• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, February 8, 2020

    Home Networking My Router passed away last night.

    Home Networking My Router passed away last night.


    My Router passed away last night.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:22 PM PST

    Pretty devastated. Would appreciate your condolences

    submitted by /u/candymaxie
    [link] [comments]

    Absolutely at my wits' end. Spent hours and hours researching and tinkering to no avail. Please help! (Random ping spikes w/ good internet when gaming. Possible double NAT issue?)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 07:30 PM PST

    I am not a computer science/networking guy, but the last week I have spent more time reading articles and watching youtube videos then I ever would have imagined. I have read other people's accounts of similar issues and tried dozens of fixes that seemed to work for other people. I am beyond frustrated, I feel like this has got to be fixable. Reaching out here is my last attempt before I just find someone I can pay to fix it for me.

    Last week we switched to a new ISP and bought a new router, since we were renting our old one. The new internet is perfect for everything except online gaming. My wife and I can stream videos on multiple devices no problem, I can browse the internet faster than ever, but if I play an online computer game I have intermittent ping spikes that make anything unplayable. In game my ping will be perfect (at 35 or so) and then every few minutes it will shoot up to 300+ and say "packet loss" and then go back to being perfect. On my old ISP I would have occasional lag, but nothing like this.

    My new ISP installed a dish on my roof and I have an ethernet cord that comes through the wall and plugs into a power supply for the antenna, and from there a different ethernet cord plugs into the WAN port of my router. My PC is connected to the router via ethernet.

    My router is TP-Link AC1750 and its firmware is up to date. I have completely reset it twice. I have done a fresh re-install of Windows 10 on my PC. I bought a new ethernet cord to connect my PC to the router. PingPlotter used to show 5-10% packet loss on the first jump which I believe means the issue is somewhere between my PC and my router, HOWEVER for the last 4 days that I've run PingPlotter no packet loss is shown anywhere when I let it run. I still have the same issues when trying to play online games, and even if I have PingPlotter running in the background while playing the game and experiencing a ping spike and the "packet loss" icon will pop up in game, PingPlotter does not show packet loss anymore. I have tried multiple online games and they all seem to be the same problem.

    I do notice when running PingPlotter or when running a tracert command is that the first 4 jumps appear to be private IP addresses, then it shows a blank IP address on the 5th jump with 100% packet loss, then the 6th and 7th jump show private IP addresses again before a public IP address. I would screenshot this but I'm too stupid to know if this is private information I should keep secure or if it's all generic IP addresses, but I hope what I wrote makes sense.

    ANYWAY according to one article I read this could be a double NAT issue which I don't know how I could fix. My ISP says that the antenna power supply has a router built in and cannot be put into "bridge mode." I've been messing with the settings on my TP-Link router and nothing seems to fix the issue. If I disable NAT in my router settings I lose internet completely. I've been messing around with forwarding ports but nothing seems to work.

    I'm losing my mind. Please help me!

    submitted by /u/RATPLANT_
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use 2 isp for one computer

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    Hello, I would like to ask if it is doable to use one connection for streaming videos, music, etc. for the whole house and this computer and the second for this computer only but what would I want to do here is to use the first one for streaming videos, music, uploading files etc. and the second one just for online video games

    For some clarity the first internet connection is 4G/LTE with ping around 50-70 but the download speed is 300/3 mbps And the second one is wireless broadband with stable ping around 15-20 but download speed is 10/2 mbps

    submitted by /u/Sectorion
    [link] [comments]

    So today I went and got a pair of moca adapters

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:51 PM PST

    And I got home and hooked them up inside, gave em a good five minutes and they didn't seem to begin working.

    So I started tracing the cable lines from the inside to the outside, found the junction box and opened it, and every single cable had it's male connector lopped off and the place where the splitter would be was vacant. So I'd you're going to be trying moca on an unused coaxial network... I'd recommend checking the junction box first.

    So now I need to figure out how to attach male connectors to all of those and attach a jumper to the two cables I want to carry the moca signal and I have no idea what I'm doing.

    submitted by /u/Andromansis
    [link] [comments]

    Using a Docsis 3.0 rated Asus CM AC2600 for Docsis 3.1 service possible?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:37 PM PST

    I bought an Asus ac2600 when I was 200 mbps service and I have had great reception and results with said router.

    I found out Atlantic broadband offers 400/1 gbs service in my area but they require a 3.1 docsis router. I've read conflicting reports on my router being able to use the full service due to how the channel bonding works.

    Anyone have any advice for my situation. Dont really wanna drop another 200 on a router combo.

    submitted by /u/Mamula4MVP
    [link] [comments]

    Redoing Home Network - Looking to go to Ubiquiti - Advice if this will work...

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 10:45 AM PST

    Hello. After struggling with my current switch at home I've been looking for a replacement. After a lot of reading I am really interested in Ubiquiti's line of productions for their performance, features and especially the unified control/administration.

    Here's what I've sketched out. Am I missing anything or have things connected incorrectly?

    Thanks!

    [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/h8bo8TG.png)

    submitted by /u/vorpel88
    [link] [comments]

    What makes a good router ? Is there a reliable brand or is it more like ax>ac>n ?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:12 PM PST

    Should I compare the specifications from brand to brand OR model to model. Like we do with androids or desktop computers?

    Or is it more like iPhones, where all the routers are decent and free from issues. So, i should just buy the router which fits the budget?

    How does this whole WiFi router selection works ?

    Or is it more like a petty thing to even think about and just buy the latest available device in the market.

    submitted by /u/veekay19
    [link] [comments]

    Verizon Fios Quantum Router - How do i block a specific ip address?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:16 PM PST

    i have seen this question pop up a few times on this forum but it never gets answered, the topic always seems to spiral off into people suggesting why to not do it or alternatives.

    does anyone know how to do this or if it can be done at all?

    ps i do not want to use parental controls if possible. i am simply trying to use the firewall or some similar function to completely block all traffic from a specific ip.

    ty for any help!

    submitted by /u/phrostyphace
    [link] [comments]

    DHCP assigning same IP to different network interfaces

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:05 PM PST

    Hi. I have two MAC addresses which are consistently being assigned the same single IP. Both are from NIC interfaces inside the same speaker. One is for Ethernet and one is for WiFi. When the speaker gets a connection hiccup it tries to switch to a better connection and then drops out, presumably because of this duplicate IP problem. Do you think assigning separate static IP's to each network interface inside that speaker would help? I am using an AT&T BGW210 gateway and don't really want to mess with its DHCP if possible though. The speaker is a Samsung WAM-750. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Temoshee
    [link] [comments]

    Router/Modem suggestion for small apartment

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 03:31 PM PST

    Hi Reddit! I'm in the process of moving out of my parent's house (which means ditching their awful free modem/wifi 2-in-1 from their isp thank God) and am looking to buy something to use in my new home. My budget is around $150~ for both my router and modem. I'm currently studying computer networking in college so something that isn't restricted whatsoever or could be flashed would be super ideal. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/stubborntrap
    [link] [comments]

    What defines a public IP address?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:56 PM PST

    Saw a video explaining about NAT It says the private ip device contacts the private ip router, it then translates the private ip routers' ip to a public ip which goes to the target server. So my question is, is a public IP address the same in all devices in the LAN? Is the public IP address the routers'?

    submitted by /u/blue8ird
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do with my old ADSL Router?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 03:37 AM PST

    I'll be switching to a new router tomorrow but I was wondering if I could do anything with my D-link ADSL 2750U router that I've used for the past 5 years.

    I'm keeping it in case I need an AP in the future but is there anything else I can do with it?

    submitted by /u/jasonj2232
    [link] [comments]

    Network Speed

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:52 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I have recently updated my network speed from my ISP from 200Mb/s to 500. After the upgrade, my desktop only gets 200Mb/s. I called my ISP to verify my speed, we were both able to confirm 500 to my modem. My router, google home link can also confirm 500Mb/s.

    I have two switches between my router and my pc, a Dlink 1005G & a 1008G. My Modem connects to my router, router to the 1008G, 1008G to the 1005G and then to my PC. I was able to bypass everything and connect the modem right to the PC and get 500Mb/s.

    Everything is gigabit rated, and I'm using cat6 for every connection except from the 1005g to my pc it's using cat5e

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ecoh419
    [link] [comments]

    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 not properly communicating DHCP leases

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:38 AM PST

    I recently swapped a Mikrotik RB2011UiAS for the EdgeRouter 4 and for the most part it is working fine. However I noticed some clients have issues getting DHCP leases.

    I have 4 VLANS setup, a couple for servers, one for trusted clients, and one for random stuff. All traffic is also going through a Mikrotik CRS125-24-15 which is being used only as a layer 2 switch. There are no firewalls on the switch and all VLANs are properly configured. No changes have happened on the switch in over a year, the ER4 was added about a month ago.

    If I tcpdump the router I can see the DHCP DISCOVER get received and an OFFER get sent but it seems to not make it back to the clients. It does not matter if they are physical hosts or VMs. I even assigned a new port on the switch to one of the VLANs and noticed even it has issues.

    Not sure if its a misconfiguration on the router but I did use the official Ubiquiti KB for setting up DHCP servers and VLANs.

    Any thoughts what could be wrong? Right not there is only a firewall on the WAN interface of the ER4 so it shouldn't be affecting the traffic.

    submitted by /u/evitalis
    [link] [comments]

    I can't seem to make port forwarding work on my router

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    I have a ZTE Speedport Entry 2i router. I tried to set up port forwarding on it with no luck so far.

    https://portforward.com/zte/speedport-entry-2i/

    This is the guide I kind of used and this is the image I was particularly interested in.

    I started by giving my notebook a static ip (192.168.1.199) and it is working fine.

    Then went to set up port forwarding like this:

    Protocol: TCP and UDP WAN Connection: Internet_VDSL (this is the only option) WAN Host IP Range: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.1 LAN Host IP Address: 192.168.1.199 WAN Port Range: 23 - 23 LAN Host Port Range: 23 - 23 

    My goal is to forward all requests from any IP address on port 23 to my notebook's port 23.The settings are pretty self-explanatory except the "WAN Host IP Range", I have no idea what I'm supposed to write here (I wrote the IP address because it was in the guide above).I have an other router (Tenda) and it doesn't have this field.

    I tried to check if port forwarding worked on https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/, but it didn't.

    What am I doing wrong? Is there maybe something else I have to configure?

    submitted by /u/ftibi93
    [link] [comments]

    Can you critique my home diagram?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 07:20 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/LtaKRpw

    Please tell me what's wrong with my diagram or how to make it better.

    I don't know much about switches or patch panels. Ive been reading up the past couple of days. I'm renovating my house and would like to put ethernet cables in.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/calibloodzz
    [link] [comments]

    Need help setting up Ethernet upstairs

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:37 PM PST

    Hello. I just got this Cisco router and I am able to get it to work when the ethernet cable is connected to the modem directly but I can't get it to work upstairs where I already have an ethernet port routed, https://imgur.com/a/2SBG8Q9 in fact I'm not even sure if the Ethernet port upstairs even works (it came with the house). The same set of port in the picture upstairs are downstairs but the only difference is downstairs the coax is being used. Do I have to run a wire from the modem downstairs to the port downstairs for the ports upstairs to work?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/chrisisnotcheese
    [link] [comments]

    Any good ceiling mount AP's that propagate both directions?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:35 AM PST

    Trying to figure out if I can get away with a single, optimally placed AP (ceiling outside of office (dead center of house), vs two AP (not mesh) at opposite ends of the house. 2400 sqft w/basement, longish width. Current AP (archer c9) won't reach master bathroom (disaster!), but does the rest of the house decent-ish.

    I looked at the ubiquiti AC Lite and the TP Link 225 but my impression was that they were very directional.

    ETA: this would be on the main floor of the house. My concern would be the signal propagating to the upstairs.

    submitted by /u/jgold47
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know why only one out of my two MoCA adapters works if the other one is off?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:01 PM PST

    I have two TiVo boxes and two bonded Motorola 2.0 MoCA adaptors.

    Just bought the 2nd adapter today and found out only one will work if the other one is off.

    Obviously had both on but only one would established a link, if I turn that one off the other one kicks picks up the link

    One adapter is connected to my router the other is in a bedroom

    submitted by /u/EnemySoil
    [link] [comments]

    TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Wi-Fi speed drops to half

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:11 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I've had an issue with my Archer C7 v2 for a bit and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure it out. I pay for 200Mbit internet. Hardwired, I actually get 240Mbit (from Comcast, go figure...). If I reset my router, I can the full 240Mbit over 5Ghz no problem. However, if I check it again in an hour or two, it drops to 60-70Mbit. I'm thinking this is a hardware acceleration issue.

    Things I've tried:

    -Removing all other devices from my wireless network.
    -Flashing with LEDE and DD-WRT. This actually made the issue "permanent" on those firmwares, as hardware acceleration is not enabled for this router's chipset so I could never get over 70Mbit or so.
    -Trying different revisions of the official firmware.
    -Disabling 2.4Ghz completely.

    submitted by /u/conjure-official
    [link] [comments]

    Landline on FortiWiFi 30E

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:56 PM PST

    I am in Sydney region with Optus NBN, and I'm seeking advice on how to setup my landline phone to route through a Fortinet FortiWiFi 30E. I want to use a FortiWiFi to replace the Sagemcom router in my Original home setup (NBN Arris CM8200 modem and Optus supplied Sagem Gateway F@ST 3864AC).

    Currently I have the NBN Arris CM8200 modem + FortiWifi, with the Sagemcom connected to the FortiWifi with DHCP disabled to keep the landline functioning. The landline can make outbound calls but will only receive inbound calls within a short period of time after making an outbound call. The landline is connected to the Sagemcom though a standard 2-pin RJ11/12 cable. The RJ11/12 cable can plug in to the FortiWiFi's RJ45 port but the phone line isn't recognised while doing this.

    Can I apply specific settings on the FortiWiFi 30E or add an adapter/new cable to make this work without the Sagemcom router.

    submitted by /u/NewAnswer5
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Home going crazy...

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:30 PM PST

    So I have a lot of smart home devices connected through WiFi and a lot of other media devices connected to the same ASUS RT-AC88U. Recently my WiFi connected devices would drop from around 80 mbps download to less than 1 mbps. Weird thing is that it would happen at the same time every night. Anyways, after a lot of troubleshooting and switching between firmwares I think the 2.4ghz band of this router is going bad. All devices stay connected to 5ghz but can't even connect to 2.4 anymore.

    I need suggestions on what I should do. Keep using the AC88U as router/switch then buy an AP like EAP254 or AP AC Lite?

    Seems like I have to buy a new all in one every 2 years is it time to build a more robust network?

    Requirements: -I need at least 8 LAN ports for wired devices. -Willing to spend around $300 to make a system that can handle 40+ devices. -2000SF one floor home. -Somewhat easy interface for configuration -Need low latency for wired gaming -Will be building a shop later this year. I will run cable to the shop to add an AP to shop area. So, system needs to be expandable.

    Thanks for the help in advanced.

    submitted by /u/louisianashooter
    [link] [comments]

    A few questions about flat ethernet cable and cutting/crimping.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:43 AM PST

    So this is a pretty simple question. I'm a networking noob. I have this 50-foot spool of FLAT Cat6 ethernet cable that I took home from an office a while back. I'm wiring my apartment and basically just need to make 4 different lengths (10ft, 15ft, 5ft, 3ft) of ethernet cables out of it. They don't have to be that exact length but around that length.

    My friend also has a large spool of regular round (not flat like what I have) Cat5e cable with the crimping tool and a bunch of RJ45 Cat5e end connectors and was willing to bring that over and cut some up and help me wire everything.

    Basically a few quick questions.

    1. Are the flat cables any better or worse than the round? I'm getting mixed answers online. If I was buying new should I just go round?
    2. Do Cat5e end connectors work with Cat6? Are they the same?
    3. Is it easy to cut and crimp the FLAT cable down to different sizes? (I've read its a bit more difficult than regular round cables.)
    4. Is Cat6 worth it over Cat5e for an apartment (I can pay for speeds from 50-500Mbps up and down)
    5. Should I even bother cutting and crimping and making four cables out of one when cables are so cheap and just buy a bunch of different sized ones off amazon and call it a day?

    Thanks, everyone I appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/ExtraGloves
    [link] [comments]

    Modem > UM Switch > Router turned into AP

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:40 PM PST

    I have a Netgear gs108 unmanaged switch and a Linksys ea6100 wireless router. I would like to use the following network config going forward. So it would be wall to modem to switch to my router I'm going to turn into an AP. Is there an advantage to using this configuration as opposed to router to switch? I know I have to change the setting on the router to put it in bridge mode then set the IP far out in the range so it doesn't screw with other machine up assignments. Also, would it be better to flash the router to ddwrt or something else? How will the internal assignments be parsed out? If I have my server and my Xbox on the switch along with the router, how will the ips be assigned to anything coming out of switch? As far as I've understood it, the router is responsible for internal Network assignments, something the unmanaged switch wouldn't do?

    submitted by /u/throwawaytechthings
    [link] [comments]

    zyxel moca ethernet adapter and verizon quantum gateway router - won't stay connected

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:37 PM PST

    Current Setup:

    ONT -> Verizon Quantum Router -> coax splitter -> ActionTec MI424RW

    coax splitter -> Verizon Setup Box

    Current setup works. BUT with multiple devices connected to the ActionTec wirelessly and devices will start lagging. And the wired ethernet connection on the ActionTEC is flaky. So even though Roku and PS4 have wired options, I need to use the wireless connections to the ActionTEC. And plus the through put of the router just match what I can do in and out of the house with my verizon data plan, nor what I can do over MOCA.

    New Equipment:

    I bought a zyxel MOCA ethernet adapter and a TP Link ethernet router. I inserted the zyxel MOCA device between the splitter and the Setup BOX and connect the zyxel and the TP Link router together via ethernet cable.

    I gave the TP Link a static IP address distinct from the existing ActionTec, and made sure that IP is not the Quantum Gateways DHCP Pool. Intially it will work well. After 10 or so minutes the TP Link Router will WAN indicator will turn from green to orange. Lights on the Zyxel unit will all stay green.

    I've tried plugging the PS4 directly into the Zyxel, with using DHCP to get an IP address from the Quantum Router, and I get the same sort of issues. Will work for a few minutes and traffic will eventually stop.

    As I understand both the Verizon Quantum Router 1100 and the Zyxel MOCA adapter can both do MOCA 2.0.

    I have issues no matter if the ActionTec is on or off.

    Can anyone give some advice?

    submitted by /u/bitter_green
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel