• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Macbook Pro 2019 - or an alternative?

    Macbook Pro 2019 - or an alternative?


    Macbook Pro 2019 - or an alternative?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:54 AM PST

    Hi,

    I currently use an old MacBook Pro (2010) and have to change it. I am not really convinved from MacBook Air maybe because of the price/value. I am thinking about Quad-core (2.4) version with the touch bar

    I have a Wordpress online shop - with many plugins - that is going to be the main issue for me. Smooth usage - user friendliness is another topic.

    I also checked some lenovo models 2 in 1 because there is a nice discount at the moment- it might be also intereting, but i really dont like the design of thinkpad. Therefore I checked lenovo yoga (c930 and c340) but not really convinced.

    Important thing for me always has been the price/value - macbook is pricey but always were fine.

    I dont know, if there will be a new design or complete new MacBook Pro in 2020 - in a couple of months - I dont think that there will be a huge price drop in the version I am considering to buy.

    Any suggestions? Any input will be appreciated.

    Regarding the form:

    Total budget and country of purchase: 1800 Euro - Austria

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. 2 in 1 is a nice feature, not a must - security!

    How important is weight and thinness to you? portable! therefore pls max 13 inch

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. windows or mac

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13 inch

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. max standard Wordpress

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? maximum Football Manager nothing more

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? touch bar is a cool feature, such as 2 in 1

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. everything is above!

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Eowia
    [link] [comments]

    [SQ] Is 4GB RAM enough for a student?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:42 PM PST

    While researching I came across this Linus Tech video where he recommends 8GB as a minimum for students. I'm interested in the Surface Go, and the 4GB is significantly cheaper than the 8GB. I can't think of a reason I'd need so much RAM just for taking notes, would I even notice a difference?

    submitted by /u/Sir_Coffe
    [link] [comments]

    On the fence between a couple laptops

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:19 AM PST

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:** -Around $500 max, US *

    **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.** Best specs *

    **How important is weight and thinness to you?** Not Very*

    **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.** Windows *

    **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.** 13-15 inches *

    **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.** some gaming, maybe a little photoshop *

    **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?** Low settings or older games 30+ FPS *

    **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?** Not really, decent ports *

    Right now I'm on the fence between getting the Acer Aspire 5 since it's cheaper, but would the Dell Inspiron 13 or Asus Vivobook be worth the upgrade considering their Vega 8 + Radeon 5 and higher storage + ram (not as important as I'll upgrade them)? I mostly plan on surfing the web, watching videos, and some productivity but I'd also like to play some games, mostly older or lower setting obviously. I'm open to alternatives as long as they're not too much pricier.

    submitted by /u/Givemethebook
    [link] [comments]

    4K (?) High Reliability, Good Support Gaming Laptop

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:26 PM PST

    • Total budget and country of purchase: < $3000 total inc tax and 3 year acc dmg.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. FPS, Reliability, 4K screen.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Somewhat.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Gaming

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Elder Scrolls Online (ultra, 60FPS), Call of Duty (> 60fps?)

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
      good keyboard, reliable build quality, good support, screen at least as good as my dying 15" Macbook Pro 2015 Retina (2880 x 1800).

      • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    I've spent most of my adulting laptop life on Macbooks. Apple's various missteps lately have finally convinced me to move on. However, despite a PhD in computer science, my desire to build my own, f*ck with kernels, drivers, Windows configs and all the rest of it is zero. I just want to be able to get home from keeping the internet alive, kick back and kill some monsters or other players (I like PVP as much as PVE, but my Macbook addiction was keeping me from it, with its crappy 20 fps). I feel like I'm in Alienware/Razer territory, but I feel like Razer's build quality is icky (I was at a flagship store, and half the laptops had chips in the anodization around the speakers).

    I love the look of OLED 4K based on Razer's machines on display, and understand the issue/trade off WRT to gaming, but I can't stand looking at FHD screens, and I'm barely borderline OCD about this sort of thing. But if there's a compromise somewhere, I might be able to live with it.

    submitted by /u/wantondevious
    [link] [comments]

    Help me choose one please !!!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:58 AM PST

    I'm really confused right now :(( Really need helps from you guys

    After asking people (nearly anywhere possible: at college, reddit and various webs,..) considering the most suitable gaming laptop for my hardcore gaming life and programming works (AI and game dev)(and for my wallet too), the choices narrow down to:

    asus rog zephyrus s gx502

    asus rog strix scar II gl504gv

    acer predator helios 300

    msi gl65 9sek

    All with the same specs: RTX 2060 - 16gb ram - 512mb ssd - intel core i7

    Please help me choose from those four the best laptop I can use in the next 3 years.

    Thanks you guys all again. Really appreciate every opinion. Need a laptop real quick to replace my broken one. My new part-time job will start next month.

    p.s I am saving money for the upgraded 32gb ram and 1tb ssd. Not sure i am gonna make it :((

    submitted by /u/manh9amazing
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for studying Computer Science in college.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:36 AM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: 500- 800$, purchasing from India.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Lightweight is preferable.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Screen so i could comfortably read code.

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I use Premiere Pro for editing and im gonna do a lot of programming so...

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? I want to play Red dead redemption, it doesn't matter if i could play it on low settings only.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? keyboard backlight

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    submitted by /u/samuelawmpuia
    [link] [comments]

    A good laptop for gaming 1700$CAD buying in Canada

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:10 PM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: 1700$ CAD (equivalent of 1250usd), buying in Canada

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specifications for money

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Not that important

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15 or 17

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Gaming, I want to play games like gta v, rainbow six siege, overwatch preferaly in 4k 60fps on medium or high settings and i want to play 1080p 60fps high or ultra settings on new games and future proof

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Gaming, I want to play games like gta v, rainbow six siege, overwatch preferaly in 4k 60fps on medium or high settings and i want to play 1080p 60fps high or ultra settings on new games and future proof

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Want good build quality for future proof

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I want a laptop for replacing my old pc computer, it's fo this reason i want a good spec laptop running good games. I want a big storage preferaly 1,5 or 2 tb, I can buy a new hdd to install it in the laptop but I prefer that it is already in.

    submitted by /u/Soccergaming6
    [link] [comments]

    Versatile Laptop for Work & Light Gaming

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:37 AM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: $1000 - $1800 AUD - Australia

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specs for money, decent battery life

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Slim, sleek, lightweight is preferred. Prefer a normal looking laptop and not the bulky, edgy gaming laptop designs.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. -N/A

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Light gaming - FFXIV, L4D2, Payday 2. Nothing too intensive like end-game content or raids.

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Happy with low-moderate settings to achieve 45 - 60FPS

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Hoping for decent build quality.

    I'm looking for a versatile laptop that's slim and hopefully lightweight, that's capable of running games on occasion. I'll primarily be playing FFXIV, and L4D2/Payday 2 type FPS that doesn't rely too much on high frame rate. I won't be doing any end-game raids or anything like that either in FFXIV.

    My primary purpose will be general use, work (Microsoft Office Suite), internet browsing and entertainment such as Netflix. Games will be a second priority, but I'd like the option if I can.

    I've seen some laptops with 1070 GTX or 1650/1660 GTX and 8 - 16gb RAM options, but I'm not sure how much of a difference the RAM will make in overall performance.

    Would appreciate all of your recommendations.

    Thanks very much.

    EDIT: A couple of options I've found include:

    - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/dell-g3-15-3590-15-6-gaming-laptop-i7

    - https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/legion-laptops/lenovo-legion-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-15ICH/p/81FV01CTAU?cid=au:sem:cd5wz8&CAWELAID=120088020000006943&https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/pc&CATARGETID=120088020000008523&CADevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7K3yYq_5wIVFY6PCh35dQFxEAQYASABEgKJ8fD_BwE

    But would appreciate a couple of choices across the price ranges.

    submitted by /u/Aciesedge
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading CPU in a Laptop

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:42 AM PST

    Hi guys, I have a HP Pavilion g6-1211sq Notebook PC, and it has an Intel Core i3-2330M processor. I want to upgrade it with another, newer one that has the same wattage and same socket type, same generation etc. preferably an Intel Core i7-2620M processor. It seems to match everything so far.

    The question is, will it fit it? I also mean on the software level, if it boots at least, in case it fits physically. The processor is removable. And if it doesn't match, which one would you recommend?

    Some useful links:

    Laptop Manual (Processors at page 88)

    Laptop's Current CPU Specs (i3 2330M)

    Upgraded i7 2620M CPU

    Laptop HP Support Page with Information

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/FigaroHabanera
    [link] [comments]

    Need help deciding.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:50 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    I'm a bit in a pinch here.

    My profile. I am more a console gamer (i own ps4, switch and next year I plan buying a ps5). BUT I also like play in pc casually.

    So I come here looking for your wisdom and advice, when it comes to adjusting my budget.

    I recently picked a good deal. Lenovo legion y540 with i7 9750h, geforce rtx 2060, 144hz 15,6 display, 16gb ram and a 144hz screen. It is waiting at home, unopened. I payed 1000 euros for that.

    Then I have just saw an asus tuf, much weaker (ryzen 5 3550h and rx560x gpu). Priced at 600 euros. Not bad, but not a deal as good as the first one.

    I have thought, what if I keep my lenovo? Then I just thought that If I am a console gamer it can be a waste of money, since in 4/5 years another 500 euros laptop will probably replace my legion.

    Then I thought about keeping my asus. Less power, but enough for casual gaming and much cheaper. BUT i am afraid of new amd devices. I was thinking that maybe they will just aim to high end gaming in laptop.

    Soo what will you do? Budget wise decision.

    submitted by /u/petrolito
    [link] [comments]

    College Laptop for less than $500

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:52 PM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: Absolute maximum $500 but I would like to stay closer to $400 if it's possible at all, in the US

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Battery life is the factor I like the most, 2 in 1 would be cool but I haven't seen any at this price point so it is not necessary

    How important is weight and thinness to you? It's not that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice to have

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. All but Linux are fine

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. I would like around 13-15 inches

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Nope. The only thing I need this for is the internet and Microsoft office. It doesn't have to be fancy

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? N/A

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I would like a decent keyboard, touch screen would be nice but is not necessary

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I have looked at a lot of guides for cheap laptops for college students, and I have seen a lot of older lists or links that say one price and end up being way more, so I'm just looking for a more straightforward and recent way to buy. I really don't need anything fancy, just decent battery life. I do like apple and I am familiar with it but as far as I have found it seems out of my price range. I really appreciate any help TIA!

    submitted by /u/onceuponagreen
    [link] [comments]

    Zephyrus G15 worth waiting for ?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:17 AM PST

    Hi there,

    Should I wait for the asus zephyrus g15 or buy the zephyrus M gu502, considering that zephyrus M costs about 1200$ in my country at this moment.

    submitted by /u/EdwardTheMan
    [link] [comments]

    Video Editing and Light Gaming Laptop Around $600-$700

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:00 PM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: Around $600 preferred, up to $700 (MAYBE $800) maximum

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specifications for money, preferably NOT a 2 in 1. As long as it can edit for a couple hours unplugged for the rare instances I leave my desk or don't have an outlet nearby, I'll be fine.

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Not very, though I don't want a tank.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15.6" preferred - good size to see for editing without being too large to transport on a daily basis

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Audio and video editing (I work in radio, so mostly audio with some video); probably some light gaming like some League or Factorio or something when I'm on break, so not a major concern, but figured I might as well at least mention it

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Not important. More concerned with the editing, but if it's powerful enough to pop open some minimal settings Divinity Original Sin 2 like when I'm on break or something, I'd be beyond satisfied. I have a main PC for gaming, so this isn't a significant point of concern for this laptop.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Not worried about any accessories, already have plenty of extra stuff I can use if needed. At least USB 3.0 needed though.

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. The big kicker to hurt fitting the budget when I need specs for editing, I need a laptop that can hit 1080p for editing purposes. Hard to properly edit a 1080p video with a 1366x768p screen...

    Thanks for any help and suggestions. I really appreciate it! <3

    submitted by /u/Shimbius
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for casual gaming and decent build quality

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:10 PM PST

    I'm looking for something in the sub 800 range. Ive noticed the Acer Nitro 5 is a fair price and around the performance I'm looking for, but I see alot of complaints about build quality. Ive seen a few recommendations for a Dell Inspiron 7567, but all the threads relating to these are fairly old. Are there any new iterations or comparable laptops that fall into the category I'm looking for? For reference, I mostly play CoD and im just looking for 60fps at medium to high settings. Not looking for a max crysis laptop per se. Thank you all so much guys, I look forward to some suggestions.

    submitted by /u/OccamsToothpaste
    [link] [comments]

    Dell G7 or helios 300

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    Dell G7 15.6"

    Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor

    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD

    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB

    £1300

    Helios 300 15.6"

    Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor

    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD

    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060ti 6 GB

    £1300

    Or what else you you suggest at this price point for better value for money?

    submitted by /u/Pengu_62
    [link] [comments]

    It's worth it??

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:53 PM PST

    I'm planning on buying an Asus vivobook 14x412. ( 500$~600$) or a Dell Inspiron 14 5481 (700$~800$) Trying to buy a laptop that isn't expensive.

    I don't know if it's going to be worth it. It my first time buying a laptop.

    Gonna use it for work and school nothing special, light gaming. Just using the laptop for doing projects and things like that.

    submitted by /u/Juu87
    [link] [comments]

    Short term Laptop for college CS student

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:35 PM PST

    Long story short- I lost my Apple MacBook right before my last semester of college. I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible that will meet the needs of a college CS student. Namely, I just need to be able to code, use the terminal and other typical college studentish applications.

    Any suggestions are helpful!

    submitted by /u/redditSurer-777
    [link] [comments]

    Ready to Invest

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:25 PM PST

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $2500USD United States

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. -best specifications for the money

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Not important at all

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Gaming and work (excel, Microsoft Office, etc)

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Sims 4, Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, fortnite,roblox

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Reliable build quality

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I am okay with Laptop or Desktop Computer. I want something reliable and fast. Right now, I only play sims 4 on a MacBook Pro and I cannot deal with the slowness anymore. I want a major upgrade.

    submitted by /u/slightlyamused2day
    [link] [comments]

    General-purpose computer with light gaming for around $850-$1200 USD

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:16 PM PST

    Hello everyone

    I am looking for a computer to mainly work on things like resumes, apply for jobs, and study with. I would like something lighter and more portable that I can fit in my backpack and take with me pretty easily. I have a gaming desktop that I play most of my games on, but I love being able to play CIV 6 anywhere I go and would like for it to be able to run it without the fans sounding like they're ready to take off. I have $850 in store credit to Best Buy and would like to keep around that price range. I am able to finance more, but I really wouldn't want the total cost to get above $1,200 if I can avoid it.

    I'm not great at buying new computers. I've had gaming laptops in the past but they're too bulky for me now. My most previous laptop was a three-year-old Samsung Notebook Spin 7 15.6" that worked for me very well but had to be replaced. I have been playing around with the idea of a Mac but I'm not sure if it's really the right fit for me.

    Any of your advice, pointers, and of course recommendations would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/nott467
    [link] [comments]

    Programmers/developers laptop

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:08 PM PST

    what are some of the best options of laptops for fullstack developers? Lets skip Macbook and XPS13 developer edition.

    submitted by /u/arkyousufzai
    [link] [comments]

    US <$1000 - Looking for a small decent 2 in 1 as a secondary machine

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:15 PM PST

    • Total budget and country of purchase: In the US. Ideally <$500 but I'd go $1000+ for the right machine. Not afraid of used machines.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Anything with a good balance of battery life and specs/requirements. Not against 2 in 1 but I don't require it either.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Very important. I'm looking for something very small and light to tote around.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows/Linux. Looking for x86 (no ARM).

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Looking for 10-12", ideally a 10.1" or 11.6" machine. Absolutely nothing above 12" or below 9".

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Maybe a bit of Fusion360, but I have a Thinkpad T460p for that. This is mainly an Office/email/web machine.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Gaming is not a priority.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

      • USB-C dock support (need ethernet, HDMI and power). I move around a lot between 3-4 offices and want to be able to toss this laptop down at my desk and work.
      • Touchscreen is sort of a given for the size/form factor.
      • Keyboard isn't missing any keys (home/end/page up/down).
      • Ideally the machine has 8GB of RAM (or more), a processor better than an Atom x5, >128GB SSD and a screen res better than 1366x768.
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    I realize I'm looking for a unicorn. I'm looking to replace my ASUS Transformer (x5 Atom; 4GB RAM; 64GB SSD; 1366x768 LCD), so I'm not looking for anything worse than that.

    I have looked and found a few laptops, but none are 'perfect', there's all some fault with them...

    • BMAX y11. Good: Really thin and light (amazingly so). Reasonable (for the form factor) processor. USB-C that can work with a dock. Bad: Missing home/end/page up/down keys, somewhat poor battery life, sketchy Chinese origins so parts/repairs will be difficult, no fullsize USB port.

    • Dell Latitude 5175. Good: Repairable, tons of battery life, decent keyboard, USB-C dock support. Bad: Very chunky for an 11" machine. Processor is already 4 years old.

    • Lenovo Yoga 710 (11). Good: Small/light, reasonable processor. Bad: No USB-C abilities, 4GB RAM. Huge bezel making an 11" machine no smaller than a thin 12/13" machine.

    I'm leaning towards the Latitude, but wish I could find something less chunky.

    I would consider a Chromebook if loading Windows on it isn't a huge pain in the butt. I also don't mind waiting if there is a new machine coming out this year.

    submitted by /u/tacticaltaco
    [link] [comments]

    Approx 15 inch, windows, video editing, light gaming, 800USD

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:25 PM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase: 800USD, Australia

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Mix of both

    How important is weight and thinness to you? As long as its not a bulky beast

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15.7 inch

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Video editing with Sony Vegas Pro. Photoshop. Light gaming "world of tanks"

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Gaming not core focus. Video editing priority

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. The laptop will be my bread and butter as I do creative work from home. I'd like to be able to some light gaming when not video editing.

    submitted by /u/Robsterlobsta
    [link] [comments]

    Office-portability laptop for dual boot, Hackintosh much appreciated. Build quality and upgradability focus.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:**

    800€ Italy

    * **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**

    good battey life, best specification for office use and a bit of coding

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?**

    a lot

    * **Which OS do you require?**

    That's for my master thesis. I will use mainly windows and linux, dual boot is required. I was considering setting up an Hackintosh

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**

    N/A

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**

    browser, the office suite, mybe some gaussian calculations for quantum mechanics, latex editor, sigmaplot

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**

    nothing more than playable, some 2d stuff like am2r or guacamelee

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**

    good keyboard, good display and build quality are the most important

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**

    I need a dual boot device and the best would be a laptop with upgradable parts. Would be much appreciated 180° of aperture. I was considering the Lenovo Thinkbook 13s because of that, but looking around with a friend it turned out there is not much support to that particular laptop right now in terms of downvolting and hackintosh configurations.

    submitted by /u/etablues
    [link] [comments]

    $750, USA - Should I buy an HP Pavilion 360 Convertible 2 in 1 again or something else?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:48 AM PST

    • Total budget and country of purchase: Less than $750 would be ideal. USA.
    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. 2 in 1 is cool. Build quality is most important to me alongside portability/thinness & best specs for $.
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? I'd like something under 4 lbs. Thinness is important to me.
    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows, please.
    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13-14 inches. I am really trying to stick to under 14.5 inches.
    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. No photo editing. I play the Sims sometimes. My husband uses Rockstar Games launcher to play GTA. Our last laptop was capable of doing both fine enough. We are looking for similar quality. We don't need anything crazy. Just something that will run the programs. Alongside something that will run Microsoft Office on the daily, as my husband is a grad student.
    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? The Sims. My husband installs random game launchers sometimes to play GTA, etc.
    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Build quality is most important to me. I'd like touchscreen ability/2 in 1.
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. We are coming off of an HP Pavilion x360 2 in 1 convertible. I'm not sure if the build quality was bad on it, or I was just too rough on it, but the hinges were a problem for us and I've had issues with HP hinges in the past. I loved everything else about this laptop in terms of specs. I'm trying to figure out if I should just bite the bullet and go with the HP Pavilion x 360 2 in 1 convertible again, as it fit all of our needs perfectly, and just get a warranty on it, or if there might be a laptop out there that might fit all of our needs in the same way with a better build quality? Any suggestions, reddit?
    submitted by /u/femme_fat_al
    [link] [comments]

    $2600 budget, prefer Mac, debating switch to Windows. Primarily coding, some gaming. 15" screen a must. Details in post. Thank you for your help.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:59 AM PST

    Total budget and country of purchase:

    Up to $2700, United States.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    I do not want a 2 in 1 form factor. I am coming from a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, so something with similar battery life would be ideal. I prefer at least 5 - 6 hours of coding work without plugging in. For performance related needs, please see the gaming section.

    How important is weight and thinness to you?

    I am a consultant and I will carry it around.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    I prefer a Mac OS with a windows-bootcamp partition for SAS and gaming. However, I am willing to consider an ubuntu/windows dual boot where I use ubuntu for coding/daily use and windows for gaming.

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    15/16 inches.

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    I do a lot of coding, specifically in R, python, SAS, and bash (if that can be called coding haha). I also do some machine learning work. I am looking at a minimum 16 gb ram, I have access to a high performance linux-based compute cluster for heavy lifting.

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    Skyrim (heavy mods, ENB), oblivion (heavy mods), age of empires 2, AoE 3, age of mythology, civ 5. I am happy playing high-performance AAA titles (e.g. Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, Cyber punk 2077, Tomb Raider) on my console. Primarily looking to play older, single-player modded titles and real time strategy games, no online play.

    I am coming from a playstation 4 experience, and so am used to playing at 1080p and 30 fps. My ideal gaming experience would be to hookup the laptop to my Samsung 4K television for Skyrim and oblivion. I think I am fine with auto-scaling at 1080p and playing at 60 fps, on the TV. I know I am not looking for a 4K gaming experience.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Good touchpad is a must. High build quality (think solid aluminum MacBook body) is also a must. I am not picky about keyboards.

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I am heavily leaning towards the 16" MacBook Pro with the upgraded graphics card. I understand that a MacBook is not a gaming machine. The primary purpose of the laptop will not be gaming. However, since I am upgrading and prepared to spend a bit of money, it would be ideal to play the above mentioned games. I am also open to the idea of an eGPU if someone in the community feels that may be an option for me. But, I don't know how that works or how to judge quality for that.

    Thanks for your assistance! I really appreciate it.

    Edit: I have a 1 Tb SSD for storage, as well as a copy of windows 10

    submitted by /u/unobservant_bot
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel