• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, February 8, 2020

    Linux I'm trying to compile kernel for pocophone but for some reason .config file gets ignored and i have missing dependencies. More info in comments.

    Linux I'm trying to compile kernel for pocophone but for some reason .config file gets ignored and i have missing dependencies. More info in comments.


    I'm trying to compile kernel for pocophone but for some reason .config file gets ignored and i have missing dependencies. More info in comments.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:56 AM PST

    Why does the command needed to run an executable in current working directory need to be prefixed with './' ?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:15 PM PST

    Fundamentally, is there a difference between running an executable without the './' and with it, when the given executable is in present working directory?

    submitted by /u/ThiccShadyy
    [link] [comments]

    Research Assistant position demanding I learn Linux + Vim (feeling overwhelmed)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:48 PM PST

    Hey thanks in advance guys

    So I'm currently a research assistant at my university and my role is computational simulation. I've been told to get comfortable with the Linux terminal and start learning how to use VIM/VI. I've installed Linux (Ubuntu) on my old beat up laptop and have been messing around with the terminal and googling but I'd like to know what you guys think would be the most efficient way to self teach myself how to use the terminal and vim so that I can be somewhat competent using them. In general I'm very interested in this stuff so I don't mind spending the extra time studying/learning if that's needed.

    submitted by /u/NoDivineComedyHere
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to install solus, Says my EFI partition is too small

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:58 PM PST

    So to preface this, I'm trying to dual boot windows 10 and solus. I have previously installed many other distros, manjaro being the one I usually come back to, but wanted to try using solus for a while. However when I try to install solus, it is telling me that my EFI boot partition doesn't have enough free space. This could be due to old installs that used that partition to boot. However, I dont know how to clean this up this partition without damaging the windows boot. My partition is 100mb so its a little bit small, however solus is claiming that it only has 42 mbs of free space to use. Any help on this issue would be very appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mrleaf1e
    [link] [comments]

    On Ubuntu I can't install guest additions in Virtualbox. I get an error: Could not find the virtualbox guest additions disk image file

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:13 PM PST

    My end goal is to get my VM to be full screen. Instead I get a ton of empty space around the vm even in full screen mode. So I google and everyone says to install the guest additions... When I try to do that, I get an error: Could not find the virtualbox guest additions disk image file. Do you wish to download? I say YES and then get an error: failed reason unknown.

    The 3rd time around after screwing with the thing for hours downloaded the VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.14.iso to my host machine.

    But Virtualbox docs are pretty unclear what to do from here:

    VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This image file is located in the installation directory of Oracle VM VirtualBox. To install the Guest Additions for a particular VM, you mount this ISO file in your VM as a virtual CD-ROM and install from there.

    Thanks guys but WHERE is this "installation directory of Oracle VM Virtualbox" ??? Is it on the HOST machine or Guest? I've tried placing the file in my ~/VirtualBox VMS/ubuntuvm/ directory but... Still get the same problem of it not being found.

    Any ideas? I've google searched and it seems like I'm the only person experiencing this problem.

    submitted by /u/fastpenguin91
    [link] [comments]

    I am having a strange experience with browsers on Ubuntu 19.10

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:55 AM PST

    So it's been about three days since I updated Ubuntu to 19.10. I have been trying to use Firefox since then but it constantly keep crashing on random websites. I have tried everything from reinstalling Firefox to again completely purging and installing it again. Still keeps crashing. I disabled add-ons and it is still crashing. I started it in safe mode and yet it still crashed. I disabled hardware acceleration in settings but the problem still persists.

    So I thought well I should just install another browser. And I installed chrome and guess what it straight up refuses to even start. On top of it , there is no error messages or crash report generated here. So i uninstall chrome and install it again using command line. It still won't start.

    Now I thought I should install another browser. So installed opera and it is behaving same as chrome. I have now installed vivaldi, brave. They are also behaving as chrome. It seems browser who use chrome engine aren't starting at all.

    I don't what to do? Any solution? Is this graphic driver issue? Laptop Dell 5520, Intel core i5 3rd gen , and Radeon hd 7500m/7600m

    Here a crash report for Firefox when it crashed using freecodecamp website: https://pastebin.com/xv7wMMt7 Firefox has crashed using YouTube, GitHub and many random websites.

    submitted by /u/poplerhead998
    [link] [comments]

    A pre-linux noob question

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:47 AM PST

    What format do i format my ssd to put manjaro on to additionally do i use etcher to put the os to an image?

    submitted by /u/sirquag
    [link] [comments]

    Help with setting up lightdm web greeter on Ubuntu

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:37 AM PST

    At the moment I'm trying out Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in a VM before I make a switch. I've currently trying to configure Ubuntu to look how I want and for the life of me can't get the web-greeter for lightDM to work.

    Here's what I've done so far:

    1. sudo apt install lightdm (works and when I reboot my computer it shows the lightdm login screen)
    2. Installed web-greeter from the OBS repository
    3. Then setup the 60-web-greeter.conf file as described in the second article here.
    4. And everytime I reboot my VM, it won't ever go pass the Ubuntu logo screen

    So can anyone help?

    Note: Are you also able to help with installing the theme? Seems straight forward, but so did the installation of the web-greeter.

    submitted by /u/Alaska_01
    [link] [comments]

    Audacity doesn't start anymore (Ubuntu 18.04)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:22 AM PST

    What is the ideal distro for professional video game development and programming?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:11 PM PST

    What linux distro would be best for someone doing professional or even indie game development? Can you use UE4, Unity and autodesk products such as maya and mudbox on Linux? It also needs to be good for programming both games and software. Mainly C#, C++, Python, Java.

    I currently use windows 10 and have dabbled with linux within VMs before but never used as a main driver with a dedicated boot drive. I have very high end desktop hardware so speed hasn't been an issue particularly but I wonder if linux will still be any better and provide a better work environment. I also love the customisability of linux and the package manager. I'm not looking for a windows friendly transition, just something ideal for my kind of work that would be more beneficial on linux than windows. Possibly even switch to as a main driver. Currently I only plan to sideload.

    submitted by /u/Bran04don
    [link] [comments]

    Kleopatra key pair creation wizard details

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:10 PM PST

    I've been playing with Kleopatra to learn more about gpg.

    Within the key pair creation wizard it has an option to enter details such as name and email.

    These are now auto populated by a name i had previously entered.

    I assumed these details were coming from ~/.gnupg but after removing the keys from there the previously enter name and email still persists.

    Does anyone know which config file these details are generated from?

    submitted by /u/subject2terms
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with boot issues

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:44 PM PST

    I constantly have to do a boot-repair on my system because sometimes it won't boot. I'm trying to figure out what's causing this.

    Here's the boot-repair report before I repair grub.

    I need help because I'm still trying to learn Linux and I'm not sure what I should be looking for to resolve this.

    I have to tell you that Windows 10 was once istalled on my drive, but I scrapped everything to install the latest Linux Mint (tricia). I don't know if it could be related to the boot problem.

    submitted by /u/Cryptomancer_
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a better PDF reader for bookmarking

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:38 AM PST

    Hi, I'm looking for a PDF reader with better bookmarking than PDF++ or Atril (Is that right?) Document Viewer.

    The one thing I want to be able to do is name the bookmark. So far in the ones I've tried I only get a page number and I can't edit it. I use a lot of manuals and it would be nice so I can just jump to a certain page number. Any ideas? AM I missing some option where I can edit the bookmark name?

    submitted by /u/fonixzen
    [link] [comments]

    Debian 9 - When will be HDMI detected during startup?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:26 AM PST

    Who or what detects my external monitor plugged into my graphic card during system boot?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Pegasus1985
    [link] [comments]

    One of my key mapping is not correct, need help

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:03 AM PST

    Hi here,

    Let me explain my problem. I'm running Arch Linux on my laptop, installation went well, loving so far. I had a problem with my computer while on Windows 10, my key for "less than, greater than, and backslash (<, > and \)" was assign to "ctrl button". I user a software to change the mapping in the registery and everything was working again.

    I decided to switch to linux but my key is back again as a ctrl key. Is there a software that I can use to change it again to the right key mapping. (I'm using fr_CH layout, qwertz)

    If you need those infos, I'm using Plasma as my DE and Kwin as my WM. Here's my neofetch

    Thanks a lot for your replies.

    submitted by /u/Oscorh
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a Bash script to extract the list of current matches and runs from cricbuzz.com using Regular Expressions.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:09 AM PST

    Just for fun, I wrote this small Bash script which uses Regular Expression to extract current matches and their respective runs from the cricbuzz.com website. I just wrote this for fun as I love to tackle problems related to RegEx and it was challenging for me to extract "RUNS" out from the HTML source code.

    Github:- cricbuzz

    Any suggestions/criticism/feedback?

    submitted by /u/iamnihal_
    [link] [comments]

    Set multiple desktop backgrounds for Mate?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:23 AM PST

    after i switched from windows i had 25+ picturse in a "wallpaper" folder that i used, and every 30 minutes it switches to a new one

    in gnome there's an extension that allows you to do just that but mate doesn't seem to have that option

    any help? thanks

    submitted by /u/-kousor
    [link] [comments]

    I installed Ubuntu on my laptop. The battery life is so less than of windows 10 that i used earlier. Tried tlp but didn't see any improvement. What should i do it drains from full to 16 in just 20 mins !

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Change the Dock in Gnome

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:25 AM PST

    What is wrong with this batch script?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:02 AM PST

    I keep getting the following error: "line 34: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

    Which is weird because I use sublime text and it only counts 33 lines of code...

    #!/bin/bash

    #!/usr/env python

    if [[ $# == 0 ]];

    then

    echo "Usage: $0 <scheme1 \[scheme2\] ...>"

    exit 1

    endif

    for arg in $@;

    do

    echo arg $arg

    done

    while [[ $# > 0 ]]

    do

    echo $1

    shift

    done

    echo "OK"

    exit 1

    submitted by /u/Manacube
    [link] [comments]

    Can i install and run programs from inside chroot directory?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:54 AM PST

    I want to run different versions of Firefox and Kodi. Can i create chroot directories and install and run the different versions of the programs from this directories?

    submitted by /u/evolution800
    [link] [comments]

    Arch KDE, just stuck on loading into system after login.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:43 AM PST

    Hey, Just installed Arch and after I'm logging in it stuck on loading or loading don't even shows ( I think it just stuck after some time). Also when I'm trying to switch to any another tty it stuck on KDE login screen and it just freezes. So what I should do? (Also I have laptop with dual gpu, just saying if the problem with video driver) Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JustGuy1337
    [link] [comments]

    Wanna start learning linux for sys admin

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:05 PM PST

    Hey guys, i wanna start learning linux for sys admin cloud computing so can you help me where i should start from cause i have no idea. I have a mac and do use its terminal but i know its not the same and have an old windows laptop. So how should i start to learn and should i install some distro in the other laptop? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Indian_Pirate
    [link] [comments]

    I tried to install Zorin on my pc and this happened what does it mean?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:05 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel