• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020

    Home Networking How expensive is it to get ethernet ports installed in a house?

    Home Networking How expensive is it to get ethernet ports installed in a house?


    How expensive is it to get ethernet ports installed in a house?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:21 PM PST

    Thinking about doing about doing 2 ports for 3 rooms (upstairs master bath, family room and den downstairs). In CA, what do you think the cost would be to do something like this? ,

    submitted by /u/Mighty-Lu-Bu
    [link] [comments]

    Can I isolate a credit card terminal without VLAN?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:10 AM PST

    Is there any easy way to isolate our credit card terminal from the rest of the network without setting up a VLAN? (In order to achieve PCI compliance)

    I have a small business network with a Comcast router and switches that go to ports throughout the office. One of the ports is connected to our credit card terminal.

    If a VLAN is necessary, can it be done with a Comcast router or should I plan on buying something like the EdgeRouter X?

    Lastly, if a VLAN is necessary, what is a good tutorial or way to learn how to setup that up?

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/Ruvicaw
    [link] [comments]

    Eero is weird

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:00 PM PST

    First, I made this topic....

    https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/f1377u/why_can_i_not_disable_24ghz/

    Downvoted many times. Not that I care about the karma aspect but the principal of it; disagree with me sure but downvote me so it quickly fades off the front? Yes, I know disabling 2.4ghz is not that important, but I wouldn't agree it's unnecessary either, and I think I made a couple of decent points regardless of the ultimate situation. Couple that with the fact that the developer who frequently posts there seems lauded to a degree that's kind of silly and it's like their own little pet domain. It's actually really cool that a developer posts there, but if all they do is receive praise and tell anyone saying Eero isn't perfect that they are wrong while the devotees downvote them away that is a bit not cool. I encourage you to look over that sub and see how everyone who has a feature question or issue with their system gets subtly told off and downvoted. I mean I only asked about a feature that is virtually ubiquitous - silly me.

    Did a little more digging and found this.....

    https://community.eero.com/t/18t0sj/option-to-disable-2-4ghz-band-force-all-wifi-communication-over-5ghz

    Ok, so I'm not the only one who wants this. A fair bit of people want this.

    Then I found this....

    https://community.eero.com/t/k9mprt/devices-not-connecting-to-closest-eero

    Which is exactly why I said relying on 2.4ghz to only occupy a tiny bit of airtime because it isn't being used on behalf of band steering is ridiculous. According to the developer though it's basically magic.

    Then I found this.....

    https://mashable.com/article/amazon-eero-wifi-router-sale/

    And now I realize this is a creepy ass situation in which Amazon basically just made the upper management rich and screwed everyone else over. It seems the core philosophy of the company was compromised and now they rely on their corporate stockholm syndrome subjects to carry forward the message of their "brand" blindly. It's likely things will further erode until Amazon mysteriously starts recommending you movies and keto supplements based on your browsing history. They will ask you to link accounts for the sake of "simplicity", and start putting microphones and Alexa crap on the Eero nodes. It'll happen because it's a service not a product.

    Not to sound all sour grapes here, but I think this speaks heavily to the way router tech is going. App controlled mesh systems with Orwellian and closed off back ends that allow support to log in and remotely control your system on a whim. Couple that with the fact they are now owned by AMAZON of all companies and I would be hard pressed to trust them. They do not listen to customers, their supporters are weirdly protective of a thing they aren't even actually a part of, and they silence any dissent. Not all of us want to set up a custom homemade router or run Ubiquiti pieces. I work with large scale networks regularly for my profession, and at home the things I have that need speed are wired - my wifi requirements are low and the market for simple all in one routers that you can fully control and even install custom firmware on still exists but is fading by the year - especially at retailers.

    It's probably not a super great company at the ground floor as they seem unresponsive, but couple that with the fact the vast majority of the people working there got screwed, and again AMAZON, and well.....I'm going to take my sour grapes and pass out some "don't buy shit from Eero" wine.

    Meanwhile I bought another router and disabled the 2.4ghz radio. Yay.

    Thank you for reading my pointless rant. Downvote me into oblivion.

    submitted by /u/Asuka-02-
    [link] [comments]

    Help setting up MoCa

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:32 PM PST

    Here's a diagram of my setup

    • The flow-chart goes as follows:
      • Outside coax cable -> POE filter -> Inside coax of random room -> POE filter + Attenuator (provided by ISP) Gateway with MoCa "Enabled"
      • Room 2 -> Coax cable -> NETWORK port on MM1000 -> LAN port -> Ethernet cable -> Laptop

    Setup includes:

    My issues:

    • The MM1000 has three lights: Power + LAN + Link. However, the Link light never lights up despite my setup.
    • In my Gateway's settings page, I enabled MoCa however this page shows that it's not fully functioning.
    • When I perform a MoCa Analysis, I receive a message mentioning that a MoCa adapter is not connected to the gateway.
    • The Gateway's manual mentions a solid MoCa light above the Coax In port indicates the MoCa network is ready. However, mine only flashes.
    • I have also tried connecting the extra MoCa adapter before the Gateway, however my internet stopped working.

    What's going on? Did I setup things incorrectly? I'm a complete novice in this area, so any help would be great. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Scarlet-
    [link] [comments]

    Not getting gigabit speed through Netgear Nighthawk X8 R8500

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:06 PM PST

    My family just upgraded from Comcast where we were getting 175/5, which was pretty terrible for Plex remote streaming and our plan to cut the cord. ATT Fiber just came to our neighborhood and we upgraded to their gigabit 1000/1000 plan which has been pretty awesome so far!

    Currently my network goes like this: Fiber from the wall -> ATT fiber box -> ATT modem/router (BGW210-700) -> 8 port unmanaged Netgear switch (mainly using this switch to connect my pc/plex server because I can't get gig speeds out of the Nighthawk) -> Nighthawk X8 R8500 (In AP mode).

    All of my wireless devices are connected to the R8500 and I can get about 300/300 on the 5ghz R8500 network. I get similar numbers when wired into the LAN port of the R8500. But when wired directly into the BGW210-700 I easily get 900/900. If I put the BGW210 in IP Passthrough mode the speeds out of the R8500 are 230/230 through LAN. All my speed tests are done through SpeedTest.net and I've replaced all the necessary cables to Cat6.

    I have been struggling to get gigabit bandwidth through the R8500 and am running out of things to try. I've done a fair amount of research into this problem and a lot of people in the ATT and Netgear forums seem to have similar problems but no solution that I found. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/NoiceTwasACat99
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new R7000 has problems with ONE computer in some instances

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:36 PM PST

    Hi all. First post here but this is driving me nuts.

    I have AT&T Fiber with a Pace 5268AC. The reception in my apartment can be spotty sometimes, so I got fed up and purchased a R7000. I know it has its age but I didn't want to invest in a fancy WiFi 6 router. I just needed better reception. Here begin my woes...

    I properly setup the DMZ+ and my R7000 sees the public IP. I set everything up, I am getting good performance across the apartment and WiFi can hit 400mbps in 5GHZ while Ethernet can go up to 800mbps. Not the full 1gbps but I don't really care.

    My PC though has been having an insanely stupid issue. I own a Dell XPS 15, and for some god-forsaken reason I am having problems connecting to certain protocols or hosts. I am a software engineer so I need access to RDP and FTP. This is the issue primarily:

    If I connect to an RDP Server, it will login correctly, pop the server window, connect for a second and it gets disconnected. Every. Single. Time. I try FileZilla and open an FTP and if I try downloading/uploading a file it does for a chunk (maybe a few megabytes) and then connection fails; it has to restart the process. Stupid but maybe can help... Facebook.com and Youtube.com won't load correctly or at all.

    Thinking it was the router, I did a factory reset. Still same issue. I have three other laptops, I try them all and the connections work well. The FTP? Good. RDP? Good. Youtube/Facebook? Yup, all good. It's only this Dell XPS with this issue. Thinking my computer was going bad, I turned on the old WiFi from the Pace router to rule any issues. Surprisingly, the sites loaded correctly and both RDP and FTP worked without issues. I connected back to the R7000 and I get hit with the same problems.

    Has anyone experienced anything off like this? I obviously restarted my laptop, I tried a flushDns and registerDns. Nothing's working.

    submitted by /u/LordRelix
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Opener setup over the internet

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:10 PM PST

    So, I'm a real noob at this, but I got a raspberry pi, which is on my home WiFi network, linked it up to a relay and soldered that to the back of the button on my garage remote circuit board.

    The pi runs an Apache 2 server for which the front end is a php script where a button activates a python script that activates the relay.

    As setup right now, I can only activate this on my home network, most of the time, the weather allows me to activate it from my phone, though sometimes the WiFi connection drops.

    I realize that a pi is probably overpowered to do this but it's really my first go at it. How should I make this safe to put on the internet?

    submitted by /u/grunt_monkey_
    [link] [comments]

    RAX80 replacement recommendations

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:14 PM PST

    I have checked other recommendations, some are too old while some are not within the price range.

    I am having problem with my Netgear RAX80. Seems that it requires to be restarted on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day.

    If I do not restart it, I am experiencing intermittent high latency, dropped connection, and totally no wifi connection. I have read that there many people are experiencing this with different firmware and even with their latest one. So I decided to change it.

    Do you guys have any personal recommendation (asking this because RAX80 looks good on paper, and look at it now)? My only requirement is consistent connection with no lagging and wifi drops. I am connecting my cctvs into it so I need it online all the time and I want no lagging in my online gaming. Also needs to cover 500sqm area as my cameras are outside.

    All of my devices are connected via wifi, except for the base station of my cameras.

    As to price, don't mind if it is cheaper or $100 more expensive.

    I have good experience with ASUS before, but I am reading reviews now, frankly I am afraid to purchase anything.

    submitted by /u/alvin07
    [link] [comments]

    Too many other connections at 5ghz?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:47 PM PST

    So I am trying to find the best channel(s) for my 2.4 and 5ghz connections. Problem is, I live in an apartment. There are AT LEAST 40 other APs near me and idk what to do. Each wifi is being used and none are really *that* great. What should I do?

    Edit 1: My plan is 100up and 5 down, but just testing my speed and I'm getting 60down and 5up...

    submitted by /u/shakabuee23
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for a user friendly wired router?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:57 PM PST

    I'm moving to a new house and trying to plan its networking setup. There's a media enclosure cabinet and I'd like to place a modem, wired router, and switch inside. The house has several Ethernet ports that I can use with WiFi access points.

    However I'm struggling to find a user friendly, small-sized wired router. While I know Ubiquiti is popular, I'm looking for something simpler with a friendly UI, built in features like parental controls, that's still small.

    Does anyone have recommendations for such a router? Are there wireless routers with detachable antennas that would fit and passively cool inside a cabinet?

    submitted by /u/trelane0
    [link] [comments]

    Returned a bunch of xfinity equipment and now having connection issues.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:41 PM PST

    For years my xfinity account has spiraled out of control and after another $40 increase on Jan -1 i was finally motivated enough to take charge. On top of lowering our service i returned the modem, 2 dvr boxes, 2 analog boxes and equipment alone is saving like $60/month (im including canceling netflix as it is now included w comcast.)

    I had the netgear nighthawk, and frankly, it was awesome. Our house is ~3k sqft or ~4.5 if you include the finished basement. We had a couple deadish spots but streaming multiple roku sticks while using multiple phones and tablets for the kids was never noticeable. We have a wired mesh to the backyard and no issues with wifi out there either.

    I bought the motorola mt7711 and it seemed to be a very solid replacement. It has now been 2 weeks and we are noticing major lag in many devices. The lag im talking about are things like web searches or phone/tablet games that are hitting the server multiple times. Google taking 5 seconds every time i hit search. Or a phone game taking multiple seconds to go through menus. The odd thing is, the streaming on our rokus or the camera feeds are all fine. They may take a few secs to load but there is no buffering or lag after that.

    We do have lots of devices. Amazon Cameras, Baby Camera, Garage Camera, Roku sticks and tvs, Laptops, tablets, phones, gaming consoles, wemo switches, outdoor switches, nest thermostats, alexas, google homes, etc.

    My current internet plan is ~600mbps and that is up from 300 or 400 on the old plan.

    It doesnt seem like a speed issue to me. It feels like any device connecting to the router takes longer and it is very noticeable on software that repetitively hits the network.

    I paid $199 for the moto and the nighthawk was $299. I think my 15 days from best buy is tomorrow or today, but i assume they would let me trade up if I bought the nighthawk.

    I can navigate through the router if there are any fixes to try. Any thoughts/suggestions?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/hoots711
    [link] [comments]

    Someone hacking into home network?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:46 PM PST

    What are the realistic chances that someone would "get into" my home network and try to access files etc? I don't know how silly of a question this is... i ask because i have to setup shares b/t our PCs and it's annoying; I'm sure to someone more familiar with windows permissions it's no big deal, but i get frustrated sometimes. I'd love to just give 'Everyone' Full Control.

    I've got Verizon FIOs, the router is password protected of course. i'm out in the country so a wifi hacker is very unlikely. I'm also careful about clicking nasty web links. I just don't know how "hackers" normally gain access. and if a guy from Russia would even try to get direct access via the router or something.

    submitted by /u/Pooch76
    [link] [comments]

    League of Legends, 300MS 'normal', 60MS during upload on Speedtest.net

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:29 PM PST

    So, this is the weirdest thing I've seen. Recently I've started getting 250-350MS in the game League of Legends (LoL), but when I initiate the speedtest.net test, during the upload part, it suddenly drops to 60MS?

    What the hell is going on?

    EDIT: Heres a streamable showing it in action: https://streamable.com/ru8mv

    submitted by /u/ProfPringles
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with a weird situation...at least for me.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 05:54 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    This is my first reddit post so forgive/tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.

    I just moved into a new apartment on the second floor and my landlord built the building himself. The reason I even bring this up is because when I had FioS over for installation of their "gigabit" internet he did not allow them to drill any holes so the technicians solution was to put the router in the basement where all the other Fios boxes are loaded. He was then nice enough to give me an extender free of charge. I think he felt bad since he could tell I knew a tiny bit about what I was expecting vs what I had to get. Anyway, after some more research I saw that even tho I am using a MoaC connection to my router (I think that's correct) I can change it to Ethernet and use my own router and save myself a bunch of money. The problem is I'm still going to have to keep it in the basement and I don't know 1. What router would be best to use to reach my apartment and then 2. What extender do I use and will I sacrifice any speeds if I do use an extender? And 3. Would my best option be a mesh network? I haven't looked much into these or know the difference...

    I'm sorry if these feels long winded but I'd appreciate any help. Also let me know if any more details might help you help me lol

    THANK YOU!

    submitted by /u/LosDeff
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble With VLan

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 05:49 PM PST

    Hello!

    I am posting again because all my previous post were not the best however I think I finally have all the info correctly and correct screenshots to show!

    Useful info:

    I need to have SIP support because my ip phones are connected directly to the router.

    My phones should be able to communicate with each other. I have configured a Voice VLan and connected all the phones to it (My phones have a switch on the back to connect to the pc).

    PROBLEM:Currently regardless of the Vlan I am in I can see all devices on the network!

    Here Are the screenshots of my TL-SG1016PE switch:

    802.1Q Setup (I had to omit the names because security)

    802.1Q PVID

    Network Diagram

    Is any more info needed?

    Thank you all for your time! If I am posting on the wrong sub please let me know

    EDIT: The Network Diagram is how it is intended to be!

    EDIT 2: Okay apparently my router does not support VLAN although the support page says it does- ergo my confusion on how was I supposed to know if my router supported it or not- tomorrow I will call the ISP and try to sort this.

    So either I get an L3 device or a router that supports VLAN + SIP and my problem will be fixed!

    Thank you all very much for your time, it has been of great help and thank you for your patience!

    submitted by /u/Xavinights
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone keeps disconnecting from newly installed access point. When I try to reconnect it says wrong password even though I know that’s impossible.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:13 PM PST

    Got a new access point to boost signal at my place

    New Access Point I got

    I can go Into more detail if need be

    This shit is driving me crazy!

    submitted by /u/rileyisback
    [link] [comments]

    Need Recommendations for Home Setup $500-$700 budget

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:34 PM PST

    Hello all, I've been seeing some great posts for a while now and want to setup my apartment in a way that I can keep it similar once I move into a house, hopefully in less than a year. What I need is recommended equipment for the following

    Modem for 1GB Router with good range Can be router/modem combo NAS Support

    It's a simple setup that I plan on improving once I move, I just don't havemuch experience with equipment and want to know what is the best thing out there for $500-$700

    submitted by /u/enzoROD
    [link] [comments]

    Is my slave router the best solution?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:23 PM PST

    I have a router in my basement. I was finding that WiFi was weak to non-existent on second floor so I set up an old router as a slave on the second floor (is this what it is properly called?). I have in-wall Ethernet so from my basement router's built in switch (again, not sure if terminology is correct), I connected the slave router. I then broadcast identical Network IDs with one operating on channel 1 and one on channel 10. The encryption is the same. The password is identical. I did this to eliminate device switching issues as I moved throughout the house (having to manually select the strongest signal).
    It seems to work. My question, though, is this dumb luck? Is this an OK set up or is there a better solution? Are there security issues with this type of setup. Is there an easier set up for this same kind of solution? My primary concern are security issues as I'm running a number of cameras (some POE, some WiFi) and I don't want them to be accessed by non-authorized persons. I have a suspicion that I do have a firewall issue with these - could my setup cause that? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/RageAga1nstMachines
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a new router

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:18 PM PST

    I am looking for a new router that features security, vpn, 900+mbps max, medium home size, user friendly admin interface, ip address reserve, and qos. I purchased a Netgear nighthawk 6700 and can only get 50mbps on that router. Netgear support is of no help. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good router or a good modem/router combo?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/hobbygirl
    [link] [comments]

    Addressing Wi-Fi dead zones with some kid/wife-based restrictions

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:01 AM PST

    Hi,

    Relative networking noob that wants to validate that my proposed solution makes 'sense' and is best bang for buck, based on my simple needs.

    2800 sq foot home with some significant Wi-Fi dead zones in parts of the house. House built in 2004 but is wired throughout with cat5. Have AT&T Fiber 300 (Pace 5268ac modem/router).

    Want to add a couple of wireless access points to address dead zones but restricted by following facts of life - Toddlers x 2 - Will pull down and destroy anything not nailed down, so anything sitting on a desk/counter is fair game for them - Wife who doesn't want anything obvious / ugly attached to the wall/ceiling

    To address my known parameters I'm looking at getting a couple of UniFi AC In-Wall AP. They screw into the wall and are not obvious as replacing and existing wall plate. The UniFi AC In-Wall AP require PoE so I was thinking the UniFi Switch 8 60W as this gives me up to 4 PoE ports for future expansion needs

    My needs are not complex. Address Wi-Fi dead zones, and support a standard family's internet needs (streaming 2 devices simultaneously, couple nest cams, thermostats, couple Amazon Alexa devices and a smattering of Wi-Fi plugs/bulbs).

    Does this sounds like a reasonable solution for my specific needs?

    Will the UniFi AC In-Wall AP support seamless transfer as people move through the house?

    Will this specific Ubiquiti AP automatically determine the best AP or will I have to manage that manually on the device?

    Many Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tokenirishguy
    [link] [comments]

    Access Point installation with Coax

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:41 PM PST

    I have some area's of my house that has poor connection speeds and I was looking into getting a extender or ap. After some research it seems that installing a access point would be better, but I do not have ethernet ports around the house. I do have verizon and have coax ports all throughout the house , so I'm wondering if it would be fine just to connect the access point to the coax. Also how would my devices connect to the ap?

    submitted by /u/chrisgeo97
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for WiFi router

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:10 PM PST

    I am looking for a reasonably cheap WiFi router (under $40, ideally under $30) but I do want it to have one or two USB ports to:

    1. Attach a storage device for sharing.
    2. Attach a usb dongle (to connect it to the internet)

    I don't really care about the range as long as it at least has a radius of 15ft and can connect at least 10 device (mostly iot devices).

    I would really appreciate any recommendations which fit my requirements.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/hpar1
    [link] [comments]

    Gigabit internet - router bottleneck

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:09 PM PST

    Hello,

    Looking for some assistance. I have fios gigabit service using RT-AC68U router (with Merlin firmware) hooked up with cat 5e directly to the ONT. I upgraded from 50mbps service. I was using my router's advanced features when I had 50mbps, but can't with the gigabit connection. I used QoS and VPN on the router.

    With gigabit, I get severe bottleneck especially on the download side. Stock firmware without any bells and whistles gives me 800-900mbps download and upload wired. With VPN or QoS turned on I drop down to 300-500 mbps download.

    Can anyone suggest a way to either use these features or perhaps I should buy a second Asus router and connect the devices that need these features to it?

    submitted by /u/Adminplease
    [link] [comments]

    Router/VPN problem

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:07 AM PST

    Hello,

    Trying to figure something out. I have a asus router with merlin firmware that's running a vpn client. I also have a mac mini running vpn server so that I can connect to my home network when outside.

    However I only get this working while vpn client on router is turned off. How can I get it working? Do I need to port forward?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/stoopidpi
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to extend wifi - wifi extenders/boosters, second router, second modem??

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:40 PM PST

    Hi there - thanks in advance for your help.

    We have a modem/router combo - it's in a bedroom on one side of our condo. The opposite side of the condo (where our home office is) gets intermittent service - lots of stability problems. We need the home office to have reliable wifi --- and there is an active port in the wall in that room (our modem used to be there, so we know it's active and it works).

    What is the best way to extend wifi signal to that end of the house? We're open to a wifi extender / mesh network system if that's the best way, but we haven't had a ton of luck with these in the past, so we were thinking a second modem or second router on the same network (not a second network) might provide this. But we're unsure if that is possible, or how it would work.

    Again - thank you in advance for your help / responses!

    submitted by /u/lady-fingers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel