• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, January 12, 2021

    Home Networking What the wife don’t know won’t hurt her

    Home Networking What the wife don’t know won’t hurt her


    What the wife don’t know won’t hurt her

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/UUJsTKo

    Had some issues with the TV buffering a lot on HBOMAX and wanted to hardwire but I was already using the wall port near the TV for the UAP. Bought this cheap switch and mounted all this behind the TV. I doubt she will ever notice (maybe she will notice that the TV doesn't buffer anymore?)

    Disclaimer: of course I did actually tell my wife and she thought it was horrible. You win some you lose some.

    submitted by /u/amantonas
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-wiring house for network/IP security cameras. Better to run cable directly to camera, or to terminate at an IP67 rated keystone/wall plate in the soffit and run a patch cable to the camera?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:41 AM PST

    As the title suggest is is better/cleaner/more professional to run a cable directly to the camera or to run to a IP67 rated keystone and wall plate and the run a patch cable from the keystone to the camera?

    submitted by /u/shelms488
    [link] [comments]

    Asus or Netgear Combo?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:12 PM PST

    Moving into a 1200 sq foot home.

    Will have 3 devices connected directly via ethernet to the modem. Debating on getting a Modem + Router combo. Internet will be through Spectrum at 400 Mbps. I'd like something that's 'future proof', with DOCSIS 3.1 if possible.

    Just been reading through several reviews on Amazon and not sure which modem + router combo to get.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/asdfasd82
    [link] [comments]

    4G internet in rural UK

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 12:36 PM PST

    Hello r/HomeNetworking. I live in rural UK so normal broadband is a no-go. I don't live far away from the tower (about a mile and a half(2.4km)) so I get strong 4G LTE signal 4 sometimes 5 bars. I have a Huawei B535 router using three ISP with two rabbit ear ariels. On some mornings the internet is perfect (or what I consider to be perfect): average 80 ping. In the evening the ping goes up to around 300-400 ping. If it's congestion then everyone in my area must be using 4G home WiFi which I doubt. There is probably around 5 houses in the area that would probably be connected to it (if they also have three mobile).

    I have tried quite a few things now but I'm stumped. Maybe buy an external antenna? Does anyone have experience with those? Are they any good?

    Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/RobbyG8888
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks All!

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 11:14 AM PST

    With your help and tips, was able to prove it was a wiring issue and Comcast rewired from Pole to Modem.

    Went from 30Mbs to 500Mbs and no more Resends at 6 million a day.

    Thanks Again~!

    submitted by /u/Best-Independence-38
    [link] [comments]

    building a new 4000sqf home.. should i use cat6 or cat7 or cat8?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 01:09 PM PST

    Connection with mobile hotspot- undetectable?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:49 PM PST

    I'm employed in Ohio and have worked from home for the past two years. In the teleworking contract, it states a "mobile workspace" is not permitted. If I managed to get a hotspot connected to my work computer, is there anyway I could prevent them from knowing where I am? I lent my nighthawk mobile hotspot to a friend (works somewhere else) and she ended up getting in trouble at work then they locked her out of her PC when it showed she was in FL while she was on vacation. Are there any jobs that are okay with someone bouncing around as they work? It seems like many companies are not okay with employing people who aren't living at one place, in one state. I don't want to change things to happen to me at my company. Is there a workaround for this? If it's worth mentioning, I use a Meraki Z3 at work through a work provided laptop. I dream of traveling the country at my own leisure and have wondered about this for some time. Thanks for any suggestions/advice!!

    submitted by /u/SynthyKitten
    [link] [comments]

    Wiring in existing CAT6 cables, requirement for switch or router

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:20 PM PST

    We got an extension last year, the wifi has been quite spotty but during the build we got ethernet run into the new part of the house. In the loft, we currently have 1 CAT6 running from the router downstairs and then multiple outgoing connections to other rooms.

    One of the rooms below the loft has particularly bad wifi (ideally would like ethernet but would likely need to be run from the switch in the loft). Given this, is it worthwile getting a new router above this room (in the loft) to take the incoming cat6 from the existing router and then distribute this to the other rooms & provide an access point?

    Another thought, is to do ethernet over coax for that stubborn room below, to avoid having to run a CAT6 from the roof to the room, would this be possible?

    I am completely new to networking, so any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BeigeSponge
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming Latency

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:10 PM PST

    Looking for any new suggestions.

    I am experiencing some latency issues that have given me some disadvantages while playing an online VR multiplayer game. I have upgraded my hardware (PC, modem, ethernet, ISP package), contacted the game devs, and contacted my ISP.

    I have played around with my ethernet settings, TCP optimizer (disabling nagle's algorithm, etc...). Nothing appears to resolve the issue. The game is called Echo Arena which is a VR Esport (Oculus) a bit like a mix of basketball and soccer in Zero-G. I have had some high latency issues when playing despite steady 0-packet loss connections to the server with other players.

    Here is an example of the latency:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zgmfM4rpI

    Here are my specs:

    • AMD Ryzen 3900X (4.2Ghz)
    • 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    • RTX 2080 Ti GPU
    • ACE MEG x570 Motherboard
    • 1 TB SSD Storage
    • 850W PSU
    • 1 Gbps download, 35 Mbps upload
    • Using an Oculus VR CV1 headset

    In the above clip, I have 55ms ping, 0 packet loss. My friend who lives in the same region, has the same values. My speed test (ookla) values to my the test server (~1-2 hours away) is 8 ping, 940 Mbps Download, and 35 Mbps upload. Cox Communications only offers a 1Gbps package with 35 Mbps upload, and that appears to be what I get.

    I am not bottlenecking in memory, graphics, system, or network. Per the developer's suggestions, I have run several traceroutes, WINMTR, and ping commands to the servers and all look fine. I typically get 60ms to the server along with other players on similar ping values. Many have confirmed that the level and frequency of issues that I am seeing is abnormal.

    When playing, I can describe it as some sort of disconnect with information updating to me, or information getting from me to the server (one or the other). People can steal the disc from what are past positions of the disc to me. Similarly, when I shoot it (sometimes nowhere near them), the disc freezes and I see a severe reversal of events, drastically so as in the clip above.

    The developers have suggested that due to my ping and non-packet loss, it is not an issue on their end. This issue happens regardless if I'm using the Oculus CV1 or Rift S headset. I also have another CV1 that I've played on with a similar issue. I have another gaming PC (i7 3.5 Ghz, 1660 Ti, 16GB RAM) that I have tried as well, with the same issue.

    submitted by /u/Chrome_Platypus
    [link] [comments]

    Cogeco 1GBPS Internet

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:53 PM PST

    Has anyone been able to install their own modem and router using the Cogeco 1 GBPS internet service? I have been looking at the ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 3.1 Gigabit Speed Cable Modem to replace the modem/router Hitron Coda 4582 supplied to me by Cogeco.

    I just want to have a litte more control over my home network

    submitted by /u/Brewman1952
    [link] [comments]

    Application for network monitoring/blocking

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:36 PM PST

    Hello there!

    I am looking for some kind of advanced application that would help me monitor my home network (few hosts), would allow me to see browse history etc and also create block list with possibility to exclude some hosts from it. I have been using pihole before, but that was not ideal solution and also would introduce latency to my voip somehow when putting rasperry's ip for dns. It could be few apps, it could be windows/linux (ubuntu server on rasperry pi 4), could be paid, best one life time license if possible. I was looking for quite some time and really could not find anything, it is really possible I did not know to look for it well. Any help would be appreciated. My main router is RT-AC68U running on merlin. I would not mind additional hardware/firewall if there is no other good solution.

    submitted by /u/yegego5256
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear CM600 No longer Available?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 04:49 PM PST

    I was looking to get a new router and I've had my eye set on the CM600 for awhile. I have Suddenlink and it's one of the better ones that works well with the company or so I've heard (the company is either hit or miss). However, I just looked it up today with the intentions of ordering one, but they're no longer available apparently. With that being said, what's a good router? I currently have plan of 200mbps and I get around 100mpbs wired with my Arris TM822. I might upgrade my plan later as well.

    submitted by /u/NaturalShift2
    [link] [comments]

    access a home hard drive for multiple devices

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:35 PM PST

    I have a 1 TB hard with data (pictures, home video, music) I want to share on my computer, phone and tablet

    I know I can share my drive on my computer but it requires to be online

    How can I access my data if my computer is offline

    submitted by /u/LazarusD3
    [link] [comments]

    I need help setting up two routers in my home WITHOUT connecting them to each other.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:12 PM PST

    I've searched a lot on the internet to try and figure this out, but I can only find people explaining how to connect two routers to each other and use one as an extender. That is NOT what I'm trying to do.

    I don't know a whole lot about internet and routers, only some basic things, so excuse me for my lingo. I have router 1, my original router, and router 2, a new router that I want to set up in a separate location. How I have them set up is I've bought a splitter to plug into the cable that connects to router 1 to the internet and split it off into two cables BEFORE it connects to router 1. From there I then plugged in both routers separately.

    The things is, they both work. You can connect to both and access the internet just fine. But a couple of times over the past couple of days, one router will completely lose connection to the internet and will not reconnect until unplugging it and/or unplugging the other router and then re-plugging them in.

    This had never happened before now, and my thought is that the two routers are both trying to separately access the internet from my ISP and it's causing issues, eventually causing one to just stop connecting to the internet entirely.

    My main question is, is there something I can do to make sure that they don't interfere with each other while being set up like this? Or should I just connect the two routers like you usually would and just use one as an extender?

    If it matters, one router is inside the house and the other one is actually outside in a shed.

    submitted by /u/yohik
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple Access Points in House - Followup Questions

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:07 PM PST

    Previous thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/ktxu8f/multiple_wireless_access_pints_for_large_house/

    I ended up buying a netgear WAC104 (AC1200) to try it out. I have my Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) wireless router hooked up in the network closet, and the WAC104 across the house. I setup both with the same SSID and password, and my devices seem to join the network through whatever access point is closer. A few more questions though:

    1) Devices seem to favor the Nighthawk, even if they're closer to the WAC104. Is this because the Nighthawk has a more powerfull antenna (I'm assuming this is the case).

    2) I bought the WAC104 to test because it was fairly cheap ($45), is there a better option for access points without getting crazy expensive? I'm getting between 200-300 Mbps on speedtest with the WAC104, which is plenty for my needs.

    3) The network closet isn't in the best location, and it seems that things would be better if I had a simple router there, and put the Nighthawk in a more central location in the house. The Nighthawk is also too large to fit inside the cabinet in the network closet, so something smaller would be nicer. Can anyone recommend a different router to use? Smaller is better so I can fit it inside the cabinet and close the door to clean everything up. I would set the Nighthawk up as an access point in this case.

    4) I noticed that the Nighthawk allows speeds up to 600Mbps/1300Mbps for 2.4Ghz/5.0GHz networks, where the WAC104 only allows up to 300Mbps/867Mbps. Since these are higher than I can really expect to get (my ISP maxes at 940Mbps), do I care?

    5) Should I let each access point choose it's own broadcast channel? I currently have the 2.4GHz network on 1 and 6, and a third would go on 11 to avoid overlap. And I have the 5.0GHz network on 149 and 153. The Nighthawk gave me a popup that recommended channels higher than 149, when I selected 36. It seems to work out okay like this, but I haven't played around with channel settings at all.

    6) There is one spot in my house that I still get a so-so signal at. Would adding a WIFI repeater in the middle help out there without slowing everything else down?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/hightechburrito
    [link] [comments]

    Best Wireless AP Ecosystem?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:46 PM PST

    Taking thoughts on the best ecosystem for Wireless AP's in a house? I currently have three Apple AP's (One TimeCapsule and Two APE's) however they're starting to show their age and I'm looking to prepare for their demise.

    I like having an ecosystem of devices that have a high level of interoperability. I also want all my AP's to be connected via ethernet, wireless mesh systems are a scam. Don't want Google WiFi as I don't trust them, and their feature-set is too limited (I'm a security analyst and like to customize settings) Ubiquiti was high on my list until this week when they got compromised again. They're still my #1 I guess, but wanted to get opinions before I solidify my belief.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/schrachzamm
    [link] [comments]

    Dumping the ISP rented gateway for something of my own, only I don’t know what to get.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 07:14 PM PST

    I live in a apartment complex so there's a lot of interference around me. My unit in particular is a shotgun style unit (very long, think 1x5). I originally experimented with a Netgear C7800 gateway. It was great but at the furthest point it just died out and nothing got signal. I borrowed my friends Eero mesh 3 pack and it was super overkill but perfect at the same time. I tried 1 eero and everything was 100% working fine.

    No idea what to get. Probably a mesh considering how long the unit is. Any recommendations? I have about 15 devices connected. Ranging from Ring cameras, consoles, TVs and the basics. My ISP plan is 600 down.

    As mentioned. I do have that Netgear C7800 I could just use as a modem. So al I really need is a router or mesh.

    submitted by /u/12InchPickle
    [link] [comments]

    I'm still getting a lot of connection issues in games despite my ISP claiming my connection seems fine.

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:37 PM PST

    Is there anything I can do to help this at this point? I've tried using an eero with its SQM solution and it barely helped. When I play COD, it constantly, 100% of the time shows the packet burst icon varying between yellow and red. In Battlefield, it constantly shows packet loss and ping variation symbols, no matter which server I connect to. In Rainbow Six and other games, it shows me the generic connection issues icons or messages. This happens hardwired or on WiFi on PS4, PS5, and PC. My ISP tells me their signal looks fine and I've had a technician come out who changed out the modem and checked the lines, tried a Ookla speedtest, determined it's fine and left, but the issue still persists. I've tried a traceroute to both Facebook and Google, getting results showing stuff like this with variation and lost signals. Is there anything else I could try? Also I removed the IP addresses as a precaution since I'm not entirely certain what they may signify.

    15 ms 26 ms 89 ms

    3 10 ms 24 ms 9 ms

    4 29 ms 10 ms 10 ms

    5 81 ms 34 ms 43 ms

    6 56 ms 39 ms 43 ms

    7 * * * Request timed out.

    8 52 ms 34 ms 33 ms

    9 76 ms 93 ms 107 ms

    10 * * 44 ms

    11 32 ms 30 ms 28 ms

    12 59 ms 28 ms *

    13 * * * Request timed out.

    14 * * * Request timed out.

    15 * * * Request timed out.

    16 * * * Request timed out.

    17 * * * Request timed out.

    18 * * * Request timed out.

    19 * * * Request timed out.

    20 * * * Request timed out.

    21 * * * Request timed out.

    22 41 ms 52 ms 29 ms yx-in-x64.1e100.net

    submitted by /u/FaultedPlace
    [link] [comments]

    Signal strength in basement

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:36 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I am a law student currently working out of a basement office. The signal strength from my xfinity router (DPC3941T) is ok but I have experienced issues and am looking at trying to increase the signal. I've looked at purchasing a singal booster including the xfinity pods or just outright purchasing a new router for my house instead of renting one (renting because this was the setup when I moved into the house and wasn't going to argue with the roomies at the time). House has the 300mbps plan currently and I typically get around 80-110 mbps (speedtest.com) which is ok for most streaming/tasks but takes forever if I am downloading large files/movies/etc. (will typically get speeds much less than 80mbps) which for some of the large files i've been working with lately and expect to continue with is bugging the crap out of me.

    So question is, is it cheaper to buy a booster, get a different xfinity router, or buy a new router altogether (as compared to buying something like the xfinity pods)?

    submitted by /u/terpmike28
    [link] [comments]

    Home Network Help needed!! (INCLUDES OPENDNS)

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:45 PM PST

    Hello,

    I have a need for setting up OpenDNS for my home network. It is not particularly for me, but for another person. We're curious on how to set it up.

    We have an ISP Router and an extra router ( TP-Link) that is connected to the ISP Router. We are wanting the ISP Router to allow the adults to have full access to the internet and the TP-Link Router to keep the kids safe. Note: we have a lot of devices for both the adults and kids.

    The ISP Router has DNS set to the ISP DNS Servers.

    The TP-Link Router has its DNS set to the OpenDNS Servers. The TP-Link router also has a two different places to add DNS settings (WAN and LAN). Not sure which one to change.

    Was this done right? I have no experience in setting up two routers in the same network.

    What is the proper way to set this up without any conflicts?

    Here's the link to the Home Network Diagram that I created: https://lucid.app/lucidchart/b2b42908-b82a-465d-9256-307677be32b9/view

    Let me know what is the recommendation. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/EncryptedFloppyDisk
    [link] [comments]

    Improving my home network

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:41 PM PST

    Hi all. I currently have a Nighthawk r7000p router at home and despite the blurb saying it would be ok to cover large areas I'm finding I'm getting a lot of drop out.

    I've done the usual stuff like messing around with channels etc and I'm in the country so no issues with neighbours.

    My house is 430 square meters and I'm finding I've got no Wi-fi either end. I also have a number of outbuildings and electric gates that I would like to have Wi-fi.

    I'm looking at getting some AX1800 "mesh" (I believe it's not real mesh from what I've read) units as they are cheapish and would fit in with my existing kits. I don't need really fast internet in these areas- just so I can monitor the gates and play music wherever I am.

    Do people here think that would work ok? Or would I be better spending another few hundred for the Uniquiti AMPLIFI AFi-HD mesh Wi-Fi system?

    submitted by /u/Procrasterman
    [link] [comments]

    Network emulation software that supports VMs

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:40 PM PST

    I need a network emulation software that can support VMs. I cannot seem to find any network emulation software that supports VMs maybe I am not using the right keywords but I am out of ideas.

    Background information

    I want to emulate a network environment with cisco products. I also want VMs connected to said emulated cisco switches/ routers.

    submitted by /u/zarkangelks1
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet Cable and Port Help

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:53 AM PST

    Hey Reddit, recently I have been thinking about using ethernet to get a stronger internet connection, but I have no idea what anything means. Next to my PC, I have three ports that all look like ethernet ports. One is blue, one is gray, and one doesn't have any color around it. Which port should I use?

    Also, I saw on Google that different color cables mean different things, but it was a little confusing. I only have a yellow cable. Would that work?

    Last thing: There has to be a cable from my PC to the port in my bedroom, then a cable from the port near my router that plugs into the router, right?

    Thanks

    EDIT: Sorry for not clarifying, but thank you for the information that you gave, I understand now.

    submitted by /u/fraserjosef
    [link] [comments]

    Tp-link Homecare time limits - possible to alert kids before it goes off?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:21 PM PST

    I can't find any info about this. I have a Archer AX50 on it's way which I purchased to use HomeCare parental controls. To set time limits, bed time etc.

    I'm now a bit worried because I can't find any info about how to alert the kids just before their internet is cut off so they can say bye to their friends and also save progress or properly quit games.

    At the moment I use a script on my computer to use Alexa to announce to their rooms it's going off, then 10 mins later turn it off on my router. But it's all a bit technical I want something simpler to control my kids internet.

    If they don't get any warnings then every single day they will complain to turn it back on so they can finish what they're doing. I have 3 kids.

    Does anyone know if in TP-Links HomeCare there is a way to send alerts out before the internet is cut off? It's a fundamental requirement in my mind but I can't find any info about it.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/lozcozard
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use coax coming from the wall for an extender?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 05:21 PM PST

    Hi all don't post often so let me know if I need more info here. My ISPs router is connected to coax through the wall but I also have one of these coax points in my office as well. Can I either maybe use a coax to Ethernet converter on that or maybe an extender? Also if I wanted to could I move the whole router there? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/LosDeff
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel