• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Linux Which Distro should I go for?

    Linux Which Distro should I go for?


    Which Distro should I go for?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:02 AM PST

    Currently, I am using Windows. I think it is a resource hog.

    I need a distro that would work well with me. Preferably, the one that officially supports a KDE environment. (No community support for KDE, but, the official support for KDE). I'll need the distro to be there and let me do my job and not waste my time fixing it.

    I need to use an Office suite on it. Preferably, the one that is most compatible with Microsoft supported file extensions.

    I'll also use it for casual Youtube browsing, image editing and to do blogging.

    submitted by /u/Abigail202
    [link] [comments]

    PDF reader to suit my needs

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:55 AM PST

    Hi there, as a long-time Windows user I've decided that I'm going to make the effort to switch to Linux once-and-for-all. (I've tried about a dozen times in the past).

    One thing I need to do fairly regularly is print just part of a PDF.

    In Adobe reader, I do the following:
    Select Edit->Take Snapshot
    Highlight the section I want (includes graphics and text)
    Print (and check "selected area")

    Then the section I have highlighted prints full page.

    I've tried one-or-two PDF viewers in Linux (Manjaro) but I haven't found one that does it.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/_kenmac
    [link] [comments]

    How do I set up a server to resolve DNS names from two different DNS servers / domains.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:03 PM PST

    I have a server that needs to be able resolve IPs / DNS names from two different domains. From what I understand, having multiple DNS entries in /etc/resolve.conf will only act as a fail-over if the first server is offline. Is there a way to have it try one DNS server and if it fails to RESOLVE (not fail to contact), then try another DNS server?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Ticked_Off_Clock
    [link] [comments]

    Permission denied when trying to access a file I have access to (chmod 7), but thats inside a folder I dont have any permissions to(chmod 0)

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:47 PM PST

    Does this mean that if a file is in a directory you dont have read access to, you cant have any access to it at all? Is there any way to circumvent this?

    submitted by /u/livinglibary
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to use command line more. What are some ways I can start using it more? [Ubuntu]

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:33 PM PST

    I use it to make and delete files and directories. But can't figure out use cases besides that. What are some things you do in the cli that make your life easier every day?

    I also just started running python programs I write directly from the cli and creating my virtual environments from it.

    submitted by /u/Sudden-Look
    [link] [comments]

    How can I add these changes into a modern kernel on Arch for Arm?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:21 PM PST

    Hi, I'm trying to (just for fun) install Linux on a Kobo Mini. All the way back in 2013, someone on the mobileread forums installed Debian on it, but I have been having trouble getting it to work (I have no idea how to compile the kernel) and it's also a very outdated kernel. Is it possible to have these changes "just work" on a modern kernel on a different OS (preferably either modern Debian Arm or Arch Arm)? Thanks!

    Btw, here is the forum thread I mentioned: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222123

    submitted by /u/kelvinh_27
    [link] [comments]

    Saving Windows 10 license when turning to Linux

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:40 AM PST

    Hello, I'm thinking about moving from Windows 10 to Linux, but I do have a little concern:

    Will I be able to save Windows 10 somehow to avoid paying for a new license?

    I've heard about Windows being notorious for making people keep paying for new licenses if anything is remotely changed and I would love to be able to revert back to Windows if I end up not liking Linux (which I doubt though lol).

    submitted by /u/TFCrafter
    [link] [comments]

    Back-up help

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:49 PM PST

    Hello everyone I want to fully switch to linux from win. Before I do that I would like to make an ISO with my current wind backup on it. By that I mean all programs/files on the ISO.

    Is there any way to achieve this ? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Lamestrike
    [link] [comments]

    Did anybody succeed in completely turning OFF an Nvidia GPU?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:37 AM PST

    I have an Optimus laptop with Intel/Nvidia card. In ubuntu I was able to switch to Intel graphics card by using Prime. But Fedora doesn't have that option. Nvidia is drawing so much power and draining my battery quickly.
    If it was easy to dismantle the GPU, I would have done that. But I don't want to perform an operation and kill my laptop.

    Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 300
    GPU: Intel(Integrated) and Nvidia(Dedicated) graphics card.

    Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/saintandthesinner
    [link] [comments]

    Simplest way to install AMD video drivers?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:48 AM PST

    Hi all. Linux newb here, trying to make the switch from windows. I'm using a Debian based distro. The distro is called NetRunner Blackbird. That's the one that I've decided I want to learn linux on, then I'll switch to something else once I've learned a lot more. So I got it installed, but now I can only get video output through the motherboard's HDMI port. Understandable, since I don't have any drivers installed for my AMD RX 560 video card.

    However, there don't seem to be any drivers in the Discover software center that comes with the Plasma DE. So I've learned that some people actually install other package managers than the default one. Is there one that will have the necessary AMD drivers for my RX 560? Right now I just get a blank screen when I plug the cable into the graphics card instead of the motherboard. I looked up how people deal with this problem for Nvidia, they install Muon Package Manager. And it just has an installer there for Nvidia drivers. You get the installer, you tell it to go, and wam bam you've got your drivers installed. Can't find anything like that for AMD though. Can someone help me out?

    submitted by /u/rampitup55
    [link] [comments]

    Archiving DejaDup backup?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:41 PM PST

    Long story short, I accidently deleted everything on my harddrive and I want to save my backups on a samba server. I have a copy of the Linux Command Line and he says archiving compressed files is a bad idea, but back in my torrenting days, I always would get a a zipped folder of music; so I'm assuming it saved some space. I want to know if its okay to tar the folder that holds the backup with Dejadup and store it.

    submitted by /u/alexanderons
    [link] [comments]

    Need to change -gamma value permanently

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:25 PM PST

    Can i install MATE next to Xfce?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:50 AM PST

    Would there be any complications or bugs? Should i be careful about something? Will i be able to change sessions on login screen? This would be an installation of MATE alongside Xfce on Arch. Edit: thanks everyone it works! :)

    submitted by /u/TheSilentStar
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of this useless icon - Ubuntu 19.10

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:41 PM PST

    On screen keyboard for electron apps?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:26 AM PST

    I am trying to use onboard for electron apps but it doesn't seem to automatically detect a text field. It works for mostly everything else like firefox, but electron apps dont seem to trigger the automatic text field detection. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Vipervgts
    [link] [comments]

    What are HSP files and how to open them?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 05:28 AM PST

    Hi r/linux4noobs!

    I've found an HSP file inside the files of a game I was playing and I was wondering what they are.

    Can anyone explain what they are and recommend a FOSS utility for opening HSP files?

    submitted by /u/its-always-eight
    [link] [comments]

    Vagrant + VirtualBox + Archlinux recipe for disaster, then disaster recovery

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:07 AM PST

    TLDR: If you want to hack around on an Archlinux base install, install Vagrant and Virtualbox. Bring up an Archlinux Virtual environment with the following 3 commands

    vagrant init kblakeio/ArchBasex64

    vagrant up*

    vagrant ssh

    So. . ., I have been fooling around with Archlinux in order to improve my understanding of underlying complexities of systemd-boot, initializing and running X11 or Wayland servers, etc. This would have helped me exponentially in tinkering and testing without risk of loosing data

    I'll post some guidelines in the first comment with some details but once Vagrant and Virtualbox are installed, you can install the ArchLinux virtual machine with the following 3 noted above in TLDR;

    Also Archlinux maintains their own Vagrant images, but this was a project born out of an interest by me, and I would like to see if it works globally or needs to be tweaked. If you try and run into errors or problems, I would be glad to help. Please feel free to post problems or questions here or to me directly.

    <3Lolstabz

    *You will probably see an error message about permissions at the end of this command, it can be safely ignored.

    submitted by /u/lolstabz
    [link] [comments]

    Lubuntu 16.04.3LTS - Most of the UI shrinked after restart.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:44 AM PST

    How to get python's Idle editor to open up with python version 3.8?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:36 AM PST

    I installed python version 3.8 using deadsnakes from a few guides that said I should leave python version 2.7 along since the OS uses it. The install went well. I also installed idle3 through the terminal which also went well, except when I open idle, it still uses python version 3.6 instead of 3.8. Is there a way to get idle to open with 3.8 as the default?

    submitted by /u/Altair05
    [link] [comments]

    Barebones distros to test installer packages?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:49 AM PST

    I'm a software developer who's new to Linux. I need to test installer packages I created. What would be good distros to test debian and rpm packages? I'm thinking that the type of issues they can have is that they rely on dependencies that are only included in some distros, or execute bash commands that aren't widely available as well. So would some lightweight barebone distros be the best to test, because they have minimal puzzle pieces included? Any recommendations? I have two installers, one is a desktop that uses electron and net core, the other has no UI and installs a service that serves http requests with net core.

    submitted by /u/pabs80
    [link] [comments]

    Fonts in JAVA RunTime env Looks awful!! any way to improve the fonts ? just like windows,GNOME??

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:20 AM PST

    Help with dnsmasq

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:32 AM PST

    Morning.

    I am trying to setup dnsmasq on my little network, and having some trouble.

    Running

    dig cnn.com <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1ubuntu2.1-Ubuntu <<>> cnn.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached 

    trying directly to check my server, I get the following:

    nslookup cnn.com 172.16.99.50 Server: 172.16.99.50 Address: 172.16.99.50#53 Non-authoritative answer: Name: cnn.com Address: 151.101.1.67 Name: cnn.com Address: 151.101.129.67 Name: cnn.com Address: 151.101.65.67 ... 

    Looking at the dnsmasq service, I see the following:

    status dnsmasq.service ● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-02-07 14:03:03 IST; 2h 25min ago Process: 3483 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Process: 3490 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Process: 3501 ExecStartPost=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-start-resolvconf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Main PID: 3500 (dnsmasq) Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915) Memory: 2.3M CGroup: /system.slice/dnsmasq.service └─3500 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -r /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf -7 /e Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3483]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK. Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: started, version 2.80 cachesize 150 Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53 Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53 Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: using local addresses only for domain XXXXXX.local <b>Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: no servers found in /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf, will retry </b> Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: bad name at /etc/hosts line 12 Feb 07 14:02:57 Neige dnsmasq[3500]: read /etc/hosts - 45 addresses Feb 07 14:03:03 Neige systemd[1]: Started dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server. 

    the /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf file is empty (and obviously get overridden on restarting the service).

    On the dnsmasq, I set the no-resolve option to ignore the /etc/resolv.conf file So I believe there's a problem pointing the queries to the local dnsmasq instance since if I point it explicitly things do work. Any ideas where does the dnsmasq take the definition for the /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf file ?

    Any other troubleshooting steps ?

    Thanks in advance !

    submitted by /u/4xC37rC7kmEIa
    [link] [comments]

    Can't use VSC integrated terminal(in linux), Cannot run/debug code!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    Sorry, if this is the wrong subreddit to post but since I'm using elementary OS(dual booted) I posted here(also in windows this problem doesn't occur). I am learning Java and I don't usually use VSC as my compiler but I sometimes use live share in VSC. Now when i try to run/debug any code, this error occurs, also I can't use the integrated terminal and put commands such as "java --version" . Tried googling but can't find luck. Anybody who had this problem and solved it, Can you share?

    Sorry for the English not a native speaker.

    https://preview.redd.it/a3c87efkkjf41.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=39a0069613c2f65c1888c02207cbe5099432a5ec

    submitted by /u/ArionRefat
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way for a full disk backup - incl Bootloader, etc

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:50 AM PST

    I am using Timeshift to backup my data, so that is save.
    But I want a disk to which I clone my setup (Dualboot Ubuntu and eOS) and restore in case I fuck it all up.

    I need:

    • Backup to a external HDD
    • Backup should be bootable (so that if my system dies, I can just boot from the external HDD temporarily)
    • Backup should be restorable, so that I just restore to my last backup

    I have tried clonezilla once, but I was not able to boot up the copy I made. And my laptop uses UEFI Bios, which i don't know how, but surely will make it more difficult, i guess.

    Thanks in advance for any help or pointing me to relevant documentation

    submitted by /u/jonnyzaggi
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint/Windows dual-boot won't load -- I think I deleted the root? Need help fixing!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:32 AM PST

    Dual boot laptop (Windows/Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon)

    1 TB (Windows is 110 gb/Mint is 890 gb)

    I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux -- I've been using it for a year or two, but still get confused from time to time. I'm enthusiastic and try to learn whatever I can.

    A couple days ago I decided to do a fresh install of Mint 19.2. I was having problems because the root was filling up, which in turn made it impossible to load Mint properly. It also slowed down performance. (This problem appears to have been caused because Timeshift was saving backups to the root ... I'm not sure why it had this setting.) I got a fresh install and things seemed to be okay. Since I had problems previously with the root filling up, I decided I want to make the root larger (40gb, rather than the previous 20gb).

    This is where I think my problems started. I went into DISKS and tried changing my partitition size. I first tried shrinking the main partition by 20gb so I could add 20gb to the root. However, when I changed the size of the main partition it appears that I deleted the root.

    Now when I boot my computer it goes straight to a black screen that says "Invalid partition table!" Previously, this is when I would be prompted to choose Windows or Mint. I don't get this option anyore.

    The only way I can use the computer now is to use the installation USB and hit F12 to boot through it. This isn't ideal.

    How do I get things working normally again? Please keep in mind I want to have dual boot working again, while also increasing the size of my root (from 20gb to 40gb). I am fine with reinstalling Mint again. Is there a way I can trigger installation before I get the "Invalid partition table!" message?

    I believe strongly in the idea of Linux as an OS. The troubles with my root filling and causing problems, followed by this latest problem are very frustrating. Is there another flavor of Linux that is user friendly but less troublesome in this respect?

    Thank you for reading this, and I appreciate your help.

    submitted by /u/shorthandluke
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel