• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, January 9, 2021

    Home Networking A fix for iPhone Wifi Calling cutting out when you have multiple APs: 802.11kv

    Home Networking A fix for iPhone Wifi Calling cutting out when you have multiple APs: 802.11kv


    A fix for iPhone Wifi Calling cutting out when you have multiple APs: 802.11kv

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:48 AM PST

    I had been having problems with iPhone WiFi Calling after installing multiple APs. Wifi calls would cut out and disconnect when I moved about the house. I figured it must be due to disconnecting & connecting to different APs as it only happened going between the floors the APs were installed. Other apps - like Facetime, Zoom etc, had no such problem.

    Long story short, enabling the 802.11 k and v "fast roaming" features on the omada controller for my EAPs fixed the issue. I guess Wifi Calling must be much more sensitive to disconnect times than other apps.

    Hope this is helpful information!

    submitted by /u/billy_tables
    [link] [comments]

    My Experience with MoCA and goCoax WF-803M

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 12:59 PM PST

    I just thought I'd pass along my experience. My house is wired to the hilt with ethernet and coax already. However, I have one location in the finished basement where it would be incredibly difficult and invasive to get a ethernet drop to. But, this particular location does have a coax drop so I decided to give MoCA a try and I went with the goCoax WF-803M units.

    The drop has a 25' run of unknown quality RG59 in which I do have access to the other end. I put a compression fitting on the exposed end and extended its length by another 15' with Belden 7916A RG6 to get the run over to my network rack and patch panel. I then connected up the goCoax units with custom made coax patch cables.

    The units synced up within 30 seconds. I began testing the link with iperf from my laptop to my Synology NAS running Docker with iperf. Here are my results.

    iperf3 -c <ip>

    345 mpbs

    Here I'm just doing the default iperf thing. The result isn't unexpected. MoCA adds some latency (4ms) that causes iperf's default TCP handling to max out in the 300's.

    iperf3 -c <ip> -u -b 1G -l 32K -R

    960 mbps

    Here I tell iperf to send a 1G UDP stream with a 32K buffer in the reverse direction. I want the other end to send and my laptop to receive so that I can be confident that the speed iperf reports truly represents the MoCA bandwidth. Obviously I get great results which proves these goCoax units are killing it.

    iperf3 -c <ip> -P 5

    930 mbps

    Here I tell iperf to use TCP but with 5 parallel streams so that the added MoCA latency does not limit the results. Obviously I'm seeing great results with this test.

    And when I look at the goCoax status page I see that the units are linked up at the max PHY rate 3656. I am very satisfied and even impressed with the cost and performance of these units. I realize a 40' run of coax isn't terribly long, but the majority of that run is RG59 (probably low quality). I was actually expecting the goCoax units to sync up lower than the max rate here.

    I have not had enough time to evaluate the reliability and stability of the units, but at this point I do highly recommend these units as solution for bridging ethernet over coax. And I can obviously confirm that there is no reason that these units cannot work over RG59.

    u/goCoax if you have any other recommendations for iperf commands to run to validate throughput please chime in.

    submitted by /u/bdginmo
    [link] [comments]

    Network Upgrade Confusion (Unifi Dream Machine Pro)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:36 PM PST

    Hi Everyone, I was thinking of upgrading my network using a Unifi Dream Machine Pro, it looks like a great option but people were talking about it only having a 1G backplane even though it has 8 gigabit ports. It seems people are saying to connect it to a more "real switch", that I assume has a 10G (or something higher?) backplane and x number of gigabit switches.

    What is the benefit of getting the more 'real' switch if my internet connection from the isp is only 1G. Does having the 10G backplane make just the communication within my network faster, I figured a home network wouldnt have much chatter between the devices? Or is there something im missing? Sorry if this makes no sense, please correct me!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BrandonKarl
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend me some HDDs for my NAS!

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:03 PM PST

    Hello everybody!

    I just got my RS2818RP+ NAS working, but it appears I have ordered the wrong type of drives for it ...

    (I bought drives that have the wrong protocol, not SATA!)

    Since I am a complete noob when it comes to selecting things like harddrives, I am asking all of you!

    Here are the things that I need:

    • 3,5 inch form-factor
    • SATA

    About the "size" or "capacity": The bigger the better! (That's what she said ... )
    About cost: Price isn't an issue, I will spend as much as it takes for something "good"
    About "reliability" / "longevity": That is the most important thing to me! I don't want to replace the drives after a couple of years ...

    So, let me know here if you know about any "recommendable" HDDs ...

    submitted by /u/HyperbaricEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    How to terminate ethernet cable with only 0.5" inch of space in wall?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:33 PM PST

    I am setting up a new ethernet cat6 shielded cable run in my house. I have several runs that are on exterior walls that only give me 0.5 inches of space between the block and the wall jack.

    What is the best method of terminating the cable? Are there low profile keystone jacks or angled wall jacks?

    submitted by /u/bsdude010
    [link] [comments]

    I have a question about a wired router setup.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 01:52 PM PST

    About 6 months ago someone recommended that I purchase a wired router and buy a dedicated TP Link AP for my home instead on buying a all in one solution.

    Right now I'm in a 1 year contract with Cox Communications for 500 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. I currently using their panderamic wifi modem and I completely hate the thing. I got a Netgear 3.1 modem on order.

    I'm the only person using the network and I only got the 500 Mbos plan because it was cheaper than the 150Mbps plan at the time I renewed my contract.

    My question is what would be a good router to look at/ purchase or should I go with a all in one product like the TP Link Archer AX6000?

    submitted by /u/Mad-Baron93
    [link] [comments]

    Any suggestions for a network switch with port mirror that doesn't cost too much

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:49 PM PST

    I'm looking for a managed switch that won't break the bank. I'm really only interested in port mirroring for networking monitoring solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/TechDumbie
    [link] [comments]

    Constant jitter and packet loss, Cox Cable

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:40 PM PST

    I've had constant issues at a new house we've been living in for 4 months. It was worst when we first moved in but now its back mildly. The majority of the day, there are no issues. But throughout the day, randomly, I will see spikes in jitter and sometimes 2-10% packet loss for about 3-5 minutes, sometimes as long as 10 minutes. This doesn't always affect streaming due to buffering but it does make online games unplayable and my kid's live video for school choppy. I've had 4 technicians out to the house and because the issue is sporadic, its difficult to have any of them see what is happening.

    This screenshot shows when its mild. But as you can see from this one it can get worse.

    I was told by the last technician that I am at the end of the line on the dual node that is in our neighborhood. I'm sure that has something to do with it but I don't know why it would be sporadic and random times throughout the day. Any advice before I call them back would help. I know it's not my equipment because it's done it on 2 different routers and 2 different modems. And all devices are affected, even wifi, not just my wired PC.

    submitted by /u/ffaorlandu
    [link] [comments]

    Slow Internet upload speeds on 10Gbe

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 12:08 PM PST

    I am having an odd issue with one of my desktops (windows 10) with a Aquantia AQtion 10G Pro NIC connected to a 10Gbe Mikrotik Switch (CRS305-1G-4S+IN) with a 30 foot Cat 6A cable.. It can upload and download to my NAS in excess of 400MB/s, but internet speeds cap out at 10-15Mbps Upload on my connection which tests at least 60 on any other device. Download speeds are not affected.

    Here is what I have tried.

    *Forcing a connection speed of 2.5G resolves the issue with speeds of 990/~50

    *Switching to a 1Gbe NIC on my desktop while still connected to the 10Gbe switch resolves upload speeds, but then download speeds cap at 20Mbps.

    *Switching over to both a 1Gbe NIC and a 1Gbe Switch on the same cable resolves the internet speed issue, while limiting me to 1Gbe of course. Speedtests are 945Mbps/65Mbps

    *Using the 10Gbe NIC while connected to the 1Gbe Switch returns mostly normal results. Slightly slower down speeds in the 400-700 range and ~50Mbps upload

    *Swapping 10Gbe cards with another device's did not resolve the issue, or cause the issue to follow the NIC

    *Swapping out the 10Gbe switch with another of the same model had no effect

    *Multiple different Aquantia drivers, ranging from latest to a year old

    *Issue is present even booted into Linux.

    submitted by /u/BalingWire
    [link] [comments]

    Need a bit of help

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:38 PM PST

    Lately, I have been running into an issue with the ethernet specifically to my home PC. I have made sure it is not the cable and have tried it on multiple devices. It seems to happen specifically when someone is trying to connect to my PC through LAN or if the computer is hosting a server of any kind. It drops ethernet and will pick up on a wireless adapter that I picked up as a small bandage for the issue.

    submitted by /u/CaffeinatedBevs
    [link] [comments]

    Question about secure connection over internet

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:34 PM PST

    So I am moving and because it is so far and to a apartment I am leaving a lot of the stuff I have at home.

    I have a unifi USG.

    Would it be possible to create a secure connection between the house and new apartment? What are my options?

    Edit: For example buying another USG?

    submitted by /u/AJ6291948PJ66
    [link] [comments]

    Cant connect to server connected to modem using computer connected to router

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:21 PM PST

    Sorry for the awful title.

    Hi guys I dont know what to do here. I have a modem in my basement, and it has a router and a server connected to it. I cant access my server because its not connected to the router that the rest of my house is on. The server is saying that its IP is 172.17.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 but neither of those IPs can be reached from my computer that is on my router. Even googling this question brings up nothing; probably because I dont know how to word it. Also, is my server vulnerable if its being direclty connected to my modem instead of a router?

    submitted by /u/-yphen
    [link] [comments]

    QoS on switch?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:19 PM PST

    I have QoS running on my pfsense box. It helps a ton with bufferbloat. I have Managed switches all along my network. Should I run QoS on them as well or only on pfsense? Does increase local performance or cause extra overhead for pfsense to sort through

    submitted by /u/Dovahguy
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get Ethernet to my tv in my apartment?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:29 PM PST

    I have 200mbps internet and regularly get that on my phone wifi and Ethernet on my computer. On my TV it's 1450kbps up to 5mbps.

    This obviously presents issues for streaming content with buffering and the like.

    What's the best options for getting better wifi or Ethernet to my tv?

    For reference here is a picture of my actual apartment layout. The X is obviously my router with a line drawn of the easiest path to my TV. The length of this line is ~75'.

    submitted by /u/Cien_fuegos
    [link] [comments]

    [HELP] Unable to connect with specific friend to play

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:03 PM PST

    Hi everyone!

    For the last months I've been facing issues connecting with a specific friend to play video games. The last games we tried are Torchlight 2 from the Epic store and Tabletop Simulator from Steam.

    I can connect on torchlight with all my friends, but this specific friend can't connect to the room when I'm in, and vice versa.

    We can play any game on Tabletop Simulator (TTS), but we'll always have a 999 ping between ourselves, and we live nearby, like 3 km apart so since TTS uses peer-to-peer connections, our ping is affected by distance and stuff. Everyone else has around 60 ms from each other and each with both of us, the only problem is between us.

    We used to play together on November and we didn't have any of these problems before. We tried everything already and can't find a solution to our problems anywhere on internet, so I'll really appreciate some suggestions.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Lian16
    [link] [comments]

    Latency and packet loss issues on internet

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:16 PM PST

    I've been experiencing some internet troubles lately and will like to know the root of the problem and possibly how to fix it.

    • I upgraded my internet store thinking that was the problem but still the issue persists. I have a consistent 50-65mbps download and 4mbps up. 0-1% packet loss. (It sometimes fluctuates to way below 10mbps and 10% loss)

    • BUT my latency is the real issue I think. It always above 150ms and fluctuates way above that

    I've tried changing my dns settings, moving my router, almost no devices connected to the wifi and still have the same problem. ANY ADVICE??

    submitted by /u/VicLNP
    [link] [comments]

    How Can I Limit Upload Speeds?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:14 PM PST

    I'm trying to stop crazy bufferbloat with the Centurylink C4000LG.

    I saw that my Bufferbloat spikes to stupidly high numbers when my upload speed gets maxed out (3.00 megabit/s) So I was wondering if anyone knows how to work the QoS for Centurylink C4000LG to solve Upstream bufferbloat (Reducing upload speeds to anything under 3 megabits/s)

    submitted by /u/SilverYT_
    [link] [comments]

    2.5gbit network worth it?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:58 PM PST

    ive recently decided to redo my home network its basic as can be, i use plex for 4 people locally and i plan to add on a 2bay nas and it has 2.5gbit ports on it so i decided to look into building my local networking to 2.5gb on all my machines because i plan to use the dedicated nas as a steam drive due to us having slow internet and i hate having to delete games and redownload them, so would it be worth it?

    submitted by /u/Nimue0001
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Reduced network speeds when using unmanaged switch? Am I doing something wrong?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    I have a 300/300 connection when connected from my Router directly into my desktop.

    However when going through a tp-link switch (TL-SG105), my speeds drop down to roughly 100/100 (or less). It is to my understanding that each port on the switch supports gigabit speeds so why the drastic speed loss?

    I have no either devices on the switch so it's simply router -> switch -> desktop

    • I've turned off a few power-related settings in the NIC settings, and speed is set to auto-negotiate
    submitted by /u/DFisBUSY
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Address change

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:39 PM PST

    Hello,

    I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to change my Mac Address. I was recently banned from the Gamestop website and I found out it was my Mac Address banned because VPN still doesn't allow me on so I know it isn't an IP ban, and connecting directly into my Arris Modem or LTE on my phone works fine.

    I'm using a Arris Surfboard as my modem, and I'm using a Deco M5 mesh system as my Router. It seems as though they banned the Deco Mac Address which is what my computer is direct connected into.

    I have an option to "Mac Clone" in my Deco app options, but it asks me to enter a custom mac address if I select that. Does anyone know any way to change the MAC address? I read someone say a 24 hour disconnection of my Deco could change it.

    And if you're wondering why I was banned, it was for refreshing too much trying to purchase something for my son on release...

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/_Cryptonite_
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware recommendations for home cat6 run

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:38 PM PST

    I am planning to run CAT6 through existing cat 3 conduits and a few new outlets (I made a post earlier about it and it clarified certain questions, its good to go now)

    Looking for recommendations for good switches, routers and access points (PoE preferred). I have 10 Ethernet ports and would prefer to use PoE APs on 4 of them (preferrably wall or ceiling mountable)

    Currently I have 250 mbit but going Gigabit is in the horizon once they launch in our area.

    Also, I'm a bit price conscious here. Local pricing would be 100x USD after taxes.

    submitted by /u/agathver
    [link] [comments]

    Rack mounting in an unusual position

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 02:21 PM PST

    I recently bought a house and wanted to make the networking backbone of the place rock solid. So I got a Cisco Catalyst 3560G refurbished 24 port poe capable switch (which is a beast btw) then an Ubiquiti Er-4 and a 16 port patch panel. I have all this in a 4 unit rack.

    Now the problem. The little room where I want it is too small to fit it upright, so I thought of fitting the rack front side down. This means the ports will be facing downward and it will be overhead, mounted to the ceiling with bolts to the concrete ceiling.

    My questions would be, is it safe to mount the rack to the ceiling and are there tips or common practices to this? Also, is mounting rack equipment like this safe? It's not designed to be fitted like this, but the tension on the rack fittings would be as much as normal use, if not less I would say.

    Tips are very welcome!

    submitted by /u/Crush-Raider
    [link] [comments]

    Wi-Fi Adapter

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:00 PM PST

    I'm moving a desktop pc which was near an ethernet port to another location that doesn't have an ethernet port. It doesn't have built in Wi-Fi so I'm looking to buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter. Since the computer is old, I'm not too worried about internet speeds higher than approx. 300 Mbps since I don't think the computer hardware can handle it anyway. But, the computer will be in a room corner much farther from the router so I need the adapter to have a long range. My new laptop can pick up a strong signal from that location easily...so maybe I don't need to worry about range too much?

    After looking at a few reviews and articles, I was looking into these adapters:

    Linksys Wireless AC USB Adapter (WUSB6300-CA) | Best Buy Canada

    TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC AC600Mbps Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop with 2.4GHz/5GHz High Gain Dual Band 5dBi Antenna, Supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP, Mac OS 10.9-10.14 (Archer T2U Plus): Amazon.ca: Electronics

    TP-Link Archer T4U AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5Ghz 867Mbps, USB 3.0, One-Button Setup, Support Windows XP/7/8/8.1, Plug and play, Archer T4U: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

    What should I look for in a Wi-Fi adapter (i.e. do I need to worry about "dBi"?) and would the above all work for me?

    submitted by /u/Jaguar_IC
    [link] [comments]

    Most secure way to create easily accessible drive/folder from local NAS to Computer? Ftps/WebDAV/mounting a folder or something else?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:57 PM PST

    Have a NAS, don't want to use 3rd party pack up software, just want to drop and drag as I see fit. Want to be also up and easily accessible, but secure from other devices seeing the connection or seeing what's being transferred.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Randomhero360
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel