• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020

    Server gets put in timeout. Tech Support

    Server gets put in timeout. Tech Support


    Server gets put in timeout.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:01 PM PST

    Short and slightly humorous story from just now. I work for a local office of a big point-of-sale company, supporting restaurants and bars with their POS systems. Manager from a local joint calls in, one of the servers had accidentally deleted one of the payments from a split check and they needed to recover the card number to close out the check. I'm Me, MOD is the manager, and Lauren is the server [name changed]. I'm on the phone with MOD directly, but Lauren is present.

    Me - That's fine sir, it happens, we just need to see if your company has granted you access to recover those numbers or if I need to. proceeds to walk them through the appropriate reports to do so

    MOD - Yeah, I'm still not getting the full card number.

    Me - All good, I'll just need to use our remote access in that case. This takes a minute to login.

    Lauren quietly in the background of the manager's office - Sorry, I didn't mean to...

    Me - You can tell her it's fine, we'll get it sorted in a minute. From previously working food service, I know how it can get hectic sometimes.

    MOD - I'm sorry Lauren, but he says you need to go stand in the corner. You're in timeout.

    Lauren - !?

    Me - laughing loudly into the headset, probably audible on the other end [We usually have a solid and casual rapport with the people we support, plus my managers are fairly lax as long as we resolve their issue.]

    MOD - Yup, support said, so you gotta do it.

    Lauren - Ok...

    I then proceed to recover the card number for that half of the check and MOD was able to reapply the payment and close it.

    Me - Ok, looks like you're good to go, did you need help with anything else before I let you go?

    MOD - Nope, I think we're good here, thanks for the help!

    Me - Great! Hope you have a great night, and you can tell Lauren she can come out of the corner now.

    MOD - Lauren! The nice man on the phone was able to take care of it this time, but I hope you learned your lesson.

    The poor girl actually went and and stood in a corner of the kitchen while we were resolving this. It really wasn't a big deal at all, and quickly corrected, but still the funniest thing I've had come through my headset in a while.

    submitted by /u/Zakolache
    [link] [comments]

    Statistics are just stories we want to tell. Lets fudge that with a shell script.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:03 PM PST

    Here is a tale about the fallout of me failing to follow the cardinal rule of not telling management that you can solve their problem problems with code.

    This started about 6 years ago. My team leader had me move off the level one help desk and start coding. I had proven that with time I could remove some burden from the team and my team lead wanted me to focus more on code then answering users' questions. The issue came up, even though my focus had shifted, management still was measuring my worth by the number of tickets closed and was complaining about my low numbers.

    One day in an off hand remark. I suggested that I just wire my code into the help-desk and have it create a closed ticket every time an actionable item occurred. No work would have to be done, just log a ticket in my name that would be it. To my surprise my Team Lead agreed, and I made the changes to the code. Each time something happens that a Human used to do, an email was sent off to the help-desk to create a closed ticket.

    I put this in around the end of October and promptly forgot about it. I had bigger fish to fry than my management's opinion of me. Then one day at the end of the next March my Supervisor paid me a visit. You see my Supervisor also managed the software that ran the Help-desk.

    He had run the reports for management and there was an issue. A normal employee in IT might close 500 - 600 tickets in that time-frame; my code had logged over ~6,000 tickets for me and another ~3,000 for a coworker. I thought I would share some of the good fortune, and he was the contact for that process.

    So this destroyed the chart the report produced. It looked like the entire IT department was doing nothing next to the mountain of work that I had accomplished.

    I was told to re-assign all of the tickets my code created to the 'Service' account and future tickets would be assigned to said fake user. That was a fun 48 hrs of figuring out how to manipulate tickets via the API.

    Needless to say management rarely comments about my work ethic.

    Jump forward to last June, my Team Lead is now my supervisor and my supervisor has retired. The company is talking about how we are going to move from the current help-desk to an online SAS product. Reviewing the tickets in the current system was part of that discussion. The code I manage was First, Second and Fifth place in the amount tickets created. I might have had a evil laugh at that.

    TL;DR OP makes the cardinal mistake of telling management he can solve issues with code. Team Lead likes it and tells him to do that. Management does not like the numbers they are seeing. OP solves management issues with small shell script; a little too well.

    submitted by /u/byteblaster
    [link] [comments]

    F***ing Users!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:17 PM PST

    So I've just left the office, my on-call staff member is sick and so he calls me, he received a call from one of our restaurants, their kitchen screens have stopped working and I've got to deal with it because he can't be more than 20 feet from a toilet.

    I call them back, ask them when they stopped working "oh, they weren't working when we came in this morning". FFS, they've had all day to log a job, have persevered without it working for lunch service and now our office is closed, we've all gone home and the chef is going off his head that he needs it fixed right away.

    Today I have no more fucks to give, I've decided it's not getting fixed tonight and I'll deal with the consequences tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/casguy67
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel