• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, August 6, 2019

    Linux Want to have some fun in Terminal? Try NMS to recreate the famous data decryption effect seen on Sneakers, released in 1992.

    Linux Want to have some fun in Terminal? Try NMS to recreate the famous data decryption effect seen on Sneakers, released in 1992.


    Want to have some fun in Terminal? Try NMS to recreate the famous data decryption effect seen on Sneakers, released in 1992.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:42 AM PDT

    I want to install This Plymouth theme on my Debian

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    I can't install this theme to Debian can you guys help me. Link- https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1236548/

    submitted by /u/Hounated
    [link] [comments]

    Audio driver problem

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    I have a problem on Linux Wish someone could me i tried everything on Google and nothing worked

    I have a realtek ALC887 sound card and for some reason it doesn't detect my speakers if i plug both the headset (front panel) and speakers (rear panel) i have to unplug my headset then it appears in audio settings and my mic has some crackling/ distortion i also tried almost all popular distros rolling/fixed and all of them got the same problem

    submitted by /u/DarknessKinG
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good Linux PDF app that can read PDFs aloud?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:47 AM PDT

    Despite Microsoft Edge's many shortcomings, one feature I love is that when you open a PDF with it, it has an option to read the document out to you, as if it were an audiobook. It's great for chewing through scientific papers, textbooks, or other tedious or "wall of text" documents.

    I have not been able to find a suitable equivalent on Linux. Can anyone recommend a good PDF reader that can read aloud documents? Preferably one that has a pleasant sounding voice synthesizer.

    submitted by /u/AgreeableLandscape3
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting drives?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    When installing a new linux OS you can choose to have the choice to choose which drive is mounted where. But besides /root, efi, swap and /home is there a point to mounting deives to the other options and what does that do?

    submitted by /u/Mera1506
    [link] [comments]

    Question about WOL packets and Linux vs Windows

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 02:35 PM PDT

    Sorry if there is somewhere better to post this.

    I have a dual boot machine with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10.

    I also have a pfsense machine with a VPN server running on it.

    I'd like to VPN into my network, and turn on my desktop with a WOL packet from pfsense.

    I found a guide to enable WOL in Mint, but ethtool showed that my NIC isn't compatible with WOL in Linux.

    But in Windows, under Device Manager, properties, advanced, I see that my NIC can wake on magic packet.

    I guess I don't understand what the operating system has to do with turning on a computer with a magic packet.

    Because the WOL packet would boot the computer, then I would get to GRUB, then choose an OS.

    So does it even matter what OS I configure the WOL in? Or when WOL is configured does the OS not fully shut down so it can still listen to the NIC? So if I configured in Windows, and shutdown, then issued a WOL packet, would I boot straight to Windows without seeing GRUB?

    submitted by /u/slippery_salmons
    [link] [comments]

    What time tracking software is this?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    A compilation of Linux server benchmarking scripts.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 08:13 AM PDT

    Steam on Linux Beta

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    I'm trying to install steam using Linux Beta on my Chromebook.

    I have a command from somebody

    echo 'deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/jessie main contrib non-free' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt update sudo apt install steam

    but my response every time is

    tee: unrecognized option '--add-architecture'

    Can anybody help with this?

    submitted by /u/JayWu31
    [link] [comments]

    how do I make fish my default shell on arch linux?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    I installed it, did the chsh -S /bin/fish command but when I close and reopen the terminal I find that it goes back to bash, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/Thin_Definition
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Linux - stuck in GRUB

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I have problems installing a distro. I have tried Void and Alpine now.

    I boot to GRUB just fine but after that my computer just reboots back to GRUB.

    I bought the computer used and previous owner's arch install still exists in the SSD. I don't know if this can be the problem here. (It boots to his login just fine.)

    When booting Alpine, last thing I can see is a text "Loading hadware drivers ...".

    Could this be a hardware fault?

    Specs:

    AMD A10 6800K prosessori MSI FM2-A75IA E-35 ITX Wi-Fi Kingston 2 x 8gb DDR3 HyperX Black 1600 Mhz CL10

    submitted by /u/EmptierVoid
    [link] [comments]

    [Ubuntu 18.04] Open JDK Java 11 Runtime not working

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:11 PM PDT

    I'm trying to install corpus linguistics software into my system.

    After downloading and extracting the .tar.xz file, I right clicked on the .jar file, then went to Properties - Permissions - Allow executing file as program.

    I used the following command to install Java:

    $ sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk

    I then right clicked on the .jar file again, selected Open with Open JDK Java 11 Runtime and... Nothing happened. What can I do?

    submitted by /u/donnymurph
    [link] [comments]

    Fresh install on a new SSD

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:07 PM PDT

    So I am truly a Linux noob. I was given an old Windows 10 laptop (Acer Travelmate, i5) with no HDD. So I bought an SSD on Amazon and I intend on running Linux Mint on it.

    What's the best way of installing the OS on a brand spanking new drive?

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/dorkheimer
    [link] [comments]

    When we talk about linux, why is it that everyone shows the 'Terminal' and commands to differentiate from Windows and Mac?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 02:23 AM PDT

    To elaborate, in almost all the youtube videos for learning Linux for beginners, they use virtual box and install say ubuntu and then go straight to Terminal. No one really talks about the OS. So does learning Linux basically mean learning the Terminal commands?

    submitted by /u/Batsarp
    [link] [comments]

    How to configure ethernet connection to fedora 30?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    I know, the title sounds stupid and considering this wiki: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-network-config-ethernet.html it is. But, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add anything in the devices tab because there doesn't seem to be the "new" button. As this is linux, how would I go and do this on terminal as it's more concise.

    Screencap of my devices tab:

    https://i.redd.it/nq5koqjwlve31.png

    submitted by /u/wabhabin
    [link] [comments]

    How does updating a program work/pycharm is a [insert bad word] while updating

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    First of all, indeed a great title. I'm a genius, right?

    So Pycharm has an update recently, so I try to update it. It failed because it's permission denied. I've put the files into /usr/local, so that is not that strange. I changed the ownership of the folder to myself (instead of root): same result. So, I used chmod 775, again the same. Even 777 gives the same result. So now I am stumped. I am perfectly fine with googling and reading things for myself, but I don't know where to start. So, my questions:

    1. Does anybody have any ideas?, but more importantly:
    2. How does the userthing work? I have two accounts (a disabled root and myself). If I run a program I run it as myself, right? and with sudo as root? But is the program a seperate user, like in Android? should I create a seperate group to give all programs in /usr/local the right to update? and then for who is the third 7 meant (I know it stands for everyone, but I mean in the context of a personal computer)?
    submitted by /u/AgreeableExpert
    [link] [comments]

    GTK3 Theme in Ubuntu causes wallpaper to disappear

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 11:10 AM PDT

    Hi, trying to customize a fresh install of Ubuntu here but for some reason this particular theme is causing the wallpaper to disappear. Weirdly enough the wallpaper is visible in the start menu, and is also visible if i switch back to a different theme. The theme i am trying to use this with is the Win3xE theme, found here. If anyone could help me figure out why my desktop background is gone that would be great, thanks.

    submitted by /u/inv8drzim
    [link] [comments]

    Microphone sidetone always on

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    My headphone (Logitech g430) has the sidetone always on, none of the online solutions worked for me, the only way to turn it off is with the software, which only works in windows, my question is, could I install the software through wine and turn it off?

    submitted by /u/_Malinki
    [link] [comments]

    Project Curiosity 2: Interesting or funny aps

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 10:21 AM PDT

    Is there on Linux applications that's interesting or just funny to use like Command line based browsers?
    PS. I use Manjaro and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

    submitted by /u/TheEpicNoobZilla
    [link] [comments]

    issues with systemd-udevd using 100% of cpu

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Should I start out with Pop_os or Ubuntu

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    Can you modify Pop_os as easily as you could on Ubuntu?

    submitted by /u/ethanmor87
    [link] [comments]

    It's been like this for a fair amount of time. Did I screw it up? I clicked restart now when it came up initially.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    Gigabyte Auros x570I pro WIFI, WIFI not working

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    Would accessing the C drive (Windows Partition) from Linux damage my C drive?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 04:56 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel