• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, February 16, 2020

    IT Career Am I underpaid for desktop support

    IT Career Am I underpaid for desktop support


    Am I underpaid for desktop support

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 10:49 PM PST

    I just got offered a my first it job as a desktop support technician for 30 users. I will be the only it person in the office. They are offering $19 an hour.

    I only took this job for the experience but feel I am getting underpaid.

    Edit: The job is part time and no benefits. I live in Portland Oregon.

    submitted by /u/theroundbal
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know any career groups or IT career groups that are worth joining on LinkedIn?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:07 AM PST

    ^^

    Does anyone know any career groups or IT career groups that are worth joining on LinkedIn? Or even any good LinkedIn group sources?

    submitted by /u/jackbowls
    [link] [comments]

    IT Salary Purchasing Power

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 04:35 AM PST

    I am curious about the purchasing power of salaries now versus different periods in time, in regards to IT (Not that IT has been around for all that long, in the grand scheme of things). Should the industry start out making less, more, or is everyone right where they should be?

    1. What year did you start in the industry?
    2. What was your salary?
    3. Did you start in IT Support, System Administration, Development, etc... ?
    4. What level of education did you have when you started?
    5. If you'd like, it may be helpful to know what industry you were in. Medical. Real estate, Education, Big Tech, Oil/Gas, and so on. (Optional)

    Here is a link to a google form if you're interested. I'm not affiliated with anyone, I'm not employed at the moment, I genuinely want to see and share what the data says. If this is popular and has any interesting results, I will attempt to obtain data for other professions as well.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/tdudley22
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with irate support calls from pissed off users.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 07:48 AM PST

    I would like to try and make a thread that can go over some ways to handle irate or otherwise just angry users.

    I work in a law firm and some of the users can literally go 0-1000 in 15 seconds with screaming, yelling, and cursing over very small things.

    For example, I'm tier 3 support/sys admin for my company, we have a user in California who everytime she calls, loses her mind over the smallest inconveniences. Reference the above paragraph. Our lower level support has been instructed to NOT answer the phone for her and it immediately gets pushed to me.

    What I'm trying to get to here is this; what are your methods of calming down angry users who are angry for little to no reason? How do you calm then down? I think it'd be good to get a thread going on the best ways to handle something of this nature, as in our fields it can be very prevalent.

    submitted by /u/Nymphohippo
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Study tips?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 07:32 AM PST

    Hey Guys. I'm still new to IT and just recently passed the A+ and Network+ from compTIA. Now I've been offered a job that starts in a few weeks as an internal Tier 1 IT Support Engineer. They are heavy on Windows 365 and Azure. To familiarise myself with the Microsoft product suite, I am looking to take the Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate exams MD-100 and MD-101. Just wondering if any of you have taken these and if they are harder than the CompTIA exams and what you used as study material. For studying I am currently using: Pluralsight videos, Microsoft Learn's free videos and the Exam Ref:MD-100 and MD-101 books which I believe are the officially microsoft ones. Any tips? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ravmIT
    [link] [comments]

    I have an interview for an entry level Network Admin Job in two weeks. Any Advice on what to study?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    I don't have a lot of experience, but I do have a CCNA and a little bit of information from the job posting. However, I would still would feel more confident if I could study.

    submitted by /u/baronvonreddit1
    [link] [comments]

    Salary vs Benefits?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:44 AM PST

    I am greatly underpaid but my job has good benefits, should I stay longer and see where it takes me or get out?

    Some backstory: I'm 23 and I graduated with my BBA in CIS in December 2017, got my first professional job as a business analyst for a financial company in July 2018 and have been working there since. I also started a MBA program and will be graduating in May. My goal is to work my way up the IT management chain.

    Pros: I am given 22 days of PTO on 01/01 (get 1 day added each year) and can use them whenever I want, I'm not micromanaged at all and my manager is very supportive, I have 1 work from home day and can always work from home if I need to, yearly salary raises and bonuses, insurance is pretty cheap, and finally I'm very good at my job.

    Cons: I just received my salary increase for 2020 ($1,700) and I'm now making $38K, I started at $32K.

    According to google the average salary for my location is $54K. I make enough money to make ends meet but not enough to ever buy a new car or house or anything I hope to do in the near future. I know I'm young and will only have two years of professional experience in July but I feel that as someone who will have their masters in May I should be making way more.

    TL;DR Should I risk great company culture and benefits to find a job that pays more?

    submitted by /u/RecklessBrandon
    [link] [comments]

    About to Start my first job in the IT field

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:01 AM PST

    I just landed my first IT job as a Network Analysis Technician. I don't have any work experience in IT before this but I do have certs. I'm pretty nervous and was wondering if anyone knew of any stuff I could learn before starting this job to help me calm my nerves and feel more prepared

    submitted by /u/meloddo
    [link] [comments]

    Getting into IT, how important is having higher education and internships?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:52 AM PST

    Hey r/ITCareerQuestions,

    I'm a developer. I actually have a Masters of Science of Information Technology (specialized in software engineering). When I was looking for my first job, seemingly no one cared about my education, yet I was constantly asked about demonstrable experience (projects, portfolio, etc.).

    I have a family member who has been running a business for ~10 years. Unfortunately, this is coming to an end, and he's now looking to break into a new career.

    He's actually interested in IT. So my question is: Is IT trending in the same way as software engineering, eg. education is losing importance and skills is everything? Or, is a degree and internship required to break into the field?

    submitted by /u/aScottishBoat
    [link] [comments]

    going online with my java academy

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:28 AM PST

    hello everyone.

    i have been running my own java academy for 4 years now both at my job (with students close to graduation and employees who want to switch careers) and at the university with juniors and i feel like i am doing pretty well since i see that i am able to make them actually love this and make it feel like it is actually fun.

    i really like when they come at the end of the course and ask questions that clearly prove they are paying attention to what i am rumbling there.

    at my last run at the university, 7 out of 22 got into internships and the last one done at my workplace, 9 out of 19 got positions (both at my company and others in town). there is a big difference in the two "worlds". for example, at workplace, there is an imposed seriousness and "professional" attitude/behavior in contrast with the university, where there is clearly a more chill and relaxed course. i can talk hours about this but in the end i like them both, with their pros and cons.

    i decided to try and do this online and test the "formula" i applied in the sessions i mentioned above. so, if you are, or know someone who wants to become a java developer please let me know. no prior experience/knowledge/degree/etc is required.

    i want to say upfront that there is a selection process (you can call it a mini-interview) where i check some of your skills that i think are relevant and key ingredients to a smoother journey.

    submitted by /u/FIREINMYVEINS_
    [link] [comments]

    How old is too old to job hop?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:14 AM PST

    I am 42 and have been in the field for over 20 years and at the same job for 15 (I know, I know). I had two previous jobs before this. The current job pays ok but is not lucrative and I am not sure that I'm compensated proportionately to my skillset. There is no point in posting salary since cost of living varies so much in not only the US but the world. The gig has been stable and I live in a low COL area so it has worked out for the most part.

    Being raised in a blue collar area (where people would hold jobs for decades), buying a house in an exurb, and working through a couple of recessions (including the Great Recession), I guess I'm more risk averse than those who started working over the past 10-12 years or so.

    If I were to do it all over again, I would do the job hopping thing and move around to different cities. Is 40 something too late to do something like this now? Or am I pretty much destined to stay where I'm at? I have interviewed at various places in the area in the recent past and haven't found a good fit so moving on would likely require moving to a new area.

    submitted by /u/ralph8521
    [link] [comments]

    Callcenters

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:07 AM PST

    Might potentially get a job offer at a company that would involve me doing support dealing with networking issues, email/spam filters, firewalls, and etc. It's what i need experience in anyway because network engineering/network administrator is my goal and I've been doing desktop support, help tickets, and windows 7 to windows 10 migrations close to a year now. Only concern i have is it is working at a callcenter which i have never worked in before. to some people i know they don't mind working in a callcenter, but i've seen some friends and colleagues completely miserable from it. I guess my question is for those who have experience working in callcenters what are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Signaturezero
    [link] [comments]

    Landed my first interview for a Junior IT support position, any tips/advice?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 06:05 AM PST

    From the sound of it the interview wont be too technical, more just about my previous experience, how I'am as a person etc so any tips/advice welcome!

    submitted by /u/DomOnRs
    [link] [comments]

    Switching jobs and taking a pay cut for the experience

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:48 AM PST

    Hi all and thank you for reading. Quick background on myself - location Iowa.

    Full-time employed doing contract application support. The contract is continuing to be extended year over year. I'm also a full-time student, bachelor's in IT, majoring in cloud & systems administration.

    Pros of my current job:

    • 100% remote. I roll out of bed and log on. There's a lot that goes into this, including mileage saved on my car, gas, lunch, time saved driving, etc.
    • 120 hours of PTO every year, accumulating 10 hours a month (low?)
    • unlimited unpaid time off
    • I make a pretty good salary. Currently $32.55 an hour, with some overtime available at time and a half. I actually started at $35 an hour + monthly stipend, however they decreased everyone's pay across the board. Last year I made almost 68k, however this has been decreasing with the cost of my insurance going up.

    Cons:

    • no upward mobility to grow into another role or opportunity
    • no raises
    • no performance reviews
    • no 401k match
    • expensive insurance
    • no real building of skills. I'm only troubleshooting or learning a single product, that most companies use, however I'm wearing a single hat.
    • terrible management
    • work all holidays without holiday pay
    • it's a contract position

    I hold A+ and Net+ certs, so I interviewed for a network admin position this weekend at a large company that is using third-party helpdesk support that they want to now internalize due to their growth. The interview was with their network manager, so it wasn't an HR interview. I did very good.

    With that being said, I have no network admin experience and he knew it. At the end of interview, he said a level 2 helpdesk position would be perfect for me, and based off my performance within 3 months could move into the network admin role or something else, depending on what I find out that I like.

    Is making this career move into internal IT helpdesk the best thing for me right now?

    In my area, I'm not sure of the differences in salary between level 1 and 2 helpdesk, but it's likely between $20-$24 an hour. I'm looking at a possible 18k pay cut just by accepting the position. The absolute lowest I want is $60k. I'll also be driving daily now, but will have better benefits, 401k match and that means a lot to me.

    Should I get in and get experience and take the cut or hold out until I'm finished with school and the rest of my certifications and look afterwards for something that isn't a giant pay cut?

    Thanks again for reading!

    submitted by /u/p90mc
    [link] [comments]

    European, Made a career switch to IT, feasibility of moving to the USA?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:49 AM PST

    I'm not that young anymore, I'm 35 and two months ago I finally made a long coming career switch to IT. I used to work in logistics (anything from blue collar warehouse work to white collar cargo surveys) but I've been an avid linux lover since I was 15, I've finally landed a job in Italy at an IT consulting firm. We basically do complex linux setup for our customers, anything from VoIP to firewalls to virtualization environment setup and maintenance.

    I'm a very bad developer but apparently I'm told I'm quite good at networking and troubleshooting linux.

    Eventually I'm gonna have to get a RHCE certification and we're gonna start deploying OpenShift and I'm expected to get good at that.

    I plan to stay at this company long term, but I also always loved the US and I'm always keeping an eye out to maybe fulfill my dream of moving there.

    Would those skills be required in the US and do you guys think I could find a job in the US that provides a pathway to permanent residency with such skills? Any advice as to how could I go about doing that?

    Edit: I forgot to mention that I have no university degree at all

    submitted by /u/anthabit
    [link] [comments]

    Employers: Question for you

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 03:02 AM PST

    Which programming language to use for competitive problem solving and face-to-face interviews?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 08:48 PM PST

    I am programming in Python 3 for almost 1.5 years now and quite good with it. But I've read many articles that Python is slow and is not appreciated to be used in competitive problem-solving. And most of the companies do not appreciate python to be used while explaining stuff to them.

    I know a bit of Java which I learned like 1 year ago and some of C++ from my high school. I mentioned these two languages because I've heard these could be used for this purpose from many people. So, which programming language would you suggest me to learn. [ You can also suggest other languages than C++ and Java ]

    Thanks in advance...

    submitted by /u/DvelDeveloper
    [link] [comments]

    I got a job im VERY underqualified for, at least I think. Advice?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 04:31 PM PST

    TLDR at the bottom.

    I have an associates in computer science, I've built my own PC twice, and have a fair amount of basic knowledge regarding how a lot of tech things work on a general level.. and that's about the extent of my qualifications for anything computer related. My ultimate goal is to acquire a position in Infosec.

    Well while putting in my resume at all the low level IT positions and basically anything computer related, One of which being a systems administrator for a school district. Sure enough, a few days later the california school district sent me an email for an interview that hosted a server for 2 online schools, and 4 brick and mortar schools. Cool. Ill go in, get some interview experience and keep my expecations low.

    Well, I start tomorrow. They liked me in the interview, didnt ask me any technical questions, and gave me one simple trial involving a DNS error which I literally just googled the error, did what the website said, and passed the trial. Afterwards they told me that I was one of two Sysadmins for the entire district. No team under us. just 2 of us for 6 schools.

    Im obviously stressed now. I have confidence I can handle basic "change my password" and "My computer cant connect to the internet" issues. But i've never seen the inside of a server room. I've got little to no clue how to build a network from the ground up. Hell I google EVERY issue that pops up on my home network.I want to stress I did not lie on my resume at all, I told them my inexperience in the interview, even explicitly stating my knowledge was mostly book knowledge, and I've never put it into practice. For right now, I plan to go in and just try not to burn everything down. Learn as much as I can, and hope that my "thrown in the deep end" approach works out in the end.

    TLDR Got an awesome paying, Sysadmin job that im underqualified for, and only applied to as a sort of hail mary attempt at skipping the entrance IT desk level positions. I dont have a team to work with, Its me and one other guy taking care of everything for 6 schools. Advice?

    submitted by /u/Hogsqueezer99
    [link] [comments]

    Upcoming IT Support interview, what to expect and best preparation?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Should be 2 stage interview, behavioral (which I'm not too worried about) and a technical one (involves basic scripting skills!)

    What's the best way to prepare for this, especially the technical stage? Can someone learn some basic scripting stuff in about 2 days?

    Your help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/duhok1
    [link] [comments]

    Career beginner tips? Life of a IT trainee

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 07:26 PM PST

    So I have been studying a qualification in networking and just landed a job as a trainee, where I can finish my studies part time and work part time. It is an entry level role but I feel I should be knowing more things for my new job. The guys I work with are supportive and helpful but I know that my work will get harder so I'll need to know more soon. I'm trying to stay positive and learn as much as I can but I don't want to be seen as not knowing things.

    Has anyone had experiences starting off in your career? Maybe as an intern or a trainee like I am?

    submitted by /u/_jm_throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Having no experience in the industry and looking for help desk job, how do you go about applying for these jobs and where have you had success looking for postings?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 12:55 PM PST

    I'm new to the industry wanting to make a change and looking for help desk job or something entry level to get my foot in the door and my question is 2 parts

    1. I have no actual work experience with computers but as a hobby there are projects I have completed and potentially could document but than how do I go about showing a potential employer like on my resume or wait till the interview or a combo thereof ? And would this even be advantageous in getting a computer job? How do I go about applying do get a interview? I am good in interview settings, I have a hard time with the application process and once I'm in the interview should I be prepared to document projects I have completed? Show code I have written? How do I get the interview with the no work experience?

    2. Where are good places to apply, I was Craigslist very excited about a job posting and as I go to reply to it the reply pop up showed the email address of the person posting the job unencrypted and sure enough it's just some temp agency and not the tech company being described in the poster, which was really deflating.

    Sorry guys that kind of turned into a rant in places I hope the general questions I'm looking to get answered are clear and any advice or help you guys have would be really appreciated thanks

    submitted by /u/pmac1687
    [link] [comments]

    Programs to start a career in IT, or general advice needed

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 04:26 PM PST

    Hey Reddit community,

    I have a family member who, due to circumstances, needs to make a career change. He's interested in IT but neither of us know how to break into this field. I know about Google's IT Professional Certificates program, but I am not familiar with others like it.

    I'm looking for a program that when finished will prepare students to seek entry-level jobs in IT. Do you have any recommendations of programs, tips and general advice?

    My family member has a pretty rough life and has never had the ability to finish school cause he has always been taking care of family. I really want to help him with this.

    Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/aScottishBoat
    [link] [comments]

    Zero experience w/ CCNA R&S and RHCSA to IT job?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 04:05 PM PST

    Hi Reddit community,

    Lets just say I know someone that knows someone that may or may not have their CCNA R&S and is going for their RHCSA. They have little tech support experience and want to get into the IT field......

    On a scale of 1 -10... what are their chances of being considered a strong candidate for an entry level job in the IT field??

    (1= terrible ) (10= They got the job).

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Grand-Target
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel