• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, February 9, 2020

    Linux Why are files being written as root when I am logged in as user?

    Linux Why are files being written as root when I am logged in as user?


    Why are files being written as root when I am logged in as user?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:36 AM PST

    I just created a new linux VM and I am logged in as someUser. When I run "whoami" I get "someUser", however if I run "nano test.txt" and try to save it says Permission Denied.

    I can "sudo nano test.txt" but then the owner is root and I want it to be user without having to chown to user.

    Why isn't it writing files as user to begin with when I am logged in as user? How can I change this so I don't have to write with sudo and then chown to user?

    submitted by /u/freerangeh
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of dual booting for gaming... is it worth it?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:19 AM PST

    Hi. I am your typical Linux noob. I've heard how slow Windows can be. As I am an impatient gamer, this is annoying. I also am looking into coding, which I hear Linux is better for. I don't have the money to go and buy a faster or second computer, so my only option is to dual boot. I don't have the space to download everything twice, so I also need to know how to share files between my Linux boot and my Windows boot.

    I would like to know if it is worth it to Dual Boot Linux Mint with Windows 10, and how to make it so my Linux build can access my Windows build games and vice versa without redownloading them

    submitted by /u/Miaindygypsy
    [link] [comments]

    I basically already know what these commands do but I was wondering if any of them do the same thing? Also are there any other commands that can update and organize the system like these do.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 12:29 AM PST

    sudo apt-get update

    sudo apt-get upgrade

    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    sudo apt-get autoclean

    sudo apt-get clean

    sudo apt-get autoremove

    submitted by /u/2PacfromCuba
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good rookie Linux project?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:33 AM PST

    So I have a working Kunbuntu.
    I have bought the "Your Linux Toolbox" by Julia Evans consisting of 7 easy "zines".
    They consist of

    (So You want to Be a Wizard)

    Let's learn tcpdump

    Bite Size Linux

    Networking Ack!

    Spying on you programs with Strace

    Linux debugging tools you'll love

    Profiling and Tracing with PERF

    Where do I begin?

    submitted by /u/XLNAempimp
    [link] [comments]

    Terminating Programs

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:54 AM PST

    So, me as being a noob, I wanted to ask is there a way to terminate a program in Ubuntu. I am having some problems force closing programs. And If there is a way to terminate program with GUI than I prefer the GUI one otherwise I can work with commands.

    submitted by /u/Abled_Gaming1357
    [link] [comments]

    Flatseal - A permissions manager for Flatpak (you can use it to deny network access to the apps you don't trust)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:49 AM PST

    I cannot use my second hard drive!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:52 AM PST

    Just trying to do the switch to Ubuntu but I have 2 SSDs in my laptop and somehow I can just use one (the smaller one) I'm not able to access the other one as I did in Windows.

    Given the ssd I used to install Ubuntu is too small, I do need to use the second one to install everything and use as my main storage.

    I tried formatting it with gparted (and I did) but I can't still see it.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/TotallyNotDesechable
    [link] [comments]

    Want to create bootable pendrive of windows 10 on Ubuntu. How can i do that ?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:53 AM PST

    Folder Permissions

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 12:19 PM PST

    I periodically add files to a folder on my raspberry pi using Filezilla. I find that I have to change the permissions on each file after I add it in order for certain applications to access it. I do this by copying and pasting permissions from another file in the same folder. How can I set the folder to give the same permissions to every file that is added? Thank You!

    submitted by /u/boymilo
    [link] [comments]

    Help installing awesome windows manager

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:32 AM PST

    I wanted to give a try to awesome windows manager. But still I didn't wanted to mess up with my main OS so I installed bodhi linux on virtualbox. And installed awesome with sudo apt-get install awesome and it shows that its installed but there is no option to choose awesome wm on login screen. I am a beginner and wanted to learn it.

    submitted by /u/Badshah57
    [link] [comments]

    First line - UUID is not in fstab / second line - happens occasionally, does not boot (manjaro)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 12:14 PM PST

    Laptop can't enter deep sleep s2idle only.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:10 AM PST

    I noticed a huge battery drain when I leave my laptop overnight with the lid closed (~20%). Upon digging I noticed that my laptop was not entering deep sleep and I think the ram is still being powered. I am using pop os as my distro and the default bootloader systemd.

    the output of the following:

    sudo journalctl | grep "PM: suspend" | tail -2 

    Showed that it was only going in s2idle and not deep.

    cat /sys/power/mem_sleep 

    also showed that s2idel was selected!

    I tried editing the:

    /etc/systemd/sleep.conf 

    as root and ucommented :

    AllowHibernation=yes HibernateMode=platform shutdown HibernateState=disk 

    without any success. Any help would be appreciated!

    EDIT 1:

    I was finally able to get it to somewhat work by passing in a kernel parameter in here:

    /boot/efi/loader/entries/pop_OS-current.conf 

    and I added under the options line:

    mem_sleep_default=deep 

    and it seems to work so far!

    My other question is how do I check if my computer is hibernating after a certain amount of time (i.e. offloading the ram to disk so no need to power the ram)

    submitted by /u/alphasinnuclein
    [link] [comments]

    Backup data and fully restoration

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:46 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I am very fresh Linux user - currently on distro Mint 19.3 using Cinnamon DE. I was trying so hard to install my canon mg5750 scanner using various commands and tricks but my attempt finished unsuccessfully.

    In order to do that - I have installed many things that I don't fully understand.

    Because this is freshly setup OS, I want to have a backup data that will allow me to revers all action that I made - that includes entered commands, installed programs and updates and also downloaded files, web history - so basically everything that has been created to the chosen point.

    I am currently using Timeshift - but it doesn't do Hello everyone, I am very fresh Linux user - currently on distro Mint 19.3 using Cinnamon DE. I was trying so hard to install my canon mg5750 scanner using various commands and tricks but my attempt finished unsuccessfully.

    In order to do that - I have installed many things that I don't fully understand. Because this is freshly setup OS, I want to have a backup data that will allow me to revers all action that I made - that includes entered commands, installed programs and updates and also downloaded files, web history - so basically everything that has been created to the chosen point.

    I am currently using Timeshift - but it doesn't do what I am looking for - I mean, it is not deleting files etc.what I am looking for - I mean, it is not deleting files etc.

    //edit at 18:50 - 09/02/20

    I would like to reinstall the OS again, set it up as I want, make a full backup and in the case when something goes wrong or I am not happy with the performance just fully restore the system that will return it to my "default" settings.

    submitted by /u/JohnnyBravo655
    [link] [comments]

    Why should my linux password be strong?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:34 AM PST

    I am not using a public computer but a laptop with linux. I never go on public wifi, only via USB tethering on my mobile plan, and even if I want a mobile hotspot via WiFi I do so only with "approved devices" by entering my laptops MAC address.

    So why should my linux machine password be strong enough to withstand bruteforce attacks? I never allow inbound SSH traffic or expose my machine in any way to inbound web traffic. Sure I can get screwed over by a malicious download, but I don't see how a 16 digit password might help in that scenario.

    It's not "passw0rd" by any means. I use a passphrase that is 15 characters long, but I am considering 3 word passphrase that is maybe 10 characters in length to make it easier for sudo commands.

    What are the dangers?

    Ubuntu 18 LTS, HP Laptop

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    A few questions

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:22 AM PST

    Hey there, I had a few questions so I thought I'd put them in one post. Here goes:

    1. Does changing your init system make a difference in boot time and general performance of a distro? Gentoo uses OpenRC by default, does it mean it should ideally run faster than ARCH? Especially during boot? Assume the same packages are installed, only default flags set in Gentoo. How about runit or SysVinit?

    2. Is installing the base-devel package along with Linux, Linux firmware and base packages necessary? Can we do it any other stage (maybe after booting into a DE?)

    3. Say I'm installing KDE on ARCH. I want to enter my password into the command line and then do "startx kde" to boot into the GUI. Is it possible to do so if I don't install SDDM? What are the steps I need to follow? Is there a guide on this?

    4. Is it possible to incorporate two or more different packaging formats in a single distro? Like being able to install both deb, rpm, and running scripts for tars? Can such a distro be made from Gentoo or LFS?

    I am beginner in Linux, and I would really like technical, detailed answers to these questions, and won't hesitate to ask for more clarification. If you have links for these queries, please provide them but the above still stands. Thank you so much for your help!!

    submitted by /u/lestrenched
    [link] [comments]

    How to install octoprint on a ubuntu Linux system

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:46 AM PST

    I was wondering how to install octoprint ( https://octoprint.org/ ) on to a Linux machine i am very new to Linux and know pretty much nothing about Linux commands or how to install stuff

    submitted by /u/dukeniloc3
    [link] [comments]

    Problem moving /home partition to a partition on an external drive

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 05:50 AM PST

    I am running into an issue moving my /home folder from my SSD to an external HDD. I have a dual boot of linux and windows on the SSD and I am running out of space, so I want to move the /home partition to the external drive.

    I am following this guide: https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/

    I have followed the first few steps:

    1. Created a temp home folder at /media/home and on fstab I gave it the UUID of the external partition. This worked fine, I can see this folder with the right size.

    2. I used rsync to copy all the files from /home to /media/home

    I run into an issue at this point, I am not able to relocate my /home directory into /home_backup. It tells me that the device or resource is busy. So I looked it up and came to this similar question:

    https://askubuntu.com/questions/245925/mv-cannot-move-home-to-old-home-device-or-resource-busy

    Now, reading the first answer and it says that if your /home is it's own partition (which is the case for me) you should ignore that step and comment out the current home paritition in fstab, or the new one will never be mounted.

    Is this correct? the next answer says to log out and go on a virtual terminal, run as sudo -i and check lsof -n | grep '/home' to make sure that nothing is open. In my case it lists bash and sudo.

    Maybe I'm being too careful, but I need the computer working for university and can't be slowed down by bricking my laptop. Can someone clear up what the right process is? I don't see how I can just mount my new partition at /home, and comment out the currnet partition in fstab while I am actively in the current partition. Especially if what I tried above tells me that sudo and bash are running out of the current /home/username.

    Don't know if that makes sense, but hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

    submitted by /u/electricIbis
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a phone charger as a power supply for my Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:33 AM PST

    I am not allowed to ask this in the Raspberry Pi subreddit, so I am asking it here. This will be my very first Pi.

    I have two phone chargers. I believe that their voltage is sufficient but I am not sure about the electric current.

    One of them is 5V-1.2A and the other is 5V-1.8A. If they are sufficient, would it create any problem to charge Pi this way?

    submitted by /u/sciwins
    [link] [comments]

    Grub unquiet?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:29 AM PST

    Hi all, I tried looking around, but maybe my GoogleFu (DuckDuckGoFu) search paremeters weren't up to snuff.

    I'd like to see all the fun stuff going on and maybe peek at the errors too, to see what comes up when booting. Anyone got ideas on how to see the code as it boots up?

    submitted by /u/UsedSexToys4Sale
    [link] [comments]

    Minecraft VSYNC Forced on

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:07 AM PST

    Minecraft VSYNC On Forcefully

    Hello,

    I'm trying to play minecraft on linux as I get 2x more fps than on windows, but I cannot for the life of me turn vsync off. I don't have the option to do so in the nvidia control panel for Linux, and I I've tried everything in this thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/8e6q8m/minecraft_locked_at_60fps/

    Please help me,

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dauntless4155
    [link] [comments]

    Debian + SELinux?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 05:02 AM PST

    I am going to switch to Debian from Windows soon but I have limited experience and knowledge with Linux.

    I chose Debian because security and privacy is my hobby/passion.

    To clarify, I will be mostly watching YouTube videos but also play games such as CS:GO.

    Could someone please answer these questions for me? I would very much appreciate it!

    What is SELinux? (ELI5)

    Should I and can I enable SELinux in Debian?

    If yes, why is it not enabled by default? I thought Debian was security focused?

    Will SELinux affect performance?

    I'm hoping to still be able to game on Linux, will I be able to? (After enabling SELinux)

    My basic PC specs are:

    NVIDIA RTX 2060

    Intel i5-9400F

    16 GB RAM

    Thanks soo much in advance!

    If anyone can even give the slightest of help/insight I will be very grateful!

    submitted by /u/VoidVoidTomorrow
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to get rid of flickering in Gnome on Arch

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 03:48 AM PST

    So, I've been using Arch for a while now and I'm happy with it. But ever since my old monitor died and I switched to a 5:4@75 Hz one, desktop environments won't stop flickering and now I think I messed something up.

    The flickering gets stronger when I open programs or move my mouse, but still happens when I just leave it be. I don't know how to describe it other than "screen-tearing". It doesn't happen when I'm just in the console, but when I run Gnome and Shift+Alt+F2 out, the console flickers too. As soon as I killall the gnome-shell, the flickering stops.

    To start my gnome session from the console I usually run this: "dbus-run-session -- gnome-shell --display-server --wayland". I tried running the X version of Gnome with xinit, but no luck there either.

    I thought switching to a different DE might get rid of the flickering. I un- and reinstalled stuff. I can't start Weston anymore. It says "fatal: failed to create compositor backend" every time I run it. All other DEs now say "[...] cannot open display 0.0" or something along those lines.

    I double checked the hardware and Windows has absolutely no problems with my setup. I'm really confused cuz it used to work with my old monitor.

    Does Arch just hate 5:4 or 75 Hz?

    submitted by /u/tech_tie
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to install a linux system without a pen drive/dvd?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    So, I`m a true noob in this tech world but Im trying to ressucitate my old PC (Windows 10 originally) and want a Linux distro to make it run. I got the Endless OS 2 days ago but I did not like it at all. The reason I "choose" Endless OS is because it allows you to install without an external device like a pendrive or DVD, since it only requires you to run their instalator. Is there any other distro that provides such thing? Im really unable to get a pendrive right now (not only financial reasons).

    Thx in advance! (Sorry any typos)

    submitted by /u/ludwig_br
    [link] [comments]

    Hanging on pop_os

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 07:17 PM PST

    Been about a week since i moved to linux (pop_os) and i love it. However, something that annoys me to no end is when I'm installing something or running multiple chrome tabs, basically anything that pushes my hard disk, my computer just hangs. The cursor stops being responsive and i cant do anything. That said, it's only for a few seconds and I'm generally able to get back at what i was doing pretty quick. However, it is still annoying and I'd like to fix it if possible. My hardware is as follows: 1. Intel core i3 skylake mobile processor 2. 4 Gb ram 3. 1TB HDD I know a quick hardware fix is to upgrade to an SSD and/or another stick of ram, however i wanted to confirm if I could avoid the issue I'm having via software first. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/humanmetric
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel