• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, January 8, 2021

    Home Networking Planning a Home Network for your Smart Home for Beginners in 2021

    Home Networking Planning a Home Network for your Smart Home for Beginners in 2021


    Planning a Home Network for your Smart Home for Beginners in 2021

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:51 AM PST

    YouTube Link: Planning a Home Network for Beginners

    TLDW; In the video I share my plans for my home network for 2021 and how you can think about your one if you are starting from scratch.
    I also share my current network and future plans.

    ps: I checked with the mods before posting this

    submitted by /u/digitalspringmedia
    [link] [comments]

    Moved into brand new house, need to make my own ethernet ends and not sure which color code to use

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:25 PM PST

    Hey Guys,

    So I have wires running into every room but no ends. As such, I need to crimp my own cables.

    On some websites I read that I need to do T568-A and others say it's T568-B.

    What I want to do is connect one end to my Modem/Router and the other end to my PC/Playstation/Xbox.

    Which do I need?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/peji911
    [link] [comments]

    Help securing apartment complex open network

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:43 PM PST

    My apartment complex just switched over to a new internet provider that has chosen not to implement any sort of captive login system or wireless password, leaving the whole network open to whoever wants to connect.

    I had been in the process of setting up a way to better protect myself from any malicious actors, but I'm now a little confused as to whether or not it would be beneficial now that I can see how the network is configured.

    When I connect to the newly created SSID, I'm unable to see any other devices on the network. My initial concern when the complex laid out the tradition plan was that all my devices would be plainly exposed to whoever else was also connected to the network, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    How would you go about configuring a network that prevents clients from seeing each other? If I'm unable to see other devices on the network, would there still be any point in setting up a router to hide my devices behind?

    My original plan was to setup a personal router, connect all my devices to it, and forward all it's traffic through a VPN. Now I'm not so sure that any of that is necessary, but my understanding of networking is fairly loose.

    Is what the complex has done with the network generally secure enough to trust using my devices on?

    submitted by /u/DeathRebel224
    [link] [comments]

    How do I connect two routers to a modem/router?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:55 PM PST

    Currently I have a router connected to my ISP modem/router (it's a two in one). It's connected lan to lan and has been working fine. (two separate network names as well)

    I'm looking to disable the Wi-Fi on the ISP modem/router. I plan on adding another router that I'm going to buy. Let's call this router (a) and my other extended router (b).

    Do I connect the ISP modem (with wifi disabled) to the new router (a) WAN port? Then connect my router (b) LAN to LAN port on router (a)

    Or, Can I still have router (b) connected to the lan port on the ISP modem, and simply connect the new router (a) WAN to WAN?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Nochinnn
    [link] [comments]

    Fun Outdoor PoE Devices?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:38 PM PST

    I just moved into a new apartment that just so happens to have a POE line out to an easily accessible RF dish from a WISP. It leads directly from the "networking cabinet" in the kitchen. The dish is situated on a DirecTV mount on a back entrance and has a clear LoS to the entire backyard.

    I want to return the dish and add a new PoE device for a bit of nerdy network flair. Should I just slap an outdoor AP out there, or is there something I can do that would be a bit more creative?

    I was thinking of an IP speaker, but I hesitate to do that without being able to use Google Cast.

    submitted by /u/crunchytiddy
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting PS4 with Netgear power line network adapter

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 03:59 PM PST

    Hi there, new to the sub so apologies if I'm breaking any rules. I have been doing my research for a couple days but haven't had much luck.

    The goal is to get my PlayStation to be on a wired connection. My modem is in a closet and it extends to the router via wires inside walls. The main router is in different room. The ps4 and modem are fairly close to each other and 2 rooms away from the main router.

    My internet guy advised that I buy the power line adapter. The set up I have is my ISP line goes to a switch. From the switch, I have an Ethernet cable going into the modem. I have another cable going into one of the power line adapters. While my WiFi still works with this setup, I do not get internet on the power adapter. Am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/cavem7n
    [link] [comments]

    Hardwiring Google Wifi

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:27 PM PST

    We just moved to a new house that has Gigabit Fiber… trying to best utilize my Google Wifi with this. The fiber comes in and connects in a basement utility room – then connects to the ISP provided All-in-One modem/router with the routing turned off. Then hardwired to the first (primary) google puck and then to an unmanaged Netgear Switch. I then plugged in the Cat5 that supposedly leads up to my upstairs TV area. ISP Modem/Router --> Primary Google Wifi Puck --> Netgear Gigabit Switch --> Cat5 that leads to upstairs jack --> 2nd Wifi Puck ….. (Third is wireless).

    I don't feel like the ethernet backhaul is currently working. The app still shows mesh, and it doesn't seem I get speeds that I would assume to be accurate. The Google Home app shows may main puck getting 7-800 down from the modem. And from my phone wifi, I'm only pulling 100-200 near the upstairs (supposed hardwired puck). Also; I tried unplugging the puck and instead plugging that jack directly into my Xbox One and it's settings show it as wired connection, but still only getting 400 down speed; is this kind of degradation common?? From the 7-800 initial speed and being hardwired the entire path?

    I'm about to give up, but hoping for some pointers… I'm definitely a rookie with this stuff, so take it easy!! 😊

    submitted by /u/salennon07
    [link] [comments]

    Sky Broadband RJ11 wall socket to RJ45

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:25 PM PST

    Current situation: I have sky broadband coming into my house and it appears the wall plate to sky box uses a cable with an rj11 connector on both ends. There is an ethernet cable running from the sky broadband box to a gigabit switch, which then has cables running through the house. When I plug in an ethernet cable I'm getting about 10% of the expected speeds.

    I'm looking for a way to resolve this as wifi is even faster than ethernet in some places. I have some tp link deco m4's coming to improve wifi and wanted to completely bypass the sky box, however they only have rj45 connections. Is there a way to convert the rj11 connection to an rj45 connection or am I going to have to turn my sky box into a modem?

    Any other suggestions on how to resolve this are welcome (changing provider isn't an option atm).

    submitted by /u/GingerHeadSam
    [link] [comments]

    My custom built PC gets slower speeds when hardwired than my MacBook Pro on WiFi

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 06:58 PM PST

    I have a custom built PC that among other things, I use for a media server. I have been using the Google WiFi app (I have Nest WiFi) and LibreSpeed (running in docker on the PC, and my MacBook Pro) to test the speed to the server and various devices on my network.

    I was testing my connection between my iPhone and the PC, and between my iPhone and the MacBook Pro with LibreSpeed (all local) and found that I get a faster connection between my iPhone and the MackBook Pro (~150 mbps) all over WiFi than I do between my iPhone and the PC (~100 mbps) when the PC is hardwired to the router. The speeds between iPhone and MacBook Pro (WiFi) are consistently faster than iPhone and PC (hardwired).

    This does not make any sense to me. Any thoughts on what could cause that to happen?

    submitted by /u/obvi-Ruth-Irish-TBH
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 06:33 PM PST

    If my sister were to plug an ethernet cable to her computer would it make the wifi slower for my family members there are 5 people who use that same router in our family.

    submitted by /u/mangojjh
    [link] [comments]

    DNS Issue or something else?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:57 PM PST

    I'm trying to figure out if my internet drops might be an issue with my router, modem, or dns issues. I originally had been seeing my internet drop for around 5 minutes randomly during the days which gets annoying as both my wife and I work from home. I noticed on one of the outages earlier this week that it said I had reached the max limit of 150 concurrent dns requests. So, I set up pihole to try to rule out dns issues and be able to track if something was spamming it or maybe just a side effect of it going down and everything coming back. There were big spikes in requests around the outages today again but digging through logs all seem to be pretty standard requests and nothing in particular seemed out of sort except a huge number of requests. Any thoughts on how I could troubleshoot this further to see if it might be my openwrt router, a dns issue, modem, or maybe upstream isp? I know it's not WiFi related as my hardwired devices also dropped.

    Pihole Graph

    submitted by /u/bay_wolf
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Gigabit D/L speeds

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:53 PM PST

    Hi everyone.

    I am currently subscribed to Bell Canada FTTH parallel gigabit up/down.

    My home network has an Edge router X SFP as the firewall/ router and connects to a small 5 port Poe switch to run my WAPs and a 48 port (24 ports are connected) switch that is wired throughout my home.

    I have configured the router such that the FTTH SFP plugs directly into the ER-X and I have accurately adjusted the config to eliminate the service providers device.

    I can consistently get upload speeds through a Cat 6 wired connection of well above 750, however D/L seems to top out at around 460-490.

    I have enabled the hwnat offload to optimize performance, but is there something I am missing? Firmware is up to date as well

    TIA

    submitted by /u/thompr2
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi issues while gaming

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:41 PM PST

    I recently moved to a duplex. I have the ground floor and basement. The coaxial cable runs into my living room, but I have my gaming set up down stairs. I have a console and I can't keep a reliable signal. I rent so I would prefer not to drill holes in the floor and walls to run an ethernet cable. I currently allowing my internet provider to screw me by renting a modem/router combination. I can add in an edit what modem I have. I was curious if there was a modem/router you recommended, since I want to stop renting one, or if I should try a signal booster?

    submitted by /u/Fearlesspride97
    [link] [comments]

    Good wireless access point

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:12 PM PST

    Does anyone have suggestions for a good wireless access point for home use? Need a second access point to extend the range out of my ISP provided router.

    submitted by /u/coys2686
    [link] [comments]

    My PC is stuck at 120mbps while my partners computer gets the full gigabit

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:07 PM PST

    EDIT: Solved! It turned out to be a simple driver issue. See my reply below. Can't believe I overlooked that.

    This is the latest in a string of issues I've had with my computer. Abridged version is that the breaker in my home office kept flipping and as part of my process of elimination I replaced the PSU in my computer as it was quite old and I was concerned it may be causing a short. When I booted up the PC after the PSU install one of my hard drives was fried, and the LEDs on my water cooler were fried. I tossed the hard drive, and replaced the cooler, and everything seems to be working fine. Then I noticed that my internet for some reason seems to be capped at 120mbps, while my partner, who sits in the same room as me, and is also wired in to the router is getting the full gigabit speed from our service provider. I swapped the ethernet cable and get the same results. I've check all my firm ware and software and it all seems to be in working order. Any idea what could be causing this?

    submitted by /u/StarBarf
    [link] [comments]

    Only Android Devices Not Receiving Internet Despite being 'connected' To Sky Q Hub Set as WAP

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:03 PM PST

    Hi,

    I have found searching for answers on this problematic as i get generic 'android can't connect to internet' search results that don't help so sorry if this is a repeated question.

    I have a virgin media router and recently set up an old sky Q hub as a wireless access point. Everything went fine but all android based devices won't receive internet. They will connect and be assigned an IP, all looking fine, but not receive actual internet. One of the devices, a nvidia shield, is connected via ethernet to the virgin media router and also doesn't get internet which seems odd.

    While this points to an android issue it's in conjunction with the sky Q hub as when the Q hub is disconnected all devices return to normal.

    I've tried all the obvious solutions like resetting network settings on the android devices and resetting both routers.

    Both routers have the same SSID and password, are not on the same IP address as the other router or any other device on the network. DHCP is turned off on the Q hub. They are on different channels, but as far as i'm aware that makes no difference (as i have tried putting the routers on the same channel).

    My best guess is this points to a probable security setting that i need to change on the Q hub but i'm out of my knowledge depth and hard to search for answers on google.

    Any help much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/alistairbinley
    [link] [comments]

    3 different routers, no gigabit speeds ever.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:56 PM PST

    I have a weird issue that I'm seeing. So I have a gigabit fiber connection. My network is Modem > CableA (cat5e) > Router > CableB (Cat6) > Switch > CableC (Cat6) > Computer.

    From the end of CableA (ie at the modem) I get 950 up/down. If I modify my network and go Modem > CableA > Switch > CableB or CableC > Computer. I get 950 up/down.

    Now. I have tried THREE different routers. I have the Netgear Nighthawk X6S , the D-Link DIR-890L , and the Asus AX86U. All very competent routers.

    The Nighthawk I can get 350mb/s up/down. The DLink I get 900 down but 0.1 up. And the Asus I get 950 down, but 1.5 up.

    What is going on here?!?! I reset all of them to default, update the firmware to the latest version and then run a speed test across hardwire. And I can't get the speeds that a basic switch can get. Any ideas on what to try next?

    submitted by /u/jgoodwin27
    [link] [comments]

    Home network with hard drive access from multiple computers, using Mac

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:49 PM PST

    I have 4 Mac computers. I'd like a hard drive of a few TB that I can access through the network from all computers. I have a netgear c7000-100nas modem/router and a 500gb usb hard drive, I accessed it and copied a file, but I can't get it to work any more.

    Is this possible and I need to work at this some more, or is there a simpler option like WD mycloud home that will work better? I need to copy big (1-5 gb) video files to the hard drive.

    submitted by /u/konajones
    [link] [comments]

    Static route for hostname?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:42 PM PST

    I know that's very likely a nonsensical title, I don't know the name of the thing I'm looking for.

    The issue is this: I'm in a hotel doing a 6 month training for work and brought my electronics with me. My network consists of a server, gaming computer and router connected to the hotel network. I'm using a VPN that offers public IP and port forwarding to access my server via dynamic DNS. The issue is because I'm using a VPN all traffic directed at my public IP goes out through the VPN and back, even traffic from inside the LAN.

    What I would like to do is redirect traffic targeting my public IP back to the WAN interface. What would I call this? Static route? Hostname entry? Local DNS?

    submitted by /u/rao000
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another upgrade question

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:32 PM PST

    Greetings,

    I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk X8 (R8500). I just went through the "smartening" of the home and I have 20-25 devices on it. I stream music, some video and have two Ring cameras, MyQ Liftmaster garage door, a couple Alexa's, Google Minis, 3-4 Android devices. There's no gaming use. I have Xfinity 500M and not looking to upgrade the speed. I have connection issues once in a while and often stuttering on the Cameras. And for some reason, the Google Home devices won't stay connected using the 5Ghz but connect on the 2.4Ghz which I think doesnt help the cameras any.

    I am wondering if it time to upgrade the network. I looked at mesh systems and like the Netgear Orbi RBK752 Wifi 6/Tri band @$400 but its a bit steep. The Wifi 5 version is $100 less. I've liked the Netgear products. The TP-Link Deco X20 and X60 seem to have good ratings are a little more in the budget ($250ish).

    Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences upgrading?

    TIA :)

    submitted by /u/Pop06095
    [link] [comments]

    Second router in ap mode won’t connect in aimesh

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:27 PM PST

    I just bought a GT-AX11000 and a RT-AX88U and followed all the steps to use the ax11000 as my main router that got bridged with my shaw modem and the ax88u in ap mode then tried to connect it as the node with no luck. I have been talking with the asus techs and they said I did everything it should be working. I watched all the videos on YouTube and read all the forums I can find with no luck. When the ax88u was in the aimesh node it connected to the aimesh but I want it in ap mode so I can connect my drives to it and share data from my computers only, any help?

    submitted by /u/biggwillie40
    [link] [comments]

    Question on unusual IP address in my home network.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 12:38 PM PST

    While debugging a separate issue, I opened my network netmask on my router up to 255.255.0.0 . My router's list of connected devices then showed me that I had a "Wistron Neweb Corporation" device on a subnet different from the one I normally use. Based on questions others have posted, I see that Wistron Neweb is a manufacturer of ethernet cards, and can be installed in home theater devices (Samsung BluRay players, DirectTV boxes, etc.) and a few other things. My question is why would the device show up on a different subnet? For example, let's say my home ip scheme is to run my router/dhcp server on the 192.16.1.* subnet. I would expect all devices to have an ip address of 192.161.1.XXX. When I changed my network mask, I found the Wistron Neweb device at 192.168.YY.XXX, where YY is not "1". Is that weird? One other oddity. the Wistron Neweb entry in the list of connected devices has a note stating "2 clients are connecting to [router] through this device"; I'm not sure if that's part of the problem, or what that even means.

    submitted by /u/photonwave
    [link] [comments]

    Home Networking

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:23 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I am having intermittent issues with setting up a home networking and was hoping that this could be a place where I could find help.

    I moved into a new home recently and prepared to get a ethernet network set up in the new home just like our current home. I purchased a Motorola MB-8600 and we had CAT-8 cables routed to each of the separate rooms and joined by a network switch that was ~$20 with 8 points supporting a gigabit connection on B&H Photo. However, we came across a problem where only one device was being assigned an IP address. So we returned the MB-8600 and switched to a modem/router combo instead.

    We purchased a SVG-2482AC in hopes that a router would assign IP addresses to more than one device as in our home network we also used an ARRIS Surfboard modem/router combo in order to get ethernet out. Problems persisted and we were getting extremely intermittent connection with no more than 10 minutes uptime across the day.

    We scheduled a comcast technician to head over and he said the signal on Comcast's end was fine and that the router was problematic. However, when we didn't have any of the network switches plugged in there were no problems running just WiFi alone. I'm wondering if the problem lies with the way the contractors set up the ethernet network going to each room that joins at the attic.

    I will try to answer as quickly as I can to provide any background info that may be missing.

    TL;DR:

    -Moving Homes

    -Contractors routed out CAT-8 cables to each room

    -8+ Ethernet cables joined at a $20 network switch purchased on B&H photo

    -Bought Motorola MB-8600 found that only 1 IP address assigned

    -Switch to SVG-2482AC Arris Surfboard -> Intermittent internet issues

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/LurkingGDP
    [link] [comments]

    Downsides to ofdm

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:22 PM PST

    On the downstream side what are the downsides to only being connected to the ofdm channel on cable internet? or maybe someone can suggest a better sub to post this question on.

    submitted by /u/saintwhiskeycasket
    [link] [comments]

    Arris Surfboard SBG8300 packet loss issues

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:19 PM PST

    I am occasionally experiencing packet lossage from my Arris Surfboard SBG8300. I will be playing an online game, my ping will remain constant around 40, but the game will freeze for a couple seconds and then skip frames and resume play. OR if I am working, my audio video calls will experience random choppiness where bits of audio is lost. This continues until I reboot the cable modem. My work laptop is a separate device to my gaming desktop, so this is likely not a device problem. Any ideas as to what is going on and how I can fix the packet loss issue? I typically have to reboot 2 or 3 times a week, and it is entirely random when the issues begin, but once they start, they remain until there is a reboot.

    submitted by /u/TnyTmCruise
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment:

    1. How to find the best Netgear modem?
      You'll need a robust and dependable WiFi router to have great WiFi! It's crucial. We are the WiFi specialists at NETGEAR. For more than two decades, NETGEAR has been developing routers. As a market leader, it has always been at the forefront of offering the most inventive and cutting-edge technological solutions to tackle WiFi connectivity issues in your house. We've pioneered and led the way for solid WiFi that powers all your gadgets in your house, whether you're binge-watching the latest Netflix series, playing Overwatch with your pals online, or safeguarding your home with Arlo security cameras and the best netgear modem router.

      ReplyDelete

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel