popular Everything search into the Windows taskbar. It's open source and available for free on GitHub!

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:56 AM PST

    Why is my task bar so big

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 08:20 PM PST

    Open-source firewall and network monitor for Windows

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:43 PM PST

    Windows 7 Install crashing just a few seconds in.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:12 PM PST

    Bluetooth just suddenly disappeared and I'm at my wits end

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    At 5am I had Bluetooth and was using it for my PlayStation controller left my game and by 6am my Bluetooth button in my notification menu was gone. In the bluetooth menu there is no toggle. I used the help virtual tech support and it said I had no Bluetooth and couldn't confirm if I ever had it in the first place(I did). I ended up finding Bluetooth in my device manager under hidden, multiple sources online have lead me to believe I was supposed to delete it, restart my computer, then windows would reinstall it, I did, it didn't reinstall no it's not in device manager(ya know cause I deleted it. I ran Bluetooth troubleshoot it said I didn't have Bluetooth. I tried some other things but I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. I tried to figure out what driver I needed to install but that leads been a dead end, so here I am open my own query instead of reading about others. At the time of this problem I was using Fallout 4 editor to modify some game files, and occasionally jumping in the game to test if what I was doing was working. My computer is a Skytech Blaze II gaming desktop, with AMD ryzen 5 2600 6 core 3.4ghz.

    Please help

    submitted by /u/AaronTHaWright
    [link] [comments]

    Onedrive files-on-demand icons now over the folder icon and not in the status column anymore???

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:21 PM PST

    Hello,

    Before, my Onedrive File-On-Demand icons (Green tick, filled green tick and cloud icon) would show up on the right of my file names in a separate status column.

    Now, it simply shows the File-On-Demand icons over the file icon on the left of the filename. And the status column is also gone.

    Visual Example of before and after:

    https://imgur.com/a/zR7AqjK

    How do I get it back so it's not above a folder/file icon and back in a separate status column?

    submitted by /u/brecht2202
    [link] [comments]

    Apps & features

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:51 PM PST

    Not sure how to install ftdi drivers

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    This feels like a stupid question, but I'm new to the Windows world, so bare with me. I bought this HP laptop today so that I could install a tune on my car. When I try to open a diagnostic app that I downloaded, the computer asks if I want to install the ftdi driver, but when I say yes, it tells me that I don't have administrator permission, but I'm signed into the administrator account. Any guesses as to how I can fix this?

    submitted by /u/alexbro001
    [link] [comments]

    Audio issue

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:41 PM PST

    so I recently bought a tonor tc 2030 and ive set everything up but when I went to test the audio I saw that the mic was disconnecting a reconnecting over and over. can someone help me with this issue

    submitted by /u/Old_Possibility8328
    [link] [comments]

    Lock screen warning not disappearing

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:17 PM PST

    Keeps saying Windows 10 and/or security updates needed. All updates are complete and tried to turn off and turn on notifications in Action Center. Also tried to stop and start updates in msconfig.

    Sorry this is vague. Received this Lenovo C940 on Tuesday.

    submitted by /u/rossidor
    [link] [comments]

    How to enable windows tracking

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:10 PM PST

    do you know guys how to install windowstracking back?

    submitted by /u/komarWOW
    [link] [comments]

    I knew I wasn't crazy ─ Fast Startup is likely the culprit of all your Windows 10 Updates issues. I have been saying this for months but never had the proof to post with it. Having trouble with Windows Updates? Here's a guide for making Windows Updates a worry of the past.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:04 PM PST

    Part 1: Back Story and Official Documentation

    Throughout the past few months, I've been commenting on random threads posted in this subreddit where the OP has shared a picture/video of Windows Updates crashing their computer(s) where I've suggested to disable Fast Startup. I had no real, hard, evidence to support my claims so I could only share my story. First, my career: I manage Patch Management, Vulnerability Remediation, Application Deployment, Operating System Image Creation & Deployment, etc. for ~9,500 devices for a large city in the United States. Somewhere around 1.5 to 2 years ago, we were having a problem with a specific user's PC installing updates. I'd sent a desktop tech to her a few times and the situation never seem to improve so I went myself. Out of curiosity, I opened Task Manager to see what was running and noticed her OS had been running for ~180 days. She swore she shut down her computer every afternoon and even showed me the steps she took to perform the shutdown (Start -> Power -> Shut down.) It didn't make sense, at first, that her OS had been running for 180 days. After some research, I found that Fast Startup kept your computer from actually shutting down. Looking for a way to disable Fast Startup across all devices, I found that the command "powercfg -h off" disables Hibernation and, therefore, disables Fast Startup.

    Tonight, I was looking through some Microsoft Docs and I came across these two articles:

    Both documents, but primarily the first article, discuss and confirm what I've suspected all along. Fast Startup is on by default (imo to trick you into thinking your computer starts-up faster because of Windows 10) and can cause all sorts of problems with Windows Updates.

    I'll leave you guys with some suggestions I have from the setup, configuration and management of thousands of machines over the years. While these are all optional, some of them have prerequisites or dependencies.

    Part 2: Suggestions and Instructions

    Suggested PC Speed-up Tasks:

    • Disable Fast Startup
      • Open your Start Menu, type CMD, right-click on it and hit "Run as Administrator," then type "powercfg -h off" (without quotes) and hit Enter.
      • You'll know if it worked if there's no error and you're just taken to the next line.
      • Important: Restart your computer immediately afterwards
    • Enable High-Performance Power Plan
      • There are some weird things tied to your power plan that you wouldn't expect. This is another one of those times where I've noticed it over the years but just haven't yet found the documentation. One thing I can think of off the top of my head is that this sometimes impacts the maximum brightness allowed for your monitor ─ even on desktops. (I.E., max brightness on Balanced or Power Saver is lower than max brightness on High Performance.) Another example I thought of right before posting this is that Microsoft recommends doing this in WinPE to speed-up Windows installation when deploying across the network ─ so I certainly am not aware of all the things High Performance is tied into across Windows 10.
      • The concern with this power plan for most people is that, by default, minimum and maximum CPU speed is set to 100% (basically keeping your CPU OC'd at all times.) For example, people with an i7-9700K will always be at their max frequency of 4.6GHz (all core.)
      • To change this setting, right-click on your Start button and hit "Run."
        • Type "powercfg.cpl" (without quotes) and hit Enter
        • To the right of "High Performance," hit, "Change Plan Settings"
        • Hit "Change Advanced Power Settings"
        • Under "Processer Power Management," change "Minimum Processor State" to whatever you want. I have mine on 1%. (I keep mine on 100%/100% all the time.)
    • Configuring Windows Updates for Performance & Reliability
      • [Note] I have no experience with Windows 10 Home Edition and I cannot speak to whether or not all of these settings will exist or, if they do, to what magnitude. I immediately upgrade all of my friends, family and paid clients to Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Pro for Workstations ─ and I suggest making the upgrade for yourself if you haven't already. The long-and-short of it is you're given more control over your PC.
      • PS ─ If you're having issues installing a big update (like to 1909, 2004 or the new 20H2) then download, install and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant before continuing with these suggestions.
      • The following is a list of settings I've found to improve both performance and reliability across the board for devices I manage (including my personal PC.) They will be found in the new Settings app (Start -> Settings.)
      • Apps → Startup
        • Disable everything in this list unless there's something you specifically need.
      • Privacy → Windows Permissions (first section)
        • I disable all options under all subsections here (General, Speech, Ink & Typing Personalization, Diagnostics & Feedback, Activity History)
        • Scroll all the down to "Background Apps" (almost at the bottom of the list) and change "Let Apps run in the Background" to "Off." [Note: I haven't had, seen, or heard of, any issues with normal day-to-day applications with this disabled. Your situation may vary.]
      • Update & Security → Windows Update → Advanced Options (at the bottom)
        • Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows: Enabled
        • Download updates over metered connections: Enabled
      • Update & Security → Delivery Optimization
        • Allow Downloads from Other PCs: Disabled
      • Update & Security → For Developers
        • Note: Some may argue that this step is unnecessary and even Microsoft suggests to leave it off if you're not developing applications on your PC but we utilize both the Device Portal feature and the Sideload Apps feature in our environment. I also build applications on my personal computer and enabling this setting has become muscle-memory for me.
        • Developer Mode: Enabled
        • Change PowerShell Execution Policy to allow scripts to run without signing: This setting, effectively, lets you run .ps1 PowerShell scripts that you've downloaded from the internet without having to set the Execution Policy to bypass in your command. I always check this box (and hit apply) but I really only recommend it if you're someone who downloads & runs (or otherwise uses) PowerShell scripts. Optional
    • Post-Configuration Windows Update Installation
      • Warning: Microsoft has started a new thing where they show "Optional Updates" usually right after you hit "Check for Updates." These are drivers that could potentially (and likely will) have a negative impact on your PC/Operating System. I suggest not installing any of these new optional updates.
      • After disabling Fast Startup, this is arguably the most important topic of discussion ─ install your updates. If you're reading this post, and you've made it this far, then go right now, check for updates and install everything.
      • Once they're installed and waiting on a reboot, then reboot your PC.
      • Then install updates again.
      • Then reboot again.
      • Repeat this process until every single update is installed.
      • You'll know you're done when your Windows Updates page looks like mine.
    • Moving Forward
      • Check for updates at least once per day. Either in the morning or at night, but at least once a day. Do it before you brush your teeth in the morning or before you take a shower at night.
      • Updates. Once per day.
      • The end-result for me is that I can't remember the last time I had more than just a "Security Intelligence Definitions Update" for Windows Defender. I check for updates daily and it takes like 20 seconds and I'm done. My computer and OS are incredibly stable.

    Part 3: Drivers, Stability/Reliability and More...

    • Drivers
      • The Problem: One of the main concerns during the Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 eras were making sure you had the correct drivers. Hell, your internet wouldn't even work after a fresh installation so you had to keep them on a CD then update them later. Fast forward to now and Microsoft has done a good job of partnering with manufacturers to obtain official drivers along with either building or obtaining some pretty solid generic drivers. Newer builds of Windows 10 will very likely install on almost all machines (built in the last 6-8 years) without missing a single driver. Unfortunately, this creates the misconception that your PC "has all its drivers installed" and has been the main reason for some people's issues with overclocking or otherwise reaching optimal performance with their machine. The drivers may work but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best drivers for your PC's hardware.
      • The Unfortunate Reality: Fake applications named something like "Driver Update Tool" are everywhere. Unfortunately, information surrounding drivers is not widely-available for most consumers and there are assholes making way too much money from selling fake driver update utilities ─ still to this day. Plus, custom-built PCs very rarely use parts that are all from the same manufacturer so you have to have a myriad of applications installed and, to make it all worse, the driver update tools from companies like ASUS are hot garbage.
      • Suggestions: While I'd love to build an application that was free, ad-free, didn't have a "Pro" version, properly detected & supplied the correct versions of drivers, it's just an insane amount of work. I'd love to start a project on GitHub that gathered lots of attention from the community so that we could crowd-source known-good and known-working drivers but I don't see that happened. People will likely tell me to find one of those 148GB driver packs floating around and use those... which I refuse to do. However, all that said, there are a few specific scenarios in which I have recommendations:
        • Intel: Whether you have a pre-built PC from a manufacturer or a custom-built PC, I always recommend installing Intel's drivers first. This gives you a really good baseline and your manufacturer will overwrite any of those drivers that have been tweaked specifically for your product but, for those it doesn't overwrite, you've installed a much better driver than the generic one. Use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)
        • AMD: Use AMD Radeon Software ─ Adrenalin
        • NVIDIA: Use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience
        • Samsung SSDs: Use Samsung Magician
        • Some pre-built PC manufacturers make really good/useful driver update applications that will (usually) keep your BIOS, chipset and all other drivers up-to-date. Primarily, Dell and Lenovo and they're the only two I know to suggest.
        • [Pre-built Dell]: Use Dell Command Update (scroll down to "Download File")
        • [Pre-built Lenovo]: Use Lenovo System Update
        • For people who have custom-built their PC (like me) and have a motherboard from a manufacturer like ASUS (also me) then... good luck. Here's a link to the ASUS Download Center where you can choose your motherboard type, model & name from the dropdowns and then click "Drivers and Utilities" on the right. I recommend not downloading their Armory Crate utility (or any other utility they have) but, instead, manually downloading the driver(s) you need.

    I'm sure I'll think of more tweaks and suggestions in the future but... this took like an hour to write.
    Let me know if this helps you! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SimplifyMSP
    [link] [comments]

    What's the usefulness of Aero Peek?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:13 AM PST

    I never understood this feature.

    submitted by /u/pineapplehelmet
    [link] [comments]

    Resizing Windows/Tabs

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:35 PM PST

    Hi, does anyone know what the term is called for the thing where if you rammed your mouse on the edge of the desktop while dragging a tab it would resize it to half of the screen?

    submitted by /u/SomeDrunkie
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 - HP Microserver - 1 Nic 1Gb/s speed on LAN - 2 NIC's - 100Mb/s on LAN

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:30 PM PST

    I have an HP microserver running Windows 10.

    If i have 1 NIC enabled, i get full LAN transfer speeds and full WAN transfer speeds (Both 1GB/s)..

    If i have 2 NIC's enabled, i get around 100Mb/s LAN and 1Gb/s WAN speeds...

    I know i can't team these NIC's in Windows 10 as they aren't Intel.. But i can't fathom why this is happening.. I figured it would pick 1 NIC for transfers (it seems to favour the first NIC for WAN) but with LAN it seems to split the transfer between the 2 and the drop is drastic...

    I've tried setting and not setting a DG on the second NIC.. it makes no difference..

    Any guidance would be appreciated!

    System info is here :

    https://imgur.com/a/AtWMtBl

    submitted by /u/d4nm3d
    [link] [comments]

    Every night I put my desktop (win10) to sleep. Every morning when I get up, it's on. What gives?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:03 PM PST

    Windows 7 installation USB crashing on the “starting windows”

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:14 PM PST

    Problems with Windows Mail

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:07 PM PST

    Hi, I've been using Windows Mail for a long time and recently it has stopped functioning. Clicking on an email will not open the email. It freezes. And after a few minutes it crashes.

    Is anyone else having this issue?

    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Restarting the computer. And readding my email accounts (I have two gmail accounts).

    Sometimes it will work okay (opens emails) for a few seconds then it freezes up. (I can click buttons, but nothing happens.) Then it crashes to the desktop without errors.

    submitted by /u/TangerineWaves
    [link] [comments]

    I can't rename my virtual desktops

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:55 PM PST

    I saw a post about how an update in may allowed for the renaming of virtual desktops. I am currently caught up with all updates but can't rename them. I got this computer back in November if that helps

    submitted by /u/VippersorYT
    [link] [comments]

    No hate on Windows 10 but it has the most boring default wallpaper

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:01 PM PST

    I remember when Windows XP had Bliss

    Vista had Aurora

    and Windows 7 had a harmony with a logo but it still had butterflies birds and stuff

    but windows 10 has just a logo -.-

    submitted by /u/Hillios
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard won’t work under Windows startup

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:31 PM PST

    Hello, I recently reset my pc and now I can't choose Windows options because my keyboard does not do anything. I know my keyboard works because I can go into BIOS with it.

    Any tips on how I can fix this problem and enter my computer? Please help if you can :)

    submitted by /u/meybeautistic
    [link] [comments]

    Pc hard freezing

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:44 PM PST

    Hi guys, so I recently got a new pc: i5-10400, rtx 2070, 16gb 3200mhz ram, 512gb m.2, 1tb hdd. And when I play some games, in particular Rust and CS:GO, I will be playing fine for a hour or so and then my pc hard freezes. It only happens when I'm playing the game, never when I'm doing work or just talking with friends. The only way to power down my pc is by the power button on the case or pulling the plug. All my drivers are up to date and I have stressed all components in my pc and had no failures, I also tested the ssd and hdd and there were no bad reads. Unsure what to do as I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the games, verifying the game files etc. Please note that it only happens on Rust and csgo, no others. I've played R6 with friends for hours with no errors and watchdogs leigon with max setting with medium ray tracing which is definitely more GPU intensive then rust of csgo and that had no crashes or hard freezes. Could anyone suggest what to try as I feel like I'm running out of options Thanks

    submitted by /u/_daniel25__
    [link] [comments]

    What is this and what is the fix? By far the most annoying windows bug I have EVER encountered. Jesus CHRIST.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:44 PM PST

    Commit memory reaches 51gb and make everything crash

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:33 PM PST

    Last post about system running out of memory with only 70% ram usage

    I'm troubleshooting this strange issue and i found something on event viewer that shows that the system have "SystemCommitCharge" of about 51.3 GB with a limit of 51.4GB when everything started crashing.

    The alert is called "Resource-Exahustion-Detector"

    SystemInfo

    SystemCommitLimit 51467358208

    SystemCommitCharge 51298762752

    ProcessCommitCharge 13845716992

    PagedPoolUsage 699002880

    PhysicalMemorySize 17107619840

    PhysicalMemoryUsage 8633765888

    NonPagedPoolUsage 646434816

    Processes 222

    The RAM usage is only about 60% but the commitCharge is 51GB. It also lists 3 process on processInfo (Probably the heaviest ones) and the total of commitCharge of theese 3 process barely reaches 7 GB

    I cannot find any solution and the issue is really hard to reproduce. I'm running out of ideas and a complete Windows wipe would be a giant pain. Anybody have this issue in the past? please

    submitted by /u/ReyvCna
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft please bring back emulation tab for New Edge browser

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:13 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel