• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, February 16, 2020

    bleeping computer! Tech Support

    bleeping computer! Tech Support


    bleeping computer!

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 01:43 PM PST

    Back in the last '90s/early 2000s, I was chained to my desk by a short phone cord several hours a day for about four years doing tech support for a now mostly forgotten Midwest based computer company so I have lots of interesting stories.

    This call is one of the ones that sticks out. A nice lady calls up complaining that every once in a while her computer would beep even when it was turned off. ok, weird but whatever, let's see what we can figure out. I gathered her info and set about finding the problem.

    I made sure she was in fact turning off the computer and not just the monitor. still beeping. Next, check speakers and other peripherals. beep.

    hmm.. we continue to troubleshoot. eventually we had everything unplugged and disconnected so there was no way that there was going to be anything powered up enough to beep.

    a little bit of time passes... beep

    I think for a bit then ask her "uh.. is there a smoke detector in that room?"

    pause... "oh my god... yes, yes there is.... you don't think that's what it is, do you?"

    I say "well... let's find out.. pop the battery out and let's wait a bit"

    after a few minutes of silence, I am satisfied that it wasn't her computer and suggested she go buy a new 9v for her smoke detector. she apologized for wasting my time (which wasn't really necessary but refreshing given the usual nature of people calling tech support) and I left her to reassemble her computer and move on to other calls

    tl;dr - I spent half an hour trying to fix a bleeping computer only to discover it was a low battery in a smoke detector.

    submitted by /u/danoftoasters
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel