• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, February 13, 2020

    Linux Compress and decompress files in parallel in Linux using Pigz. Pigz does what gzip does, but it spreads the work over multiple processors and cores when compressing and speed up the compression/decompression process significantly.

    Linux Compress and decompress files in parallel in Linux using Pigz. Pigz does what gzip does, but it spreads the work over multiple processors and cores when compressing and speed up the compression/decompression process significantly.


    Compress and decompress files in parallel in Linux using Pigz. Pigz does what gzip does, but it spreads the work over multiple processors and cores when compressing and speed up the compression/decompression process significantly.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 12:59 AM PST

    Files and foldes become read only. Please help..

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:31 AM PST

    What exactly is system d, and why does everyone hate it?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:54 PM PST

    I'm only like 2 weeks in on Linux so far (manjaro KDE), but I'm the kind of guy to just end up watching yt vids talking about stuff above my level all the time, partly because I get to see cool stuff that I may want to try later when I know way more, but also to try and get a passing familiarity with various terms and ideas etc etc, so that later on when I get better and more familiar, I can be like "oh yeah this is that thing that people were saying x about". One thing I see brought sometimes is the "hate on system d" and stuff on that, but I ofc never really see an explanation of system d in simple terms. It kind of goes above my head, but what I have understood is that according to the anti system d crowd, system d is a central point of failure. But how exactly? ELI5, what is system d in Linux and what is the exact problem with it? If it's as bad as people are trying to say, then why do so many of the big distros use it?

    submitted by /u/TriPolarBear12
    [link] [comments]

    What is the difference between sudo shred -n 2 -z -v /dev/sda and sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX ?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 12:24 PM PST

    I was zeroing my HDD and found these two command line tools, so I was wondering if there is any significant difference between them or if they're essentially two different tools to do the same job (like choosing between a Philips and a Torx screw to fix a table).

    submitted by /u/bobmonofree
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop is quite hot

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:03 AM PST

    I installed KDE Neon a few days ago and the thermal issues are kind of ruining the experience.

    The CPU is ~95 degrees which probably isn't the greatest for my CPU and it's very uncomfortable to use it due to the temperature.

    I have tried using Power save because I thought that it would reduce the heat but it didn't. I tried to use TLP but it didn't help a lot. I also tried cpufrequtils and setting the upper limit to 3Ghz (from 4.1 Ghz which was the factory default). This was just ignored and the CPU was still around 95 degrees and at 3.8Ghz.

    I'm guessing the following: When I use the "sensors" command it shows that 100 degrees is seen as high / critical so it's probably boosting while trying to stay under the 100 degrees limit.

    What am I supposed to do to solve this?

    submitted by /u/QazCetelic
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from Windows 10 to Manjaro

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:32 AM PST

    I am about to do as I stated in the title, and dont have much experience on Linux based systems. I have worked on Ubuntu before, but only once tried to install it in my computer (which went horribly btw). Currently, I have a HDD for general storage (media, programs, misc) and a SSD for system. I don't have issues with wiping clean my SSD for Linux, but my question is regarding the HDD: will Manjaro be able to read it properly? Should I format it some kind of way? Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/yaminme
    [link] [comments]

    Different ways to set up docker containers

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 01:42 PM PST

    Hi,

    What is the difference between entering a command

    sudo docker run -d {environmental variables} {name of docker image}

    and something like this (particular example for sonnarr):

    docker create \

    --name=sonarr \

    -e PUID=1000 \

    -e PGID=1000 \

    -e TZ=Europe/London \

    -e UMASK_SET=022#optional\

    -p 8989:8989 \

    -v path to data:/config \

    -v path/to/tvseries:/tv \

    -v path/to/downloadclient-downloads:/downloads \

    --restart unless-stopped \

    linuxserver/sonarr

    Is there any difference between running the latter command or just entering all those parameters in one line? Do they both create the same docker image?

    And if I stop the created container, with both of these methods to set it up, will I need to enter all those parameters every time I restart the container, or can I just run sudo docker run -d {docker image name} and the previously entered parameters will apply?

    thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/lyadavy
    [link] [comments]

    Apt installing snap packages

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:39 AM PST

    I just used apt to install chromium and it automatically installed the snap package. Is this normal?

    submitted by /u/retard_seasoning
    [link] [comments]

    Making a bootable ubuntu installation partition on external HDD

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 01:26 PM PST

    I want to make a partition on an external usb hdd bootable with ubuntu installation iso. Is it possible? Tried searching google but didn't find anything.

    submitted by /u/sixline00
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make my logitech g920 steering wheel feel "heavier"?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:39 AM PST

    After some time I've finally made my logitech g920 work by downloading the Windows 10 drivers for Windows. But there's still one problem I need to solve, the sensibility(I believe that's what makes the wheel feel heavier/lighter if not correct me) is too light, it feels like I'm holding a feather and it's super hard to control, is there any way I can make it feel heavier?

    submitted by /u/romanoum004
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy question

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:36 AM PST

    I just installed Linux on an old laptop. It's so far been an amazing experience, I'm really feeling the light OS! However, there's another thing I'm curious about in the Linux realm, namely privacy.

    If I were to have a dark side that wanted to become completely, totally invisible and impossible to connect to me in any fashion, what Linux would that proverbial Mr. Hyde use? Asking for a friend.

    submitted by /u/8Dataman8
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know who to report this too

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:14 AM PST

    I'm running arch on my lenovo laptop and tried to play a game through proton and my system completely froze, I couldn't even change tty. I don't really know enough to know what happened but I know this is where in the journal it started.

    submitted by /u/Secret300
    [link] [comments]

    A program says it is best optimised for Ubuntu specifically. Will it make a difference using an Ubuntu based distro such as Linux Mint?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 12:44 PM PST

    I have some programs I need to use for my work, which are fine on windows but I want to use on linux in the future. I am deciding on a distro to use and they state that their linux versions are optimised for Ubuntu or CentOS. I am not that keen on the stock Ubuntu however I quite like Mint so I was wondering if since mint runs on Ubuntu, will it be just as stable as running on stock Ubuntu or would it be just as different as using say MX linux, which is Debian based?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Bran04don
    [link] [comments]

    Will Linux work for me??? HW description BELOW!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:53 AM PST

    Hello.

    I want to try Linux. Will it be compatible with my notebook HP with AMD A8-6410 Radeon APU Graphics? I am total tech caveman, so don´t bash me please. :D :D

    Also when I am trying <insert distro here> live USB enviroment, font smoothing is little bit worse than on Windows. And Calibri font looks downright awful. :D Is it because graphics drivers?

    Thanks for the answers. :D

    submitted by /u/shadowmaker1888
    [link] [comments]

    Make your own VPN under 30 sec

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:58 AM PST

    Hello,

    Its that time of the year again, need some feedback on my WireGuard Installer, after almost 800+ revisions

    https://github.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-install

    Star, Sponsors, Fork, Follow is not mandatory but is much appreciated.

    - Prajwal

    submitted by /u/prajwalkoirala23
    [link] [comments]

    No input of mouse/keyboard after installing packages please help.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:08 AM PST

    I was trying to learn to RDP into my Ubuntu machine from my Windows 10 machine and destroyed my Ubuntu pretty good.

    I ran these commands:

    sudo apt update sudo apt install xrdp sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core sudo apt-get install xorgxrdp 

    I tried to log out to connect from win10 and it locked up on logout attempt.
    So I hit the reset button on the case and was met with my login screen and no input working.
    My mouse, keyboard, graphics tablet, and thumbpad remote thingy do not work.
    The mouse and graphics tablet light up but keyboard lights do not.

    Input works in the BIOS so it isnt my peripherals

    I am unable to do anything except stare at my login screen. Is there a way to fix this from Grub screen? I got into GRUB command line

    it says GNU GRUB vers. 2.02

    Can someone please help me save my system? Thank you so much

    submitted by /u/Lexi5Rex
    [link] [comments]

    XPS downgrading BIOS

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:50 AM PST

    Couple of questions actually.

    I have a Dell XPS 9570 with nvidia 1050 ti Q.

    If I remember correctly, before attempting to install Pop_OS I was on BIOS version 1.3.1. Then I attempted to install pop_os, messed up somewhere, ended up having to make a windows boot drive on my desktop. Restored the laptop, and apparently this updated the bios to 1.8.1. Now I'm having the constant on and off problem with the fans that everyone has with this BIOS version.

    So my question is, can I revert back to an earlier BIOS? From what I've read, the fan problems started after bios 1.5. If I revert back, will that affect my Pop_os install at all or my windows partition?

    For more context, I have windows still installed on a partition of the internal hard drive and the linux install on another partition. The only way I could get the laptop to read the USB for linux install was to set boot option to Legacy Option ROMs. Turn off raid and set it to AHCI. Secure boot is off.

    Tried that bios setup but was getting errors during install of pop_os. So then I switched secure boot mode to audit mode instead of deployed mode. This allowed me to install pop_os correctly. Runs great other than the fan issue with the bios.

    I'm not sure which bios setting I would have to change to be able to boot back to Windows. When I f12 to boot options and select the nvme partition with windows on it it just takes me to dell pre-boot system check which tells me it can't find a bootable image. I tried switching some of the bios settings back to try and boot windows to no avail.

    I'm almost willing to just delete windows and run completely pop_os as i just use the laptop for homework, java programming, and light casual use (movies, web browsing), desktop is used for everything else. Doing so would just leave me with the bios problem instead of both bios problem and not being able to dual boot correctly.

    Any questions let me know. I know it's hard to follow, I apologize, i just woke up.

    submitted by /u/c_lushh
    [link] [comments]

    How to set which tab arguments

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:31 AM PST

    I am trying to alias unzip to this

    alias unzip='__unzip () { if [ "${1: -4}" == ".zip" ]; then \unzip "${1}"; elif [ "${1: -3}" == ".gz" ]; then tar -xf "${1}"; else echo "Must be a zip or a tar file"; fi }; __unzip'

    and for some reason it works but I can't tab tar files, only other files. How can I fix this?

    submitted by /u/ajgrinds
    [link] [comments]

    • What are the pros and cons of separating /home from the rest of the system in another partition?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:21 AM PST

    I've been trying Manjaro KDE for a few weeks and decided I'll use it as my main and only system.

    My setup is a laptop with a 120 GB SSD and a 500 GB HDD. The SSD will be used for the system and further installed software, while the HDD will be used to store my files.

    If I decide to keep /home apart from the rest of the system what to you think is best to do - to just move it to another partition in the SSD or to move it to the HDD?

    submitted by /u/bobmonofree
    [link] [comments]

    How do you automatically connect to a Bluetooth speaker in Kubuntu 18.04?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 03:30 AM PST

    I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a working way to do this. Why isn't there a simple option in the System Settings under Bluetooth that says "automatically connect to this device"?

    submitted by /u/mr_bigmouth_502
    [link] [comments]

    Why is partition size less than specified?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 02:38 AM PST

    Hey,

    When using fdisk to partition a disk, when asked for first sector I specified the default (first sector) and when asked for last sector I specified +16G. It then said I new partition of 14.9GB had been created.

    Why 14.9 instead of 16? Where did the 1.1 go?

    submitted by /u/greenleafvolatile
    [link] [comments]

    Grep two words simaltaneously in linux

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:11 AM PST

    Can you please help to share the grep command with options and format to grep two words at a time?

    Result what i expect is "consider one and two are 2 words. word "two" comes in a sentence after word "one". So the output should be sentence with word "one", followed by sentence with word "two".

    submitted by /u/raviivar478
    [link] [comments]

    Turning Linux laptop into Windows/Linux Dual-Boot

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:50 AM PST

    At work we have a Thinkpad T450 with Kali Linux installed on it (I'm a pentester). We normally just use Kali VMs on our main laptops, but we had this Thinkpad going spare and decided to install Kali directly onto it, just in case it comes in useful. However, at the moment we actually need another Windows laptop, so I need to either turn this laptop into a Kali/Windows dual-boot machine (my preferred option), or back into a Windows machine (which seems like a shame!).

    I don't know much about dual-boot setups, I've never had one. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's easier/better to install Windows first and then Linux. That may or may not be accurate, just keep me right if not. But on that basis, my plan is to install Windows over Kali (it's ok if we lose the current Kali install) and then re-install Kali alongside Windows. I booted from a Windows 10 installer, and found that I'm not able to install Windows to either of the existing partitions due to them not being NTFS. The option to format is greyed out. See picture.

    I'm not sure about what to do now, given that there are two partitions. I'd expect there to be two; that matches what I see in GParted from inside Kali (picture - the censoring is just to hide my company's name). But do I have to merge them, or delete one, and then format it/them before installing Windows? And how would I do the formatting, if I can't do it from the Windows installer? Do I even need to install Windows over the existing Kali and then re-install Kali, or could I just split the bigger of the two existing partitions into two, format the "new half" to NTFS, and install Windows on there? Bit out of my depth - any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/work4168
    [link] [comments]

    Korg Nanokontrol2

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:08 AM PST

    Hello,

    Normally i use my Korg nanokontrol2 (this is a midi controller with a USB connection) on my Windows machine to control each application his volume. I do this via this program: https://www.actualsolution.com/power-mixer/

    This is a video on how to set it up on Windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t16CMLcmeIc

    I can set a random application like spotify on 1 slider to control it.

    Is there a way to control each application his volume via the korg nanokontrol2 on Linux? I am willing to try linux but only this problem is holding me on Windows.

    I hope someone has a solution for me :)

    PS: English is not my native language so sorry for my bad English.

    submitted by /u/leonvsc
    [link] [comments]

    Strange output from grep

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 11:57 PM PST

    I have number of files in a folder and if i run the command grep 'string' * -h -A 1 and export the output to a text file, when i open the file in some lines i see this [01;31m [K. What does it mean and why is happening?

    submitted by /u/evolution800
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel