• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    Home Networking LAN Gaming for iOS via VPN

    Home Networking LAN Gaming for iOS via VPN


    LAN Gaming for iOS via VPN

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:14 PM PST

    Heyo, I am attempting to setup a VPN server on my Raspberry Pi with a local bridge to my home's LAN so that my brothers, who live elsewhere, can play Civilization 6 with me on their iPhones. I have set up the VPN and bridge according to this guide and am able to connect to the VPN and can even play a multiplayer game between my iPad and iPhone.

    But here's the catch: I can only play the multiplayer game when the game host device (my iPad in this case) is connected to the VPN and the other device (my iPhone) is connected to my WiFi. The game cannot be played when both devices are connected to the VPN. The game also cannot be played when the WiFi-connected device (iPhone) attempts to be the game host.

    After investigating with Wireshark I found that the game lobby relies on UDP broadcasting which the VPN somehow messes up. I am not well-versed in networking but am here to learn and am willing to edit this post to make it useful to as many other non-networking experts as possible. Thank you.

    I expect that this question is closely related but the answer is incompatible with the fact that we need to play the game on iOS devices.

    Details:

    • I am using SoftEther (4.34) for my server, installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+
    • My RPi is connected directly via ethernet to my router
    • The VPN type is L2TP to allow iOS devices to connect
    submitted by /u/hieronymice
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on choosing a network solution in a late 80s home.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:46 PM PST

    Hello,

    Just came across this subreddit in my search for a solution to the networking in my home. My home was built in the late 80s and was never wired for ethernet. It has coax in every room, however.

    My current setup is a cable modem/router that is linked to an orbi mesh RBk50 setup, network with a router, and one satellite. I purchased these almost three years ago and I think the router may be dying. Up until about two weeks ago, I never had any problems with it, but in the past couple of weeks, the house will lose network connectivity randomly, about 2-3 times a day. I am fairly certain it is the router, and not the modem because when we lose connectivity, I can't connect to the router admin page at all until the system is back up and everyone has internet again.

    I have around 25 devices, including desktops, tablets, and a ring security system with a floodlight camera and doorbell. I also have a NAS that I keep all my music and media on, and I stream it to various rooms, including music and 4k movies.

    I am now thinking of what I could use, especially in the rooms that stream 4k media, if I should go to a hard-wired solution. I looked into power-line adapters but learned they weren't very reliable for various reasons. I saw there is this thing called MoCA that uses the home's existing coax, which has me intrigued right now. The other two things I have thought of are a new mesh network system, but I have no idea what is considered "good" at this point and wonder if anyone has any guidance on that issue. Also, I have two attic areas upstairs off of a 1/2 story room upstairs (which is where the cable modem and router are) and have thought about running Ethernet from one of the attic areas, the one right next to where the coax goes in and connects to the modem, to the other and dropping it down into where the coax enters the main movie room/living room downstairs and getting a coax/ethernet wall plate. I would put a gigabit switch up there and might run other cables to other rooms eventually. I know this is time-consuming and may be difficult, but If anyone has done this before, are there any sites with tips on how to do it more effectively?

    That aside, I haven't paid hardly any attention to networking, wireless or wired, in the past three years. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what would be the easiest or best.

    submitted by /u/srogue
    [link] [comments]

    My router keeps dropping its internet connection. Do I need to get a better router? Or is there something I can do to figure out what is going on?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:27 PM PST

    Like the title says, my router keeps dropping its internet connection at random. The only indication I have of when it's about to happen is if I happen to be downloading something at the time and the download slows to a crawl before finally stopping. Then I'll get "no/lost connection" messages from game launcher clients on my PC. I've talked to my ISP about this multiple times and, according to them, the problem is on my end as their equipment reports back everything being fine.

    My current router is a TP-Link Archer AX1500 that I bought in March of last year to upgrade from a Linksys N300 router that I had been using for a few years after finally getting internet that wasn't dial up a few years before that. The only thing I can think of is that it's getting overheated as it will be warm (not hot) to the touch sometimes. I have an old USB laptop cooling fan/stand that I would use to cool it down, if the router had any USB ports to plug into.

    The devices that connect to it via WiFi are a phone, a tablet, a Nintendo 3DS, a Nintendo Switch when in handheld mode, and an Amazon Echo Show 5. Everything else (computer, Xbox One, TV, Blu Ray player, Nintendo Switch in docked mode with USB ethernet adapter) is connected via ethernet, with the last 4 connected via an unmanaged TP-Link network switch.

    I'm not all that savvy about various networking terms but I assume that I simply picked a router that was under powered to meet my needs. Or can I go through the router's settings/menus to find an option that can help mitigate/self-correct the issue without the need to purchase new, more expensive, hardware?

    submitted by /u/liger_0
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me understand Ubiquiti please. Questions below:

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:47 AM PST

    Hey guys. First of all I hope you're doing well, staying safe and that y'all are happy and well.

    Now for my question:

    First off I am absolutely not afraid of any manual labor and Handywork and am willing to learn what needs to be learnt to get a good WiFi network funktional. So our WiFi at home sucks. And now that it's 2021 we thought, let's upgrade. Because what can go wrong in 2021. So anyway after a bit of research I thought I would go with a Ubiquiti Dream Machine (you know the small one for home use with the integrated AP, not the rack mounted ones) and one FlexHD AP.

    I was thinking I would start off with just the FlexHD simply to replace the integrated AP in my isp's router and leave it to do just routing and ya know all the other stuff. Is this even possible? What I mean is that I don't quite understand the whole cloud key thing system they have there with the unifi controller and stuff. Because the cloud key makes me think the controller has to be running 24/7. Is it enough to install the controller on my pc, set up the FlexHD once and then just leave it or does the controller need to be running constantly (my pc is usually not on but I could buy a raspberry pi or something for 24/7 use, or even the cloud key). Also if I change a bunch of settings and then turn off the controller does the device still remember all that stuff (also in communicating with a dream machine)?

    The other question I have is how the Network will handle handoff of wifi clients when I have the dream machine as well (hopefully next month). I absolutely can't have any devices suddenly loosing internet connection or getting horrible packet loss when switching AP's because we are all constantly moving through the house with video conferenceson our laptops so they will be switching APs regularly (ya know working from home and so on). And if that happens it wouldn't be better than the current WiFi solution.

    I know I can adjust the signal strength from each AP so that there is less coverage overlap if I've understood that correctly and clients don't stick to one AP while another is closer in range or something.

    Anyway thanks so much everyone, I'd give y'all cookies if I could but hey.

    submitted by /u/TheWeirdSpark
    [link] [comments]

    T568-A Keystone Jacks / T568-B Patch Cables

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:42 PM PST

    Apologies ahead of time if this is covered in FAQ or a previous post. I am halfway through setting up my new Cat6 home Ethernet network and realized there are the two different wiring schemas. I've done all of my keystone jack punchdowns as T568-A at my patch panel and at my wall jacks in each room of my house and when I made my patch cables I punched down my RJ45 male connectors as T568-B. Should I redo my keystone jacks as T568-B or is it not worth the hassle/unnecessary? I don't want anything to be confusing for future owners or for myself and certainly don't want any speed or reliability issues. Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/weawil94
    [link] [comments]

    home network revamp advice needed

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:12 AM PST

    Hi all, looking to revamp the home network after moving back in and with five of us now working from home.

    The current setup:

    Floorplan (approx 3300sqft) - https://imgur.com/a/DINor5Q

    Currently the main router is a Netgear R7000 (red circle) which connects to a switch (green) in the attic space that feeds the rest of the network with a Netgear R8000 (yellow) acting as an AP. Additionally downstairs there is a Netgear EX7000 as signal in the dining room was poor. All of these access points have 2.4 & 5GHz networks with the same SSID & password.

    The main issue is handover between devices, my family is getting quite frustrated at needing to turn off and turn on the WiFi on phones & laptops as they move around (all desktops are hard-wired). Also there is a bit of a blackspot in the SW bedroom & store room.

    I'd also like support for VLAN's for IoT devices as we seem to have acquired quite a few smart bulbs and other bits.

    Ubiquiti is commonly mentioned and it looks like a good solution as they also do cameras with what looks like excellent night vision (Dad's main criteria). Any cameras would record to either a DiskStation or unRaid setup.

    I've currently come up with this solution using Ubiquiti products:

    1. UDM to replace R7000, can't go with anything rackmount form-factor here as it's in a bedroom. The built in nano-HD ought to be able to cover the upstairs. (£275)

    2. USW-Pro-24-POE Switch to replace the unmanaged switch in the attic space. This is almost universally recommended over the non Pro from what I've read. (£610)

    3. 3x G3-Pro cameras (£765)

    And then for access points, either

    a) 5 pack UAP-AC-IW (£375, £75/AP)

    b) x number UAP-IW-HD, these look much better than the AC-IW on paper but they are over 2x the price at ~£170/AP

    c) x number U6-LR, not currently available but can pre-order them for ~£160/AP. I've seen people recommend not to buy this and wait for WiFi 6E but as far as I can tell the benefits are mostly for congested spaces, we can see one network other than our own so I don't think it's necessary to wait.

    The in wall AP's are appealing as we have lots of ethernet wall sockets.

    I'm unsure on the number of AP's needed as 90% of the downstairs walls are double thick brick walls which we've had trouble with before, any guidance here on how many are required would be great.

    This comes to a total of around £2200 (assuming 4xAP @ £125/AP).

    So my questions are:

    1. Is the possible solution above sensible? Is having 4 AP's overkill for the space?

    2. Are there any other companies that could provide a similar/better solution at a lower cost? I've found TP-Link Omada series but need to look into it more.

    3. Ubiquiti doesn't seem to offer many 10GBE options with RJ45 connections, if there are options where going to 10GBE doesn't massively increase the budget then that'd be great as well. Though 10GBE switches do look incredibly expensive.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gadgetzombie
    [link] [comments]

    Getting Set Up on the Roof Deck

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:24 PM PST

    Goal here is to get set up on the roof deck. Here are the facts

    1. 4 story , 8 unit pre-war apartment building
    2. No mains power on roof
    3. A very small roof deck - even a single low end AP will offer plenty coverage.
    4. No old garbage shoot, decommissioned chimney, dumbwaiter, or any "nice" way to run cable
    5. Will be going with Unifi setup, which will be housed in the basement

    In my mind I have two options.

    1. The Fiber comes in from the alley, through the wall and into the basement, and...
    2. Either A) take an ethernet cord out of the switch and run it up the side of the building all the way up the brick wall to the roof deck to the a POE Wifi AP. or B) run the ethernet cable through the inside of the building up the staircase to the AP

    I want to know how you guys would do this. If go with the outside run, I am wondering if it is worth asking Verizon if they will run a cable for a fee. Also what is good safe rack to put a small unifi rig in? The basement doesnt flood or anything, but it is an old basement. About 3.5 / 10 on the gross scale

    EDIT: Image of How I think it could work https://imgur.com/pP4UblH

    submitted by /u/BrooklynCatDad
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for direction

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:27 PM PST

    I am looking for help to set up some kind of central service where I can have access from mobile to all of my files like maybe a virtual server or VPN I'm a total noob at networking and having trouble at finding where to start. I have all the capable hardware i should need.

    submitted by /u/Responsible_Hand_739
    [link] [comments]

    New Combo or Provider Modem & Own Router

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:47 PM PST

    For the past five years I have been using my own Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750 (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router Combo with Spectrum service. I have been having issues lately and feel like it's time for a newer model.

    Should I stick with another combo or use Spectrums (included) modem and just purchase a router? I could proly get a top of the line model if it's only a WiFi router. After five years I have certainly got my monies worth from this one but I could get something like a Netgear AX3000 WiFi 6 router for 1/3 of a comparable combo...

    My place is fairly small at 1100 sq ft. I am hoping the extended coverage will bleed into the courtyard a little more than now.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/rocky_p_rock
    [link] [comments]

    Need a new router

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:45 PM PST

    Need your input please. Recently upgraded the internet service to 200mbs. Cable folk say I have 244 at the modem and I test out at about 212 on a computer that's wired to the router. I have a linksys 1900 ac and have had no problems with it over the years. I am 20 feet from the router and testing at about 56mbs. My house is a two story ranch with a few kids still living here. I'm thinking my bottleneck is the router. My goal is to improve wireless speed and cover the house. I can always use the old router as an access point for the lower level. There are way too many options out there especially if you add in wifi6 and the mesh nonsense.

    What's a good easy to configure router that I can use to improve the wireless speed in this place? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/efudd6969
    [link] [comments]

    Need faster speeds for work from home employment!

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:44 PM PST

    I'm getting 1.72 Mbps download and 1.14 Mbps upload speeds. With the most of 20.14 download and 3.12 upload max at times. What can I do to get better speeds?

    submitted by /u/Puzzleheaded-Moe
    [link] [comments]

    Need help connecting ethernet at apartment

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:35 PM PST

    Need help connecting the ethernet from wall to modem. Don't know much about any networking stuff, but I think I found the other end in the closet, it's just not connect to modem.

    Looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/jaWLfxi.jpg

    Any help would be suuuper helpful!

    submitted by /u/wheatonrecurrence
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing between routers

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:34 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I have some problems with my ISP router, so I decided to invest in my own router again after a few years. The most critical problem I'm trying to eliminate is handling multiple devices - I'm learning for my degree from home, while others in the house are either streaming or light gaming. Our current router (Technicolor DGA2232) can not handle that without dropouts and slowdowns. We usually have about 16 devices connected.

    Our plan is a 1000mbps down / 100mbps up, already got a media converter. We live in a 3 bedroom apartment with the router placed in one of them. Cement walls, so reception in the kitchen isn't great but manageable (reception was pretty good with a Deco supplied by our previous ISP and multiple devices was fine - but speeds weren't good enough (we had a 100mbps down plan at the time, so it will probably won't be good enough now).

    I have a few options available now:

    TP-Link Archer C80:
    pros:

    • 3x3 MU-MIMO.
    • Good parental controls.
    • Good app and web ui.
    • Pretty good reviews.

    cons:

    • A little bit older.
    • No mesh support.
    • Bad QoS, and by device only.
    • Only single-core 1.2GHz CPU.

    TP-Link AX20 (AX21 not available where I live):

    pros:

    • Wi-Fi 6 support (future proofing only at the moment, none of our devices actually supports in currently).
    • OneMesh support.
    • WPA3.
    • Good parental controls.
    • Good app and web ui.
    • 4-cores 1.5GHz CPU.

    cons:

    • only 2x2 MU-MIMO (but says "4 streams" on the website? I really don't understand what that means than).
    • There's an AX21 out with the same specs but "better thermals", suggesting this one might hit up under heavy load, which might lead to the exact problem I'm trying to solve - however, I couldn't find any evidence of that problem online.

    TP-Link (again...) Deco M4 (2 units):

    pros:

    • Well, coverage.
    • Works well with multiple devices.
    • Better parental controls.

    cons:

    • Slower speeds compaired to the other options.
    • Not a lot of customization (to say the least).
    • Kinda big.

    I also thought about Asus AX55 but it is a little bit too pricey, as well as the Xiaomi AIot AC2350 but for it's price the specs looked too good to be true... Also the D-Link DIR-882, but it is reaching it's end of life soon + bad web ui and parental controls...

    submitted by /u/LGariv
    [link] [comments]

    Should you bridge your modem if you only use your router's network?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:34 PM PST

    I only use my routers network however my modem also disputes a network that I don't use. Should I bridge my modem so my router's network is the only one displaying or does it even matter? Any pro's/con's?

    submitted by /u/SaucyIV
    [link] [comments]

    Block Zoom Desktop Chat

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:02 PM PST

    Hey all, Not sure if this is the right place for this but has anyone had success in blocking the chat built into the zoom app? Not the chat in a meeting but the chat bundled with the application.

    My 9 year old is on it constantly and the school is being (shocker) not helpful or responsible at all.

    I've tried reaching out to zoom support but since we have a free account I only have access to the online doc and not an actual support person.

    Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

    submitted by /u/bgoldstein24
    [link] [comments]

    Port question

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:58 PM PST

    My sister has an ethernet port in her room and I do not. The wall that her ethernet port is in is the same wall as in my room. I am wondering how I can change/switch ethernet port so I can have it and she does noe considering she does not use it.

    submitted by /u/femtuspat
    [link] [comments]

    Internet Cutout Issues with TP-Link

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:54 PM PST

    So whenever I am playing games with my friends, or even sometimes by myself my internet will cut out. I was using Wi-Fi, but my home has tons of devices connected to our Wi-Fi so I thought it best to switch to a wired connection. I didn't want to route a cable through the wall so I am using a set of TP AV600 PEA to route wired internet connection to my PC. The internet speed seems to have improved when there isn't cutout issues, but I still get booted from games pretty often even with the fast internet. I have the best internet package that Xfinity has to offer so I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point other than running an ethernet cord directly to my router. Any suggestions on what might be the root cause of this?

    submitted by /u/ThatCoffeeGrind
    [link] [comments]

    Low speeds on gigabit network + UniFi

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:45 PM PST

    Evening All!

    I just setup a UniFi network in my new house. I use Xfinity as my ISP on a gigabit plan. Running UniFi's speed test feature on the app from ISP to my USG, the results are 180mpbs down and 25mbps up. It seems quite low for what I should be getting out of the plan I pay for.

    Here's the setup: - Xfinity provided modem/router set to bridge mode - USG gateway - UniFi Switch 16 PoE - Cloud Key 2 - 3 IW-HD access points - 1 nanoHD

    My WiFi speeds generally seem OK (similar to the results I'm getting from the hardwire connection). But the ISP > USG speed is really concerning.

    Is the UniFi speed test accurate? Is there a setting I should flip or something I can do for them to speak to each other better?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/avixiz
    [link] [comments]

    Specific PC on network capping download speeds

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:28 PM PST

    Recently upgraded internet speeds from 250 to 940 mbps. Everything works fine as expected, except when one and only one PC is connected to the network. (let's call it PC X).

    Once PC X boots up the other devices on the network are capped to around 305 mbps down. It seems like some sort of well defined upper limit. What's weird is there's no network degradation when this happens. Ping times remain consistently around 10 ms when pinging 1.1.1.1. The performance is great, no packet loss, but at a lower speed. As soon as PC X is disconnected from the router, by unplugging the ethernet cable from it, every other device on the network gets around 900 mbps down when doing a speed test, as advertised.

    So, everything works perfectly when PC X is off the network. And everything works well when PC X is on the network, with speeds capped to around 300 mbps.

    I've no idea how this can be. Some weird interaction between the PC and router? I've verified there are no active downloads on PC X by checking task manager and verifying no network activity. I've done virus scans which turn up nothing.

    This is easily the most puzzling networking related issue I've ever come across. My next step would be to buy a new router, but my current router works fine as long as PC X is not connected to it. Any help would be super appreciated!

    submitted by /u/realinternet
    [link] [comments]

    trying to route video/streaming traffic through specific WAN port on TP-R600VPN router.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:49 PM PST

    I have three WAN ports on our network. We'd like to route video/streaming traffic though a specific port. This would be amazon/hulu/netflix traffic. I've been reading up on setting up a policy, but am completely lost. I thought this would be fairly easy, but I am finding it more difficult than I thought.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/thorndike
    [link] [comments]

    Home network - Router and AP.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:47 PM PST

    Hi, I have some doubts about networking hardware I should buy.

    My requirements:

    • up to $270
    • for years and different places (I'm currently renting an apartment)
    • VPN support (openvpn, pptp, s2s, l2tp, ipsec)
    • small firewall
    • LAN (1 PC and virtual machines) and WiFi (2 laptops, 2 phones)
    • POE for AP

    I need an access from outside through VPN and after connecting, with access to SSH or RDP (virtual machines, docker containers on my PC) for me and sometimes for users (labs).

    What have I found?

    • Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP
    • Ubiquiti UAP-nanoHD

    Will they cooperate properly? Is Ubiquiti UAP-nanoHD and Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP adequate for my needs? There are also Ubiquiti UAP AC Lite or Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Pro which are cheaper. And router doesn't have to be Ubiquiti.

    submitted by /u/ejzur
    [link] [comments]

    Just opened up cable box after moving into our new house. It’s a mess. We have no cable TV, no satellite, just a modem and router, please help me figure out how to get it down to one wire going in the house. Which one??

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:43 PM PST

    Pic in link! Thanks in advance. I think they used to have satellite previously and I feel like this many splitters is bad? Cable Box

    submitted by /u/SPerk15
    [link] [comments]

    Enterprise Question

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:38 PM PST

    I'm curious if anyone can show or explain the admin portal behind something like hotel wifi

    Like I stay in Hilton hotels all the time, they have a captive portal that I use my rewards login to sign in, it knows I'm on an active reservation and it knows I'm a particular "status." Otherwise it has pay-to-play or coupon code sign on.

    It says "provided by ATT" but what kind of backend management do they use on these kinds of systems? It seems complex, and I'm impressed it works 98% of the hotels I'm at. I'm just curious as a lame homenetworker to see what the professionals are doing behind these scenes?

    submitted by /u/tkst3llar
    [link] [comments]

    Full TP-Link Configuration With The Omada SDN Controller

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:30 PM PST

    Full TP-Link Configuration With The Omada SDN Controller

    This is showing off tp-link products that are managed by the SDN Omada controller. Its a walkthrough of how to setup networks, wifi network and firewall rules

    https://youtu.be/7i17jvrIjD0

    submitted by /u/mactelecomnetworks
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with Orbi / Netgear Switch

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:13 PM PST

    I bought a netgear switch and I have a spectrum modem and orbi.. I hooked it up today and maybe I did something wrong?

    This is how I wired it-

    Modem (Spectrum) -

    ETHERNET port of Modem to Orbi,

    Orbi Ethernet to Switch

    I'm probably so wrong can someone tell me how to fix it asap

    submitted by /u/SullySymmes
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel