• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    Home Networking Anyone successful in removing/replacing the AT&T fiber router to end their rental fee?

    Home Networking Anyone successful in removing/replacing the AT&T fiber router to end their rental fee?


    Anyone successful in removing/replacing the AT&T fiber router to end their rental fee?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 10:06 AM PST

    Home Setup

    • AT&T ONT installed inside house
    • [Currently] AT&T installed BGW210-700 router next to ONT
    • NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 installed by me to act as home wifi/ethernet network backbone

    Since it is now legal to replace rental equipment with your own in the US [See: US Law], has anyone done so? I see where some people have removed the need for the router using their own switch [Reddit Link]. But has anyone bought a replacement router and successfully switched to it from the AT&T rental one?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/1970s_MonkeyKing
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get a new router or a wifi mesh networking kit?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:33 PM PST

    Hey so I currently live in a ~3,500 sq. ft house and I decided that I don't want to rent my router/modem from my ISP anymore.

    I have already picked up the new modem, I'm just not sure if I should pick up a router or opt for a wifi mesh networking kit. Wondering if you guys could help me decide and possibly give me recommendations/point me in the right direction.

    Some info:

    • I have 400 Mbps plan (might upgrade to gigabit in the next few years? idk - correct me if I'm wrong but I'd have to get a different modem if I do)
    • I'm not able to put the router in a "central" location in the house. It's in the corner of the main floor of the house.
    • Connection on the main floor is pretty good, the issue is upstairs in the far corners of the farther bedrooms that have weak connection/connection issues. Similar problems downstairs in the basement. Though this isn't a major issue as the majority of our internet usage is on the main floor, but it would be a nice-to-have to have this fixed.
    • I do not have the option of running ethernet cables throughout the house.
    • Roughly 10 devices connected wirelessly, 2-3 times that when guests are over. 2 devices connected through wired.
    • I'd prefer it if I did not have to spend more than $160 USD

    Current products I'm looking at:

    Routers:

    Wifi Mesh Networking Kits:

    Is it worth even considering wifi mesh networking kits at this price point?

    As you might be able to tell I'm a novice at this sort of thing so any help would be appreciated!

    ~Cheers

    submitted by /u/TrynaBeFitGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Samba networking help again

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:10 PM PST

    Good evening all,

    I have been working hard trying to figure out how to set up a samba share on my home network. I have a few computers with a good mix of Windows, Linux Mint, Chromebooks, and a Rasp Pi. I'm making steady progress but its been a grind for this noob.

    I set up my Raspi as a sort-of makeshift NAS with an external USB drive and have Samba installed and up and running. The whole thing is working good actually. I followed Learn Linux TV's Simple Samba Shares procedure on Youtube which creates 1. Public shared files, and 2. Private shared files. From my Linux Mint computer, I can browse to the public folder on the Pi, create files, delete files, etc. Perfect. When I browse to the private folder, I can't do anything. I know that's what should happen but how do I actually get files on the private directory?

    Like I said, it's working as advertised but for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually add files to the private shared files. These would be files that are visible to the network but can't be modified.

    When I log into my Raspi and try to add files to the private shares directory, I get "permission denied" every which way. I'm sure this is something dumb and everyone will call me a noob but I can't figure it out on my own so far. I can post my smb.conf here if required. Thanks all!

    Link to the wiki page for Learn Linux TV's samba set up that I followed: https://wiki.learnlinux.tv/index.php/Setting_up_Simple_Samba_File_Shares

    submitted by /u/ourkid2000
    [link] [comments]

    Are any of the sub $200 AX routers worth buying?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:27 PM PST

    I have been having issues with my current router, ASUS Blue Cave, and am looking to move to something I wont have firmware issues/random connectivity issues with while gaming and such. I have been looking at the AX routers that are out there now, but don't know much in the way of common issues with them or if there are any stinkers to avoid. Any advice would be helpful.

    Also will say I'm not sure if my exact square footage, probably between 1500-2000, but my current router covers more than what i need as far as space, it has some other issues tho.

    submitted by /u/the2armedmen
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions to improve my WIFI speed

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:23 PM PST

    So I've got a 300/300 Fibre Internet plan in British Columbia (with Telus if anyone's familiar with their hardware) but I feel my home WiFi speeds could be better (I get around 150 Mbps).

    Some info:

    • My Internet provider allows me to use the modem/router and a range booster for free.
    • The place where I'm staying is 3 floors, the ISP-provided modem/router being in the garage.
    • Fortunately, the house is relatively new so it's all wired up --Ethernet in all floors, with sockets in every room and floor.
    • I don't want to modify the house, meaning no drilling, hanging, etc.

    I'm a software developer by day so I'm somewhat tech savvy but at the same time I'm no networking expert by all means. Plus, to be honest, I just want something that works when my work ends --not sure I want to spend too much time configuring stuff, etc.

    All that said, from my personal research (including some past Reddit posts), I'm still a bit overwhelmed with all the options but I think the best approach would be some sort of AP (something like Amplifi HD maybe?). I'm currently thinking I want to use the ISP-provided modem/router just to feed the Interweb juices to the whole house, making the booster probably redundant.

    Do you guys agree? Any other general recommendation?

    submitted by /u/noisyfarts
    [link] [comments]

    Bought Wifi extender, Removed From Amazon Once Setup

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Im in a panic. I bought a wifi extender from amazon, set it up this afternoon and then noticed that the listing was removed from amazon later tonight. I'm freaking out that my information was stolen. I removed it from the wall, changed all my passwords etc but I dont cant seem to change my public IP with Spectrum. I need peace of mind or some way to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    This was it on walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/SEWOT-Superboost-WiFi-Range-Extender-Signal-Booster-Home-extra-Ethernet-LAN-Port-Long-Coverage-Wireless-Internet-Amplifier-Covers-15-Devices-2-All-Ne/321464195

    submitted by /u/Eggfertz
    [link] [comments]

    IDK what to do with previous home owners network setup (image)

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:00 PM PST

    My family currently just has our router connected to a random place in the house by coaxial cable. I really don't know anything about networking but I think this must have been the center of the previous owner's network: https://imgur.com/a/udFT1RD

    I want to get an unifi AP bc our house is very long and wifi doesn't reach every room nicely. Does anyone know what to do with this setup? Please tell me it's as simple as plugging in our existing router/modem into one of the cables in the pictures and then that makes all Ethernet cables in the house accessible!!

    submitted by /u/stsnayj25
    [link] [comments]

    Deco m4 cant connect most games

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:46 PM PST

    Hi, so im using a wifi extender call deco m4 and when i play games most games cant connect, everytime i open a game it says i appear offline. Like Star wars battlefront 2, rocket league. But when i use my old wifi it can online. Pls fix ( sorry bad english)

    submitted by /u/darktage
    [link] [comments]

    I need a new gigabit router as r7000 is shot. Should I get wifi 5 since its assumable that all the kinks are worked out? or wifi 6 since its newer?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:43 PM PST

    I hear the qualityt of wifi 6 can be kind of crappy since its a new firmware, and I also know wifi 6e is coming so most people who dont need to upgrade right away are waiting for that, but my router keeps losing its connection on me, and everyone from my previous thread asking how to fix it are saying its now time to just buy a new router

    Should I get the ironed out wifi 5, the new wifi 6 or limp until wifi 6e comes out?

    Any recommendations for a solid gigabit internet if your answer is wifi 5 or 6? There are two people in this house that game a lot with console / PC

    submitted by /u/TK503
    [link] [comments]

    How do I extend the internet to my basement?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:38 PM PST

    Hi all,

    So I have limited experience and knowledge in this field but obviously not enough to make the connections needed for this to work. (Pun intended)

    So I have Century Link DSL internet. It's rather shitty but it's my best option as Comcast here has a data cap that I quickly exceed. This is the layout of my house.

    One phone line RJ11 wall port upstairs (phone), three of them on the main level (1 hooked up to a home phone, 1 hooked up to a printer/fax machine, and 1 hooked up to the DSL port on my home router.

    Then one more phone line rj11 wall port in the basement (formerly used for phone)

    I've always just made due with the wifi but now that I am living in the basement I would like to get a decent connection for gaming/streaming. I know wifi extenders exist but I want better than that seeing as my speeds are crap as is.

    Anyways - I know that I could get a 100' Cat6 cable and run it from my router down to the basement but I don't have any way to feed it through my walls like that and I want it to look clean.

    So my basic question is -

    How do I get internet access from the phone line port in the basement? I've pulled the baseplate off. And there is actually 8 wires which I wasn't expecting but the colors do not exactly match the Cat 5e/6 color codes.

    Wire colors from the wall are as follows: Black White Red Green Blue Yellow Orange Orange/White striped** (no brown?) |

    Can I just wire up a Cat 5e/6 Wall plate there and then run an ethernet cable from there directly to my system bypassing the router?

    Or do I need to hook up a secondary router's DSL port to the existing phone line wall port with a phone cable and then go to cat6 from that router to my systems?

    Thanks for helping! And apologies for any redundancies haha I actually didn't realize how close the color codes were until typing this out.

    Eta: I'm realizing I could theoretically move my router to the basement? But my question(s) remain nonetheless. Could a secondary router be used in the basement as a network extender itself?

    submitted by /u/AccuratePruning
    [link] [comments]

    Honor Router 3

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:20 PM PST

    Looking at getting the Router 3 since its cheap and supports Wifi 6. Does anyone own one that can give a review of it? Seems like every review on youtube is a bit off and doesn't go into enough detail for me. The gsmarena review seems good and I tend to trust them.

    Link to the gsmarena review https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_router_3_review-news-44727.php

    submitted by /u/madieboy
    [link] [comments]

    My PC has a weak wifi signal strength while my laptop and phones are fine

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:14 PM PST

    So I have a second hand gaming PC with an inbuilt WiFi adapter. I noticed I was getting a weak signal, so I purchased an ASUS PCE-AC56 network adapter with antennas. However I only seem to be just getting 1 bar of wifi signal. Meanwhile my laptop and phones are getting full bars. Is there any solution to this? Did I just buy a lemon of a network adapter? Please help!

    submitted by /u/captain_jazz
    [link] [comments]

    Networking

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 08:00 PM PST

    What are some of the best books or videos etc to learn about networking more efficiently?

    submitted by /u/Dwall7
    [link] [comments]

    Clearance from water pipe for network rack

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:52 PM PST

    I know each area has their own regulations (I live in Mass) and I'm going to try to ask an electrician friend of mine tomorrow, but figured I'd ask here too. I tore down our very old tool rack in the basement and I'm in the process of putting up a new metal Wall Control on on top of a 4x6 sheet of plywood. With the extra 2' of plywood I was planning on putting up a 4U wall joint rack (CAT5e patch panel, switch, router, etc.). But I didn't even think of it until tonight, but there's a metal pipe (going to outdoor garden hose) 7.5" to the right and 3" above the edge of where the edge of the 4u rack would be. I could put it on the other end of the plywood, but I'm concerned about walking clearance between the rack and furnace (which would be 4').

    submitted by /u/Feeling-Stage
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble with terminating cat6

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:52 PM PST

    I've practiced and practiced and have a cable tester and I cannot seem to get the connections right. I've followed youtube videos and not sure what I'm doing wrong. None of the cables I make work. The pass-through crimping tool seemed easier so I got one of those too, to no avail. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/urban_mystic_hippie
    [link] [comments]

    Coax Help, Crappy Builder?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:36 PM PST

    So, just moved into a new build "smart" home today and wanted some advice. The main rooms in the house are wired with coax and RJ45 in a single plate. All of the coax cable (about 12 lines) are running directly out of the wall and not neatly tied away in a junction box. My previous home had all the coax in a MoCA splitter. Is it normal for a new home to have a disorganized mess?

    I'm probably an idiot for not giving it enough attention in the buying process, but I have some leverage over the builder to get it right. I appreciate any insight!

    submitted by /u/gatorinthedistric
    [link] [comments]

    Internet speed limited when using multiple routers, but full speed from modem

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:39 PM PST

    I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight on this issue.

    I currently pay for Gigabit Fiber and all of a sudden my internet speed has collapsed from 950mbps on a speed test down to what seems to be a limitation of 100mbps. Everything is hard wired in this setup.

    When I connect directly to the modem, I get the full 950+, but when I connect to any router (I have tried 3) it drops to 100mbps. I have tried different ethernet cables and none of them change anything.

    Is there some setting on my modem that would be doing this? My troubleshooting always comes back to the connection between the modem and the routers, but since multiple routers all exhibit the same behavior, I end up thinking it's the modem. However, full speed direct from the modem has me confused.

    I've gone over this with the ISP and they couldn't fix it and are sending a tech, but I don't want to wait over a week for one. I would like to try and solve it on my own.

    submitted by /u/PCDJ
    [link] [comments]

    How can I block certain YouTube channels from being accessed through my WiFi?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:15 PM PST

    Need Opinions for Home Network Setup

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:14 PM PST

    I have a 40 ft x 50 ft 2 level house (ground floor & basement) all wood construction and approx 2000 sq ft per level. We have 1 gig down and 50 up provided by Mediacom. Real speeds day to day fluctuate between 200/20 and 800/50.
    Its a rural area so we have no outside wifi interference. https://imgur.com/a/ODgPNa5
    Internally I have the Mediacom supplied modem (Samsung GX-MC990CL) connected to a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000. We have usually 30-40 wireless clients connected at a given time. Around 10 of which are 2.4 ghz smart home devices light switches or outlets. The rest are mobile devices, tv streamers, game consoles, etc.
    I am running into issues with intermittent bandwidth congestion/dropouts/slow downs. The smart switches will occasionally lose connection and pick it back up but all the other devices never seem to drop the wifi connection, they just seem to go into "slow mode" for a few moments....or take a lot longer than they should connecting to a site or starting a video. At those times if I hop on a quick Speedtest.net test my connection is always between those previously stated speeds. Ping is always under 50ms.
    I'm not real sure what is causing my issues but it feels like it's internal to the network.
    With the number of clients or the size if I need to go up to something more robust or distributed that's fine but I just don't know what to do so hopefully someone here can provide guidance.

    submitted by /u/joshhoppe
    [link] [comments]

    Does the Arris Surfboard SB6141 support spoofing its own MAC address?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:14 PM PST

    I want to follow these instructions so I can stop using my ATT modem. I don't see any way to configure any settings at all on this thing, actually...

    submitted by /u/ThePantsThief
    [link] [comments]

    I have an Asus AC68U, everything runs fine, except slow OpenVPN. How can I improve it?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 07:06 PM PST

    I know OpenVPN needs a lot of computing power, and 20~40mbps is the best it can get for Asus AC68U.

    Since I might upgrade my Internet to 1g/600mbps recently, I also want to upgrade the speed of my VPN speed for home router.

    What router should I buy to get the best OpenVPN speed that is not too hard to use?

    (Since routers usually don't label OvpnVPN speed in the spec, I have to ask.)

    Or, if there is any work around to do this, like buying a cheapest pi4 and which doing all the computing job?

    But it only has one ethernet port, I can't think of how does it work.

    Any suggestion is welcome, I don't want to spend too much money on this if that is possible. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/s951736
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a paid subscription to manage Netgear Insight?? Need advice.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 03:18 PM PST

    I just bought a WAX610 to accompany my Nighthawk router thinking it would be seamless integration--Nope! Need a separate app just to handle it. Whatever.

    After setting this up, I see a message saying that I need a subscription to manage this on the Insight app. What the hell? I need a paid subscription to manage my own hardware? Why do I need to make online accounts to interact with my own private network to begin with? This makes no sense.

    Can I manage this thing without a subscription? I'm hating Netgear's software and it feels like with all these accounts and what not, they're just adding security holes. Should I return the access point? Any recommendations?

    Side note: Even the Nighthawk app is stupid as hell. As someone that's familiar with network administration, I don't want to use an app to set up my router. I'm beyond the return date for this router, but I can still return this stupid access point.

    submitted by /u/iBlowAtCoding
    [link] [comments]

    Who wants to help me pick out new hardware??? Probably not many but maybe someone can point me in the right direction...all ideas r welcome

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 06:34 PM PST

    New to the group thanks for the add please for give the long post, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible Here's my question...I'm setting up a home network w 10 hard lines +5 for cameras...I'm looking for help finding the right equipment for my needs Here's the set up...I've got 2 lines ran in each room besides bathrooms and kitchen...I will be adding a synology nas (looking at the ds1520+ or maybe a rack mount) that I'd like to be able to use port aggregation with...I'm thinking of using an amcrest nvr system for cameras...I've looked pretty heavily into the ubiquiti Udm pro but w recent data break as well as all the bugs I've seen w updates and such I'm looking for alternative options...I've also read ppl having trouble adding a vpn service to it wich is something Id like to MAYBE do in the near future...the Udm pro also has features like their unifi protect Wich I won't use...so instead I'm looking at a dedicated fire wall and separate router...I really like the ubiquiti aps but I'm not dead set on anything...I will have full gig fibernet ( if att works right in my new area) so I'd like to have security features but won't eat up all my speed...I'm new to networking and this is meant to be a hands on learning experience but I'm very savy w computers any advice or recommendations would be awesome feel free to pm me, just let me know.

    submitted by /u/LatErAluSe86
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop preferring IPv4 over IPv6

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 02:43 PM PST

    I have recently upgraded to a Ubiquiti setup and just got my IPv6 address to add to my lan. On wifi when I go to http://ds.testmyipv6.com/ it prefers IPv6, and when I'm on my desktop it will prefer IPv4. I can access IPv6 only tests just fine, but something about the dual stack test doesn't allow it. I hooked up my Xbox One X hardwired and was able to get a IPv6 and IPv4 ip address as well. I have searched all over the internet to try and find a solution and I'm lost for ideas.

    submitted by /u/colep22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel